Atlantic Beach Club
55 Purgatory Road
Middletown, RI 02842Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
Atlantic Beach Club
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.atlanticbeachclub.com/
- Phone: 4018472750
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Brunch: Sunday: 10:30am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Nightly
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Kurt Schultz
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Friday and Saturday nights in the lounge 8pm-12pm
Sunday afternoon Jazz 3-7 Mac Chrupcula and special guests
- Special Events: Rehearsal dinners, anniversary parties, birthday parties, weddings, corporate events, clambakes .
A word from Atlantic Beach Club
Whether you're looking for casual outdoor dining or fine seafood and steaks, The Atlantic Beach Club has something to suit your taste: patio dining outside in the summer including clamcakes and burgers; a full menu of wonderfully prepared seafood,steaks, and pasta; banquet menu for rehearsal dinners and special events; Sunday buffet brunch served from 10:30 AM to 2:00 PM,Continued
including a carving station and a large offering of
breakfast and lunch items.
including a carving station and a large offering of
breakfast and lunch items.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
Atlantic Beach Club - Best Restaurants in Newport ›
Atlantic Beach Club reviews from OpenTable diners
48 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (29)great for outdoor dining (23)good for groups (19)great for brunch (11)great for lunch (11)special occasion (11)neighborhood gem (8)vibrant bar scene (8)fit for foodies (8)kid-friendly (6)romantic (5)hot spot (3)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Good for business casual dinnerCumulusDined on 10/6/2014We visited this restaurant for an anniversary. Though they have the white tablecloths, it's more business casual than dressy/fancy. We liked that it wasn't stuffy, in other words, overly fancy. The view is of the water is nice but limited by the layout and outdoor area blocking some of the view. The food was wonderful! On a prior occasion, we visited the bar and had lunch, which was very delicious. We did not dress up for the bar area but some folks do as they have a nice bar. As a sidenote: lots of tour buses stop at this restaurant for their group lunch and dinners, so large groups can be accommodated.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/5/2014Had a great brunch here with family. Candace our server was fantastic, I always enjoy the ABC!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- kat32Dined on 9/24/2014This might be a place for a banquet on the beach if the food were edible. Sadly, for a regular Wednesday night, the banquet hall sized dining room was way too brightly lit to permit a good view of the beach, and made the place seem stark. Salad was a good size, but way over-dressed and over-loaded with shaved onions. Swordfish was well grilled, but came served on top of a messy bed of raw garlic infested soggy portobello mushrooms, and tomatoes that smelled foul.Special Features:
- A Favorite, But Changes DisappointOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/20/2014Atlantic Beach Club has been one of our go-to places for many years. Good food and service right by the beach. However, there have been some changes that we find disappointing. The complimentary assorted olives, oil, and grated cheese for dipping bread have been replaced with chopped olives and butter. A house salad used to be included with every entre, but is no longer. The portions are also a bit smaller. We always considered the Atlantic Beach Club a good dining value. Now not so much.Special Features:
- Loud music killed conversationabcdDined on 9/14/2014Booked dinner for party of 6 in dining room for 50th birthday dinner. They didn't tell us dining room closed for private event. Seated us in bar where loud jazz band played. Could not hear across table. One member of party order steak which was tough and had to send back.Special Features:
- Worth a stopDavePVIPDined on 9/9/2014Overall I was not that impressed with the Swordfish sandwich but the service was good and the rest of the meals in my party looked pretty good.Special Features:
- Friendly ServicetjjeVIPDined on 9/8/2014Always friendly and fun at the ABC. The lobster roll is excellent and the fisherman's platter is unbelievable.Special Features:
- Lively, a little noisy, nice viewOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/4/2014Our dinners were great, scallops not sandy, mixed grill of fish all well prepared pretty. Fairly busy outside on the patio, and the bar was off to the side from the dining area which was good. If you want the quieter dining, there are lots of inside tables.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food and service12345Dined on 8/31/2014Great clam chowder Seafood in bouillabaisse overlooked broth bland Nice sitting outside thankfully away from very loud live musicSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food at restaurant on beachJimCo48Dined on 8/30/2014The food, service, and view were all outstanding. French Onion Soup was incredible. Both of our fish entrees were well prepared.Special Features:
- Go for LunchPennyVIPDined on 8/17/2014We found Atlantic Beach Club to be an ideal spot for lunch, as had been recommended to us while in Newport, but disappointing in comparison to other Newport retaurants, for dinner. The Lobster Boil tasted too heavily of the three types of sausages boiled with it. I prefer my seafood to taste like seafood, and not like sausage! The corn was mushy and not sweet. The four of us agreed that the linguini with red clam sauce, which we ordered as an appetizer, was the best dish we had. I would not go back for dinner. Our server was excellent and the ocean view was wonderful, but the food was lacking.Special Features:
- Not badHdhejVIPDined on 8/9/2014The place serves good food, but the seasoning is poor. They accommodated my mother's allergies by doing a piece of plain fish rather than seasoning it with some flavor as Cod has very little flavor. There are much better places, but the price is right during the week if you catch the early bird special.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/8/2014Beautiful setting...easy to park...nice atmosphereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot, bad service experienceAlyChouiDined on 8/8/2014Food was wonderful and view from outdoor patio is beautiful. Our server was very nice but overwhelmed and made it known. Asked for bread 3 times and her response was "I just got 2 tables, so I'll try and get it soon". I believe that it is not the customers responsibility to have to be "understanding" when we are paying up $29/30 for an entree. Additionally, appetizers came out without plates or proper condiments, drinks were empty for our whole meal before she asked if we "needed anything" and we waited for our check/change for almost a half hour. I hope that the service issue is addressed, as the restaurant atmosphere and food are outstanding!Special Features:
- Great place to eat!JandMDined on 8/7/2014We went on a Thursday at 5:00 and had the early bird specials. What a great deal! My husband and I enjoyed the view. The food was delicious and the service was excellent. I would definitely recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedTableHunterVIPDined on 7/26/2014The setting of the Atlantic Beach Club is nice. Our party of 4 dined there on Saturday for lunch. It was very busy with lots of people there for the beach. The live band was good however overwhelmingly loud. Overall, the bar scene, music, large crowd, etc. would seem more appropriate for a late evening. We were disappointed with the food. My wife and I both had the lobster roll. It was dry and nothing special. Our son had the baked scrod and his girlfriend a tuna sandwich. Nothing special on either of those meals either. This is a restaurant that you would choose for location but NOT for the food!Special Features:
- Exceptional food with great serviceExcellentDined on 7/25/2014We like to frequent the Atlantic Beach Club for a number of reasons, but the good food and great service are two of them. Our favorite spot is in the lounge when there is music, even though at times the music can drown conversations. Add to that the great sunset views and outside eating, the outstanding wine list (which you can also find on a free Apple app called Winequest to help choose your favorite wine) and you got game (which is also on if you are on the lounge). One thing that we do miss lately is the free olive oil and olives that you got with bread at each table which has now been replace with olive tapenade and butter.Special Features:
- HankDined on 7/20/2014Service and ambience was above average. MUsic was much too loud in the first dining room the hostess wHankas seating us in and we requested a quieter location which was immediately providedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not impressedRalphDined on 7/20/2014The food was just okay. The service was good. Nothing impressive.Special Features:
- Great serviceLoriLoriDined on 7/15/2014Our server Kate was excellent! She had super suggestions for dinner, and was quite personable . The desserts were exceptional too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Continued ExcellenceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/13/2014Enjoyed outstanding seafood dinner with mrs and s-I-l. It's a rare trip to Newport that does not include lunch and/or dinner at ABC. Never fails to delight. Tonight's entrees included stuffed scrod and fried scallops. Both excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reservations aren't guaranteed?CourtRyan89Dined on 7/12/2014I thought I was doing the right thing by reserving Patio reservations about three weeks in advance. Nope! We were 10 minutes early for our reservation and was told that it would be 45min.-an hour wait to eat on the patio, and that reserving a table online is not a guarantee. My name and number showed on their screen, reserved for 9 people on the Patio at 3:30. I have no idea why they couldn't have called me (again, they had my name and number) to let me know that I shouldn't expect making a reservation isn't guaranteed. Everyone was so hungry that we sat inside, with a great view of the amazing weather, band, and crowd having a great time on the patio. Oh and our food took about an hour to come out, we only had sandwiches. No bueno.Special Features:
- Sooooooo goodJaniVIPDined on 7/7/2014We always enjoy ABC when we visit Newport. The food is great, the view of the ocean is a bonus! It's one of our Newport favorites.Special Features:
- Great food, view, and serviceRollingRhody400Dined on 7/7/2014ABC is consistently good and I look forward to taking guests to this ocean-front jewel because I know they will enjoy the entire experience. The prices are reasonable and parking is available on site.Special Features:
- Beautiful dinningBLLinRIVIPDined on 7/6/2014It was a beautiful summer evening when DH and I dined at Atlantic Beach Club. We were promptly greeted then seated by the hostess. Our table was on the covered patio with a beautiful view of the ocean. Jason, our server was wonderful. Both the service and food was excellent.Special Features:
- Fisherman's PlatterWooWoo316Dined on 7/4/2014I ordered the Fisherman's platter, and almost everything was delicious, tender and moist; unlike the fried shrimp. The shrimp was over fried and actually dry and chewy...extremely disappointing. Other than that, everything was fabulous.Special Features:
- Best brunchGRAMMYBADined on 6/29/2014We have been wanting to go for brunch for a year. It was worth the wait.Special Features:
- They were overwhelmed...MomDayDelightDined on 6/28/2014We like the food very much but they couldn't handle taking care of the people. Although not every table was taken, our server was slow, inattentive and seemingly unaccommodating. We sat with empty glasses, steamers and lobsters came out with no melted butter and would get cold waiting for it to arrive. For such a great place to eat it was a shame our waitress was so weak and unenthusiastic. It made for a less than perfect evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sandy muclesTableforfourDined on 6/28/2014Waitress started out friendly, she brought us our sparkling wine we asked her for an ice bucket and she did but was kind of put out we did..sandy clams..she said oh that means there fresh..ya u no little girl..means there not washed properly!! No bread and we noticed everyone Around us had some...so I guess go there for dinner but don't ask for anything...Special Features:
- OMG - what a mistakeWineLoverVIPDined on 6/28/2014Looking for a nice seafood restaurant, but this was not the one to go to. Expected a view, but there wasn't any. The food was very basic fare. Wines - well at least they weren't very expensive. Do not go here unless you are looking for a basic family restaurant.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/28/2014Food and service was good. Atmosphere left a little to be desired. In the lobby, there were people dressed formally for an event, casually for dining, and in swimwear from the beach. Maybe have aseparate facilities for the beachgoers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The complete experiencekotooleVIPDined on 6/24/2014What more can you ask for? A fabulous view of the ocean and scrumptious food! Sat outside and watched the waves while eating a terrific baked schrod luncheon packed with a topping of shrimp, scallops and newburg sauce. All three of our party ordered the same thing....it is amazing! Can't beat the prices either. Will be back many times!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/23/2014Noise to mutch because a groupe (bus package tours)in the same room Service very long because (the tours groupe) Fish trio was cold we have to send back Service very good (waitress)Special Features:
- The following 263 reviews are from the Atlantic Beach Club reviews archive.
- Beachfront gemBlondesVIPDined on 6/21/2014Our server was excellent, food was ok, a bit soggy, the hostess was a DITZ, did not acknowledge my OT reservation; I called the restaurant the next day to have them correct it, was promised a call back, never got one, & my reservation STILL went to OT as cancelled. Had to resolve with OT, NOT a good thing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice sunday brunchdavesailorDined on 6/15/2014walk on the beach and brunch for father's day. good food, good service. this gets a bit wild and crazy later in the day in the outdoor section, but the indoors is kept nice with a strictly enforced dress code. (i was pleased the hostess sent a bikini-clad chick out to the portajohns in a polite way instead of allowing her inside). good brunch buffet- nice selection including custom omelets, carving station, lunch items, sweet things, muffins, and eggs benedict. great deserts. About 70 bucks for 3 including 2 bloody marys.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Bake Stuffed LobstertjjeVIPDined on 6/11/2014Great food, service and location. One of the best baked stuffed lobsters I have had in the area and a very reasonable price.Special Features:
- Meeting Boston Friendswojo995Dined on 6/1/2014Overall decent meal; one exception was the fried "whole-belly" clams. In both the fried clam dinner and Fisherman's Platter, the fried clams were, well, scrawny...not nearly as good as the original Johnnie's was noted for. Remainder of the Platter was very good, as were the clam cakes and calimari. We did really miss the "stuffies". Service was excellent -- Jason and "Young Ryan" were terrific!Special Features:
- LovestodineoutDined on 5/25/2014Brunch was a great value for the price. Great variety of well-made food. Gorgeous view right on the beach. Restaurant could use some remodeling. Definitely recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Over-bakedLouInPortsmouthVIPDined on 5/23/2014Friday evening dinner with visiting family - 3 out of 4 meals were fine - the 4th, a baked stuffed lobster @ $48 was over-baked. Legs were burned and brittle. Lobster meat was stuck to the claws and nearly impossible to extricate. I know ABC can do better.Special Features:
- ABCtjjeVIPDined on 5/20/2014ABC is always dependable and good. My only suggestion is to bring back stuffies!Special Features: