135 West 42nd Street
New York, NY 10036Neighborhood:
Theater District / Times Square
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.charliepalmer.com/
- Phone: (212) 319-1660
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:45am - 2:15pm; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm. Temporarily closed on Sundays until September 7, 2014.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Marcus Gleadow-Ware
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Charlie Palmer catering can provide food and beverages for any occasion and party size.
- Special Events: Big Mag Boeuf Sundays in The Bar Room only. This $49 Three Course Menu includes a simple salad to start, a Cote de Boeuf on the Bone to be shared for two, sautéed spinach, pomme frites, and dessert. Menu will be paired with Bordeaux wine poured from Magnums.
No Corkage fee on Monday.
Theater Plans? Join us for our new late night menu served Fri-Sat. 10-11:00pm in The Bar Room.
A word from Aureole
Charlie Palmer's signature Progressive American cuisine first took root in the original townhouse location of Aureole, where the chef made an early commitment to farm over factory food. Today, Aureole continues to shine at One Bryant Park under the kitchen leadership of Executive Chef Marcus Gleadow-Ware. Dining at the contemporary Aureole is staged in two venues: the formal Dining Room and more casual Bar Room. In the Dining Room, terra-rich colors and golden lighting combine to create a comfortable environment and opulent warm glow, reminiscent of Aureole’s original townhouse intimacy. Evening guests may select from a 3-course prix fixe or tasting dinner menu. For lunch, a seasonal 3-course prix fixe menu is available as well as a la carte selections. Reservations can be made here for the Dining Room only. To reserve in our more casual bar room, please visit Aureole - Liberty Room.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Aureole reviews from OpenTable diners
235 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (140)special occasion (130)notable wine list (91)romantic (80)great for lunch (39)neighborhood gem (32)vibrant bar scene (29)good for groups (28)hot spot (19)great for brunch (10)late-night find (9)great for outdoor dining (3)scenic view (1)Show More
- outstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/26/2014Aureole really surpassed our expectations. Our adventurous side got the better of us and we opted for the chefs surprise tasting menu over the advertised five course tasting and I'd recommend others to do the same. As a regular michelin visitor back home in the UK, I think the biggest surprise was the fact we really struggled to finish the 9 delicately delicious dishes served up to us. Fantastic, beautiful looking food. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic eveningRegisteredDietitianVIPDined on 11/24/2014From the greeting at the reception desk to the petite for sat the end of the meal, nothing could have been better. Our waitress was charming and extremely helpful re: my food allergy. My vodka arrived with LOTS of olives ( sometimes when I say lots of olives I get 3) The $96 dinner is well worth the price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Does Not Live Up to the HypeOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 11/22/2014After reading about this restaurant I thought it would be a great place to take my wife for a romantic dinner and I was sadly disappointed. First the music volume went from barely audible to deafening static for the first 15 minutes we were there making conversation impossible. Next the staff was attentive in the beginning and then became invisible. We eventually had to get up from our table and hunt down another waiter to help us. My most irritating experience I had was the waiter’s complete lack of knowledge of the menu. I ordered a beef dish that our waiter said would be best served medium rare and when it arrived at the table it had the consistency of an over cooked pot roast. Then thing fell apart on my wife’s order. The fish she ordered had to be sent back three times until it was cooked correctly and by the time it came back the third time she was no longer hungry. There were no apologies or offers to take her meal off the bill. I would save your money and frustrations and find one of the many more accomplished restaurants that New York has to offer.
- Brilliant pre-theaterLongtimelocalVIPDined on 11/20/2014The room was a quiet contrast to the busy bar scene. Our dinner was pretty close to perfect. The service could not have been better - or more accommodating. We were asked whether we were going to theater and thereafter reminded to order dessert (they were fabulous) in time. The food was well prepared and beautifully served. If we could afford to we would return often. As it is, we will return in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome food, bright borrowed buildingscape!FandMDined on 11/16/2014The last time we were at Aureole it was in the E. 50's. Food was just as good, if not better; but the bright lights from adjoining buildings in this location at night detract from the overall experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatNykdVIPDined on 11/15/2014It was the second time we came and again it was great either for the food or the ambiance. Great placeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very slow disjointed serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 11/15/2014Arrived right on time at 6 for pre show dinner. Service started out good, then declined from that point on. Just made show for 8 start across street, paid check before even getting desert, then did not have time to eat it. Not what you would expect. Portions very small, food nothing special will not return.
- tommmyVIPDined on 11/15/2014We did this place for a dinner before a Broadway show, so the location was great. The food is very overpriced for what you get. iIce room, with tablecloth service. Wine list is expensive, as they like to show off with Harlan and Bond wines, all over $1,000. I have some in my cellar, and I would never pay those prices. So for an appetizer and a piece of salmon, I paid $100. Too much for location, and the salmon was a weird cut and presentation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Taste and creativityBuenDienteVIPDined on 11/15/2014Aureole's food deserves two Michelin stars, rather than the one it has currently. The menu is unpretentious, but each dish is a creative take on the simple description. There is an unusual attention to detail and quality, particularly considering that the restaurant caters to tourists and locals on a tight pre-theater schedule. Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful upscale restaurant43932Dined on 11/15/2014I'm a repeat diner and I do like everything they're prepared for me, but I will single out the seared pate as melting in my mouth.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice and quiet and lovelyJaniceDined on 11/15/2014When the Maitre'D learned that we were celebrating an engagement, they gave us the best table in the restaurant. We dined in the carpeted back room that allows for comfort and conversation. The amuse bouche of a raw oyster was beautifully presented but I don't eat raw oysters. I do think that they should serve raw seafood for the start of the meal. It is not universally appealing even to those who eat fish and seafood. All the dishes, except for one, were outstanding in presentation and taste. But, my husband was quite disappointed with the "skate" and its preparation. The fish was dry, tough and not flavorful. My Alaska black cod was delicious and tender and my son loved the beef cheeks. Service was good except at the start when it took a bit too long to get our drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't recommend to a friendzinkDined on 11/14/201420 years ago this would be a 5 star restaurant. Today, preparing "fancy food" isn't enough to cut it. There are plenty of far less glitzy restaurants where the food is better. The service was great, but the dishes all seemed to be trying too hard to impress. Unfortunately, we weren't.Special Features:
- Excellent pre theater serviceArabrabwlVIPDined on 11/12/2014We only had an hour before curtain time and were able to eat a three course dinner with time to spare.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pre theater lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 11/12/2014We enjoyed our lunch although there was only two choices. It was a little pricy when you added the wine but very nice for a special occasion. Do recommend that you get there by 12 for a 200 show as we found ourselves rushing through desert The staff was attentive but not quick enough if you are on a time schedule. The front room was more vibrant & airy then the back room that we sat in but it was still a very pretty room .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CultivarCultivarDined on 11/11/2014You will not be disappointed in the food or service!! There is good value here!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A perfect ending to my anniversary!AlmostaVeganDined on 11/9/2014Everything was perfection from beginning to end...especially the trick candles at dessert. ;) This is my 6th time here and it won't be my last. Bravo for creating an atmosphere that is professional without being pretentious with delicious choices!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AureoleGailDined on 11/8/2014We had a stunning meal at Aureole this weekend. The service was outstanding, very professional and warm. The food was delicious, beautifully plated and tastebud awakening. We informed them that we had a play that we were going to so they timed everything so we wouldn't be rushed. We sat at a corner table in the dining room and selected from the price fixe menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not a NYC AffisannatoTheaterLoverDined on 11/4/2014Upon the suggestion of our Trump Hotel concierge for an early evening dinner before a Broadway show, we selected Aureole. What a delight! The tables were nicely spaced, the lighting glowing, and the autumn florals intriguing. Each of the three items in the prix fix menu for all four dinners were elaborate but not overwhelming. The presentations were astounding, especially the desserts. The sommelier was right on with her selection for our second bottle since we purchased her last Ridge Monte Bello. We could of lingered longer over our selections but the wait staff kept us appropriately moving along due to our theater time commitment. What an evening highlight.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My experienceMicaDined on 11/2/2014The service what not fine!!! Had to keep ask info for everyrhing.. Bread, menu, wine list, etc. The food was OK, not greatSpecial Features:
- Great find in Times SquareOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/31/2014Second dining experience here. Menu Friday evening was prix fixe or tasting; chose the former. Menu options excellent and varied, food excellent with several gratis chef mini-dishes to broaden the experience. Wine selection extraordinary. Service attentive, unobtrusive, allowed us to linger through the evening. Atmosphere informal but elegant. Price appropriate.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/31/2014Our first time to a Michelin star restaurant, and we were underwhelmed. We ordered the tasting menu, which was good, however the time delay between course 3 and 4 was a problem. Obviously our food was forgotten, and the main dish (course 4) was cold. Time between courses was nearly 30 minutes, and since we had to go to the Theatre, we just finished and left. The wine with the tasting menu was mixed - some good, some really poor. Last time we order a tasting menu and let someone else choose the wine.
- Not worth the expenseNikkilouDined on 10/29/2014We did the tasting menu at Aureole and left hungry! Each plate was very small, and smaller than tastings we've done at other restaurants. Typically we do not eat in midtown due to tourists and the after work crowd-this restaurant was filled with both. The ambience was also ruined by a huge digital campaign across the street-if you are facing that direction the lights are quite distracting and can bother your eyes. Desert was by far our favorite dish-leave the scallop dish and salmon behind, neither were worth it. Our server was good. However, the sommelier was so busy with the table next to us, he did not realize that he had his backside on my shoulder for most of the night. There are plenty of better restaurants and experiences in NYC.Special Features:
- You get your money's worthMythoughts4todayDined on 10/29/2014While expensive as a pre-fix menue with a high end wine list, you feel you get what you pay for. The food is elegantly served with good portion size and nice pallete clearing entre-courses. They staff is extreemly accomodating, especially for the pre-theatre crowd. The main room can be extreemly noisy, but the tables in the back do allow for table conversation to be heard.Special Features:
- Another great meal at Aureole!FlyinphilDined on 10/29/2014We consistently find Aureole extraordinary in every way. There are many good restaurants in town, but few, at least in my experience, that always provide such surprising, exceptional food and attentive service. It's not inexpensive, but we'd rather spend more and have an evening to remember than save a few dollars and simply get fed. The wine list is stratospheric; I do wish there were more wines closer to earth.Special Features:
- luv2dineDined on 10/29/2014Great Food, great vibe. Excellent, Very quick and efficient service. Would go back. Great for business lunches.Special Features:
- Hate being so negative, but...foodfancierDined on 10/29/2014In the food wasteland of 42 St., I expected great things from Aureole. My flat iron steak, supposedly accompanied by a Provencal salad that included radicchio, showed not a trace; apparently frisee was substituted--the waiter never mentioned the change. The steak was perfectly prepared as one would expect. My friend arrived and before she had a chance to say hello, tap water was poured although I had indicated she would want sparkling; later her sparkling was refilled with tap water. Never asked how her snapper should be prepared, it arrived under done (a matter of taste, shouldn't she have been asked?). The chocolate cremeaux was a treat, but when the check arrived before our coffee, we were again disappointed.
- Street Display DistractingOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 10/28/2014If you're dining at night and facing 42nd St, the display billboard across the street is really bright and distracting. Need better curtains at night.Special Features:
- Marginal ServicemidtownMVIPDined on 10/28/2014this is a rather expensive restaurant, that fact and the block it's on creates a certain expectation of service. Being as this is a business lunch spot, service is a huge component of the experience. Expectations are not met by the day wait staff. Host desk is good, but the wait staff is disorganized and needs management.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderfulsmg66Dined on 10/27/2014Excellent food...best risotto ever ....great service..great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superior food and service21yearsDined on 10/27/2014Definitely a "next level" restaurant. When you talk about elegant dining and great food, you are talking about Aureole!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food. Friendly serviceEduardoDined on 10/25/2014It was a great experience but only because we were able to sit on the back room. The front room is.npisy, no table cloths. A bistro. The back room is an elegant restaurantSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding in every aspectRushedDined on 10/25/2014Quite simply the best dining experience in New York. Service was so friendly but also very professional, we were made to feel special. Best wine list ever. Food to die for. You have to visit this outstanding restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulMangamanDined on 10/25/2014Great food, nice atmosphere, and friendly service. A bit pricey, probably not by NYC standards, but well worth the occasional visit. We had the prix fixe 3 course meal. The only complaint I have was that I had the truffle risotto special appetizer and wasn't informed that there was a $20 add-on charge above the prix fixe price. The taste was amazing though and made up for it.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 10/25/2014It took over a half an hour to get our cocktails. Had to remind the server twice. Extensive high end wine list, but limited choices of wines priced order $150.00. I am glad we experienced it but won't go back. I feel like it was a buy 2 get 1 type of value.Special Features:
- As good as it getsSteveDined on 10/25/2014Went with a party of 4 for a pre-theater dinner. We were very impressed with the food, the service, and the ambiance. It was white truffle season, so 2 of us started off with truffled risotto on the price fixed menu followed by black cod for some and the wagyu prime rib for others. The desert chef offerings were not just an afterthought: elegant presentations and delicious. The have one of the most extensive wine lists I've encountered recently. Very expensive, but well worth it for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed by failure to be greatRachismanVIPDined on 10/25/2014My wife & I have dined here many times. This visit was for our wedding anniversary. We are accustomed to outstanding food/service that brings us back over again. This is the first time we were left disappointed. Although we had wonderful service from Shipon, our waitress & wine steward were lacking. The chef's tasting menu took nearly 3 hours to complete (we typically take only 2 hours) as we faced inordinate time between courses, despite asking several times to "speed it up". The portions were also smaller than typical, with the final course a single lamb slice, half of which was fat. Even if it was cooked this way to enhance the taste, it doesn't take much sense to remove the fat. No longer deserving its top rating. Disappointing!Special Features:
- Aureole for Any OccasionjerryVIPDined on 10/24/2014We have eaten here several times and it has always been great. Food is wonderful and we have always had great servers. This evening was no exception. We had a wonderful table and everything we had was great. They had a very good Prix Fixe menu for pre theater which had some excellent choices to choose from. This restaurant is perfectly located for any of the theaters on 42nd street or to come and have a great dinner. I highly recommend.Special Features:
- Excellent dining experiencesawesomeVIPDined on 10/23/2014The food was absolutely delicious, great before a show at the Duke. Whether the meal is just a couple or a group of 10, the food is always wonderful and the dining room is exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find for theatre goers!Glenda91367VIPDined on 10/23/2014We arrived a little bit early for our pre theatre dinner and went to the bar. Bar was jumpin' at slightly before 5:00! Outstanding meal. We had the 5 course meal which was timed perfectly for our theatre curtain at 8:00. Sommelier was particularly helpful. Very knowledgeable and accessible. We selected a right bank Bordeaux which complemented our meal perfectly. Wonderful and delicious. Can't wait to return to try the chef's seven course tasting menu! Highly recommend!Special Features:
- Outstanding Dining Experience!bunshunDined on 10/23/2014We went for a pre-show dinner and were treated to a dining experience that rivaled the show in service, preparation, and several pleasant surprises. The menu, while not extensive, offers tempting options, and everything our party of four ordered was attractively presented and unique in the combination of ingredients and flavors. As we had an early evening theater call, the staff encouraged us to return after the show for a more leisurely dessert, which certainly provided an wonderful end to the evening. The desserts are to die for! Each of the three we tried was literally a work of art, and the combination of flavors in each rivaled its presentation. And through it all, the staff was friendly, attentive, and very engaging!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.