Au Midi Restaurant & Bistrot
7960 Soquel Dr Ste E
Aptos, CA 95003Neighborhood:
Contemporary FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
Au Midi Restaurant & Bistrot
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://aumidi.com/about.php
- Phone: 8316852600
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Wed-Sa 11:30am-2:00pm
Dinner: W-Su 5:30pm-9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fusion / Eclectic, Gastro Pub, Contemporary French
- Executive Chef: Muriel Loubiere
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Gluten-free Menu, High Tea, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Au Midi offers a seasonal menu of traditional and contemporary french cooking featuring fresh and locally sourced meats and produce.
- Cross Street: State Park Drive
- Public Transit: The Santa Cruz/Watsonville MTA bus #71 and #91 Express drops patrons off within easy walking distance of Au Midi.
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: Conveniently located near the heart of Aptos, CA, Au Midi offers front-door parking in a well-lit and accessible private lot.
A word from Au Midi Restaurant & Bistrot
For Muriel, cooking is more than a career; it is an ever-growing passion. Starting with a deep appreciation for the raw product and with unflinching attention to every detail, everything is done to create and present deceptively simple dishes. Open to every flavor, curious about new ideas, Muriel is constantly trying to refine her art. It is done with passion, deep knowledge and a humble attitude. Of course the flavors of Provence are often present in the dishes she prepares, but it is no surprise that many of these are also found in our area. Olive oil, garlic and artichoke, plus much of the produce are grown on this lovely Central coast. Muriel"s other tempting culinary creations are simply the result of her affinity for good food, no matter whence comes! With the husband greeting the customers and the wife feeding them, "Au Midi" is definitely a family restaurant. It is also a cosmopolitan place with a warm ambiance and a sunny soul!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Au Midi Restaurant & Bistrot - Best Restaurants in Aptos ›
Au Midi Restaurant & Bistrot reviews from OpenTable diners
47 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (34)special occasion (33)fit for foodies (32)romantic (23)notable wine list (10)good for groups (4)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Great food but long waitOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/18/2014Celebrating a special occasion we immediately thought of Au Midi. We were served our bread, water and wine and then waited one hour for our entree. We saw many others receive their meals who had arrived after we did. The gracious owner refilled our wine glasses on the house. The food was perfect and the panna cotta dessert was superb. Next time we'll deserve an earlier dinner time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- California meets ProvenceOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 10/16/2014Great food, quiet, pleasant service by owner. A real French bistro tucked away in Aptos. Perfect for a romantic evening or, if meeting friends, to have real conversation over a leisurely dinner. The entrees are classic Provencale with a California flair, and the desserts are particularly yummy. Prices make this a bit of a special occasion for Aptos, but the emphasis here is on quality, not hype.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent foodDougDined on 10/9/2014Great use of local in season produce and meats. Will go back for sure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden TreasureOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/8/2014Au Midi is an excellent restaurant hidden in Aptos, CA in a nondescript local strip mall. The food presentation was as classy as any French restaurant. The sauce of the pork dish was sweet and delicate and complemented the meat perfectly. All four of us were swooning over our delicious dishes. The wine list provided choices that were very nice companions for any dish on the menu. The atmosphere is neighborly. I felt that the price is very reasonable considering the high quality of the food. I suspect that this is a place that locals would like to keep secret but successful. I heard the French owner greeting familiar customers on at least two occasions.Special Features:
- Another Great Meal!GregDined on 10/7/2014Another great meal at Au Midi. The folks at Michelin should really consider this restaurant. Sweetbreads, Halibut, Beef Stew, Tomato Napoleon, Panna Cotta desert. All amazing. Thanks!Special Features:
- Au Midi ReviewdinerDined on 10/4/2014Au Midi has become our "go to" restaurant when we are in Aptos. We have brought many friends there through the years. We had visitors in town this time and, unfortunately, we had difficulty with uber/cabs. We were an hour late for our reservation and the restaurant was ready to close. Our waitress made sure we knew that we were late and that we better hurry since the kitchen was closing. Our bad, but she was unbelievably rude.Special Features:
- Savored every biteExplosionInEveryBiteDined on 9/26/2014A limited daily menu, however, I still had a hard time choosing as I wanted to try everything! My wife and I ended up splitting everything; soup (mushroom), salad, (Napoleon), main meal (duck & pork). Although we were very full we did not want to miss the homemade sweets! We once again split the chocolate mousse and the floating island once again savoring every bite!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Duck and HalibutChefrjVIPDined on 9/12/2014Both the duck and the halibut were wonderful. Enjoyed one the the best local Pinot Noir's I've had in a long time.Special Features:
- Just SuperbfockerDined on 9/11/2014While visiting Seacliff State Beach we decided to make one of our nights a date night and found this gem of a restaurant. Everything was excellent from start to finish and I am looking forward to returning.Special Features:
- Gem of a restaurantFoodieDined on 9/2/2014The best restaurant in Santa Cruz County! Outstanding food. Innovative combinations of ingredients that surprise and delight!Special Features:
- Worth findingLuluDined on 8/30/2014Au Midi never disappoints. The attention to detail and ingredients are wonderful every time I've gone there. Tucked away in an unassuming location, it's definitely worth seeking out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Food in Santa Cruz CountyTomaRoseSCDined on 8/29/2014This was the very best food in Santa Cruz county. The flavors were incredible. The presentation was elegant. A good and affordable wine list. My soup was a delight even though I usually do not like cauliflower the soap was the best I have ever tasted. And I travel a lot. Main course was the "Duck Magret" and it was filling and tasted even better than it looked and it was picture worthy. Santa Cruz has been in need of a great restaurant and now I have finally found one.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!JFunkDined on 8/13/2014Went in on a quiet weekday night. Food and wine were amazing, every coarse was so delicious. Service was a bit slow, but there was only one server (owner maybe) taking care of all tables.Special Features:
- AwesomeDinner42pleaseDined on 8/12/2014Fantastic presentation wonderful sauces and very traditional French cuisine. With a nicer portion then you would expect, all around enjoyable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too Good To Pass BySeacliffDined on 8/7/2014We have been to Au Midi 3 0r 4 times and it is always a treat. The food is terrific and the service is very attentive. We will go there more often!Special Features:
- A real treatKibblyDined on 7/25/2014We've been here many times. It really is the best in our neighborhood. Whenever we have friends over and want to take them somewhere special this is where we choose. The food is absolutely delicious and almost artwork on a plate. Highly recommended. We appreciate it and will be back.Special Features:
- Provence is here! Alive and well.provencalDined on 7/22/2014We are regulars to this provencal restaurant. Now that they are have summer specials, we had to try the bouillabaise.Tres magnifique! Starting the dinner with appetizers, cream of onion soup ( my husband's favorite), and I had the Napoleon ( not on the menu) which was beautiful to look at and so delicious. It had tapenade , buffalo mozzarella,crostini. I have not had this type of tapenade since I was in Aix-en-Provence. Michel and Muriel, the chef extradinaire are always warm and welcoming.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic date night with my wife.RaBaDined on 7/17/2014Our third visit to Au Midi was as pleasant as the first two visits. As before, we were greeted quickly and warmly and promptly seated by owner Michel. Our server was friendly, helpful, and knowledgeable. The pace of service was relaxed and we never felt rushed. The older I get the more I appreciate a quiet atmosphere. Barbara and I could easily talk without raising our voices. The food - start to finish - was excellent and the portions were just right for a satisfied feeling and a clean plate. The wine list isn't extensive but includes a very nice selection including some French wines. Don't let the strip mall location dissuade you from trying Au Midi. You will be very pleased once inside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent dinner with friends.Likes2notcookDined on 7/16/2014The salads and soups are not only visually stunning, but the taste was wonderful. My husband and I had the fresh wild salmon. Excellent. Our friends had the steak which was cooked perfect. It had a reduced mushroom sauce that was outstanding. We will be back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good French food fair pricesByoung3rdDined on 7/15/2014The menu is short, but diverse. The selection is traditional bistro fare, with a little bit from all four corners of France. I started with the Veal Sweetbread, marinated with cherry vinegar and soy sauce and served with an incredible herb sauce (I used all of my bread to soak up the sauce) ...perfection! My wife started with the Braised Halibut, cooked in a lemongrass and ginger emulsion, served with potato cloud, mushrooms and ravioli. My entre was the Duck Magret seared in a honey rosemary sauce...sliced on the bias in the traditional style, served medium rare. The highlight of the evening came with the owner and the chef stopping by our table to ask about our experience...very personal and very French.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bastille Day FeastOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/14/2014For the second time, my wife and I attended the Bastille Day celebration at Au Midi Bistrot, and once again we were enthralled by the summery flavors of southern France. We heartily recommend chef Muriel Loubiere's special holiday menus.Special Features:
- Lovely evening experienceGES1Dined on 7/14/2014The food was exquisitely prepared and presented. A novel experience.Special Features:
- WonderfulYummyDined on 7/14/2014This restaurant offers a delightful experience. A lot of time, care, and attention is put into the food. Au Midi, we need you!Special Features:
- Wow!FoodieDined on 7/3/2014Fine French cuisine in a little gem of a restaurant.Special Features:
- Mixed ResultsdineoutDined on 7/1/2014The waiter/host greeted us. He was charming, well versed on the menu but inattentive to our party of 6. On two occasions, I had to leave the table and find him; once to remind him about the glass of wine I ordered and the second time to bring the check. This was on a weeknight when there were only 2-3 tables filled with other diners. We all enjoyed a variety of entrees; beautifully presented and tasty. Several of our group skipped the delicious sounding salad courses as they seemed overpriced @ $14.00. We shared bites of the apple tart which tasted very fresh. The wine list had interesting selections both from local wineries and the Anderson Valley. All of our group had dined here previously, would return, but not for awhile.
- portionsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/28/2014Duck was exceptional!...so was the sweetbreads...some of the portions are a bit slite..the new chicken entre... I do realize that French cuisine usually errors on the side of small portions, however, I had a hungry young man with me and he had apps, dinner and desert, and could have eaten more....that being said, we will always come back!Special Features:
- The following 116 reviews are from the Au Midi Restaurant & Bistrot reviews archive.
- Just ExcellentJohnDVIPDined on 6/14/2014They always come through with fine French cooking and great service. I always wish it was in a better location, but then it might get too busy and noisy. We love this place -- easily our favorite in Santa Cruz.Special Features:
- A special place in AptosBritgirlDined on 5/31/2014Au Midi is such a gem for the small town of Aptos to have. We go there when we want to treat ourselves to fantastic food. The duck magret is excellent, the cassoulet is something special and my husband loves the sweetbreads. Muriel comes up with amazing combinations that always taste amazing and her desserts are to die for. We are moving away and will very much miss Michel and Muriel and their wonderful restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent foodWellwisher2Dined on 5/28/2014The food is consistently excellent and the service honest and personal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Home town gemC130FEJKPDined on 5/23/2014Every time I go here it amazes me with how it gets better. They are constantly refreshing things to keep it new and exciting while keeping old favorites as well. The food is always exquisite and the owners are some of the kindest people you will ever meet. They make you feel like family. I'm in the military and often gone for long stretches of time, and this is the place that I come to to feel like I'm back home. No better restaurant I found anywhere in the world. Truly a one of a kind.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice ambience and great food acrossMariaDined on 5/22/2014Great food across the board. The filet mignon was cooked perfectlySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- French cuisine at its finestFoodieDined on 5/22/2014Au Midi is a jewel of a French Bistro tucked into a little shopping center. Innovative dishes, expertly prepared and oh how delicious!Special Features:
- FriendlyGourmetKidVIPDined on 5/20/2014This is a nice French restaurant. The owners pour their hearts into your enjoyment by providing good food and good service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Piece of ProvenceWSSC1Dined on 4/18/2014Au Midi is magnifique! We felt like we had been transported to southern France. Everything about the place is authentic. Each course was a delight, bite after surprisingly tasty bite. Even the most ordinary looking/sounding items turn out to be a culinary gem worthy of the best bistros of Nice or Toulouse. Chef Muriel watching people's faces from behind the kitchen curtain as they take their first bites, and later coming out to mingle with clients; husband/co-owner/waiter Michel shaking hands with every client as they arrive and leave, both him and the waitress from New York with a penchant for sarcastic humor, all add up to a wonderful dining experience. There is no other French place like it in the whole Santa Cruz area!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- hidden jewel in Aptos!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/10/2014the food was exquisite! Service was fair. But if you can forgo the service, you have to try the food! Absolutely wonderful! Flavors were right on!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Was expecting moreAptosDinerDined on 4/8/2014I ordered the scallops and risotto. It came with an unidentifiable foam on top that made the dish look unappetizing. Some of the rice grains were undercooked and a bit hard, but the scallops were cooked nicely. The overall flavor was good, but that foam kept me from enjoying the dish. I asked for hot tea and the water was not hot enough for the tea bag to steep in the cup, so I drank a warm very very light tea. We had to stop at Starbucks on the way home so I could get that strange foam taste out of my mouth.
- Dining in an Igloo!GlobeTrotterDined on 4/4/2014Dress warmly and then some.....It was too cold in the restaurant. They refused to turn on the heating inspite of our request with some feeble excuse that the heating is always turned on prior to opening for dinner but off during? All 4 of us in party were extremely cold. I am not going back here till summer. My appetizer and main course was so so but the rest of the table really loved their orders.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved every bite. The presentationDebbieDined on 4/2/2014Loved every bite. The presentation was superb. Will eat there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Great Findjjy55Dined on 3/27/2014Was not crazy about French food but decided to try this restaurant. It turned out to be an excellent discovery. We thought we would be the first ones there when they opened at 5:30 but a table for 4 was already seated. Service was excellent with 3 servers for the entire restaurant. The food was delivered in a timely manner. My husband had the soup and cassoulet and I had the green salad with the scallops. When I got the scallops, there were only 3 large ones and I thought it wouldn't be enough but the richness and flavor made it the perfect size. We both had the apple pie for dessert and it was a perfect ending to a perfect meal. We will definitely be eating here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticThadDined on 3/22/2014We love this place. Great food, and the service is outstanding. We've been three times now in the last few months, and will continue to go back. The Cassoulet is my favorite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.