Au Cinquième Péché
Montreal, QC H2J2K8Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: CAN$31 to CAN$50
Au Cinquième Péché
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.aucinquiemepeche.com/
- Phone: 5142860123
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:30 PM - 11:30 PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Benoit Lenglet
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Private Room, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Private room can serve groups of up to 40 people. Special menus are available.
- Private Party Contact: Benjamin Lenglet 5142860123
A word from Au Cinquième Péché
Winner of the best dish of the year 2011 (La Gazette) and best French restaurant in 2011 (Mirror), Le Cinquième Péché is a long time foodies favorite. Our Chef Benoit Lenglet serves unique dishes that are comforting and masterly executed.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerFrench
Au Cinquième Péché - Best Restaurants in Plateau Mont-Royal ›
Au Cinquième Péché reviews from OpenTable diners
60 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (45)special occasion (33)romantic (29)neighborhood gem (25)notable wine list (21)great for outdoor dining (12)good for groups (10)hot spot (9)late-night find (4)kid-friendly (2)great for lunch (1)vibrant bar scene (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Fabulous!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/21/2014Great food and wonderful service, made it a night to remember. Our waiter assisted us in sequencing a series of dishes to share and paired wine (which you can order by the half glass) to go with each of the 6 courses that we ate. It was wonderful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing experienceOttawaDinDinerDined on 8/20/2014Incredible experience. Menu was brilliant, vibrant and relevant! Service was impeccable! Wines were refreshingly private and organic. Love, love, love.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent French cuisineRamsisnutellaVIPDined on 8/16/2014Benjamin knows how to run his place and is involved with everyone. He takes the time to explain the portions and details of the dishes, and he is an excellent sommelier! Follow his recommendations for the wine and food and you won't go wrong!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent serviceEmmaDined on 8/14/2014Excellent service, les serveurs sont très sympathiques et efficaces. Bonne bouffe, les merguez de phoques sont excellentes, bon choix de vins a bon prix.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Inventive and classic FrenchAdrianDined on 8/9/2014This neighborhood restaurant has an inventive chef who is clearly very accomplished in classic French technique. We had a terrine of duck confit and foie gras, seal saucisson, a melon soup with lobster salad, and a "poutine" that was assembled using sweet potato-zucchini gnocchi and seal merguez. The wine list is not huge, but has plenty of unexpected, nice bottles. Notable is also that the wines by the glass are excellent and not trite. For instance, rather than having bland Bordeaux/Chablis, they had Cotes de Marmandais/Duras for very reasonable per-glass prices. The service was prompt, friendly and expert. Although charging bistro prices, they had nice high-end touches, like letting you taste the wine by the glass before the pour.Special Features:
- lovely, friendly, perfectlytpDined on 8/5/2014Came here on our last night in Montreal, visiting from San Francisco. We loved our incredibly attentive and friendly server, loved our food, loved the atmosphere and the location was very convenient. The french farmhouse/brick basement aesthetic lent itself to cozy special dining, and their house beer is excellent. Would come back anytime-- wish I were local and could easily do so!Special Features:
- ExcellentsixpawsDined on 7/29/2014Had the tasting menu and absolutely loved it. Excellent service as well. Looking forward to going back.Special Features:
- Amazing ExperienceSlowFineDiningDined on 7/29/2014One of the most enjoyable meals ever. The service was phenomenal as the server gave very special attention to every patron and appeared to genuinely enjoy his work. He (and the chef) allowed/provided us a wonderful 4 hour dining experience--just the way I like it! The atmosphere was very relaxed and calming--nice background music. The selection of wines by the glass were as delicious as they were unique. The food was out of this world. Finally, for the amazing quality of the food and experience, the price was a bargain. I recommend sharing a series of the small plates with another for a 5 or 6 course meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Service and delicious food!foodiegoodieDined on 7/26/2014I had a great time at Au Cinquieme Peche! My husband and I ordered the tasting menu with wine paring. Every course was delicious and the wine was spatacular! The only thing was the food was served a bit slow. We started dinner at 6:30 and we managed to finish the tasting menu a bit after 10pm. Other than that, I highly recommend this resturant!Special Features:
- Traditional Creative FrenchbavaroDined on 7/9/2014We had veal tongue and duck confit. The tongue fell apart und was delicious, the same for the duck. Creative vegetables as a side made this a rather light diner. and A lot of wines unknown to me on the wine list. After a glas of rosé I stayed with tap water.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always exceptional foodAmenophisDined on 7/8/2014The pure foodie place. The menu changes on a daily basis, with new creations all the time. The guys will take the time to explain all the details behind each plate before you make a "tough" choice, for both the starters and the entrees. Proposing a glass of wine for each of those plates if you want to make perfect matches. And they even propose you half glasses if you just want a few sips for each ! Really relax ambiance. Loved it.Special Features:
- Very, very goodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/4/2014It's my new favorite restaurant. Excellent food, excellent service , excellent wine etc.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exquis!CarolineDined on 7/3/2014Moi et ma copine allons pour nos anniversaires à ce resto depuis plusieurs années...toujours une expérience des plus exquises..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still outstandingkeithmVIPDined on 7/3/2014We visited July 3. The place was still as great as before. You order off a "black board" as the menu changes frequently. we started with the White Gaspacho, which was so refreshing on a warm night.Richard had the Veal Tongue. Very nice, but I'm not a real veal fan. From there I had the Artic Char, which was done just right. Richard had the "Rolled Guinea Fowel". They debone it & roll the meat together so you get a nice mix of flavors. Really nice. For dessrt we did the Panna Cotta & Pistachio biscuit. Very nice ending.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MIAM!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/28/2014Awesome food, awesome service! We had a great time celebrating a good friend's birthday! Seafood was divine (fish, squid, etc.)Special Features:
- Excellent restaurant. Great dinnerGillesDined on 6/26/2014The best ''Ris de veau '' in Montreal. Excellent serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simplement les meilleursAudreyDined on 6/13/2014J'y vais dès que j'ai l'occasion. Le service et la cuisine sont exceptionnels. Un petit trésor à découvrir sans attendre.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- casual bistro with decent foodtravellerDined on 6/7/2014Warm, very casual environment with some male diners in shorts. The food was technically accomplished but overcomplicated with unnecessary ingredients e.g. the lobster gazpacho would have been better without its multiple chunks of asparagus but could have used more lobster. Inexpensive but uninspiring wine list. We'd go back but only if we lived in the neighborhood.Special Features:
- Incredible restaurant!!!LindaDined on 6/5/2014The food is amazing, the service is perfect and the decor is beautiful!!!Special Features:
- Truely amazingSophDined on 6/3/2014We had the tasting menue and it was amazing! Tastey and interesting food! Really awesome :) The service was amazing. Friendly and informative.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and creative menuTomroadfoodDined on 6/3/2014My biggest complaint would probably be that the servings were bigger than I expected, and I was too full to try the dessert. Perhaps my wife and I should have shared an appetizer, but the offerings were too temptingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Puree here I come!InspiredDined on 5/31/2014How fortunate we were to have our first meal in Montreal at Au Cinquieme Peche. From the octopus appetizer to the sweetbreads and arctic char for the entree, the food was absolutely spectacular. First night I returned to NYC, I made a salmon dish with a butternut squash puree in honor of our meal at Au cinquieme! Thank you for the inspiration!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- montreal fair restaurantisa1390VIPDined on 5/29/2014nous sommes allés a ce restaurant afin de fêter le retour d'un ami ils nous ont accueillis tres bien et c'était excellentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 5/24/2014Excellent menu, updated often. Waitstaff very helpful and knowledgeable.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic meal!JenskiDined on 5/23/2014This was my boyfriend's and my first night out in Montreal and we picked Au Cinquieme Peche based on positive Yelp and Trip Advisor reviews. We left dinner very pleased with our choice! The food - we got appetizers, entrees and dessert - was delicious and flavorful. One of the more unique dishes - Poutine with sweet potatoes, seal (phoque) sausage and cheese curds was my favorite. The service was great. We had a very friendly and helpful waiter who patiently translated the French menu into English for us. Locationwise its on St. Denis, with nearby bars/jazz clubs to check out after dinner.Special Features:
- Favourite meal in MontrealKKSBADined on 5/17/2014This was our favourite dining experience in Montreal. Located on St. Denis in the Plateau area & a short cab ride from Vieux Port. Perfect French meal;casual ambience & clearly a local favourite. Make reservations.Special Features:
- Would go back!chowtimemtlDined on 5/10/2014My husband, son and myself were there on Sat. May 10th, having first reviewed a good amount of favorable comments. The bistro is small, with a charming feel, where from the moment you are met at the door, throughout the entire evening, you are attended to with courtesy and a heartfelt desire that you enjoy your experience. The food offers some unique choices, including a smoked seal appetizer, which was enjoyable. The beef and guinea fowl entrees we ordered were faultless. The only complaint I would have is that there seemed to be a party upstairs with rambunctious small children stomping on the floor, which diminished the experience. Nonetheless, I would go back the next time I visit Montreal.Special Features:
- Best meal we've had in a long timemmacDined on 5/10/2014Both our meals (primecut beef and arctic char) were oustanding and the wines by the glass complimented the meals perfectly. The meats were seasoned and cooked perfectly. Our entree was the smoked seal, which we could only describe as "the best pastrami you'll ever have". Best use of seal? Maybe not, but it was still delicious and fun. The service was great and we felt welcomed to explore their creative and inspired menu. We've found our favourite restaurant in Montreal and can't wait to return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciouschaspDined on 5/6/2014We find everything ordered to be absolutely delicious. Perhaps it our uneducated American taste buds, but I doubt it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 143 reviews are from the Au Cinquième Péché reviews archive.
- A must!KVanAmDined on 4/24/2014This is my fourth time at Au Cinquième Péché, and I am never disappointed. Food was delicious - fresh, innovative, and wonderfully prepared. The service is always wonderful as well. Tip: ask your waiter to pair wine with your food - they always make excellent recommendations.Special Features:
- La nourriture est exquise!puce35Dined on 4/11/2014La nourriture est exquise! L'accueil est chaleureux et le service est impeccable. J'adore ce restaurant, car je ne suis jamais déçue.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chaleureux restoZoelou42Dined on 4/9/2014Accueil chaleureux, personnel attentioné, nourriture fine et savoureuse, menu varié et abordable. À adopter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food - excellent service.DKNYDined on 4/4/2014Great food - excellent service. The host took his time to explain the menu in detail....just an overall wonderful experience. Would definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sinfully DeliciousLeeSDined on 4/1/2014This was the highlight of our trip to Montreal. It was the most expensive and best meal I have ever had in my life, so I think that makes it ok. The staff was very friendly and the food was fantastic. I was hoping to try Seal but it was a late season this year so I couldn't, oh well.Special Features:
- Yuummmmm!!!!May1974Dined on 3/20/2014We paired food and wine...was amazing!! nice spot, beautiful dishes, best tongue ever!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent resto, Ris de veauOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/18/2014Excellent resto, Ris de veau les meilleurs en ville!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- un vrai plaisirsmartfoxDined on 2/28/2014nourriture intéressante, accueil particulièrement amical, pairage des vins inventif, pour un prix raisonnable très recommandableSpecial Features:
- A gastronomic experienceEdgarDined on 2/22/2014Unique gastronomical experience. An excellent opportunity to taste french/terroir cuisine made with fine and uncommon ingredients. Very knowledgeable sommelier, would suggest the perfect wine to marry your supper. One of the few places where seal is served, either fresh or in charcuterie. Being not my first time Au Cinquième Péché, I was very pleased how the chef never ceases to surprise his customers. Like last year I had sweetbreads, and it was prepared in a new way with different ingredients. Carrots and hazelnut flavors at different levels go so well with sweetbreads. As always, the service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent and decontracteeTheElmDined on 2/21/2014Friendly and knowledgeable service. Excellent food. Perfect evening.Special Features:
- Awesome find!TitevieDined on 2/21/2014This bistro-like restaurant has a very attractive menu, from comfort-food to more adventurous food. I had the Pumpkin and coconut milk soup and smoked duck ham, followed by Prime cut of beef, braised oxtail, potato purée and Brussels sprouts. Both plates were excellent, though the combination was a bit salty for me. My husband was totally astonished by the Oysters and the fish/seafood he had. Small downside was the noise level (restaurant full and small, hard to hear the server), but we could still hold a private conversation. Decor was very cozy with warm stone walls. Service was flawless (not disturbing, very good advice on food and drinks). Combines excellent quality + quantity and reasonable price for such place. Totally recommend it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.