Avalon Restaurant - West Chester
116 E Gay St
West Chester, PA 19380Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Avalon Restaurant - West Chester
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.avalonrestaurant.net/
- Phone: (610) 436-4100
- Hours of Operation:
Daily: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Sunday 4:00pm - 9:00pm
Enjoy our Giro del Menu "Tour the Menu". A four course medium plate offering available daily for $49.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: John Brandt-Lee
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access
- Catering: Please call for details or visit our website at www.avalonrestaurant.net
- Private Party Facilities: Avalon offers the Outdoor Patio accommodating up to 45 guests, the second dining room up to 30 guests & main dining room up to 45 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Kris Kummerer 6104364100x
- Entertainment: Live Music
Friday and Saturday
Happy Hour Monday - Friday 4:30 - 7:300
- Special Events: Enjoy our Giro del Menu "Tour the Menu". A four course medium plate tour of the menu $49
A word from Avalon Restaurant - West Chester
Avalon Restaurant and Bar, located at 116 East Gay Street in historical West Chester, Pennsylvania is best known for its romantic ambiance and rustic Italian menu. We are a full service restaurant and bar decorated with European elements. Our accommodations go beyond the main dining area. If you enjoy dining al fresco, street cafe, lined with lush plants is perfect for you and your guests. Avalon also provides private dining rooms open most weekends for a more quiet and romantic experience and available during the week for private parties of up to 45 guests. Enjoy our Giro del Menu "Tour the Menu". A four course medium plate offering available daily $49.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Avalon Restaurant - West Chester reviews from OpenTable diners
107 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (63)neighborhood gem (49)special occasion (40)good for groups (37)great for outdoor dining (30)vibrant bar scene (25)hot spot (18)romantic (14)notable wine list (9)late-night find (6)great for lunch (4)great for brunch (4)kid-friendly (3)scenic view (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/15/2014We recently went to Avalon on a busy Sat evening. They were able to accommodate our large party without any problem. We were seated in a beautiful wine cellar room. The food was fabulous with good portions. The server was also fantastic! It was a great experience!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- reBuntzVIPDined on 11/11/2014My wife and I had another fine meal at Avalon on a quiet Tuesday evening. I loved my mussels as an appetizer. I don't often order chicken when we dine out, but I sure am glad I had the Chicken Calabrese, autumn comfort food with a tang. My wife's short ribs were fall-off-the bone tender. Kudos to Kris and his staff: Alejandra"s service was great, as usual, and Danielle mixed-up a great Margarita.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great every timeFrequentDinerDined on 11/11/2014As always, the food and the service were fantastic. Especially great to see old friends again, like Chris and Alejandra. Keep up the great work!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food & SerivceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/7/2014Wonderful expierence overall. Music is a little load, even from the main dining room. First time there in the new location. Loved it!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/1/2014I have been coming to this restaurant for many years. I love this place, their food is excellent. Loving their new location too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food in West ChesterEdwardVIPDined on 10/31/2014The menu is focused and each dish is prepared in a way that is a special. The antipasti for two or more is a great start offering an excellent combination of meats and cheeses. The salads are fresh and the Tuscan bean salad offered a nice change. The entrees are all unique, presenting a variety of tastes to the palate. Always a positive experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Saturday night outingHillNimoVIPDined on 10/25/2014Great food. Grouper special was excellent. And after dinner stayed to hear band in the bar and have a drink. Fun, Fun, fun:)Special Features:
- Great experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/25/2014Personable efficient service by Sean and others and two very good meals. I'd dim the lights just a touch. Very good overallI would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood gemMsdiningDined on 10/23/2014Known for its smaller, but tasty menu! Definetely a special occasion location! Very good!I would recommend this to a friend.
- BuntzVIPDined on 10/17/2014Had another fine "rustic Italian" meal at Avalon, albeit on a noisy Saturday evening. We enjoyed sharing olives for the table and the tasty mussels in red sauce. My Chicken Calabrese was tangy and delicious and my wife's ravioli were wonderful. I also enjoyed an excellent Margarita. Great service from our main waiter, Josh, and his cohorts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- elfieDined on 10/16/2014We thought the "new" fall menu very limited. The noise level was at the "uncomfortable" level and made conversation almost impossible. So sad as this used to be one of our favourite restaurants.Special Features:
- Great ServiceJim1658Dined on 10/5/2014Although the food was a bit pricey for the portion size, it was very good. Jen, our server, was excellent and very attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as good as High Street locationUnimpressedDined on 10/4/2014While the food was good, we waited at the bar for our reserved table, but weren't we told when our table was ready. The room was loud, the appetizer that came was not what was described on the menu and the timing of coffee/dessert and ordering appetizers and dinners was awkward. We were disappointed because we had had such great experiences at the High St location.
- Food&friends2Foodfriends2Dined on 10/3/2014A delicious experience as always! Avalon is always a treat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor service, good foodTjbpaDined on 10/1/2014The food at Avalon was good but not plentiful. Service was painfully slow and the restaurant was incredibly loud. It's certainly a step down from their previous location in many ways. The wine was good but since we were given 2 different wine lists it was confusing.Special Features:
- We want the old Avalon back!WilmWinoDined on 9/27/2014Avalon was one of our favorite BYOBS and was well worth the trip from Wilmington. It was a warm, quite, romantic rustic italian BYOB with excellent food. Upon arriving last weekend, we learned that it had moved. We called and were given bad directions on how to get to the restaurant. Upon arrival, we waited in a very loud bar. The music was overpowering even in the dining room. After we were seated, we then learned that we could not drink the wine that we brought because they were now only BYOB a few weekday nights. The menu was completely different, and not an improvement. We ultimately chose to leave so that we could drink the wine that we brought. Maybe we will give it a chance again, but for a very different type of night.Special Features:
- FannyMaeDined on 9/27/2014First, back room, where our party of six was seated was freezing. We asked the hostess if the cold air could be reduced, and she said she would inquire, but it remained freezing throughout our stay. Second, most dinners were good, but the penne with mini-meatballs was atrocious. Meatballs were gray, hard as asphalt, and about as flavorful. Third, when the band in the front room began to play, all conversation at our table was forced to stop because no one could be heard, and we were two walls and 30 feet away. We were all dissatisfied, and none of us will be returning. Our $160 per couple will be spent elsewhere next time we get together.
- first time diners at AvalonAngieDined on 9/27/2014Food was delicious.and soooo fresh.The tuscan salad was the best.my husband totally enjoyed his bolognese sauce made with lamb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thursday at AvalonFrankVIPDined on 9/25/2014Nice Thursday night for apps at the bar. Great happy hour prices.Special Features:
- MaacDined on 9/23/2014It was a very nice visit, everything went well. We booked a return alreadyI would recommend this to a friend.
- Good foodLadydiDined on 9/23/2014Good food. Service a little slow but we had time to wait. Not a huge menu but food was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointsjimmon69Dined on 9/20/2014Love the new location and the food is always amazing--every bite! It was fun getting to hang out a little after dinner to listen to the bad! Out for my anniversary and it was a great night!Special Features:
- ExcellentToinetteDined on 9/20/2014It was a warm Saturday evening so we sat outside with our dog. Our waitress immediately brought out a bowl of water for her. Our meal and our server were excellent. In fact, my veal and shrimp dish was one of the best meals I've ever had; and that is quite a compliment as I am always searching for good veal dishes and am always disappointed. My husband had the pasta Bolognese which was also a wonderful dish. All in all, it was a great meal and I would highly recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Would try againVLfromWCVIPDined on 9/18/2014The food was still good, but I miss the atmosphere of the original High Street location. The service was slow - I'm not if it was the kitchen or our server, who seemed a little busy and a bit stressed. I also miss that Avalon is no longer BYOB, though they do have an ineresting list of wines by the glass for only $9. So we would try the new Avalon again, but definitely miss several aspects of the original place.
- Great Food; Too Noisy; UnderstaffedSpikeVIPDined on 9/14/2014The food was excellent but the noise level in the front room is far too high and ruined the meal. Quieter areas were available but most diners were packed into the noisy room. No one was being unduly loud but theft overall noise level prevented conversation. The restaurant was also grossly understaffed with only two servers. We waited far too long to even put in a drink order. If management could abate the noise and staff properly this would be a great restaurant.Special Features:
- BuntzVIPDined on 9/13/2014The new Avalon location is hitting on all cylinders. Great food, nice atmosphere and the always terrific service. Still miss the wonderful patio on High Street, but you can't have everything, I suppose. Ultimately, in the restaurant business, the food and service dictate and Avalon continues to deliver!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Went to celebrateblc529Dined on 9/13/2014We celebrated my fiance's birthday with great food, tasty drinks and lively atmosphere. The service was excellent with prompt delivery, to hot food and smiles.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great RestaurantAndMukDined on 9/12/2014My husband and I went there for date night and had a great time! We were seated promptly. We sat outdoors and it was great. The servers were great. Although we were there on Friday night (a busy time) they didn't rush us. At the same time, we never found ourselves waiting to catch the server's eye to order the next course, etc. The food was great! Great service, good ambiance, and great food! We will definitely go there again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable and eager to return!dinedivaDined on 9/9/2014Mid week surprise get together could not have been more satisfying! We each finished our meals and were sadly not able to enjoy desert since our meal was so delicious! Loved the veal and shrimp w/capers. Salmon superb!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Italian Restaurant in WCWCDiningDined on 9/6/2014Avalon is a wonderful Italian restaurant in West Chester. The menu changes seasonally so you know your food is always at the peak of freshness. The pasta is made in-house and the fish entrees are always delicious. The staff is friendly and attentive. Since moving to Gay Street they now have a bar where they host music on Friday and Saturday night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TandCouttodinnerin9Dined on 9/6/2014Menu was varied and offered many choices. Chef even made a special dish for us.Special Features:
- Another West Chester gemGrandmaNancyDined on 9/3/2014Six of is ate and everything that was ordered was excellent! Service was great...friendly, not overbearing, helpful and engaging. Couldn't have asked for more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!RatherBeMountainBikingVIPDined on 8/31/2014We had a wonderful experience on a Sunday evening. BYO price was very reasonable. Four course meal special was outstanding! Service was fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous new findStollybollyDined on 8/30/2014Fabulous food, very attentive service. Will be back soon... Loved it!Special Features:
- Ramping upwinenutVIPDined on 8/30/2014This is the first time I've been in the restaurant since their move. The food continues to impress, but a few wrinkles with staff training and bartending need to be worked out. We'll definitely return.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/26/2014Avalon's new location has permitted expanded services and offerings, such as the bar, a very good wine list and more outdoor dining. It remains our favorite restaurant in the Western Suburbs with new delights on the menu. I try to enjoy something new with the tour of the menu despite having several favorites. This time the salmon was even better than in past dinners and the ruby rainbow trout should not be missed. My wife and i get different choices for each course so that we can taste and share; great for the experience but hard to give up such outstanding selections. Go for the crepes for dessert!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 8/24/2014New location, but same great food and service. Drinks were made perfectly, cheese platter great as always, and the menu tour stll the best value around. BYOB Sunday made everything complete.Special Features:
- Chef Can't Keep Up with Volume?WestChesterNativeDined on 8/21/2014At least if I had to guess, maybe that is why the quality at Avalon has gone downhill. Nice building! Seating three times the old location on High. Fish was tough, fried in butter, "composed" on the plate, "accompanied" by small mounds of various stuff. Looking but not tasting fancy. The cheese board you can't get just anywhere, and it's as good as it was at the old location. All selections on the wine list (new now that they have a liquor license) are $9, a novel approach you don't see everywhere. Not all that tasty. At $9 per glass they should do better. Seems they might be transitioning. But to what? Tecca (similar style) or Limoncello (more traditional) are better "Italian." For foodie, fresh and local, Roots across the road is better.Special Features:
- BuntzVIPDined on 8/20/2014Avalon has maintained their great food and service since moving to the new location on Gay Street. Dining on the sidewalk is not as nice as the secluded patio on High Street, but, on a pleasant West Chester evening, you could do a lot worse. The calamari and veal were outstanding, as was my wife's monkfish, and they serve a mean Margarita! Josh did a fine job serving us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MaacDined on 8/20/2014We think the other place on High street had better ambience, more friendly to us