135 West 42nd Street
New York, NY 10036Neighborhood:
Theater District / Times Square
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.charliepalmer.com/
- Phone: 2123191660x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:45am - 2:15pm; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm. Temporarily closed on Sundays until September 7, 2014.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Marcus Gleadow-Ware
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Charlie Palmer catering can provide food and beverages for any occasion and party size.
- Special Events: Big Mag Boeuf Sundays in The Bar Room only. This $49 Three Course Menu includes a simple salad to start, a Cote de Boeuf on the Bone to be shared for two, sautéed spinach, pomme frites, and dessert. Menu will be paired with Bordeaux wine poured from Magnums.
No Corkage fee on Monday.
Theater Plans? Join us for our new late night menu served Fri-Sat. 10-11:00pm in The Bar Room.
A word from Aureole
Charlie Palmer's signature Progressive American cuisine first took root in the original townhouse location of Aureole, where the chef made an early commitment to farm over factory food. Today, Aureole continues to shine at One Bryant Park under the kitchen leadership of Executive Chef Marcus Gleadow-Ware. Dining at the contemporary Aureole is staged in two venues: the formal Dining Room and more casual Bar Room. In the Dining Room, terra-rich colors and golden lighting combine to create a comfortable environment and opulent warm glow, reminiscent of Aureole’s original townhouse intimacy. Evening guests may select from a 3-course prix fixe or tasting dinner menu. For lunch, a seasonal 3-course prix fixe menu is available as well as a la carte selections. Reservations can be made here for the Dining Room only. To reserve in our more casual bar room, please visit Aureole - Liberty Room.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Aureole reviews from OpenTable diners
212 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (124)fit for foodies (119)notable wine list (79)romantic (72)great for lunch (39)neighborhood gem (28)vibrant bar scene (28)good for groups (28)hot spot (20)great for brunch (11)late-night find (10)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/29/2014Great Food, great vibe. Excellent, Very quick and efficient service. Would go back. Great for business lunches.Special Features:
- Hate being so negative, but...OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/29/2014In the food wasteland of 42 St., I expected great things from Aureole. My flat iron steak, supposedly accompanied by a Provencal salad that included radicchio, showed not a trace; apparently frisee was substituted--the waiter never mentioned the change. The steak was perfectly prepared as one would expect. My friend arrived and before she had a chance to say hello, tap water was poured although I had indicated she would want sparkling; later her sparkling was refilled with tap water. Never asked how her snapper should be prepared, it arrived under done (a matter of taste, shouldn't she have been asked?). The chocolate cremeaux was a treat, but when the check arrived before our coffee, we were again disappointed.
- Marginal ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 10/28/2014this is a rather expensive restaurant, that fact and the block it's on creates a certain expectation of service. Being as this is a business lunch spot, service is a huge component of the experience. Expectations are not met by the day wait staff. Host desk is good, but the wait staff is disorganized and needs management.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superior food and service21yearsDined on 10/27/2014Definitely a "next level" restaurant. When you talk about elegant dining and great food, you are talking about Aureole!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food. Friendly serviceEduardoDined on 10/25/2014It was a great experience but only because we were able to sit on the back room. The front room is.npisy, no table cloths. A bistro. The back room is an elegant restaurantSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding in every aspectRushedDined on 10/25/2014Quite simply the best dining experience in New York. Service was so friendly but also very professional, we were made to feel special. Best wine list ever. Food to die for. You have to visit this outstanding restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulMangamanDined on 10/25/2014Great food, nice atmosphere, and friendly service. A bit pricey, probably not by NYC standards, but well worth the occasional visit. We had the prix fixe 3 course meal. The only complaint I have was that I had the truffle risotto special appetizer and wasn't informed that there was a $20 add-on charge above the prix fixe price. The taste was amazing though and made up for it.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 10/25/2014It took over a half an hour to get our cocktails. Had to remind the server twice. Extensive high end wine list, but limited choices of wines priced order $150.00. I am glad we experienced it but won't go back. I feel like it was a buy 2 get 1 type of value.Special Features:
- As good as it getsSteveDined on 10/25/2014Went with a party of 4 for a pre-theater dinner. We were very impressed with the food, the service, and the ambiance. It was white truffle season, so 2 of us started off with truffled risotto on the price fixed menu followed by black cod for some and the wagyu prime rib for others. The desert chef offerings were not just an afterthought: elegant presentations and delicious. The have one of the most extensive wine lists I've encountered recently. Very expensive, but well worth it for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed by failure to be greatOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 10/25/2014My wife & I have dined here many times. This visit was for our wedding anniversary. We are accustomed to outstanding food/service that brings us back over again. This is the first time we were left disappointed. Although we had wonderful service from Shipon, our waitress & wine steward were lacking. The chef's tasting menu took nearly 3 hours to complete (we typically take only 2 hours) as we faced inordinate time between courses, despite asking several times to "speed it up". The portions were also smaller than typical, with the final course a single lamb slice, half of which was fat. Even if it was cooked this way to enhance the taste, it doesn't take much sense to remove the fat. No longer deserving its top rating. Disappointing!Special Features:
- Aureole for Any OccasionjerryVIPDined on 10/24/2014We have eaten here several times and it has always been great. Food is wonderful and we have always had great servers. This evening was no exception. We had a wonderful table and everything we had was great. They had a very good Prix Fixe menu for pre theater which had some excellent choices to choose from. This restaurant is perfectly located for any of the theaters on 42nd street or to come and have a great dinner. I highly recommend.Special Features:
- Excellent dining experiencesawesomeVIPDined on 10/23/2014The food was absolutely delicious, great before a show at the Duke. Whether the meal is just a couple or a group of 10, the food is always wonderful and the dining room is exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find for theatre goers!Glenda91367VIPDined on 10/23/2014We arrived a little bit early for our pre theatre dinner and went to the bar. Bar was jumpin' at slightly before 5:00! Outstanding meal. We had the 5 course meal which was timed perfectly for our theatre curtain at 8:00. Sommelier was particularly helpful. Very knowledgeable and accessible. We selected a right bank Bordeaux which complemented our meal perfectly. Wonderful and delicious. Can't wait to return to try the chef's seven course tasting menu! Highly recommend!Special Features:
- Outstanding Dining Experience!bunshunDined on 10/23/2014We went for a pre-show dinner and were treated to a dining experience that rivaled the show in service, preparation, and several pleasant surprises. The menu, while not extensive, offers tempting options, and everything our party of four ordered was attractively presented and unique in the combination of ingredients and flavors. As we had an early evening theater call, the staff encouraged us to return after the show for a more leisurely dessert, which certainly provided an wonderful end to the evening. The desserts are to die for! Each of the three we tried was literally a work of art, and the combination of flavors in each rivaled its presentation. And through it all, the staff was friendly, attentive, and very engaging!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ServiceImpressedDined on 10/21/2014It's been a long time since the service at a restaurant has so impressed me. The attention to each diner is terrific and it doesn't hurt that the food is also excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 42nd st GemfoodieDined on 10/21/2014The location to the theaters on 42nd St is sublime. A no brainer, park and walk to the shows. A bit pricey but the experience is worth it.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 10/21/2014My niece and I share a birthday which we celebrate with a festive lunch. Aureole was this year's treat and it was perfect. The head waiter surprised us with gorgeous, unbelievably delicious desserts. All our food was exceptional. We will be back to share our enthusiasm with our families.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A good business lunchCKFoodieVIPDined on 10/21/2014I took some of my work peers whom we're traveling with me to lunch here prior to a meeting held at the NYC library. Aureole was a perfect location for this business lunch, the ambiance was good, we were seated in the back room at a comfortable table and we had terrific service. I opted for the lunch special, 2 courses, consisting of the pumpkin and scallop soup along with the red snapper. Soup was fine, the fish was very nicely done. The meal was not horribly expensive by NY standards and I'd go back again if needing a nice place in the area to host a business lunch.Special Features:
- Met expectationsBoltonianDined on 10/19/2014We arrived before our reservation but were quickly and charmingly accommodated. The evening continued well with attentive service, first class food and wine culminating in an all round enjoyable experience. Of our three nights on the town in NY we would place Aureole between Cafe Boulud (the clear winner) and the under performing Picholine.Special Features:
- traveltoeatVIPDined on 10/18/2014Impeccable service and marvelous food. The Black Cod was outstanding.Special Features:
- diningdivaDined on 10/18/2014Enjoyed a pre-theater dinner in the dining room with friends. A bay scallop and gnocchi first course was designed so both items resembled each other and, along with accompanying hand shaped vegetable bits, floated in a light sauce. Poached Maine lobster entree, however, was underdone and tough and a lamb entree plain and bland. The 4 desserts ordered were creative and flavorful but the trio of sorbets was beginning to melt upon delivery to our table. All items ordered were quite small yet very expensive--price must have been based on the restaurant's illustrious history. The staff was accommodating, asking when we arrived what time our theater reservations were and providing an enjoyable dining experience.Special Features:
- Great place to get engaged, guys!JinKDined on 10/17/2014Except of few minutes of waiting at recepcionist desk, although we had table reserved, everything was perfect! Brilliant place to tell the loved one, she is the one forever :-)Special Features:
- Michelin star for this?Jkd403VIPDined on 10/17/2014I am a passionate foodie and was really disappointed with Aureole. The foie dish that I had was uninspired, the sea bass was well prepared, but bland and the arugula salad was inedible due to over salting. I would have no problem with this meal if it were 25-30 per head, but I was expecting so much more and I thought that Aureole should have delivered. Not a "bad" place, but a big let down.
- Great experienceChickenBPDined on 10/17/2014Visited NYC from out of town - great food and atmosphere, great location. Service was excellent. Staff very knowledgeable and offered good recommendations.Special Features:
- dottieVIPDined on 10/14/2014Menu format of 5 courses was only option presented to us when we are seated--but have learned since that there are prix fix before theatre and ala carte menus too. This needs more clarification between the menus and the trip advisor and Open Table info. The restaurant was accommodating when we asked to move out of the area for only 5 course menus- we regretfully did not have enough time to enjoy more than 2 courses in 50 minutes. Will return now that we understand the format-food was delicious
- AureolePatGVIPDined on 10/14/2014fantastic food and service - we asked for expedited service to catch a show - and we wanted the 5 course tasting menu - and they did it - and it was fantastic - plus the restaurant abuts the Stephen Sondheim Theater so you literally roll out of Aureole and into your seats - will go back next time in NYC and spend more time enjoying the food and wine - highly recommend itSpecial Features:
- Aureole revisitedEddieCDined on 10/13/2014After 20 years between NYC dinners at Aureole, the experience remains at the peak of haute cuisine. New location on 42nd St. (past 5 years). For fish lovers, I strongly recommend the Branzino (a true test of the finest restaurants). The desserts are extraordinary. Try the Chocolate Ganache Cake. Mmmm!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charlie Palmer Class ActOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/13/2014Charlie Palmer is a chef who is consistently excellent at his various restaurants.Special Features:
- good Food, cold atmosphereAntonDined on 10/11/2014Food is Good, service ok, Cold atmosphere and tables as bit crowdedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Should be great, but was not.nitpickyDined on 10/11/2014Aureole was a good experience, but for the price and the reputation, I was disappointed. The service and the food were good, but it fell short. Both my appetizer and my entree were under seasoned. I requested salt (there was none at the table), and the staff seemed a bit flummoxed by the request. By the time the salt arrived at the table, my entree had grown cold. There were six of us at the table - While we all enjoyed our meals, and the server did all she could to deliver a good experience (including bringing us an extra desert on the house which we totally appreciated) but there was no WOW factor. I count the meal I had at Aureole in Vegas to be one of the best dining experiences I have ever had. This one was a disappointment.Special Features:
- Poor ServiceSmittyVIPDined on 10/11/2014Very slow service. Plates served luke warm at best. Average food. Cant hold a candle to his Dry Creek Kitchen.Special Features:
- Very Poor ServiceMauiLoverVIPDined on 10/11/2014Arrived with reservation at 5:45. They knew we were going to the theater at 8:00. Barely made it to the show. My wife and I never got to finish dinner, and my daughter who ordered from the pre fixe menu never received her dessert. Complained and no accomodation was offered. Totally unacceptable for a $250+ meal. Food was good.
- Not very goodAbnrgr504Dined on 10/11/2014Service was impeccable. Ambience outstanding. Food was rather mediocre at best and very little of it. I had the lamb loin. It had very little flavor. The vegetables were almost nonexistent. For the price it clearly was not worth it.Special Features:
- exactly what we hoped it would bekldgreenDined on 10/10/2014amazing food, great service, very accommodating to my friend's special dietary needs but also served up delicious food for me; the fois gras was particularly excellent as was the chocolate desert dish. The oyster bite to start with and the pineapple panna cotta to end with were really lovely as well...Special Features:
- Aura around AureoleQuickNicDined on 10/10/2014We had a wonderful dining experience on our last night in New York. Aureole is very conveniently located near Times Square. They serve quality food with a passion. The Champagne was excellent. Service was impeccable. Very good value/price ratio.Special Features:
- ImpressiveFoyandFoyDined on 10/10/2014Very impressive. Service, room and food was fantastic! Not cheap, but worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sea Bass was AMAZINGahomanDined on 10/7/2014I'm never satisfied when I eat seafood out because my son is such a good cook but I must say the Sea Bass was amazing.....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- unpleasant experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 10/3/2014When we arrived at the restaurant the lady said welcome and the man (?manager) began berating us saying they had called us numerous times to confirm the reservation and we didn't reply and he almost gave the table away. You can imagine how this set the mood for the meal. It is a crowded very noisy room. My husband was seated facing the front window and bright lights from a large billboard kept flashing off and on. Thank goodness he was not prone to seizures! The food was only mediocre at best and my husbands first course was not good at all. He did not eat it and it was not comped. Bad time.
- SophisticatedlitchdinerVIPDined on 10/3/2014pre theater dinner was outstanding. Wonderful professional service, beautifully prepared and presented food in a serene modern room just steps from the zoo of Times Square. This is a lovey restaurant!Special Features:
- Just ok (overpriced) experiencefernand7Dined on 9/29/2014Dinner was ok. We choose a tasting menu and everything was ok, just ok. I expected more from the restaurant. It's greatly overpriced for what it delivers.Special Features: