1814 Western Avenue
Albany, NY 12203Neighborhood:
MediterraneanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.athosrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 5186086400
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Open daily at 4:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, Greek
- Executive Chef: Harry Hatziparaskevas
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Off-premise corporate and private catering services are available to suit any budget and occasion.
- Private Party Facilities: Unique private dining facilities are available for private and corporate events.
- Private Party Contact: Rob Gavel 5186086400
- Entertainment: Every Friday enjoy recognized local jazz musicians performing in the Athos Taverna from 7:00pm until 10:00pm.
Every month features a Greek Night, with live music and dancing.
A word from Athos Restaurant
Athos was voted one of the 100 Best Greek Restaurants in America by The National Herald. Casually elegant, Athos serves only the very freshest seasonal ingredients, lovingly brought together using time-honored recipes and techniques, like clay pot cooking, and whole fresh fish-filleted table-side.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMediterranean
Athos Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Albany ›
Athos Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
79 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (55)fit for foodies (42)romantic (32)neighborhood gem (29)good for groups (24)notable wine list (24)vibrant bar scene (11)late-night find (8)hot spot (5)kid-friendly (3)great for lunch (3)great for brunch (2)Show More
- Outstanding Service & Foodgr8GreekDined on 8/22/2014Impeccable service, extensive wine list especially of Greek wines, delicious appetizers, entrees were fantastic, table-side service was both entertaining and high-class. Overall, Athos is a 5-Star restaurant and I recommend it highly. We will return next time we're visiting Albany.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/18/2014Disappointing. Service was incredibly slow. Food mediocre. Iceberg lettuce in salad.
- Great food, great service!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/18/2014The mushroom and garlic soup was a real hit! I had the chicken dish off the fixed-price menu, while the rest of the family ordered off the regular menu. All dishes were very tasty. The waiter, Kevin, brought a small sample of a white Greek wine to try, in comparison to the typical chardonnay. Attentive service, good food. Will definitely return to Athos!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good restaurantLuv18forgolfDined on 8/17/2014We have eaten here on many occasions and have always found the food very good. An excellent Greek menu mixed with other fish and meats for everyone to enjoy.Special Features:
- Very Nice but very noisy2n24dinnerDined on 8/13/2014Our dinner at Athos was very nice. The food was delicious, the wait staff was excellent. However, once the main dining room (the only dining room) was filled, the noise level was horrible. We were shouting to speak to each other. When we go back we will ask to be seated in the bar area which is adjacent to the main dining room. It was much quieter there and would make our dining experience much more enjoyable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for a special occasion!3kidsintowDined on 8/12/2014The service from being seated to the complimentary birthday dessert was wonderful. The food was fresh, perfectly cooked, and authentically Greek! What a find in the Albany area!! It was fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely amazing foodBenTheTravelerDined on 8/8/2014The service was top-notch and so was the atmosphere - a live jazz trio played great tunes - but the highlight was the food. Absolutely excellent, from the appetizers (try the spanakopita!) to the main dishes (grilled seafood, lamb youvetsi, veal) - everything was fantastic. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic mealbarrysDined on 8/8/2014The food and service were outstanding our area is lucky to have such a wonderful restaurant so close by I highly recommend this restaurant never been disappointed eating there it's just delicious give it a trySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceMeLGDined on 8/6/2014Really enjoyed authentic Greek food experience. Everything was delicious and the servers were great. We are from out of town but we are really looking forward to going back and bringing the rest of the family when we can!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our Second Visit....OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/3/2014....and the second time was as good as the first. Except for one small detail. We ordered 3 spreads and pita bread for the table. They came promptly. Immediately thereafter came 1 appetizer. Ten minutes later, another appetizer. The 3rd appetizer never appeared until we called our waitress over and after another ten minutes or so, she brought out an appetizer that was unacceptable....warm beets and carrots plated with an ice cold mound of potatoes. It was taken back, both the waitress and the manager apologized profusely and offered a substitution, which the person did not take, and then everything proceeded fine. We were pleased with the remained of our meal, the service, and even the bill. Everyone makes a mistake.Special Features:
- Another wonderful experience!BettyBoopDined on 8/2/2014Athos continues to offer the real deal- excellent food, great service, lovely atmosphere and a warm, inviting experience. Being the creature of habit that I am, I once again ordered the whole Bronzino, cooked to perfection and filleted at table side. A treat that is a rare to find in the capital district! The menu offers a variety of Greek specialties including dips, moussaka, lamb and a veal chop flambed with cognac which smelled out of this world. Maybe next time.Special Features:
- Fantastic food as usualNickanatorDined on 8/2/2014We have been to this restaurant many times, the food is reliably excellent, especially for those seeking the traditional Greek dishes. The service is attentive but not overbearing, the space is nice looking but very noisy. This particular night, despite a reservation, we were seated in the bar. Our party of six was cramped, and disappointed with the seating. Had we known we were slated for the bar we would have changed the time or gone another night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food and ServiceMarkDined on 8/2/2014Not being much of a foodie or one that wanders very out out of my food comfort zone, I wasn't what to expect with the Greek cuisine but everything was delicious and the service was outstanding from the minute we walked through the door. Will definitely repeat.Special Features:
- CliffBCliffBDined on 8/1/2014Veal chop & lamb chops & med sea bass were excellent. Very pleasant decor & ambiance. Service was good. Wine selection was reasonably priced & a nice selection.Special Features:
- Memorable birthday dinnerMarysiaDined on 7/26/2014My daughters and I enjoyed a fantastic birthday dinner… from the food, to the service to the atmosphere. Thank you, Athos owners and staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointedJamieVIPDined on 7/26/2014Athos provides traditional Greek hospitality with fresh, healthy food. I love the fresh fish selections, veggies, and martinis. The moussaka and pasticcio are excellent selections if you are in the mood for traditional Greek comfort food. The wine selection offers enough contemporary Greek wine selections to make this an authentic experience.Special Features:
- Another great experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/25/2014Large menu of classic Greek dishes that are well-prepared and not overly expensive; food quality is top notch. Service was great (not rushed, not slow), noting that 1) all dishes are prepared to order; and 2) it was Restaurant Week, so they were very busy. We're unfamiliar with wines from Greece and Macedonia, but server was knowledgeable and helpful. Bar was crowded with happy hour and live jazz.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place!kimsDined on 7/20/2014I made the decision to take my youngest son to his first ever Greek Restaurant and I was glad it Athos. The restaurant was beautiful, the service was great, friendly and kind. And the food was excellant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Place!applegoddessDined on 7/13/20149 of us ate here recently for my birthday dinner...and loved it. We had a really funny excellent server named Kevin who went out of his way to take care of us. There were 2 vegetarians and the rest carnivores and everyone was happy. As a vegetarian I have to say I loved everything I had...the spreads, the amazing salads (tomatoes were some of the best I have had in the Greek salad, also incredible creamy feta that was not too salty), the vegetarian pastitsio, the loukoumades for dessert. Most of us left with doggy bags..very generous portions and reasonable prices. We were in a very nice room with slides of Greece flashing on one wall...didn't detract from our dinner, just made me want to go to Greece. So...highly recommended!Special Features:
- Service outshines the food.RarelyreviewsDined on 7/12/2014The service at Athos is 5-star, and the decor (including white tablecloths) and menu are elegant, however the food is just okay. Entrees were tasty, but did not warrant the price point. The "3 hot appetizer plate" dinner was plated unappealingly, the items weren't hot, and didn't didn't look freshly prepared. There was a $6 up- charge ($18 meal went up to $24) for one non-vegetarian item on the plate -- a tiny, dry, room-temperature quail. (We were informed there would be an upcharge). The flambeed cheese is flambeed "in the kitchen" if you choose it as one of your 3 items--one of our guests complained as it came out room temp and not appealing, and our waiter promptly accommodated us by returning with a serving to flambe table side.
- Bait and SwitchSandymanDined on 6/29/2014We'd been to Athos several times and convinced friends to join us for the Fixed price menu- $22 for appetizer, entrée and dessert. The website notes the availability Sunday thru Thursday and 6 of us went on Sunday. We were told that wasn't available that evening, even though it is printed in their regular menu. The waiter offered to make good on it by providing an appetizer platter for $2/person and free dessert, so we stayed. When the bill came we were charged $12/person for the platter. With 1 drink each the bill with gratuity already added in was nearly $400! That was 65/person and not the 22 promised. We felt ripped off and lied to. We will never go back. No way to treat people.
- never a bad mealAuntiMDined on 6/28/2014Great menu. Good vegetarian choices. Everybody was happy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant surprise!SueMVIPDined on 6/21/2014From the moment we walked in the door and were greeted so warmly by the hostess until the check was paid everything about our visit was perfect and impressive. Our waiter went above and beyond accommodating our requests, the owner stopped by the table upon arrival to welcome us and see if we wanted any assistance with the menu. Best of all the food was marvelous!!! Can't wait to go back when we are in the Albany area again.Special Features:
- Great ExperienceGoodTimesDined on 6/11/2014I took some visiting out-of-town colleagues for dinner and the experience could not have been better. The staff was terrific, service was excellent, and the food was unbelievable. I highly recommend Athos as a perfect place to enjoy food, atmosphere and good times!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingStorkdocDined on 6/2/2014There's a reason Athos is in the top 50 Greek restaurants in the East...actually several reasons. The menu is varied and appeals to vegetarians as well as those who enjoy meat dishes. The aromas and seasonings of each dish are mouth watering. If you like Greek food, you will love Athos. Owners Sophie and George are great hosts and make you feel right at home. Please order tzatziki and hot pita with a Greek salad to start or one of many exceptional appetizers with incredible feta. Try Athos once and you will want to return again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Like fake greek foodTinaDined on 5/31/2014I felt like I was being fooled into eating authentic greek food! For such a high priced menu, the chicken saganaki as main tasted as though they threw in the plate in a microwave to melt the cheese. The other main chicken sta karvouna , the chicken was good but then for a 22$ plate you are serving me frozen vegetables on the side? I am sorry but I am greek and know my greek plates, you are being fooled into eating greek food at this place. Service was blah, the waiter was more interested in chatting with the bartender, didn't even come see us during the main meal, saw us leave no thank you no nothing. This place is a no-noSpecial Features:
- Celebrated our anniversary therealplauscoupleDined on 5/31/2014Enjoyed the meal, we had salad appetizers, shared a whole grilled fish with our own side dishes, dessert and coffee. The staff was very helpful and attentive and the food was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always deliversCharlesVIPDined on 5/30/2014We've been to Athos several times and the staff always delivers great food and an enjoyable evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good foodLeftlanecruiserDined on 5/29/2014Been to Athos several times. Food was good as usual. I tried a s shrimp dish which was good but not as good as the grilled fish or steak dishes I have had in the past. Greek salad was good. The service was great. They are not too kid friendly seeing that they don't have plastic/styrofoam cups for the young ones. Would hate to have a kid break a heavy glass. Hopefully they rectify this soon because it is a nice place.Special Features:
- Good Food & ServicemaccVIPDined on 5/25/2014We found the food here to be good, not great, and the service to be excellent until it came time to receive our check.....then we were kept waiting quite a while.Special Features:
- First time for brunchNonnieDined on 5/11/2014Found food good,but not outstanding as usual.Salmon and turkey top notch...Beef little on tough side.Bargain price as we ate buffet which we rarely do anywhere.Ordering off regular menu the way to go,Still a fav.....service great, as we have come to expect as always on point!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodBeccaDined on 5/10/2014It was our first time dining and the food was great! We will return.Special Features:
- Great food. Great Staff.tiqueDined on 5/10/2014I have been to Athos twice and both times I was pleasantly surprised by the food and staff. The wait staff are always willing to explain things on the menue or offer to let you taste test the wine before you buy a bottle. The food is always fresh and delicious. I will definitely be returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous foodGreekFoodieDined on 5/10/2014I checked the kid-friendly tag because we took our three young (8. 7 and 5 y/o) daughters to celebrate mother's day. Kids menu is available and has the right stuff for the little ones (the pasta with meat sauce is awesome). It was Sat afternoon and by the time we were done dinning the place was starting to get packed. Dear wife and I had been to Athos before and we just confirmed what we thought of the place the first time: Great food. Very good service. The Macedonian lamb was cook to perfection and the fish of the day was very tasty and well prepared.Special Features:
- Wonderful Dining Experiencegreatfind75Dined on 5/7/2014Everything was wonderful from the service to the coffee.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a great dinnerloverestaurantsVIPDined on 5/4/2014This has become our standby restaurant when we're in Albany on business. Always reliable. Fresh, delicious fish, beautiful salads and vegetables, well prepared Greek specialty appetizers. Nice wine. Friendly, helpful staff. Cozy atmosphere.Special Features:
- Athos, what a great experience!AngerosaFanDined on 5/2/2014The wait staff was friendly, courteous, and funny. The food from appetizer to dessert was fantastic. The Angerosa Trio played and they were great entertainment. Would definitely recommend this restaurant to anyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 350 reviews are from the Athos Restaurant reviews archive.
- 30th AnniversaryGMCmanDined on 4/26/2014Went early on a Saturday night to celebrate our anniversary. Our son had given us a gift card over the holidays so seemed like a good time to use it. We were the 2nd couple in the dinning room. Dining room was very nice but cool. Have the wife bring a sweater as the air was on though it was a cool rainy night. Food service was quick though we didn't feel at all rushed. My veal chop dinner was excellent and my wife's shrimp/scallops Marinato dish was OK. Great flavors but shrimp/scallops were a bit over cooked. Appetizer we shared was shredded zucchini deep fried with yogurt dipping sauce was extremely good and I had a glass of Merlot that was very good. Overall a very pleasant experience. It's one of our favorite places to eat.Special Features:
- One of a KindStorkdoc1Dined on 4/23/2014Athos deserves its national recognition as 1 of the nation's Top 100 Greek restaurants. The menu is varied with vegetarian, fish and meat dishes embellished by Greek cuisine flavors. . Prices are moderate and certainly appropriate for our community, considering how fresh and tasty the dishes are. I love the sole Kalonis..... There is no cutting corners, even down to and including the delightful Feta cheese on the Greek salad which is specially selected by the chef. Many professionals are frequently seen dining at Athos, for its ambience, superb dishes and reasonable pricing. Greek night is a joy with "dancing in the aisles" and owner's family involvement. I highly recommend Athos for anyone who enjoys Greek dining at its best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Upscale Greek Restaurantgreat4foodiesDined on 4/20/2014One of our favorite restaurants for special occasions. Very good food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.