234 South B Street
San Mateo, CA 94401Neighborhood:
Pan-AsianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.atticrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 6503424506
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm; Bar: 4:00pm - last call
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Pan-Asian, Southeast Asian
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Private Room, Wine
- Catering: For catering, buffets, large party dining, after hour cocktail parties, or venue rental needs, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or (650) 342-4506.
- Special Events: Level 236, a nightclub/ lounge venue next door to Attic, is also available for your private event needs. For rental and venue info, please contact email@example.com or (650) 348-8008.
A word from Attic
An attic is where lost treasures are rediscovered, realized and re-imagined. Some of the most exciting flavors and culinary gems are hidden throughout Asia, where the cultures have mastered the art of cooking for centuries. With that in mind, we cordially invite you a unique exploration of food, décor, and service in San Mateo's Attic restaurant, bar and lounge.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
Attic - Best Restaurants in San Mateo ›
Attic reviews from OpenTable diners
27 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (14)fit for foodies (12)good for groups (9)vibrant bar scene (9)late-night find (7)special occasion (6)romantic (5)hot spot (4)kid-friendly (2)scenic view (2)great for brunch (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- SatisfyThePalateDined on 9/6/2014Had fun, food was good, service was a little off but our server deducted one dish from our bill because it got served late without us asking for such credit. Overall, it was a good experience. The one thing with this building is it does not have an elevator to get you upstairs to the restaurant from the bar downstairs. For anyone on wheelchair this is not the best venue.Special Features:
- Just OkayOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/16/2014This was our second time to The Attic. The first time was very good. This time it all went downhill. Service was poor - they should hire some professionals to host and wait on tables, not all trainees. The host was not the most attentive, preoccupied with her computer. We ordered about 12 dishes and the waiter brought them out one at a time and they all came out cold! Did he forget about our dishes and let them sit there? Hard to tell if the food was good this time - surely was not good cold. Way too much msg in their food. We were all terribly thirsty after the meal.Special Features:
- Great food and funNugGaryVIPDined on 8/8/2014Don't miss the Brussel Sprouts or Sizzling Sisig. Actually there are many great items on the menu. What really makes this neighborhood gem are the people that work there. The service is attentive and fun!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent FoodAlohaflowDined on 8/2/2014Excellent food. Drink service was a bit slow otherwise service was attentive. Under $40 per person including cocktails and pupus.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/25/2014The parking was awful however, that did not deter us from going. They were so patient and allowed us to be almost 15 minutes late to our reservation. The food was unbelievable. Really delicious and inventive, without being pretentious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't go wrongOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/16/2014My wife and I have been loving this place since it opened. The menu changes regularly so there is always something new to try. We love the bar side on the 2nd floor. Much more quiet than downstairs and more romantic.Special Features:
- Consistently great food and serviceNugGaryVIPDined on 6/17/2014We love this place! The brussel sprouts, ahi tuni poke and sizzling sisig are our favorites.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tiny portionsjoncsDined on 6/11/2014This staff here is very polite and engaged, and the ambience is nice, but they essentially charge entrée prices for appetizer portions. My friend and I spent close to $80 and bounced over to In n Out after to avoid going home hungry. I would recommend this place for drinks only.
- Fun but loudtineDined on 6/6/2014Dined here for my 30th birthday with a party of 13. It was really loud - difficult to hear even the person next to me. I think it would be better in a smaller group. However, the food and the service was great. They let you bring cocktails from Under the Attic (the affiliated bar downstairs) up to dinner with you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fish and veggy loversOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 6/6/2014our party had a guest who only ate veggies and fish and we have lots to choose from...all delicious. In fact, more so than our one beef dish that we ordered. curry cauliflower was very different. kale and quinoa salad was good as was the roasted brussels sprouts. sweet pea and shrimp was yummy; tuna poke starter was great. our server Michelle was very helpful, patient and attentive. all the staff was very pleasant too as it got busy and noisy and then more calm. charming space that really felt like a fun attic space to have a small party.Special Features:
- Great VibeOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 6/3/2014We enjoyed our evening thoroughly. The cocktails were unusual and very balanced and creative. The food was very tasty and again inventive. The service was excellent.Special Features:
- Delicious food, great decorFamOfFourDined on 6/3/2014Love this place, from the cool bar downstairs to the funky decor upstairs (decorated to look like an attic) to the amazing food. Great service too! Favorites include the poke appetizer and shaking beef.... and the Thai mojito!
- The following 200 reviews are from the Attic reviews archive.
- Be sure to go upstairsTriGirlDined on 5/14/2014I went out of my way to go to this restaurant for a casual client dinner. Easy to find, located in downtown San Mateo. The bar on the bottom floor is nondescript, loud music - would not even know that there was a restaurant upstairs except I had made reservations on OpenTable for dinner reservations and saw the menu. Not sure how they market this restaurant otherwise for OpenTable. I heard of the restaurant by chance from a co-worker and I went onto OpenTable to check it out. The food was very good - the appetizers were very small, hard to share. Asian fusion, but not many gluten free options. Limited Menu. Drinks were very good. Waiter was very friendly and accommodating. Knew the menu well. Liked the open window concept.Special Features:
- Filipino Fusion done right!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/7/2014I loved every dish we ordered - from the garlic noodles to the lumpia to the sisig. As a Filipino America, this place got it right in terms of the mix of other Asian foods with traditional filipino dishes. Plus, the upstairs dining area is so cozy!Special Features:
- SatisfiedmargoVIPDined on 3/21/2014We ordered sweet potato fries, ahi tuna poke, lumpia cigarillos and calamari. I would order the fries and tuna again. Dinner we ordered Long Life Garlic Noodles, Adobo Wing Lollipops, Salpicao, and Pea Sprout Stir Fry. I would definitely order the noodles again. The lollipops were good but I wouldn't order the other items. I would try some new items next time.Special Features:
- Pleasantly SurprisedNibblesDined on 3/5/2014My clients arrived into SFO airport and instead of taking them to their hotels into San Francisco, I decided that it would be better to find a place for them to wind down from the trip and have dinner closer to the airport. It's also better plan than fighting traffic into San Francisco. My client told me that he wanted to dine in San Francisco thinking that restaurants were much better there. I did tell him that is not the case these days and he should trust me on this. Both clients were pleasantly surprised with the Attic. They loved everything about it and were impressed with my choice. They are both foodies from Orange County, therefore their standard for eating out is quite high.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- it was just okzhannaDined on 3/1/2014The food was ok, nothing super exciting. We had party of 5 on satruday night. The restaurant was booked for a private party and they were not letting anyone in past 10 pm. Our reservation was at 8:30. Once they served us someone was hovering over our table asking if we were done every 2 min. At one point i was eating from a plate that the server asked if he can take away. I expected to enjoy my evening not have someone breath down my neck and expect me to leave 40 min after the food was served.Special Features:
- High energy establismentniteoutowlsDined on 2/28/2014A loud but friendly place. Not a venue for a quiet romantic meal but if one doesn't mind a raucous environment along with some very good Philippine influenced dishes this is a fun restaurant. Due to very difficult traffic in downtown San Mateo on a Friday night we were over a half hour late but the hostess assured us a table would soon be available. We were seated within five minutes and our server was right there to assist us with our selections. Dishes are arranged "family style" and our curiosity of the cuisine may have caused us to over order but very little was left on the plates when we concluded our repast. Service was friendly and very efficient. The Attic's decibel level is high but so is the quality of the service and the food,Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not your traditional Asian fusion!prymnumberVIPDined on 2/15/2014We took a visiting cousin to the Attic and all three of us were delighted by the food. The dishes were flavorfull and vibrant. I took some of the leftovers home for my husband and he liked it even then. Definitely would come back.Special Features:
- Great food! Better service!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/14/2014Great food! Better service! This was our first time going after hearing a lot about it. We weren't disappointed.Special Features:
- The atticLwgarveyDined on 2/12/2014I picked the Attic based on yelp reviews and location. We were pleasantly surprised by the atmosphere, service and food. It was a lively scene, even on an early Wednesday night. I highly recommend this restaurant. It's right across from the San Mateo theaters, so would be the perfect location for date night. I took a handful of cards to give to my friends and co workers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner and a DrinkOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/8/2014My fiance and I shared an early Valentine's day this Saturday at the Attic. We were seated promptly at 8pm and served very quickly. We had some excellent cocktails which were both creative and strong, followed by the brussel sprout appetizer which I enjoyed but it tasted fishy so my fiance did not. The food is served family style, so the plating is large and for the whole table. We had the Korean BBQ beef and the sisling pork with egg. Both were excellent fair and well in keeping with our low-carb diet.. The view, ambiance and decor is all quite charming and intimate. The table for two was a bit small given the fact that food is service style, but that's our only complaint. Also, the bar downstairs is great and has a fantastic happy hour.Special Features:
- Paying for the atmospherexSLjenDined on 2/6/2014I've tasted better restaurants in the area and this place is certainly over priced for the taste. Portion was okay, but food was quite bland except for the curry. Garlic noodle lacked a lot of garlic, pretty much just chow mien with no meat even though I ordered it with crab.
- Nice...gradnightDined on 1/15/2014It was good, food was nice and bar has a good vibe and decent happy hour prices. Interesting décor upstairs, a little loud but not annoying. Odd layout but attractive and well done.Special Features:
- Birthday CelebrationLBRBDined on 1/15/2014This was a great choice to celebrate a friend's birthday. We ordered a variety of appetizers and main course to share. It worked out great.Special Features:
- Food Nirvana!RamblistDined on 11/13/2013The food is served to share -- tapas/family style -- so order a few mains and starters for everyone at the table to share. This is a fun way to try everything! Attic is a gem in the busy restaurant row of South B street. Although this restaurant is categorized on FB and Yelp as Chinese..that it is not. It is more of a Pan Asian-fusion with a heavy emphasis on the Filipino roots it build upon. Chef Tim Luym mixes traditional Filipino food with other Asian influence and comes up with wonderful, mouthfuls of bliss. The brussels sprouts are amazing; Gambas al ajo (garlic shrimp) pair will with the garlic rice are a must try; Long Life Garlic Noodles and Crab Butter Fried Rice are life changing -- food Nirvana!I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food at Attic is alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 11/12/2013The food at Attic is always interesting and delicious. I have never ordered a dish I didn't like. The beef Salpicao is my favorite. The atmosphere is young and upbeat. The staff are all friends and are wonderfully personable to their customers. They have a way of making you feel like you are one of their personal friends. If you go often, Mel will remember what you like to eat or drink and may have it on the way before you've had a chance to order it! Really, the food is delicious but the service makes you come again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never AgainFoodTravelerVIPDined on 10/22/2013I read the previous reviews in Attic and expected to get a somewhat funky place with good if not exceptional food. Although they delivered on the funky atmosphere, every other part of the experience was sub par. The highlight of the evening was the spicy tuna appetizer which was well seasoned and accompanied by light and flavorful toasts. I should have stopped there. The pork entree was just an asian version of a fajita done poorly. In addition to the sub par food, the service was rushed. I had barely made it half way through my appetizer when my entree arrived. I would never go back and I highly recommend that you choose other alternatives in the neighborhood, of which there are many
- Fil-Am FusionDoctorMontalbanDined on 10/19/2013Fun restaurant, upstairs from their lively downstairs bar. Right across from the movie theater and adds to the revamped downtown San Mateo scene. It seems like it's a newer kitchen and the service isn't all that well coordinated. Minor negatives, like a confusing set up/host area, mistakes with the ordering, lack of things like sparkling water or coffee/espresso. But what they do have is great food. We had the adobo chicken lollipops, pork sissig, lumpia cigarillos, butter crab fried rice, garlic noodles, and a sizzling beef dish. All of it was fantastic. For dessert we had the nutella flan and coconut ube bread pudding, along with Thai iced tea. There wasn't a dish that wasn't excellent. Definitely worth a try for anyone.Special Features:
- Pretty GoodYeJenn28Dined on 9/20/2013I had been here previously with a friend around 6 on a weeknight, and it was quite pleasant. The food wasn't amazing but was one of the better choices in the area. We went this time with four people total on Saturday night, and it was quite a bit louder. We were tucked in a corner which allowed us privacy but wasn't great for air circulation. Food was good again, and the portions allowed us to try many dishes. The drinks are made-to-order quite sweet. Hostess and bar service downstairs was great, but all our food (starters and entrees) all came out at once.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Have a great night out with friendsOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 9/12/2013I enjoy coming to Attic with a bunch of friends, and ordering several dishes to share (I generally go with the number of people at the table, plus one - and then some rice). We always have fun trying a bunch of different food, with wonderful flavor and friendly service. Do note that the wings take a bit longer to come out, so if you're really hungry, be sure to order other items in addition (everything else comes out very quickly). Also try the garlic noodles and the gambas. I also recommend arriving earlier than your reservation and meeting up at Under Attic for their fantastic and super long happy hour (and if that's crowded, go next door to B Street Station -- it's owned by the same folks).Special Features:
- Service wasn't great. TheAmeighanDined on 9/6/2013Service wasn't great. The food was ok but a bit greasy. I had high expectations and didn't think it was that great. Happy hour in under attic is great though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was good, but we reallyDavidDined on 8/24/2013Food was good, but we really got amatuer hour service. Our waitress was actually the bartender and she couldn't handle both at the same time. Therefore, our food order was misplaced or something and so it took a really, really long time for the food to come. We ended up cancelling half the order because it was taking so long.
- We love this place!NugGaryVIPDined on 8/23/2013The food is great!!!! We always order the brussell sprouts and pork sisig with an egg, but there are many items on the menu that should not be missed. Not only is the food good, but the owner and staff are phenomenal! Marco, Melvin and the others really make you feel at home.Special Features:
- Filipino Food with FlairSparrow57VIPDined on 8/15/2013Filipino food is a completely under-appreciated Asian gem. Combining flavors from its Spanish colonial legacy with those native to Asia, the result is a spectacular array of interesting dishes using ingredients that range from fish sauce to banana ketchup to olive oil! Attic has managed to modernize and expand upon this special cuisine in a way that appeals to a broader audience. Their Sizzling Sisig (pork) and Gindara (black cod) are must haves. And the lumpia is an old standard favorite with a twist.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not like it used to beLocavoreDined on 7/27/2013We fell in love with this place when it first opened as the variety and quality of its little plates -- sort of Asian fusion tapas -- were excellent along with the service, but both have declined. On our last visit our first plates arrived long before our cocktails. The ahi poke was still excellent, but the chicken lettuce wraps were totally different -- mostly noodles as filler they never contained before, dry pieces of chicken, and watery tasteless sauce to pour on that did nothing but run down your arm; it used to be a delicious saute of finely chopped ingredients bound together with a thick tasty sauce. We tried 2 new dishes that didn't work. This used to be our automatic go-to for dinner before a movie across the street but no more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First timers impressionabcdDined on 7/12/2013The flavor of the food were great but everything was super salty. It was good to try for once but definitely will not come back. Great service, servers were friendly. Super crowded downstairs. First time at this place and no one helped to tell us the restaurant is upstairs. We went in and went back out to make sure it was the correct place. Thanks to the bartender for leading us upstairs. Was really hoping to get happy hour upstairs as well since we are having dinner. Overall, food is too salty. Too crowded to even get upstairs for food, no one to direct us to the restaurant for first timers (bad impression).
- Nice little spotOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/15/2013We loved all the flavors. We had ceviche, calamari, garlic noodles and Korean beef and all was yummy with great flavors.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food and the service atOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 6/13/2013The food and the service at Attic are always good. The staff is so friendly and make you feel like they know you. The atmosphere is fun and hip.The dishes are fresh, interesting, and delicious. It is one of my favorites and I always love to bring new people to try it.Special Features:
- Good food-bad serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/1/2013Food was great--a bit over priced for the small portions though. The service was just straight bad; at my table and at neighboring tables. When the runner brought the food to the table a foot and a half away, he decided to deliver it by squeezing between our two tables and bending over...I actually leaned the other way because his bottom was nearly hitting me and my water glass. The other side of their table was plenty of open space which he should have utilized. They don't leave water carafes at your table, so you have to wait for them to walk by and refill your water. We had to ask one of the bussers, who stammered incoherently, to get a server to our table. Would return only for the food and not for a special occasion.I would recommend this to a friend.