1247 S. 13th Street
Philadelphia, PA 19147Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.augustbyo.com/
- Phone: 2154685926x
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday 5:30pm - 8:45
Wednesday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: Cash Only
- Cuisine: American, Italian
- Executive Chef: Maryann Brancaccio
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: BYO Liquor
- Cross Street: Wharton St.
- Public Transit: Take the Broad Street orange line to Federal st, walk one block south to Wharton St., then one block east to 13th.
broad street C bus to wharton st. walk one block east to 13th.
we are located on the corner of
13th & wharton sts.
- Parking: Street Parking
A word from august
The restaurant on the square ... Columbus Square ! An Intimate, Romantic, Cozy with Character BYO in South Philadelphia. Top Zagat rated for food and service. Chef Maryann Brancaccio puts her twist on classic Italian.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
august - Best Restaurants in South Philly ›
august reviews from OpenTable diners
47 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (41)fit for foodies (30)romantic (24)special occasion (18)hot spot (5)good for groups (4)scenic view (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- wonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 10/18/2014love that it's byob. great family owned/run neighborhood spot. the escarole and bean special was delicious- much lighter without the bread in the usual panna cotta. the fish special was delicious and the rigatoni with sweet and hot sausage was the best i've ever had, and we have wonderful italian restaurants back home in new haven. would definitely recommend. if you're looking for a quiet evening, it's a bit noisy as it is very small and with the kitchen open to the restaurant. we had a table in the corner so it was a bit quieter there.Special Features:
- Local GemOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/18/2014This place is totally under rated in an area of the city with great restaurants (like Laurel). Having just spent the previous week dining at Napa's finest (French Laundry), I couldn't bring myself to give it 5 stars. But for a local place, it really exceeded my expectations. We were a party of 4 and all of us enjoyed every course. The deserts definitely stand out, but the scallop appetizer was great as well. I had the ribeye special- which also was excellent. Great place for small groups, anything beyond 4 is going to be a tight fit.Special Features:
- cannubiDined on 10/15/2014solid not overly fancy menu: food prepared very well. Quiet, nicely laid out. Very comfortable dining experience.Special Features:
- Great Italian Foodfrugalshopper1Dined on 10/10/2014This is my favorite Italian restaurant in Philly. The food is as good as it gets and the menu and specials change each week. Coupled with attentive and caring service it is a real winner in every way.Special Features:
- Fantastic BYOB!CMonroeVIPDined on 9/27/2014My dinner date and I are still raving about our entrees: Sausage Bolognese Rigatoni and a Ribeye steak cooked perfectly. We also ordered the scallop appetizer and finished with a homemade bread pudding to die for... This restaurant has stood the test of time and consistently delivers on food, atmosphere, and professionalism from the servers. I would recommend this to anyone looking for a romantic night.Special Features:
- Neighborhood gemCdkatzVIPDined on 9/27/2014After eating here multiple times it's about time I leave feedback worthy of this restaurant. Good, quality food is what you get every time without fail. This place has a cozy, intimate atmosphere and friendly staff. The scallop appetizer was done just right with a creamy interior. The ribeye special was cooked correctly with the seasoning on point. Not to mention, all the desserts are homemade! (the apple tart addition to the menu put me in the mood for autumn). We will be coming back to this byob soon!Special Features:
- Fabulous from start to finishJuleDined on 9/26/2014The hostess and wait staff were incredibly friendly and professional. I highly recommend the artichoke appetizer--it was incredible. The special Halibut in pumpkin puree and the fettuchini with lobster fra diavolo were fabulous also.Special Features:
- lovely placeFineDinerDined on 9/19/2014Small byob (maybe 10-15 tables) on the corner of a classic South Philly block; a friendly, intimate atmosphere if you are looking to have a superb dinner with a few friends, a lover, or a client. While intimate, private and quiet, the music isn't blasting so you can actually hear each other without shouting. The service was top-notch, attentive, friendly, but not intrusive. I'm not sure it's a great place for kids only because I didn't see any there. The food was excellent and the prices reasonable given its quality: $90.00 for a party of three (not including liquor, of course).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not badOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/18/2014...but not great either. It looks very cute from the outside but the inside is not very impressive. It is definitely a cute piece of South Philly history with endearing qualities. However, overall the menu is overpriced for a neighborhood family restaurant. It gives the impression that it would be a "special occasion" kind of place and the food does not live up to that.Special Features:
- A Memorable AugustOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/17/2014Dined with an old friend and enjoyed every course. Great scallop and hearts of artichokes apps - the Caesar salad was not their equal but the veal was tender and delicious. My companion enjoyed his pasta entree equally. We closed with the banana bread pudding - amen!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My favorite restaurant in the city!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014As always, the food was delicious and the service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SweethappinessSweethappinessDined on 9/13/2014Went on a Sat night. Arrived 15 minutes before reservation time and was seated immediately. By end of meal restaurant filled to capacity. All staff was very prompt, courteous and very pleasant. Food was excellent and ready immediately. Therefore no time between each course to relax for a moment and prepare for the next course. Felt rushed and ate very fast. Turning the table over quickly seemed more important than dining experience. During the week, experience was totally opposite. Not filled to capacity, food was great, staff attentive and there was time between courses to relax a few moments. Will definitely return, but during the week. Don't forget they only take cash and it's a byob.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentSkip1426Dined on 8/23/2014Once again a fantastic meal as always! Would sends all my friends there!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A little gem in South PhillyPhillyPhoodieVIPDined on 8/23/2014Very cute and homey place. The friendliest staff. The food was incredible! I had the scallops app as my entree and it was superb. My dining partners had calamari app and arugula salad, both which were outstanding. The also had excellent pasta dishes. The desserts were fab. Panacotta was to die for. They said they would email me the recipe. Outstanding banana bread pudding. I highly recommend. I will def be back!Special Features:
- Never fails to deliver! Bravo!JoedrrtVIPDined on 8/16/2014We've now been to August at least six times and we've never had less than a 5-star experience here. Maria and Maryanne maintain the highest standards in food, ambiance, and service. They have a small menu, are BYOB, Cash-Only, but you can order anything here and be surprised at the ways in which their kitchen prepares your meal. And, you'll probably love it! Thank you Claire, Kelly, and Taylor for the great service. (excuse any mis-spellings!) Looking forward to our next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Secret treasureRxfoodieDined on 8/2/2014Do I enjoy the dinner or deserts or the attentive service best? Can't decide. All excellent. This restaurant makes u feel like u happen to have a good friend that just happened to be an amazing chef. Friendly. Great creative food. Luv this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrif!steveDined on 8/2/2014My wife and I tried the place for the first time-- and thoroughly enjoyed it. My veggie meatballs appetizer was outstanding, and my wife's peppers and cheese was equally delicious. I had the penne pasta with tuna-- an excellent choice. The flourless chocolate cake we shared was light and the perfect cap to the dinner. Wonderful server (a PAFA senior) who was completely solicitous-- and never intrusive. In all, a wonderful dining experience. We'll be back...Special Features:
- Highly RecommendMayTDined on 7/25/2014Good service, nice atmosphere, delicious dinner. I recommend the following: fried shrimp, sea bass, pork chop. I can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect mealOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/18/2014Tried August and it's truly a gem. Everything was perfectly cooked and delicious. Two of had the barramundi and loved it. The other two had the steak, two different temperatures, and each one was exactly as ordered. We all loved it but don't forget to leave room for the amazing desserts. We are still talking about the coconut cream pie!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- You won't be disappointedGipeDined on 7/16/2014August has charm, along with amazing food and an attentive staff! What more could you ask for?!Special Features:
- August is "hot".lobosDined on 6/28/2014It was a first time visit and the food was wonderful....we did not leave a drop. I had the scallop appetizer which was done to perfection. We met the owner/chef Mary Ann and watched her cooking in the small open kitchen. Our waitress was a delight too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 81 reviews are from the august reviews archive.
- Lost its edgeMediaDined on 6/14/2014It has been a while since we were at August since there are so many great Italian restaurants in Philadelphia, but we have taken August off our great Philadelphia Italian list. The food was OK but not great. On a Saturday night at 7:30, there were only four tables of two occupied and when we left, that was down to six people. Others must be feeling the same way. They also need to state clearly on their website that they are a cash only place; fortunately I had sufficient cash with me. Parking is also a problem in their neighborhood.
- GoodDJK1VIPDined on 5/15/2014No complaints, but I've had better meals - even here. The pastas were a bit bland and a little too al dente.
- SallyVIPDined on 5/2/2014August serves good solid Italian food, much like you might have growing up in an Italian family. The dishes are straight forward like roasted peppers or beet salad for appetizers. And pasta Bolognese, veal fillets and fish for mains. Excellent Farangalis bread as well. The food is not going to blow you away but you will also come out satisfied and not disappointed. Great if you attending Theater Exile down the street.Special Features:
- Pre Theater in South PhillyStella52VIPDined on 4/30/2014I cannot believe it took me as long as it did to first go to August, but this was my 5th visit, and it (like the nearby Theatre Exile) never disappoints! New favorite dessert: sambuca whipped cream in espresso...Special Features:
- NO CREDIT CARDS ACCEPTEDlsbtravelVIPDined on 4/30/2014We enjoyed a very lovely meal here before attending a show at Theatre Exile which is only one block away. However they do not accept credit cards which is inconvenient and they do not mention it anywhere until you open the menu and in the tiniest type at the bottom it says "No Credit Cards" Really, who doesn't accept cards these days?--- I had plenty of cash so that wasn't a problem but I like to charge all my purchases and get Free Airplane first class seats!!!!! So I'll be going somewhere else---there are MANY very nice restaurants within a block or two---where I can earn points!Special Features:
- CharlieVIPDined on 4/26/2014We dined here when first opened 11 years ago..had a nice meal then and a nice one again this weekend. Don't know why we waited so long. Nice vibe here with well prepared dishes that thankfully are not trying to prove anything. Service was warm and responsive and the women owners are very hands on. Only complaint it that the noise level when crowded (and it probably is often crowded due to its small size) is intruding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- South Philly GemSJDiner1VIPDined on 4/25/2014This was our first trip to August, and we were not disappointed. The food was great, and the prices very reasonable. Very small and pretty noisy but we would not hesitate to go back. BYOB, which is always good. You may have to drive around a bit to find a parking spot. South Philly is what it is!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service and food were greatShellyVIPDined on 4/19/2014we forgot about this restaurant. Have not been here in a while. Food is still outstanding as is the service we will be back again. Parking is a problem take a cab if you can if not you will find if you drive around enough, it's still worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good good; felt a tadddinerVIPDined on 4/12/2014Very good good; felt a tad rushed but service was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden gemdzl101VIPDined on 4/4/2014Always good, off the beaten path. You can count on an excellent meal and friendly experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GREAT FOOD BUT . . .LouiseNVIPDined on 3/29/2014The food is consistently great. On a recent Saturday night the noise level was so high, it was difficult to have a conversation with my dining partner. The small size of the restaurant did not help. Aside from the noise level, this was a very enjoyable dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious FishNaomiDined on 3/26/2014My husband and I went here the other night. I had been to August years ago and remembered loving the food. Well the food is still fantastic. The atmosphere is cozy and the service was fast and friendly. We're definitely going back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- everything you want in a BYOBtrina271Dined on 3/22/2014Dinner for 4 on Saturday night, great food and service, though crowded, we were very content.Special Features:
- Good Food, Classic PhillyOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/22/2014The food was excellent. I went with my girlfriend of 8 years, and at 24 years old we have frequented our fair share of restaurants for dates. I chose August as a surprise location. I was fully aware of the reviews it had received before we sat down at August. The reviews were that the food was good, but small portions; that it was loud and that the service was too fast. First, the food was excellent. Yes the portions were smaller, but I played football in college and weigh 225 pounds and I was satisfied after my meal. Was it loud? Not really, but we did have 6:15 reservations. The only thing is that because it was a small venue, you did feel rushed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Have to come back more often!JellyotterVIPDined on 3/22/2014Every time we visit August, I ask myself why we've stayed away so long. Returned last night with another couple. What a great dinner! The atmosphere is welcoming and one feels at home. My artichoke app was yummy. I had the same at a Montco restaurant recently. While I barely touched the former, last night I wiped my plate (and the app was entree size). Spinach, sun-dried tomatoes, fava beans... Others had roasted beets with pistachios and a terrific dressing. Entrees were just as good. Farfalle with lots is crab meat for two of us, penne pasta with shrimp and favs beans in a spicy pink sauce for my husband, and veal Diane in brandy sauce for the other guy in our party. Finished with well-made cappuccinos and a shared cheesecake.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the best BYOB's in townCeeCeeVIPDined on 3/21/2014Food is consistently delicious and I have been going there for years. The owners are warm and friendly and always make you feel welcomed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A GemsmadvaVIPDined on 3/21/2014I'd been meaning to try august for a while. I was very pleasantly surprised. Food was superb, ambiance lovely--very warm feel--and the prices were quite reasonable. Add BYOB, and what's not to like. We had tilapia, bronzino, a pasta dish and the veal medallions, and all were much better than expectations, great flavors and well-prepared. We will defintely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and servicePhillyfoodie87VIPDined on 2/14/2014Tried this place for valentines day and thought it was great. Had the typical small but nice neighborhood BYO feel. Service was great and food was even better. I recommend the artichokes and scallops and the black pepper steak was awesome. Good spot for a date night/smaller group- not very big.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EXcellent dining experiencebillijohnDined on 2/14/2014This was our 2nd outing to August and it was just as good as the first. Food, service and atmosphere all get our highest rating. This has definitely turned into one of our favorite spotsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.