135 West 42nd Street
New York, NY 10036Neighborhood:
Theater District / Times Square
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.charliepalmer.com/
- Phone: 2123191660x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:45am - 2:15pm; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm. Temporarily closed on Sundays until September 7, 2014.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Marcus Gleadow-Ware
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Charlie Palmer catering can provide food and beverages for any occasion and party size.
- Special Events: Big Mag Boeuf Sundays in The Bar Room only. This $49 Three Course Menu includes a simple salad to start, a Cote de Boeuf on the Bone to be shared for two, sautéed spinach, pomme frites, and dessert. Menu will be paired with Bordeaux wine poured from Magnums.
No Corkage fee on Monday.
Theater Plans? Join us for our new late night menu served Fri-Sat. 10-11:00pm in The Bar Room.
A word from Aureole
Charlie Palmer's signature Progressive American cuisine first took root in the original townhouse location of Aureole, where the chef made an early commitment to farm over factory food. Today, Aureole continues to shine at One Bryant Park under the kitchen leadership of Executive Chef Marcus Gleadow-Ware. Dining at the contemporary Aureole is staged in two venues: the formal Dining Room and more casual Bar Room. In the Dining Room, terra-rich colors and golden lighting combine to create a comfortable environment and opulent warm glow, reminiscent of Aureole’s original townhouse intimacy. Evening guests may select from a 3-course prix fixe or tasting dinner menu. For lunch, a seasonal 3-course prix fixe menu is available as well as a la carte selections. Reservations can be made here for the Dining Room only. To reserve in our more casual bar room, please visit Aureole - Liberty Room.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Aureole reviews from OpenTable diners
193 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (122)fit for foodies (104)romantic (75)notable wine list (55)great for lunch (32)good for groups (20)neighborhood gem (18)vibrant bar scene (18)hot spot (15)great for brunch (12)late-night find (8)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Sea Bass and Roasted Wagyu BeefOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/27/2014My wife and I had a wonderful meal at Ariole. We chose the prix fixe dinner meal. She had the gnocchi and I had the tuna for the first course. Both were good but the Sea Bass and the Roasted Wagyu Beef were excellent and the reason why you go to good places to dine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent, yet underwhelmedOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/23/2014There is no question that Aureole produces exceptional food - the five course tasting menu was beautifully presented and had well conceived flavor profiles. The wine list provided a wide range of well considered selections and the atmosphere is elegant. However, it was the service that fell short of the measure of other restaurants of Aureole's caliber. Servers seemed to lack passion and this created a sterile and robotic interaction. Friendliness, enthusiasm, and attentiveness differentiates restaurants in this class. This was lacking from our experience at Aureole.Special Features:
- Best Pre-Theater Optionjpc1040VIPDined on 8/22/2014Visited Friday night before a play. Arrived at 6:00 and was asked when we needed to leave and we said 7:30. My wife I had the three course menu and finished on time while never feeling rushed. The food was delicious and the service attentive. Good recommendations from the wine steward. Plan to return on our next trip to NYC.Special Features:
- Just fantasticTrininanciDined on 8/18/2014Eating at Aureole is a gastronomic delight. The food is fantastic - well presented, delicious and imaginative. The little surprise extras are also a treat. We were celebrating a birthday and it was even more special. The staff is knowledgeable and always ready to share their knowledge.Special Features:
- surpringly deliciousshellwomanDined on 8/12/2014We were in a rush for the theater so only had salad and appetizers but everything was deliciousSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Embarrasment...OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/11/2014I took two friends to Aureole during Restaurant Week as a "thank you" gift. I made a reservation on Open Table, and we got seated in the back. No questions asked. Then the server gave her speech about the menu. However, they didn't give us the Restaurant Week Menu. When I asked for it, the server said that we were not seated in the Restaurant Week section, and if we wanted that menu, we'd have to sit out in the bar area. The bar area is fine, but it was quite humiliating to then have to sit in the "fancy" dining room with everybody staring at us for 15 minutes while they ran around and tried to find a table in the bar. It ruined the evening. This place should have more class.
- OutstandingdivaduckDined on 8/11/2014No more needs to be said. Great service and food. Been going to this restaurant when it was on the upper west side. Great new location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- perfect for celebrationOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/8/2014We were in NYC for a birthday celebration. Aureole was a perfect addition to our trip. Great wine list. Having to choose between Insignia and Opus is not a bad choice to make. Food and service were perfect all around.Special Features:
- Best in NYCOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/7/2014Absolutely fabulous as always. What a treat. the best overall restaurant in NYC. What class, from wine service through desert.Special Features:
- Splendid eveningKenwuVIPDined on 8/4/2014Elegant dinning room with very pleasant and attentive staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ReasonablefatNbaldDined on 8/4/2014Went for biz lunch with a partner. Took the Prix Fix. Soup had no flavor, and the veal was okay. There are many other restaurants in mid-town that are as good as Aureole. Service was very professional - offered bread couple of times, filled water as soon as our glass was half full, etc. Bottom line - reasonable, but not more
- Excellent FindOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/31/2014Wife and I were looking for a place to eat and happened upon Aureole. It's like finding that needle in a haystack. We did the tasting menu, I did the regular, the chef was gracious enough to do a vegetarian for my wife. We also did the wine pairing as well, the sommelier was quite knowledgable and very appreciative of the feedback given. The wines were paired splendidly. Very fine dinning all around, and if there weren't so many other options to choose from in NYC we'd totally be back on our short journey here.Special Features:
- julieDined on 7/31/2014I had poached lobster which I thought had an aftertaste and probably was a little off. My dtr had chicken breast which she thought dry and the watercress sauce which would have moistened it was unpalatable to her taste. We waited for a while for the wait staff to notice we had been seated. Since we dined early, pretheater, they were not busy, just not interested. Overall, I'd never go back.
- I expected morebrooklynparentDined on 7/31/2014I was excited to go to For a business lunch since I had heard good things. It happened to be restaurant week so I got the price fixe lunch. Big mistake - the chilled pea soup was mealy and disgusting. And the veal entree was so tough that I couldn't even cut it.Special Features:
- A bright experienceWellfedVIPDined on 7/28/2014We accidentally reserved at the formal dining room, but the restaurant was very nice and accommodated our error, with little wait.The bar was packed with young people and tourists. Unfortunately, a MEGA bright screen was installed across the street, which created a very bright indoor dining experience. It was impossible not to be distracted and over stimulated but it was less enjoyable. The formal dining room is probably more shielded from the lights. The food was delicious, and the weight staff just attentive enough, and extremely nice. If you take a "doggy bag" as the main course was probably enough for 2-3 people, they give you a cute coat-check-like button, and you pick up the food in a nice bag on your way out. It's a cute little touchSpecial Features:
- DisappointedPat1mcDined on 7/26/2014Food was very good. Service was horrible. Maybe we were there on a bad night but I was really angry when I left.Special Features:
- Great Business LunchOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/21/2014Brought a client for a working lunch. Great decision! Service was impeccable and the food was fantastic!Special Features:
- Awesome ChefgandersonDined on 7/18/2014Beautiful meal and service. Several delicious meat, fish, and vegetarian options. Great wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Real food in the theater districtWanderingseniorVIPDined on 7/18/2014If the theater district is temporarily your New York City neighborhood I can offer your new favorite neighborhood gem-Aureole. It's wonderful to find a restaurant notable for great cuisine and service, just steps from your hotel! The menu offers a variety of items featuring the freshest of ingredients from oysters on the half shell to Hudson Valley fois gras and dishest which feature innovative preparation like meringue studded red velvet cake. Enjoy eating like a foodie, but expect to pay the price.Special Features:
- soon gooooooddddluckylanaDined on 7/17/2014The best. Food was excellent. Waiter was a VIA trained chef. Treated us like royalty. Had cod & foil gras. All excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingGoodeatsJDDined on 7/12/2014Food and service are severely underrated at this amazing restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food, service & locationOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/12/2014We had dinner at Aureole on Saturday night before a show at the Stephen Sondheim Theater which steps away. If you are looking for pre-theater fine dining you would be hard pressed to find better. The options are a set tasting menu or a 3 course Prix Fixe meal. Due to time, we opted for prix fixe, and even so the options left us with hard choices to make because they all looked delicious. But once that hard work was completed we could not have been happier. We were glad to have chosen the back room as the casual front room was loud and the bright billboard across the street was distracting. The service was professional and unobtrusive. The food was outstanding across the board. While expensive, great experience and value.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First rate food and serviceDeeDee9Dined on 7/9/2014Birthday dinner was perfect. Exceptional food and top notch service (thanks, Jackie!), great wine list. Would definitely go back. Restaurant called after we left to report an item (lens cap) we inadvertently left at our table. They graciously held it until we could get back the next day to pick it up. Above and beyond. A+Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/9/2014We had lunch before a matinee. We both choose the fix price menu. I had the heirloom tomato salad which was ok and my husband had the soup which was bland and a small quantity. I had sea bass. The portion was small but the fish was very tasty. The skin was crisp and the fish very moist and it was seasoned perfectly. My husband had veal which he liked and it was a reasonable portion. I had the eclair which I found the chocolate too bitter for my taste but my husband liked it. He had the strawberry shortcake which was OK. The service pleasant but very slow.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous pre-theaterPDXFoodieDined on 7/8/2014Excellent pre- fix dinner, not your usual overpriced and poor quality pre-theater fare.Special Features:
- LetzeatoutVIPDined on 7/8/2014A nice lunch...it's my 2nd time at the new Aureole, once for dinner. Just not as good as the original.
- Heavenly foodGamma8Dined on 7/7/2014This was our second time at Aureole. Both times have been fantastic. The staff is very attentive and the food is from heaven.Special Features:
- THE RESTAURANT WAS CLOSED !!stoodupDined on 7/6/2014We booked a reservation through OPEN TABLE for a 6 pm this past Sunday evening (July 6th) and arrived at the restaurant to find out that it was closed. In the future I will call the restaurant directly (especially on weekends) because you did not have the correct information in your reservation system. Needless to say, I was disappointed.
- Best place for pre theater dinnerAndreVIPDined on 7/3/2014This is the perfect spot for pre theater dinner. The food is outstanding and the theaters are just around the corner. Service and execution were excellent as well.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for dinnerMikswifeVIPDined on 7/3/2014My friend and I were in NYC for the July 4th weekend. I had tix to see Beautiful, which is playing next door. This restaurant is areal find. The server was excellent. We had a nice leisurely meal and it was delicious. My friend ordered the baby arugula salad and loved the citrus notes in the dressing. I had the ravioli in a heirloom tomato sauce which was very tasty. I also had the salmon entree. Excellent! The skin was crispy and the fish cooked to perfect medium. My friend had the steak with potatoes and vegetables. She enjoyed it very much. We both had the fresh melon and lemon sorbet dessert and it proved to be the perfect palate cleanser. Very refreshing. Next time I am in town I will be going to Aureole.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great restaurantsonechkaDined on 7/2/2014It was our first time at this place. We got there with my husband for our anniversary. The food is outstanding, the service's great. wine menu- awesome. Its pricey though, not for often visits. But for special occasions, wonderful place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Such a wonderful experienceEvanDined on 6/30/2014This was a huge highlight if not THE highlight of my trip to New York. The food was the most delicious I've ever tasted, and the service staff was phenomenal in their politeness and service. Since returning home, this has been the part of the trip that my wife and I tell the most detail about when friends ask what we did. Everything was beautifully presented and was truly delicious. I would hope we can return soon. There probably isn't another trip to New York for us too soon, but when there is I will be sure to come back to Areole!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good business lunch in Times SquareDPR6Dined on 6/30/2014Restaurant is a good selection for a casual business lunch in Times Square, although the tables are very close together. Service was very efficient. Food was good.Special Features:
- AureolerinsdbVIPDined on 6/27/2014Funky location belies imaginative space design and the cuisine is delectable and the service excellentSpecial Features:
- Irregular experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/26/2014Have been a regular guest at Aureole...this recent experience was not up to par. While the food was its usual 5 star, Service in the main dining room was extremely poor with long waits and no one to check in on us.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but ...pkf242VIPDined on 6/25/2014very good service, good location if attending the theatre, good ambience and vibe. The negative would be the price vs. amount of food. We live in NY and dine out a lot - not looking for a plate full of food, but my husband ordered the pork chop and recvd one small bone of which they carved out 2 small slices of meat. By the time he took the fat off - there was almost nothing to eat. The bill was over $200 with one glass of wine. My husband was starving and ready to hit Porter House for some sliders. Now that is a restaurant that gets it right.
- Excellent dining experiencePickyVIPDined on 6/24/2014The place was beautiful the food really good the service was excellent the dessert was amazingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 1peachDined on 6/23/2014We had been to Aureole a number of times before while it was in its old location and decided to go try it in its new place for lunch as we were in town. The food and service were excellent as before, the larger restaurant very impressive in a more formal sort of way. We enjoyed it very much, although I must admit, the old layout in a townhouse had a friendlier character.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great, as always!Beinda7Dined on 6/21/2014My husband and I had dinner here Saturday. The food was spectacular, as always! Great service, great ambience- what more could you ask for? One of our favorite go-tos when in NYC! We will be back!Special Features:
- All great but looked at the bill.LarryVIPDined on 6/20/2014Everything was really great. The good was amazing and had a bottle of Turley Zin that was $110. When I got the bill it showed it at $155. Correction made and moved on. No other Turley win was even close to that price.I would recommend this to a friend.