135 West 42nd Street
New York, NY 10036Neighborhood:
Theater District / Times Square
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.charliepalmer.com/
- Phone: 2123191660x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:45am - 2:15pm; Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm. Temporarily closed on Sundays until September 7, 2014.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Marcus Gleadow-Ware
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Charlie Palmer catering can provide food and beverages for any occasion and party size.
- Special Events: Big Mag Boeuf Sundays in The Bar Room only. This $49 Three Course Menu includes a simple salad to start, a Cote de Boeuf on the Bone to be shared for two, sautéed spinach, pomme frites, and dessert. Menu will be paired with Bordeaux wine poured from Magnums.
No Corkage fee on Monday.
Theater Plans? Join us for our new late night menu served Fri-Sat. 10-11:00pm in The Bar Room.
A word from Aureole
Charlie Palmer's signature Progressive American cuisine first took root in the original townhouse location of Aureole, where the chef made an early commitment to farm over factory food. Today, Aureole continues to shine at One Bryant Park under the kitchen leadership of Executive Chef Marcus Gleadow-Ware. Dining at the contemporary Aureole is staged in two venues: the formal Dining Room and more casual Bar Room. In the Dining Room, terra-rich colors and golden lighting combine to create a comfortable environment and opulent warm glow, reminiscent of Aureole’s original townhouse intimacy. Evening guests may select from a 3-course prix fixe or tasting dinner menu. For lunch, a seasonal 3-course prix fixe menu is available as well as a la carte selections. Reservations can be made here for the Dining Room only. To reserve in our more casual bar room, please visit Aureole - Liberty Room.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Aureole reviews from OpenTable diners
185 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (115)fit for foodies (104)romantic (70)notable wine list (58)great for lunch (33)neighborhood gem (21)good for groups (19)vibrant bar scene (18)hot spot (16)great for brunch (10)late-night find (7)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- Great Service - Perfect for PreShowOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/20/2014My husband and I booked a last minute 5pm reservation (It's all they had available) here before an 8pm show, and at first were worried we were going to have too much time before the show because so many places like this rush you out so they can turn over the tables. But the staff was wonderful and we did not feel rushed whatsoever and were sitting until almost 7pm. The Aureole (pronounced like "Oriole") was a great sweet drink and the Liberty was a great stiff drink. The scallops app was scrape-your-plate good, and the seabass which was very light and tasty. My husband also had the scallops app and then the lobster. (Of the two entrees the lobster was better). Dessert was delicious too- we'll definitely be going back soon!Special Features:
- UnderwhelmedOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/19/2014We went to this restaurant before seeing a broadway show. The staff was very attentive and mindful of time so we wouldn't be late for the show, but our waitress lacked personality. Food was just okay, not at all up to my expectations. We left feeling hungry and shocked by the overpriced bill for a mediocre dinner.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/19/2014I went there to celebrate my birthday. it couldn't have been any better. The wait staff is extraordinary! The tasting menu was devine!!Special Features:
- Excellent - as alwayssanjivVIPDined on 9/19/2014This place never fails to delight with outstanding service and very good food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre theatre pris fixeOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/18/2014Terrific, if pricey, pre theatre dinner. Great service!Special Features:
- Outstanding placeOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/17/2014Dinning at Aureole is an exquisite experience. Food is delicious and the presentation is a work of art. I couldn't omit excellent service; very tactful.Special Features:
- VERY GOOD BUT LOST OLD ENCHANTMENTjscvirerDined on 9/16/2014Lunch was very good and great price/value, but compared to what Aureole was when at its first location in midtown, the service now is professional but very formal and the attention and personal courtesy that we experienced in the past is lost.Special Features:
- Overall great food.lovenlife8Dined on 9/12/2014This was my first time at Aureole and I chose this place to have a business meeting with my new staff. The atmosphere was great and the food was awesome. Despite not listing a vegetarian option- the kitchen was still able to prepare a delicious option for me, and for this I was most appreciative. The only downside to my experience, was that my server never checked on my table to see if we needed anything (after the food was dropped.) I almost felt like my table received more attention from the server-assistant than the server himself. I even had to ask the server's assistant for the dessert menu, as I could not catch the server's attention. Overall the food is great, but the service needs some improvement- I would still recommend Aureole.Special Features:
- not badtrinity76Dined on 9/12/2014Considering amount of money I had to spend for lunch prefix it was what I was expecting from one of high end restaurants in NYC. Food was good and service but nothing extraordinary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExtraordinaryOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 9/10/2014One of the best meals I've had in a long time. Food was wonderful and artfully presented. Service was impeccable, friendly and not fussy. Not inexpensive but well worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/6/2014One of the best, if not THE best dining experience ever! Fabulous food, artfully presented, and impeccable service. Greatly exceeded my expectations.Special Features:
- Great restaurant with awesome menufoodiefriendDined on 9/5/2014Their tasting menu is a gem worth experiencing, I've recommended this restaurant to several people and they all love it. Great for lunch or dinner, beautiful décor too.Special Features:
- Great for a DateArun123Dined on 8/30/2014I took my wife to Aureole for date night. The service was impeccable and the food was good. We ate the prefixe dinner which came in 3 courses. Id highly recommend the Black Truffle dessert. Excellent preparation and great taste.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As always, outstaging!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/30/2014We've been there the week end of Labor Day. As usual, we were not disappointed! Excellent food, excellent sercive, next to Time Square. Food is always well presented.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Palmer-level ExcellenceAnObjectivistDined on 8/30/2014I carefully planned the restaurant experiences while my wife & I were in NYC for a few days (she on business). We had two Broadway shows scheduled, and at Aureole before the 2nd one, with the theatre less than a block away. Absolutely top-notch. Just what one would expect from a chef with Charlie Palmer's reputation. Only one thing I'd ask be changed. Some restaurants allow some of the diners to take a tasting menu option, and for others at the same table to order a la carte. Aureole's policy is, if it's one person taking the tasting menu, then it's the whole table that does so. That is my only complaint.Special Features:
- Hard to find more elegant diningjoeyVIPDined on 8/29/2014Beautiful room, extraordinary service, redolent flavors, magnificentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre Theater GemAndreVIPDined on 8/29/2014The perfect pre theater restaurant in Times Square
- Sea Bass and Roasted Wagyu BeefCTJacketDined on 8/27/2014My wife and I had a wonderful meal at Ariole. We chose the prix fixe dinner meal. She had the gnocchi and I had the tuna for the first course. Both were good but the Sea Bass and the Roasted Wagyu Beef were excellent and the reason why you go to good places to dine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Flavor and beauty on a plateLovetochewDined on 8/27/2014The food was beautifully presented, but the flavor was even more impressive. The tuna tartar with summer melon was so flavorful that I was sad when I noticed I had taken my last bite. On to the seared salmon that was served medium on a bed of cream fraise with cous cous. The salmon was crispy on the top, but buttery moist through out. The desert was a masterpiece. Never have I experienced strawberry shortcake that tasted so divine. The service was attentive and cheerful. My hat goes off to the kitchen staff for such a well prepared meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingLukehulandsDined on 8/26/2014This was by far the most romantic and sensational dinning experience my partner and I have had in a restaurant thanks to the amazing staff, service and incredible food/beverages. I would recommend anyone in Australia I know travelling to NY to head here first.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent, yet underwhelmedOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/23/2014There is no question that Aureole produces exceptional food - the five course tasting menu was beautifully presented and had well conceived flavor profiles. The wine list provided a wide range of well considered selections and the atmosphere is elegant. However, it was the service that fell short of the measure of other restaurants of Aureole's caliber. Servers seemed to lack passion and this created a sterile and robotic interaction. Friendliness, enthusiasm, and attentiveness differentiates restaurants in this class. This was lacking from our experience at Aureole.Special Features:
- Best Pre-Theater Optionjpc1040VIPDined on 8/22/2014Visited Friday night before a play. Arrived at 6:00 and was asked when we needed to leave and we said 7:30. My wife I had the three course menu and finished on time while never feeling rushed. The food was delicious and the service attentive. Good recommendations from the wine steward. Plan to return on our next trip to NYC.Special Features:
- Just fantasticTrininanciDined on 8/18/2014Eating at Aureole is a gastronomic delight. The food is fantastic - well presented, delicious and imaginative. The little surprise extras are also a treat. We were celebrating a birthday and it was even more special. The staff is knowledgeable and always ready to share their knowledge.Special Features:
- Great Dinner before a showLenaDined on 8/12/2014Service was good and food was excellent. Highly recommended if you need to catch a show afterwards. They make sure the food comes out on time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- surpringly deliciousshellwomanDined on 8/12/2014We were in a rush for the theater so only had salad and appetizers but everything was deliciousSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Embarrasment...OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/11/2014I took two friends to Aureole during Restaurant Week as a "thank you" gift. I made a reservation on Open Table, and we got seated in the back. No questions asked. Then the server gave her speech about the menu. However, they didn't give us the Restaurant Week Menu. When I asked for it, the server said that we were not seated in the Restaurant Week section, and if we wanted that menu, we'd have to sit out in the bar area. The bar area is fine, but it was quite humiliating to then have to sit in the "fancy" dining room with everybody staring at us for 15 minutes while they ran around and tried to find a table in the bar. It ruined the evening. This place should have more class.
- OutstandingdivaduckDined on 8/11/2014No more needs to be said. Great service and food. Been going to this restaurant when it was on the upper west side. Great new location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- perfect for celebrationOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/8/2014We were in NYC for a birthday celebration. Aureole was a perfect addition to our trip. Great wine list. Having to choose between Insignia and Opus is not a bad choice to make. Food and service were perfect all around.Special Features:
- Best in NYCOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/7/2014Absolutely fabulous as always. What a treat. the best overall restaurant in NYC. What class, from wine service through desert.Special Features:
- Fantastic fine dining experiencepb2013Dined on 8/6/2014This is the first time we have been to Aureole since they moved into this location. At the former location Aureole was one of our favorite restaurants. It still is. The service is excellent from the initial greeting to the entire dining experience. The cuisine is innovative, extremely well presented, and delicious. The skate wing and the lobster were superb as was the gnocchi soup. The chocolate cake was one of the best I've had. Even the mixed house-made ice cream and sorbet was super - the best chocolate ice cream ever. Noise level was moderate. We could easily hear each other speaking at normal levels. The theater-district location is convenient. We needed to get uptown after dinner; they called us a car service. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Splendid eveningKenwuVIPDined on 8/4/2014Elegant dinning room with very pleasant and attentive staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ReasonablefatNbaldDined on 8/4/2014Went for biz lunch with a partner. Took the Prix Fix. Soup had no flavor, and the veal was okay. There are many other restaurants in mid-town that are as good as Aureole. Service was very professional - offered bread couple of times, filled water as soon as our glass was half full, etc. Bottom line - reasonable, but not more
- Excellent FindOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/31/2014Wife and I were looking for a place to eat and happened upon Aureole. It's like finding that needle in a haystack. We did the tasting menu, I did the regular, the chef was gracious enough to do a vegetarian for my wife. We also did the wine pairing as well, the sommelier was quite knowledgable and very appreciative of the feedback given. The wines were paired splendidly. Very fine dinning all around, and if there weren't so many other options to choose from in NYC we'd totally be back on our short journey here.Special Features:
- julieDined on 7/31/2014I had poached lobster which I thought had an aftertaste and probably was a little off. My dtr had chicken breast which she thought dry and the watercress sauce which would have moistened it was unpalatable to her taste. We waited for a while for the wait staff to notice we had been seated. Since we dined early, pretheater, they were not busy, just not interested. Overall, I'd never go back.
- I expected morebrooklynparentDined on 7/31/2014I was excited to go to For a business lunch since I had heard good things. It happened to be restaurant week so I got the price fixe lunch. Big mistake - the chilled pea soup was mealy and disgusting. And the veal entree was so tough that I couldn't even cut it.Special Features:
- A bright experienceWellfedVIPDined on 7/28/2014We accidentally reserved at the formal dining room, but the restaurant was very nice and accommodated our error, with little wait.The bar was packed with young people and tourists. Unfortunately, a MEGA bright screen was installed across the street, which created a very bright indoor dining experience. It was impossible not to be distracted and over stimulated but it was less enjoyable. The formal dining room is probably more shielded from the lights. The food was delicious, and the weight staff just attentive enough, and extremely nice. If you take a "doggy bag" as the main course was probably enough for 2-3 people, they give you a cute coat-check-like button, and you pick up the food in a nice bag on your way out. It's a cute little touchSpecial Features:
- DisappointedPat1mcDined on 7/26/2014Food was very good. Service was horrible. Maybe we were there on a bad night but I was really angry when I left.Special Features:
- Great Business LunchOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/21/2014Brought a client for a working lunch. Great decision! Service was impeccable and the food was fantastic!Special Features:
- Awesome ChefgandersonDined on 7/18/2014Beautiful meal and service. Several delicious meat, fish, and vegetarian options. Great wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Real food in the theater districtWanderingseniorVIPDined on 7/18/2014If the theater district is temporarily your New York City neighborhood I can offer your new favorite neighborhood gem-Aureole. It's wonderful to find a restaurant notable for great cuisine and service, just steps from your hotel! The menu offers a variety of items featuring the freshest of ingredients from oysters on the half shell to Hudson Valley fois gras and dishest which feature innovative preparation like meringue studded red velvet cake. Enjoy eating like a foodie, but expect to pay the price.Special Features: