770 N Western Ave
Lake Forest, IL 60045Neighborhood:
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://authenticorestaurant.com/
- Phone: (847) 295-3500
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Wednesday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Thursday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican / Southwestern, Mexican
- Executive Chef: Antonio Gutierrez
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Contact: Gina Troiani 8472953500
A word from Authentico
The Authentico cuisine is healthy Mexican combined with a modern twist. We offer the freshest ingredients available to create dishes from scratch every day. Even the tortillas and sauces are created fresh daily. Authentico's ambiance is a blend of rustic and old world with a modern flair.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Authentico - Best Restaurants in Lake Forest ›
Authentico reviews from OpenTable diners
75 reviews since July 25, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (45)great for outdoor dining (34)good for groups (24)fit for foodies (23)kid-friendly (23)hot spot (19)vibrant bar scene (9)special occasion (4)late-night find (2)great for lunch (2)Show More
- A solid Mexican restaurant with many choicesGary460VIPDined on 11/1/2014I love that there were healthier options, many of them in fact. This is pretty unusual for a Mexican restaurant. The food selection was very good. My adobe chicken did not come out warm, it was likely sitting for a bit - they were very busy when we were there. But I was with a group and did not complain. I think the other meals served to my group were better. But I wanted something more low calorie and without a lot of sauce so I was fine. I enjoyed that there was an option for Jicama with the guacamole but there were only 8 slices served. Truthfully, I can eat 8 sticks of Jicama on my own - was a surprisingly small amount for a whole dish of guac.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 11/1/2014We had a very good dinner this past Saturday. The food and drinks were very good and the service was top quality. We greatly enjoyed the warm salsas at the beginning and the fresh guacamole. Good atmosphere where you can be relaxed and enjoy a good meal. Fun for a date, gathering or family outing.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/25/2014I'd put in the "it was ok" category, by which I mean the food did not offend (except they overdo the onions), but didn't leave me thinking I needed to go back. The menu is limited, and I found it unimaginative. Watch your charges: We were attempted to be served, and charged, for guacamole which was not ordered; the server did promptly have that charge removed from the bill once the error was brought to her attention, but having to police your charges rather takes away from the fun of the evening.
- Our go to favoriteScottDined on 10/24/2014Authentico is not your typical Mexican restaraunt. Their menu choices are outstanding and the food is fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't miss itlovetoeat2foodieVIPDined on 10/22/2014We were told to try Authentico and it stood up to the raves. The food and service was outstanding. We will be back.Special Features:
- Food entries sold outSOLDOUTVIPDined on 10/18/2014We have been to Authentico once before and enjoyed it, however this time we were disappointed in the fact that several of the items that we ordered were sold out. The waiter came back to our table twice with the news that something we had ordered was not available. It was surprising and disappointing for a Saturday night reservation at 8pm. Whomever plans the food order needs to do a better job. Both the ceviche appetizer and the Grouper main course were sold out (2 in our party had ordered the Grouper).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, nice servicedinneroutDined on 10/18/2014Although we had a reservation, the only table that was available to us upon arrival was right in front of the door, where a gust of very cold air would have smacked us each time the door opened. The hostess was not very sympathetic, but fortunately, a waitress told her that a table was paying their bill further back. This waitress ended up being so great, and the food was so wonderful, that the snafu with the hostess was all but erased from our minds. This is not your run of the mill Mexican fare. The veggie tacos are out of this world, as is the fish. Great for gluten-free and vegans as well!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good not greatNerfmanDined on 10/11/2014We had dinner there on Saturday night and the place was busy so I was glad we made a reservation. The waiter was a little odd, for example, he asked us if we wanted appetizers when two of the four people in our party didn't have drinks yet. Dinner was good and not outstanding. I expected more based on what I heard and have found many hole-in-the-wall places in Mundelein or in the city that have food that is off the charts good. I thought the prices were in line with a Lake Forest place and I'd say go if you want to try something new and don't expect to be blown away.
- Great spotBeauDined on 10/2/2014Excellent, food. Great decor. Perfect for groups, couples or families.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Food and Great Service!KathyInLakeForestDined on 9/30/2014I took a friend of mine here to celebrate her birthday mid-week at her request. I am extremely happy that I decided not to order my usual of fish tacos (which are delicious, by the way...) and went with something different. The shrimp entree (sorry, I forgot the name...) on the regular menu was so amazingly delicious that I think I found a new favorite! It was prepared with a yummy red sauce and served over rice with grilled vegetables. My friend raved about her entree, which she selected off the specials of the day. Our server, Tony, was fantastic and the bussing staff made sure to bring refills of the yummy chips and salsa whenever ours got low. Oh, I almost forgot to mention how good the guacamole was, too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NoisyNoisyDined on 9/27/2014Great food but just too noisy. Would definitely go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good foodSusieDined on 9/26/2014Consistently good food. Service is also good. Can't go wrong with the guacamole. The authentico salad is wonderful. Cilantro lime dressing is fabulous. Seafood enchiladas are also great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NoisyUnhappyDined on 9/19/2014We were first guests to be seated at a table for 5(5 Adults). About 2 minutes after we sat down,4 adults and 2 about 1 year olds were seated directly behind us. The parents were not controlling the kids and one of the toddlers was allowed to run wild all around the restaurant. It was unbelievable. We felt like we had to eat and run as the noise was unreal. We prefer to dine in a restaurant without toddlers!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dianeVIPDined on 9/12/2014Wonderful dining. Great service. Wonderful, creative cooking. Excellent selection. Can't wait to go there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food/management need alot of workMichael1VIPDined on 9/12/2014I'm sorry I have to be so direct, as a family we eat out several times a week, our server and the staff were engaged, the manager and the cooks need training My wife food was small, showed up with out shrimp after a very long wait period as we watch may others get served, the manager cam over, but nothing was done Clearly, it was a Friday night and you can focus on just serving drinks and not take care of local guest Not my problem as we will never return, as its clear this place is headed down hill again, nice staff, the manager and ownership should look in the mirror and know what they wantSpecial Features:
- A Bit of a DisappointmentDiscerningDinerVIPDined on 9/6/2014This was our first time at this restaurant. A review of the menu had my hopes high, as the descriptions made most things sound great. However, the food itself was a bit of a disappointment. The guacamole was bland, and our tuna appetizer was overcooked. The fish my wife had was so-so. My shrimp diabla was good, but that wasn't enough to overcome an otherwise lackluster dining experience. Our waiter, Grant, was quite helpful, though.Special Features:
- Mixed feelingsJoleeVIPDined on 9/3/2014After reading mixed reviews I visited Authentico a while back and had a fantastic experience. So we returned and discovered why the mixed reviews. This time it was just average. (I was excited to order the same dish, tasted totally different). Perhaps they have different chefs on different nights. That may explain mixed reviews. Unfortunately, I brought a guest that wanted to go elsewhere and I convinced them that this was better. Bummer, she too was not thrilled. No big deal here, we just do not have to go 2 towns over for Mexican food in the future. I was getting treated to that dinner and I felt bad so I picked up the tab since it was my idea to go. Perhaps you will go on one of the "lucky nights"
- CONYILOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/30/2014Our first visit to Authentico. Service was good, our waiter was knowledgeable and provided insight into some of the dishes. All of our dinners were delicious. The manager came around and spoke with us too which was nice. Wish we could have sat outside but that area was booked.Special Features:
- Not pleasedGailDined on 8/29/2014Although seated right away, it took over an hour for our dinner to arrive. Free dessert was offered but it was so late, we needed to leave. We probably won't ever return.Special Features:
- Delicious & healthyOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/29/2014Great place for healthy and delicious mexican food. Found our new place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/24/2014We have enjoyed your restaurant very much, however we think you need to improve the service..... It really makes the dining experience not as nice as it could be? We were always looking for our waiter ......and I think the wait staff needs some more training..... Your food is delicious.....and I have recommended your restaurant to friends....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy enchiladasNateMPVIPDined on 8/23/2014We have been to Authentico a couple of times. Great chips, interesting salsas, even served warm! Nice outside area with tiny "fire pits" on table tops. Warming lights for the fall. Food is good. Also, bar area is nice. People can sit around a square area w bartender in the middle. Don't know if bartender likes it but it looks great as a customer!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwfulRyanbDined on 8/16/2014After making us wait for over 30 minutes for an outdoor table we finally had to seat ourselves The waiter came over to take our drink orders and came back 20 minutes later with our drinks. After ordering the waiter came back 15 minutes later to tell me they were out of what I ordered and to pick something else. I then order the tacos. We get out appetizers and 2 minutes later our food comes. My tacos looked like a piece of beef jerky on a soggy tortilla for $18. I didn't want a make a scene and tell them how gross it looked so I just doctored it up and ate what I could before I couldn't eat any more of this They also screwed up one of the dinner salads. 5 minutes later they asked us if we were ready for dessert. Overpriced
- What, am I chopped liver?!?!KathyInLakeForestDined on 8/14/2014This less than stellar review is due to the unhelpful staff at the host stand. Upon telling the young man that I had a reservation (which I made on Open Table), he proceeded to point to what must be the worst table in the restaurant located right next to the bar and waiting area. Mind you, it was 6 o'clock and only about 3 tables were occupied at that time. When I asked for a nice little booth off to the side, he said, "Oh, some people are coming in and that table is reserved." When I suggested a quieter table in the back of the empty restaurant, he said he couldn't seat me back there either. I'm thinking, "Hello?!?! I'm standing right here, I also have a reservation (made on Open Table!), the restaurant is empty, am I chopped liver?!?!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DinnerDinerVIPDined on 8/12/2014Quality-better than average, Price-more than average, Portion size-smaller than average. Eventhough the quality was very good the price does seem steep due to the smaller than average portion which made the price seem a bit less justified. There are some menu choices that might have better value than others. It was too chilly to dine on the patio on this August evening (unseasonably cold breeze coming inland from Lake Michigan) but it looks so nice we plan to be back to give it a try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fridayniterDined on 8/8/2014It was highly recommended and it did not disappoint us. The service was very attentive.Special Features:
- Summer Night DinnerTimBDined on 8/2/2014We had another great dinner. Summer nights are the best time to visit Authentico. Cerveza and great Mexican food is what summer evenings are made forSpecial Features:
- Out-of-towner who visits oftenolawsalDined on 7/30/2014Best Mexican fare I have had, even when considering my home state. By far, they have the best margaritas - I recommend the coconut margarita!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome Food, Service OKfirehead4Dined on 7/26/2014We had a delicious dinner. I don't "do" Mexican food but this restaurant is totally an exception for me! I have been there many times and I always order the salmon dish which is consistently awesome, as are the sides that come with it. We had a huge booth that fit all 6 of us comfortably. Everyone LOVED their meals! Our only problem was our waiter. He was a sweet guy, but was a little "off" and kooky in his demeanor with us. Perhaps he was new? He didn't know the answer to a question about an entree on the menu. He didn't have the smoothness of an experienced waiter. Every encounter with him was awkward to say the least. I would still go back and I have never had that issue in the past. Excellent restaurant!Special Features:
- The following 128 reviews are from the Authentico reviews archive.
- WAY OVER PRICEDskinnylynVIPDined on 7/22/2014Really, $5 for iced tea?? Mexican food is one of the lowest overhead foods and this place is WAY overpriced. Stick to El Barrio in Diamond Lake for real Tex-Mex at reasonable prices.
- Did not disappoint!JoleeVIPDined on 7/22/2014We heard mixed reviews on this place but decided to give it a shot. We were one of the lucky ones! My GF thought it was the best she had in the area in a while. My meal was fantastic. I cleaned my plate and tasted some of hers. She had chicken enchiladas I had a special that was shrimp and scallops. I must say hers was ok to me, but mine was a reason to return. Margaritas tasty but weak. Drink beer and order the specials. We will return for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but price service ratio offPatDVIPDined on 7/19/2014Good food but for the prices charged the service was so-so.
- Sometimes you win,MmmmmVIPDined on 7/18/2014sometimes you don't. My husband ordered guacamole appetizer, chipotle ribs and bacon wrapped shrimp dinner. The guac was,at best, so-so. The ribs and shrimp were AMAZING! Came with an avocado sauce we could have just drank with a straw it was so delicious. The guac on his plate was great, much better than the appetizer. I ordered the salmon because I saw a magazine review that it was one of the 50 best dishes on the north shore. It was good, but not great. It was forgettable. The green beans on the side, however, were delicious. I guess it's in what you order because he won, I lost.Special Features:
- Once is not enoughHarryBDined on 7/14/2014Our first visit was so good we came back the next night for another dlicious meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AuthenticoWilburVIPDined on 7/9/2014Great place and wonderful consistent food quality. The service is outstanding and. We love sitting outside, I highly recommend this experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What has happened?OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 7/5/2014Authentico used to be such a great place to meet for an awesome, fun dinner with friends or family. We live in the area - so we try to support our local restaurants if at all possible. But Saturday night's experience was dismal. That's three for three. Not only was the service very poor, the food wasn't good at all. Everyone at our table has been there many times - and we all agreed it will be a long time before we are back. So sad!Special Features:
- Lucky Lake ForestAmyPVIPDined on 6/21/2014Husband and I ate at Authentico on a Saturday night Really good atmosphere- great service- and I was wary since I had ready that the service is erratic We all enjoyed our food- the nachos appetizer was creative and delicious my Halibut was a little spicier than I anticipated, but I enjoyed it the chicken Fajitas smelled divine Our friend who does not really enjoy Mexican food loved the skirt steak- so menu has something for most Will definitely returnSpecial Features:
- Date nightMomstimeout1Dined on 6/21/2014Good food. Salsa could be better. Service was less then average. Not a lot of variety of vodka for mixed drinks. Okay place. Not worth all the hype.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cost exceeds valueOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/20/2014Either lower the prices or increase the quality! No value added. Drinks and food too pricy compared to value and quality
- MikeVIPDined on 6/7/2014Had dinner on a Saturday evening, very busy everything was very good but a little pricey.