3377 SE Division St
Portland, OR 97202Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://avagenes.com/
- Phone: (971) 229-0571
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Nightly: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Joshua McFadden
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wine
A word from Ava Gene's
Ava Gene’s is a neighborhood place, located on Division Street in Southeast Portland. Our restaurant serves rustic cuisine, features an extensive wine list and offers cocktails focused on & inspired by the regions of Italy. We look forward to seeing you soon!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Ava Gene's - Best Restaurants in Hosford ›
Ava Gene's reviews from OpenTable diners
315 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (271)special occasion (209)hot spot (149)neighborhood gem (147)notable wine list (129)romantic (97)good for groups (28)vibrant bar scene (24)late-night find (9)great for lunch (2)great for brunch (2)scenic view (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Food A+, Service C+OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/21/2014The food and ambience were absolutely incredible, but our server was cold and kind of snooty. The other support staff seemed nice thoughSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top of the list!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/18/2014We've been to Ava Gene's four times now over the last two years and the food, service, ambience, and music list have been perfect each time. The salads are soooooooo good, as is everyone else. We took a friend for her birthday and we kept telling her the salads were going to be good and she thought, "well, salad, how special can that be?" She found out how special. Plus all the other deliciousness. What's also great about AG's is the wonderful music that doesn't interfere with the conversation but occasionally you will stop and go, "oh I love this song". Ava Genes = a special experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- chrismboiseDined on 11/15/2014Get rid of the $11 salad....... Plain green spring mixed with 1/32 teaspoon of dressing.Special Features:
- Authentic ItalianNancyDined on 11/15/2014The food was fabulous, truly authentic Italian down to the prosciutto and warm olives. It's expensive but worth it especially for a special occasion or romantic dinner. Neighborhood parking is tight so plan on giving yourself plenty of time to park, and make sure to make a reservation. Because the preparations are freshly made, plan on an extended dining experience, in other words, this is not fast food. Give yourself a few hours to enjoy the experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Casual eleganceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/14/2014We were in town from Chicago and picked up a late reservation at Ava genes. All that was available. So worth it!! The burrata is seriously amazing and my favorite of the night. We tried something from every category of the menu. Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience!feedmeDined on 11/13/2014The waiters here are amazing -- they know the menu and make great recommendations, and are very attentive. More than that, they seem to really enjoy their job! (Nicole is especially fabulous and fun!) The food is consistently tasty and imaginative. The salads are incredible, and sharing is a must (otherwise, your dinner companions will sit there looking longingly at your plate because everything looks so dang good!) Ava Gene's stays at the top of my "favorites" list!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but overly hypedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/11/2014All of the small plates were delicious with interesting and different combinations of flavors. The pasta main course was good but the chicken special was overly salty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Geat Hot SpotBobGVIPDined on 11/10/2014Decent decor, tables generally very close. Food was outstanding and service was super. Noise level high. High energy, happening restaurant. Get a reservation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentGeraldDined on 11/9/2014Very masterfully executed italian food. Top of the top of the top. Bring a sweaterSpecial Features:
- EnjoyableDES11VIPDined on 11/8/2014Worked hard two different evenings to get reservations on the recommendation of family members and locals. Not disappointed. Quality of the pastas we ordered was good. Wine suggestion was appropriate. We prefer a bit quieter scene, but we enjoyed the visit.Special Features:
- Delicious but loudOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/8/2014The food and service were delightful but it was so darn loud. My husband and I had to lean in to hear each other and the couple next to us moved to sit next to one another. We'll return because it is quite special, but only after purchasing hearing aids.Special Features:
- Fantastic Food, but too loudJaneDDined on 11/8/2014We booked our reservations months in advance, and still needed to eat at 5:00 to get in on our anniversary, which fell on a Saturday. The food was everything our friends promised. Your encouraged to share, so you get to taste lots of things. Some of it was almost unbelievably good. There was a golden and red beet salad with avocado and horse radish that was just about the best thing I have ever tasted. But we couldn't hear each other. Finally I moved to his side of the table so we could talk. This put me right next to our table-neighbor but they were good-natured, and said they were having the same problem. The woman had sensory integration disorder and said she could never come again. We didn't stay for dessert due to the noise.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too much hypegoodcookieDined on 11/8/2014Noisy. Ambiance OK. Server was friendly and helpful. The trouble basically was that this restaurant has been over-hyped as being the cutting edge in food, and we were looking forward to trying it with our out-of- town son who is a chef. We didn't find that so. There were no dishes we found to be outstanding. Some flavors did not seem to meld well, as in the salad. Other dishes were dry and could have used a sauce. We'll probably skip this place when we look for Italian style food.Special Features:
- A "Grazer's" Delight!UrsulaDined on 11/7/2014Ava Gene's has a happy buzz about it. All ages enjoying the food and ambiance! The wait staff is GREAT! All know their stuff, and they work as a team so you may order from one waiter and receive your dishes from another. All very hospitable and friendly. The chefs specialize in small dishes. A lot of unusual veggie preparations, and it's fun to order several and share. The wine list is good and the staff knows the characteristics of each. Definitely one of Portland's "hot spots" of the moment, but deservedly so.Special Features:
- The Simplest Food Was the Best2seekingmemorablefoodDined on 11/6/2014It took us a long time to get reservations at this popular restaurant. Yes. it was lively and noisy. The menu was a bit of a challenge. The glossary on it was helpful. The servers were helpful and attentive. Some of the signature vegetable dishes didn't measure up because there were were prepared with too many ingredients and the vegetables didn't shine through. We did especially like the polenta, the pork ragu and the panna cotti.Special Features:
- Poor time managementOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/5/2014Made a reservation for my dinner with my husband. We arrived on time and they didn't have our table ready. Hostess said 5-10 min and waited 25. She didn't even apologize or come over and say anything to us the entire time. Meanwhile some other walk ins got seated because they had connections. Frustrating experience. They don't even have chair to sit on while you wait so we waited in the doorway for 25min!! Food was good. Pasta too salty and slightly undercooked for me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice. Great food.NoviceFoodieDined on 11/5/2014Tried five different items. Cheese selecting well thought out with interesting fennel seed donut. Prosciutto nicely done. Pumpkin in brown butter was fabulous. Linguine with clams, while not a unique dish, was the finest I have eaten. Culottes perfectly prepared. Wine list was extensive but a bit overpriced (I might have been biased because I had just returned from two weeks of wine tasting in Italy). $175 for two people inuding one $48 bottle of wine. Food and wine list were on par with many one-star Michelin restaurants in Europe. Ambience was too noisy and tables too tight to achieve one star rating. For foodies,excellent experience and I will certainly return for the foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Back to 11 out of 101111VIPDined on 11/4/2014I had a disappointing service experience my last visit with clients (Not Food!) but I'm happy to say everything was perfect this visit and the food was even better if that's possible! The food Quailty and preparation is among the best in the nation; it hits way above most NY restaurants and has none of the prevention. This is a must for any trip to PDXSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best restaurant ever!YummyDined on 11/2/2014I've been to a fair number of great restaurants but Ava Gene's just topped my list!! Incredible tastes and textures, perfect service and the panna cotta!! Whatever you do... Order the panna cotta!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- best2beDined on 11/1/2014My wife and I celebrated our 35th wedding anniversary and enjoyed the entire night with the help of a great dinner at Ava Gene's. The food was especially good, if not great and the wines were equally wonderful. Our experience, as wonderful as it was, may have been even better if not for the poor service of our waitress. Everyone has an off day, so we did not let her attitude dent our celebration. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Does not disappointOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 10/31/2014The food here is fantastic, what makes the experience even better is that the service matches up. All of the servers recommendation were spot on and the sommelier took us through the wine list perfectly. Thank you for another great dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfection all aroundDatenightDined on 10/30/2014Must try the burata and main course pork. Oh and the salads - phenomenal... Touched every taste bud.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Martha made me do itGuidoDined on 10/30/2014Loving all things Italian we were not disappointed. Our server was attentive. The high energy on a Thursday night was surprisingly nice. Food tasted fresh and portions were perfect. Great ambiance. We need to return to try more of the menu....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely all around!winedominatrixDined on 10/27/2014Amazing service, beautiful and delicious dishes, and a wonderfully curated wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- City girlCitygirlVIPDined on 10/26/2014Excellent food; unique selections; excellent service; an experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent birthday dinnerEnjoyingPDXlocalDined on 10/26/2014My husband and I enjoyed Ava Gene's for my birthday dinner. It was fantastic. I was a little worried that there wouldn't be enough veggie/fish options, but it was fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice, but wouldn't go backOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/25/2014food was good, but not worth the money. it was a one time deal for us. i have been to plenty of italian places that are cheaper and authentic for half the price.Special Features:
- notyoungDined on 10/23/2014The food was very good. Our server was so helpful and her suggestions were spot on.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful food and winetmpdxDined on 10/22/2014Large wine list, tasty cocktails, and some outstanding dishes. Loved our server - she brilliantly explained the menu and dishes when we had any questions. All of our food was good. We had a taste of three salads, enjoyed them all, but particularly loved 2 of the 3. We also ordered 3 pastas (there were 3 of us) and enjoyed those as well, but especially loved the nut ragu - and we're not vegetarians (we love our meat), but it was just so tasty and well done. We'll be back.Special Features:
- Good but not greattravel24Dined on 10/20/2014My wife and I dined early on a weekday. I had the Monday Meatballs pasta dish which was good but too much salt and too rich. Wifey had a lovely steak. Pear salad and Carrot salads were both good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/19/2014Impeccable dining experience. Server was outstanding, gracious, professional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous from start to finishRolaidzDined on 10/19/2014Lived up to the hype - and advance reservation time. Service was spectacular and waitress' recommendations were spot on. Best Italian meal I've had in a while.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I wish I could give 6 starsArthurJacobVIPDined on 10/19/2014Yes, Ava Gene's was that stellar! We absolutely loved it. The burrata, pumpkin dead and hot pepper starter is making my mouth water as I write this now... Colleen (sp?) was one of the finest most accomplished server we have ever encountered, perfect timing, highly knowledgeable about the food and wines, as well as gracious despite a packed restaurant. we shared two salads that were extraordinarily creative and delicious. Shared cavatelli was equally excellent and authentic. Bravo!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, But Very Expensiveurl254Dined on 10/19/2014The food, service and ambience were great. However this is probably the most expensive meal I've had in Portland to date. There are plenty of great restaurants in this city on par with Ava Genes that are better value.Special Features:
- OverpricedDined on 10/18/2014Over priced....the pork chop was the most expensive thing on the menu and while very tendar had no flavor. Maybe I had high expectations but the food did not rise to the challenge.
- Meets the HypeAsobininDined on 10/18/2014Due to the hype around this restaurant, and the length of time one must plan ahead to get a weekend evening reservation, my expectations were high. And, that is always a concern, because rarely will a restaurant meet that expectation. This restaurant met my expectations. Although pricey, their salads are a must for foodies. Amazing flavors, spicy, unexpected - and it all worked well to leave a memory. And that was just the salad! I had what I felt to be a safe meat pasta choice, but was blown away by its prep and flavors as well. My wife had the halibut and felt it was best she had ever had. The desserts were the least interesting, but were satisfactory enough to end the meal on a high note.Special Features:
- AmazingLuckymaywoodDined on 10/16/20142nd year in a row for my birthday. Last year, awesome. This year even better than last. Impeccable service, amazing food. Thanks so much. Will be back next year!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty!Jefe39Dined on 10/15/2014Food was fantastic. Wine list unbelievably vast. Noise level too high for comfort or conversation. Waited an hour for main course. Although may be best food in town probably will not return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Meal I've had in PortlandKimy201Dined on 10/14/2014Celebrated my birthday with my husband at Ava Gene's. It was hands down the best meal I've had in Portland! The menu changes so often I'm not going to review the items we enjoyed, but from start to finish it was all excellent. We arrived at 6:40 for a 7:00pm reservation and were seated right away. Our waitress was so kind and patiently answered all of our questions and gave very helpful suggestions. All the staff was so efficient and helpful. I hope to celebrate many more special occasions at Ava Gene's!Special Features:
- Best Restaurant in AmericaronjmDined on 10/13/2014That's not hyperbole and I say it only after much thought. I've eaten in the best restaurants in America. Ava Gene's is the best. Every dish is delicious and surprising. The food is consistently exquisite and so too is the professional waitstaff.Special Features: