423 Crescent Avenue
Avalon, CA 90704Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.visitcatalinaisland.com/avalon/dini_avalonGrille.php
- Phone: (310) 510-7494
- Hours of Operation:
Open daily for:
Breakfast 8am - 11am
Lunch 12pm - 3pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Bar / Lounge / Bottle Service, American
- Executive Chef: Paul Hancock
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Avalon Grille
Lively, central bar and open air dining. This new waterfront restaurant features American regional dishes with a seasonal approach, paired with a world class selection of wines, micro-brew beers, and cocktails in a casual and fun "al fresco" atmosphere overlooking Avalon Bay. The Avalon Grille boasts a fabulous new menu that we would love to share with you.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
Avalon Grille - Best Restaurants in Catalina Island ›
Avalon Grille reviews from OpenTable diners
34 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (19)romantic (17)special occasion (17)great for outdoor dining (14)fit for foodies (13)neighborhood gem (9)notable wine list (8)good for groups (8)hot spot (7)great for lunch (6)vibrant bar scene (5)great for brunch (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/21/2014We returned to the Grille after several years. The service and food was not as exemplary as during our first visit. The staff were polite but not attentive. My angus steak was not cooked to my request. My wife's chicken was undercooked and the flavor, lackluster. We were not offered bread until quite some time had passed. We asked for glasses of water, but were given bottled water. We had to request glasses because it was obvious we were expected to drink from the bottles. We were given plastic cups instead of glass. The staff were dressed elegantly, but the experience was disappointing. It seemed like the restaurant was operated more like a concession rather than a fine restaurant.
- CatalinamanhattanladyDined on 10/23/2014One of the best the island has to offer! We enjoyed a dinner and lunch at the Avalon Grill!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gem in ParadiseRobertDined on 10/17/2014Both Filet and Catch of the day were exceptional. Service was top notch and we were seated at a nice table overlooking the boats in the bay. While we were inside, the entire wall of windows open so you feel you are protected, but yet out in the open. Great for people watching. Looks to have a great bar as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 1010 Birthday Dinner1010birthdayDined on 10/10/2014We had nice time celebrating the birthday dinner of 1 member of our party of 4. Our waitress was very polite, accommodating and even mentioned about celebrating a birthday. While ordering our meals, she informed us that they ran out of short ribs. Later she informed us that the manager no longer allowed a complimentary birthday dessert, but we could order from the dessert menu. When we ordered biscotti, she informed us there were none. When we decided to order one dessert and share, it was served with a birthday candle! We then ordered espressos, cappuccinos and coffee. We asked for whipped cream, however were informed that they had run out. A bit later, the waitress returned with whipped cream that she had whipped up herself.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- special birthday treatlovetoeatDined on 10/5/2014We asked for their best table for my husband's birthday and we certainly got it. The view was only surpassed by the wonderful food and staff. I had the scallops with raw pumpkin noodles and my husband had the filet. Our server Jessica was a gem, always there when needed but not overbearing. Good wine list. Great creme brulee birthday treat. This will be our "go to" restaurant on each trip to Avalon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quality ingredients. Quality food.1HappyDinerDined on 10/4/2014Quality ingredients. Quality food. One of the few places to have a healthy and delicious meal on the island. You must try the watermelon gazpacho.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Anniversary placesk714Dined on 10/3/2014We came here for our anniversary and it was really nice! The food was great- we shared the scallops with the pumpkin pasta. The drinks were wonderful and my boyfriend was more than pleased with his wine. We would definatly come back here. Our waiter was great, had a sense of humor and brought us out commlementary champagne. Very sweet of them and we had the best seat in the house!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- used to be goodBoatDined on 10/3/2014I've been going here for years and over the last few, the food has gone way down hill. It's too bad, because it used to be good.Special Features:
- Best Meal On the IslandHockey25Dined on 9/20/2014I had the short rib, and my girlfriend had the ribeye. Both means were prepared perfectly prepared and proved to be the best dinner we had on the island! Also, the ceaser salad with a poached egg and slice of bacon was a nice touch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Avalon Grille Ambiance/ServiceBirthday2CelebrateDined on 9/14/2014The ambiance felt like I was back in Beverly Hills and the service from Jeremy was excellent. He is an outstanding host/waitor. I ordered the Sole, it was moist and delicious. My friend ordered the Salmon; not so good. Overall the service and ambiance top ranks the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Catalina gemKarenMGardenGroveDined on 9/13/2014We chose this restaurant due to a promotion giving movie tickets to the casino. Getting the tickets was great but the food was awesome. We ordered the shrimp and the scallops. After tasting them I know I would order them again. We also had a side of Brussels sprouts that were delicious. The table was facing the strand and was a great view.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Menu changedGreenAcresVIPDined on 8/26/2014Its not as yummy as it used to be! Especially missing the roasted Brussels sprouts. But service was excellent and so was our table, perfect.Special Features:
- Mashed Potatoes/WinePhilipDined on 8/23/2014The best mashed potatoes I've ever tasted, in my entire life. They somehow whipped them to the point that they were more of a creamy dream, than your regular mashed potatoes. Simply mind blowing... The Rusack Sauvignon Blanc was delicious. That was my first taste of a Santa Barbara County white wine, and I'm impressed. They cooked the broccolini very well. Not too hard or soft... We paired all of the above with their Sol, of which, we chose their lemon sauce.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chic and Romanticthebes2001Dined on 8/17/2014The only place in Avalon with a "fine dinning" atmosphere. A great place for a date. But, those seeking a unique experience should seek elsewhere; this is a typical modern restaurant. The food is pretty tasty and decor is stylish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 1-yr Anniversary dinnerMercMackDined on 8/16/2014Had our 1-yr anniversary dinner with a walk-way view table and epic sunset views. Staff was friendly, accommodating and courteous. Started out with the ceviche, which was not what i was expecting, in a good way. My wife had the (de la) sole and I had the scallops with shaved pumpkin pasta. Both dishes were epic, and that's not an exaggeration. Wines were superb and bar drinks good. as a courtesy to our special day, we were given 2 champagnes to top off the night, and i cannot recommend the restaurant with the best food on the island. Bear in mind, the menu is simple and limited, but this place is very much a 'quality' over 'quantity' of selection; no worries, whatever you order I'm sure it will be good.Special Features:
- sciencemom1PamelaDined on 8/5/2014The food was just average and the kitchen was very slow getting it out. Our server was lovely and the location was great. The grilled mushroom was the best thing on the menu. If you are a foodie, seek another venue. If you just want to relax in a nice atmosphere by the beach, go here.Special Features:
- The following 251 reviews are from the Avalon Grille reviews archive.
- MixedlivinitupDined on 7/27/2014The staff were excellent. The restaurant ambiance and atmosphere is excellent. Depends on the food...the ribeye was tough. The chicken was great. The apps were great. The sides were great. The dessert needs help. The view is great.Special Features:
- MelADined on 7/27/2014Server was not very attentive, asked for water after we paid our bill and she totally forgot had to remind her. Overall the place and the food were good.Special Features:
- A ho hum experienceWinoDined on 7/21/2014We went to the Avalon Grille for our anniversary. However, we were disappointed and wish we had gone to the Bluewater. We had asked for and were promised a window seat, but that did not happen. We had even gone back during the day to ensure that we had the seat we wanted and were told there would be no problem. When we arrived, the hostess was very unsympathetic and stated that no one should have promised us a window seat. That was the start of a very mediocre meal and dining experience. There was nothing remarkable about the food for service. There are several other excellent restaurants in Avalon to choose from.
- LuisaDined on 7/20/2014The 4 of us were seated at a table next to a large group of families with very noisy, disruptive children. When we were seated we thought they were about to leave. Not the case. Parents continued to drink throughout our dinner. It was a special occasion birthday dinner for us. We should have asked to move to another table at the beginning. We actually completely enjoyed our dining experiences at Steve's Steakhouse and Maggie's Blue Rose (Mexican Food). Both outstanding.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/17/2014We had the crab salad, and it was very disappointing--spinach from a bag, a few slices of grapefruit, and crab from which the shells had not been completely removed. Its presentation was disappointing, and it was not vey large. When we commented on the shells in the crab, the restaurant seemed concerned and provided us with free desserts (creme brulee which was small but very good). One of our diners ordered soup in place of his salad, but the soup was also disappointing. The restaurant had a much more limited menu than shown when we viewed it online. Altogether, we were sorry we had chosen to eat here although the staff was very pleasant and attempted to make adjustments for the disappointing fare.
- Great food and serviceMuli88Dined on 7/16/2014We stayed at pavilion hotel which is very nice. We had dinner at Avalon grille one night during our stay in Catalina island. It was nice to enjoy good wine, great service and nice ambiance. Some tables have nice view of the Avalon cove.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good not greatWadiegoDined on 7/15/2014I went here with my family and could only get an 8 pm reservation on a Tuesday. The place was not overly busy, a little over half filled. We had some nice meals, but for the price it was not spectacular. The service was relatively slow and they forgot my side order. My daughter had the ravioli and it was not good, I had a steak which was good, but again for the price not great. Not sure I would spend the money on this place again.
- Nice For Special EventOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/14/2014The food was delicious but the portions were small and the prices pretty high. The ambience was the main factor. Overall, a nice experience but not if you are hungry or looking for a good value.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/7/2014would not recomend this restaurant for the food . great view and staff but worst food i have ever hadSpecial Features:
- Delicious for Lunch or DinnerArizonaTravelGirlVIPDined on 7/6/2014Excellent food, very nice waiter, and if you ask for a water view table, you might have to fight for it...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice addition to CatalinaSueHBVIPDined on 7/5/2014Everytime I go to Catalina I always make sure I go to the Avalon Grill for either dinner or lunch. Nice to have an upscale restaurant on Avalon. Service is outstanding and the food usually very good. A little dissapointed on the fish being over cooked especially when paying $30+ for just a piece of fish. They have gone to charging for every side dish so you can now add an additional $6.00 for each one which brings a dinner here to close to $40 for just the main course. You can expect to pay at least $100 for two people without cocktails. I like bringing my own good bottle of wine and their corkage is $20. All in all it's still a beautiful restaurant and will go back everytime I'm in Catalina.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great GrilleFishMongerDined on 6/28/2014Pricey, but food, service, ambience was GREAT! We continue to return for special occasions.Special Features:
- Fine Food on the PromendadeTheStarLadyVIPDined on 6/20/2014One of the newer hip restaurants on the strand, Avalon Grille has a hopping bar, an elegant interior, and glass walls that open to the boardwalk. Views from all directions, but ask for a table nearest the promenade. The preparation of the dishes was superb. The octopus starter was the best I’ve ever had, the yellowtail was sweet, and the salads large and fresh. My favorite entrée was the scallops with pumpkin noodles. A great choice for a fine upscale meal located right in the middle of all the action. Definitely recommend this restaurant if you are a foodie!Special Features:
- jandrewstone11Dined on 6/20/2014Avalon Grill has been our night before departure dining spot for 4 years in a row now. We vacation in Avalon a week a year. We were there this past Friday night our whole family was very displeased with the menu and the prices. I do not mind paying for great food... this was not edible. The fish breading was soggy with oil and the risotto was not... risotto at all and was not even edible in my opinion. We will not be back.Special Features:
- WelcomingJudiVIPDined on 6/20/2014Lovely luncheon spot with good food served by people most willing to make sure we were happy.Special Features:
- Not the SameOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 6/7/2014Dined at AG many times, but not the same. New menu, entrees ala carte, all sides extra, prices increased significantly. Our major issue/frustration was service. Took over 3 hours for dinner. Waiter opened our wine. Took 30 minutes to get wine glasses. Ordered sparkling water. After two requests, got tap. Would have left, but our wine was opened. Salads took another hour. Ordered Halibut and Salmon. Waiter didn't ask what sauce, had to ask. Another hour plus to get entrees. Never brought our side dishes. Other tables had same issues. When you pay over $200 for dinner you expect great service. Only a few tables occupied and no big parties. We will be going to the other restaurants on the island.
- Would not return.FoodiewithteensDined on 6/6/2014The decoration and building were well done. The food and service however were disappointing. The prices were much higher than restaurants in the same area, and the food was nowhere near as good. The bread we were served pre-meal was so hard we thought it was stale, and this was reinforced by the fact that we saw other tables chomping on their bread like cavemen. From the salad to the entree, all the dishes were lacking in some way, be it flavor, texture, or plating. We were expecting high end dining, and in all but the decor, we were disappointed. Step it up Avalon Grille, you have one more chance!Special Features:
- new chefOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 5/30/2014new chief trying to hard to make new cutting_edge cuisine with poor execution. This is catalina! Just nail the basics great steaks ,fish ect. A few interesting items after you have the basics down is the best "new chief" plan.Special Features:
- Not worth it!SFvisitorDined on 5/25/2014I am from San Francisco, and I know good food. I know what to expect when the bill is almost $200. This restaurant was a grave disappointment, especially since I almost never spend so much on a meal, and only did so to celebrate my best friend on her birthday. Sadly, her dish was so bad we had to send it back ( I have NEVER done that before) because it was completely uncooked halibut, and cold. It was not just seared on the outside and nicely raw on the inside, it was cold and raw and disintegrated when she tried to get a bite on her fork. I tasted it and it was flavorless. My own salmon was also undercooked (and I like it rare) and cold. The sides were great, good cocktails and dessert, but VERY overpriced, and TVs???Special Features:
- Weekend getawayReginaDined on 5/25/2014Our first weekend getaway to Avalon so I booked dinner at the Avalon Grill for a nice romantic dinner. The ambiance is fine though our table faced the bar so we ended up seeing the TVs and activity at the bar. We asked for a table outside or by the windows but were told they were booked for people who asked for them specifically. Our server was good but when dinner came the person bringing the plates didn't know who got what and had to ask us. When dinner for two plus wine etc. is going to be upwards of $200 or more I expect the servers to know what to do when serving two entrees. My husband had seared scallops and I had salmon. The salmon seemed bland and the scallops were better but not by much. Not sure we'll be back.Special Features:
- Worst Meal EverfoodieVIPDined on 5/22/2014New Chef, new prices, all very bad. When you are paying $200 for a meal you expect it to be hot and to your liking. I have never sent a meal back before. My steak was not the way I ordered it, it was cold, absolutely no flavor. After I had chewed one bit for 4 minutes I gave up. Mashed potatoes were warm, sent back three times, finally the server said the chef serves them this way. That is when we sent everything back and left. My friends had the salmon and the crispy half chicken with mac & cheese. The salmon was cold in the middle, covered with some kind of olive oil. Chicken was the size of a half a quail, warm, he didn't get his mac & cheese until he finished his chicken and it was cold when served.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Okay food with great service!JammersDined on 5/10/2014Food was mediocre. Potatoes we're plain...our server Jessica F. was fantastic, made the LONG wait for our food bearable. My boyfriend noticed one of the kitchen staff went in the men's restroom and walked out after using urinal without washing hands (we've already eaten by that point). Meat/Fish were delicious, but they need to work on their sides.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Relaxing, beautiful good foodMeatEaterDined on 5/9/2014This is a quite, spacious restaurant, unlike many on the beach front. We had better service at other restaurants on the island. The food wasn't any better than the other big name steak restaurant and a few dollars more expensive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely wonderfulkayleighDined on 5/9/2014We went for our birthday and it was amazing! The food was impeccable; the service was friendly and fast; and they gave us complimentary chocolates with a birthday candle. It is on the pricier side but the food was worth it and not overly ridiculous for price. Definitely recommend for a special occasion!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.