135 West 42nd Street
New York, NY 10036Neighborhood:
Theater District / Times Square
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.charliepalmer.com/
- Phone: 2123191660x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:45am - 2:15pm; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm. Temporarily closed on Sundays until September 7, 2014.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Marcus Gleadow-Ware
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Charlie Palmer catering can provide food and beverages for any occasion and party size.
- Special Events: Big Mag Boeuf Sundays in The Bar Room only. This $49 Three Course Menu includes a simple salad to start, a Cote de Boeuf on the Bone to be shared for two, sautéed spinach, pomme frites, and dessert. Menu will be paired with Bordeaux wine poured from Magnums.
No Corkage fee on Monday.
Theater Plans? Join us for our new late night menu served Fri-Sat. 10-11:00pm in The Bar Room.
A word from Aureole
Charlie Palmer's signature Progressive American cuisine first took root in the original townhouse location of Aureole, where the chef made an early commitment to farm over factory food. Today, Aureole continues to shine at One Bryant Park under the kitchen leadership of Executive Chef Marcus Gleadow-Ware. Dining at the contemporary Aureole is staged in two venues: the formal Dining Room and more casual Bar Room. In the Dining Room, terra-rich colors and golden lighting combine to create a comfortable environment and opulent warm glow, reminiscent of Aureole’s original townhouse intimacy. Evening guests may select from a 3-course prix fixe or tasting dinner menu. For lunch, a seasonal 3-course prix fixe menu is available as well as a la carte selections. Reservations can be made here for the Dining Room only. To reserve in our more casual bar room, please visit Aureole - Liberty Room.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Aureole reviews from OpenTable diners
205 reviews since June 28, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (123)fit for foodies (110)notable wine list (76)romantic (69)great for lunch (39)neighborhood gem (27)good for groups (27)vibrant bar scene (26)hot spot (20)great for brunch (11)late-night find (10)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- Excellent dining experiencesawesomeVIPDined on 10/23/2014The food was absolutely delicious, great before a show at the Duke. Whether the meal is just a couple or a group of 10, the food is always wonderful and the dining room is exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find for theatre goers!Glenda91367VIPDined on 10/23/2014We arrived a little bit early for our pre theatre dinner and went to the bar. Bar was jumpin' at slightly before 5:00! Outstanding meal. We had the 5 course meal which was timed perfectly for our theatre curtain at 8:00. Sommelier was particularly helpful. Very knowledgeable and accessible. We selected a right bank Bordeaux which complemented our meal perfectly. Wonderful and delicious. Can't wait to return to try the chef's seven course tasting menu! Highly recommend!Special Features:
- Outstanding Dining Experience!bunshunDined on 10/23/2014We went for a pre-show dinner and were treated to a dining experience that rivaled the show in service, preparation, and several pleasant surprises. The menu, while not extensive, offers tempting options, and everything our party of four ordered was attractively presented and unique in the combination of ingredients and flavors. As we had an early evening theater call, the staff encouraged us to return after the show for a more leisurely dessert, which certainly provided an wonderful end to the evening. The desserts are to die for! Each of the three we tried was literally a work of art, and the combination of flavors in each rivaled its presentation. And through it all, the staff was friendly, attentive, and very engaging!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/21/2014It's been a long time since the service at a restaurant has so impressed me. The attention to each diner is terrific and it doesn't hurt that the food is also excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 42nd st GemfoodieDined on 10/21/2014The location to the theaters on 42nd St is sublime. A no brainer, park and walk to the shows. A bit pricey but the experience is worth it.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 10/21/2014My niece and I share a birthday which we celebrate with a festive lunch. Aureole was this year's treat and it was perfect. The head waiter surprised us with gorgeous, unbelievably delicious desserts. All our food was exceptional. We will be back to share our enthusiasm with our families.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A good business lunchCKFoodieVIPDined on 10/21/2014I took some of my work peers whom we're traveling with me to lunch here prior to a meeting held at the NYC library. Aureole was a perfect location for this business lunch, the ambiance was good, we were seated in the back room at a comfortable table and we had terrific service. I opted for the lunch special, 2 courses, consisting of the pumpkin and scallop soup along with the red snapper. Soup was fine, the fish was very nicely done. The meal was not horribly expensive by NY standards and I'd go back again if needing a nice place in the area to host a business lunch.Special Features:
- Met expectationsBoltonianDined on 10/19/2014We arrived before our reservation but were quickly and charmingly accommodated. The evening continued well with attentive service, first class food and wine culminating in an all round enjoyable experience. Of our three nights on the town in NY we would place Aureole between Cafe Boulud (the clear winner) and the under performing Picholine.Special Features:
- traveltoeatVIPDined on 10/18/2014Impeccable service and marvelous food. The Black Cod was outstanding.Special Features:
- diningdivaDined on 10/18/2014Enjoyed a pre-theater dinner in the dining room with friends. A bay scallop and gnocchi first course was designed so both items resembled each other and, along with accompanying hand shaped vegetable bits, floated in a light sauce. Poached Maine lobster entree, however, was underdone and tough and a lamb entree plain and bland. The 4 desserts ordered were creative and flavorful but the trio of sorbets was beginning to melt upon delivery to our table. All items ordered were quite small yet very expensive--price must have been based on the restaurant's illustrious history. The staff was accommodating, asking when we arrived what time our theater reservations were and providing an enjoyable dining experience.Special Features:
- Great place to get engaged, guys!JinKDined on 10/17/2014Except of few minutes of waiting at recepcionist desk, although we had table reserved, everything was perfect! Brilliant place to tell the loved one, she is the one forever :-)Special Features:
- Michelin star for this?Jkd403VIPDined on 10/17/2014I am a passionate foodie and was really disappointed with Aureole. The foie dish that I had was uninspired, the sea bass was well prepared, but bland and the arugula salad was inedible due to over salting. I would have no problem with this meal if it were 25-30 per head, but I was expecting so much more and I thought that Aureole should have delivered. Not a "bad" place, but a big let down.
- Great experienceChickenBPDined on 10/17/2014Visited NYC from out of town - great food and atmosphere, great location. Service was excellent. Staff very knowledgeable and offered good recommendations.Special Features:
- dottieVIPDined on 10/14/2014Menu format of 5 courses was only option presented to us when we are seated--but have learned since that there are prix fix before theatre and ala carte menus too. This needs more clarification between the menus and the trip advisor and Open Table info. The restaurant was accommodating when we asked to move out of the area for only 5 course menus- we regretfully did not have enough time to enjoy more than 2 courses in 50 minutes. Will return now that we understand the format-food was delicious
- AureolePatGVIPDined on 10/14/2014fantastic food and service - we asked for expedited service to catch a show - and we wanted the 5 course tasting menu - and they did it - and it was fantastic - plus the restaurant abuts the Stephen Sondheim Theater so you literally roll out of Aureole and into your seats - will go back next time in NYC and spend more time enjoying the food and wine - highly recommend itSpecial Features:
- Aureole revisitedEddieCDined on 10/13/2014After 20 years between NYC dinners at Aureole, the experience remains at the peak of haute cuisine. New location on 42nd St. (past 5 years). For fish lovers, I strongly recommend the Branzino (a true test of the finest restaurants). The desserts are extraordinary. Try the Chocolate Ganache Cake. Mmmm!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charlie Palmer Class ActOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/13/2014Charlie Palmer is a chef who is consistently excellent at his various restaurants.Special Features:
- good Food, cold atmosphereAntonDined on 10/11/2014Food is Good, service ok, Cold atmosphere and tables as bit crowdedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Should be great, but was not.nitpickyDined on 10/11/2014Aureole was a good experience, but for the price and the reputation, I was disappointed. The service and the food were good, but it fell short. Both my appetizer and my entree were under seasoned. I requested salt (there was none at the table), and the staff seemed a bit flummoxed by the request. By the time the salt arrived at the table, my entree had grown cold. There were six of us at the table - While we all enjoyed our meals, and the server did all she could to deliver a good experience (including bringing us an extra desert on the house which we totally appreciated) but there was no WOW factor. I count the meal I had at Aureole in Vegas to be one of the best dining experiences I have ever had. This one was a disappointment.Special Features:
- Poor ServiceSmittyVIPDined on 10/11/2014Very slow service. Plates served luke warm at best. Average food. Cant hold a candle to his Dry Creek Kitchen.Special Features:
- Very Poor ServiceMauiLoverVIPDined on 10/11/2014Arrived with reservation at 5:45. They knew we were going to the theater at 8:00. Barely made it to the show. My wife and I never got to finish dinner, and my daughter who ordered from the pre fixe menu never received her dessert. Complained and no accomodation was offered. Totally unacceptable for a $250+ meal. Food was good.
- Not very goodAbnrgr504Dined on 10/11/2014Service was impeccable. Ambience outstanding. Food was rather mediocre at best and very little of it. I had the lamb loin. It had very little flavor. The vegetables were almost nonexistent. For the price it clearly was not worth it.Special Features:
- exactly what we hoped it would bekldgreenDined on 10/10/2014amazing food, great service, very accommodating to my friend's special dietary needs but also served up delicious food for me; the fois gras was particularly excellent as was the chocolate desert dish. The oyster bite to start with and the pineapple panna cotta to end with were really lovely as well...Special Features:
- Aura around AureoleQuickNicDined on 10/10/2014We had a wonderful dining experience on our last night in New York. Aureole is very conveniently located near Times Square. They serve quality food with a passion. The Champagne was excellent. Service was impeccable. Very good value/price ratio.Special Features:
- ImpressiveFoyandFoyDined on 10/10/2014Very impressive. Service, room and food was fantastic! Not cheap, but worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sea Bass was AMAZINGahomanDined on 10/7/2014I'm never satisfied when I eat seafood out because my son is such a good cook but I must say the Sea Bass was amazing.....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- unpleasant experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 10/3/2014When we arrived at the restaurant the lady said welcome and the man (?manager) began berating us saying they had called us numerous times to confirm the reservation and we didn't reply and he almost gave the table away. You can imagine how this set the mood for the meal. It is a crowded very noisy room. My husband was seated facing the front window and bright lights from a large billboard kept flashing off and on. Thank goodness he was not prone to seizures! The food was only mediocre at best and my husbands first course was not good at all. He did not eat it and it was not comped. Bad time.
- SophisticatedlitchdinerVIPDined on 10/3/2014pre theater dinner was outstanding. Wonderful professional service, beautifully prepared and presented food in a serene modern room just steps from the zoo of Times Square. This is a lovey restaurant!Special Features:
- Just ok (overpriced) experiencefernand7Dined on 9/29/2014Dinner was ok. We choose a tasting menu and everything was ok, just ok. I expected more from the restaurant. It's greatly overpriced for what it delivers.Special Features:
- Flawless, scintillating dishesabsolutepalateVIPDined on 9/28/2014The food is inventive, delicious, and beautifully presented. I was very impressed. Well chosen wines by the glass.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Impeccable service!kumiDined on 9/27/2014We were late for our reservation and had theater tickets. Our waitress rushed our food and discounted our bill for making us wait.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor performance by staffrjgarnoldVIPDined on 9/27/2014We arrived for a pre theater (prix fixe) dinner at 6 pm. By 7:40 our food had not arrived. We had spoken to the waitress at 7:15 and her response was inadequate. The maitre d' never came over to apologize. We walked out and the maitre d' did not offer us any compensation. Terrible experience for such an upscale place. We have been there numerous times and never experienced such an amateurish performance.
- Always the Best!DGFGVIPDined on 9/27/2014This is one of our favorite restaurants. The food is excellent, the presentation is beautiful and the ambience is sophisticated and romantic. We love it there!Special Features:
- A Great Find in Times Squarefoodie4lifeDined on 9/26/2014I was looking for an upscale restaurant to kick-off my birthday festivities that was in walking distance of the Lunt-Fontaine theater where Motown the Musical is playing. Aureole met all my expectations and then some. The service was amazing, the food took my palette to new heighs (the 3 course prix fixe was perfect) and the ambiance gave way to my celebratory mood. A great find in Times Square!Special Features:
- A favorite!Ipi65Dined on 9/21/2014Great knowledgeable pleasant staff. We went after the theatre on Sunday night. Terrific dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unfortunately, not worth the priceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/20/2014The food is quite good; the service is professional; the setting is very nice. We were there pre-theatre, ordered at 6:15, and explicitly told them that we needed to be done by 7:45. We did not get our entrees until about 7:40. Obviously, for a $96 or so prix fixe, having to scarf down your food is not ideal. They suggested, quite nicely, that we come back for the dessert (that was included) after theater and we did. While the food was very good, I've had numerous meals in NYC that were as good or better for substantially less, meaning I wouldn't go back. I also note that the sommelier was extremely pretentious, and embarrassed my unsophisticated colleague ordering the wine by repeatedly asking questions that he couldn't answer.Special Features:
- Great Service - Perfect for PreShowilovefoodDined on 9/20/2014My husband and I booked a last minute 5pm reservation (It's all they had available) here before an 8pm show, and at first were worried we were going to have too much time before the show because so many places like this rush you out so they can turn over the tables. But the staff was wonderful and we did not feel rushed whatsoever and were sitting until almost 7pm. The Aureole (pronounced like "Oriole") was a great sweet drink and the Liberty was a great stiff drink. The scallops app was scrape-your-plate good, and the seabass which was very light and tasty. My husband also had the scallops app and then the lobster. (Of the two entrees the lobster was better). Dessert was delicious too- we'll definitely be going back soon!Special Features:
- UnderwhelmedNAM30Dined on 9/19/2014We went to this restaurant before seeing a broadway show. The staff was very attentive and mindful of time so we wouldn't be late for the show, but our waitress lacked personality. Food was just okay, not at all up to my expectations. We left feeling hungry and shocked by the overpriced bill for a mediocre dinner.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/19/2014I went there to celebrate my birthday. it couldn't have been any better. The wait staff is extraordinary! The tasting menu was devine!!Special Features:
- Excellent - as alwayssanjivVIPDined on 9/19/2014This place never fails to delight with outstanding service and very good food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.