1814 Western Avenue
Albany, NY 12203Neighborhood:
MediterraneanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.athosrestaurant.com/
- Phone: (518) 608-6400
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Open daily at 4:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, Greek
- Executive Chef: Harry Hatziparaskevas
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Off-premise corporate and private catering services are available to suit any budget and occasion.
- Private Party Facilities: Unique private dining facilities are available for private and corporate events.
- Private Party Contact: Rob Gavel 5186086400
- Entertainment: Every Friday enjoy recognized local jazz musicians performing in the Athos Taverna from 7:00pm until 10:00pm.
Every month features a Greek Night, with live music and dancing.
A word from Athos Restaurant
Athos was voted one of the 100 Best Greek Restaurants in America by The National Herald. Casually elegant, Athos serves only the very freshest seasonal ingredients, lovingly brought together using time-honored recipes and techniques, like clay pot cooking, and whole fresh fish-filleted table-side.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerMediterranean
Athos Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Albany ›
Athos Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
85 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (55)special occasion (55)romantic (32)good for groups (27)neighborhood gem (26)notable wine list (24)vibrant bar scene (12)late-night find (8)hot spot (5)kid-friendly (4)great for lunch (3)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Great findOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/22/2014All around great experience there were 7 of us apps, entree , desert and wine. Top notch. I had the skirt steak and my wife had the whole boned chicken (we will definitely go back)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Athos Rocks!brendabDined on 11/22/2014My husband and I were pleasantly surprised by the exceptional first dining experience we had at Athos. The food and service were top-notch. The restaurant looked very new, both inside and out, and while the decoration was minimal, it was tasteful. The bar area looked especially attractive. We ate on the early side as we were attending a performance of the Albany Symphony, and the noise level was manageable, but as the tables (at least those for 2 along either side of the room) are closely spaced together and when the place is full, it might be another story. We started with an excellent appetizer (there are many to chose from) of golden and red beets with skordalia, that wonderful garlic and potato puree, plus a Greek salad. Both were delicious. I had the Fish Plaki and my husband had one of the special fish dishes that was de-boned table-side. Both were cooked to perfection. Pricing seemed fair. All in all, a totally enjoyable meal, and one we look forward to repeating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent food and wineCreoVIPDined on 11/15/2014Great food Great wine Delicious appetizers and desserts Waitress was superb! Bartender remembered part of our party and treated us royallySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Paleo Perfect!CarrieDined on 11/12/2014Thank the Greek gods and goddesses I found this place! Do you know how hard it is to eat out when you eat paleo?! I met my friends there for dinner Wednesday night and we loved it! The place is stylish and elegant. The only problem I would say is that it was cold in the dining room and we all kept our coats on for quite a while. Our server was super attentive and knowledgeable about the menu and wine list. I had the Macedonian Lamb with kale and the veggies of the day, carrots, broccoli and zucchini. It was perfectly cooked and flavored and I ate all of it. My friends both had a chicken dish with rice and veggies, which they enjoyed. They ordered a dessert, which I didn't partake in but was told that it wasn't that good. I thought it looked like Dunkin' Donut munchkins done-up with a sauce and some powdered sugar. I guess they were "mushy" in the middle. I really don't care about the dessert and I'm willing to bet that one of the other desserts would have been very good. I did ask if there was fresh fruit for dessert for me but there wasn't so I would like to suggest that be added to the menu. I have no idea if that is at all Greek or Mediterranean, but I think it would please many customers to have that option. Overall, we loved it and I can't wait to come back with my husband soon, perhaps before the next time we attend the Albany Symphony!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Greek Food!EntheosDined on 11/8/2014The food is always excellent! It's hard to find fresh seafood in Albany but Athos always has great fish! The lamb melts in your mouth and the Baklava cheesecake is a must. This is a great small Greek restaurant with lots of warmth and charm. The food is authentic and the staff is always helpful in making suggestions or explaining items. You can take the kids to the tavern side (more casual) or have a romantic dinner for two in the formal dinning area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding food and serviceRobbieBowtieDined on 10/24/2014Athos exceeded my expectations in terms of service and food. The only negative is a large open noisy dining room, which made ir=t hard to have a quiet conversation.Special Features:
- Great placeJaimeDined on 10/22/2014Service was impeccable. Food was even better! Will def. be back after I'm not pregnant anymore so I can drink the wine!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for our anniversaryLmzrDined on 10/18/2014My hubby and I were looking for an elegant and romantic restaurant where we could celebrate our 27th anniversary without breaking the bank. Food, service, atmosphere were perfect. Our waitress brought us a special dessert which was very kind and made the evening very memorable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/9/2014First time at this place for me. I love Greek food so wanted to give it a try. Had the grilled octopus appetizer which was very tender and tasty. My girlfriend had the chicken special and loved it! I had the Branzini sea bass that was grilled to perfection. Definitely worth trying if you're in town.Special Features:
- Consistent Quality MealCat56Dined on 10/8/2014I have eaten here several times already and always have a great meal. The choice of appetizer, entree and desserts is always good. Would highly recommend to anyone who loves mediterranean food.Special Features:
- Service & Foodgplace57Dined on 10/6/2014The dining room was perfect. Not cluttered with deco. The food was good.. and the service was better! Nice romantic location or dinner with friends/ Co-workers.Special Features:
- It was a Special DinnerDelmarDameDined on 10/5/2014Our first anniversary and Athos was a special place to celebrate it! We started with the calamari, and it was excellent - and we are calamari aficionados! DH had the lamb shank and I had a grilled fish of the day - both wonderful. The service was impeccable. If you are vegetarian, the gigantes beans are to die for! Athos is a little out of the way for us, but it is worth it.Special Features:
- Genuine Greek Gormet in GuilderlandFossilDined on 10/4/2014Greek Food prepared as though you were dining in Athens or Mykonos, terrific!Special Features:
- Why not us?bobmDined on 10/4/2014When I made the reservation, I specifically noted it was my wife's birthday, and confirmed that when the restaurant called me that afternoon. Shortly after we arrived, a birthday was noisily acknowledged with singing and a dessert at another table, so I expected the same for my wife. Unfortunately no notice was paid to my wife's birthday. Why did the restaurant call that afternoon to confirm the birthday and then ignore it? Also, I ordered a seafood item that was described o the menu as including diver scallops. Tha dish as served included sea scallops that were definitely not the size or of diver scallops. If there is a next visit to Athos, I wil definitely inquire about any similar claim on the menu.Special Features:
- KjwnKjwnDined on 9/28/2014Love, love, love this restaurant would highly recommend it! Food is excellent, service is excellent. Our second time there. Our son goes to SUNY Albany. So, we looked online and found this incredible restaurant. Can't wait to go back. Pricey but worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Probably best restaurant in AlbanyOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/18/2014In a vast wasteland with maybe 2 or 3 tolerable high end restaurants, this one shines.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A tad too loud.richDined on 9/18/2014Much too loud for a neighborhood restaurant. Some sound absorbing materials would help.Special Features:
- gfastrDined on 9/16/2014An excellent night out with old friends. Great menu selections, decidedly different from anything else around.Special Features:
- good food, good service, but priceyGiveItATryDined on 9/12/2014The service was attentive and pleasant, although a little over zealous on refilling the water. Portions weren't huge, but were still decent. The price was rather high (almost no meal for under $25) for the quality of the food. Don't get me wrong, the food was good, but it wasn't fantastic or outstanding. It's a very nice restaurant overall, just a bit over priced in my opinion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Dining experienceBonesDined on 9/11/2014We went to Athos to celebrate my sister-in-laws 50th bday. I have been to the restaurant many times before and wanted to share the experience with my family. We were not disappointed. The food was excellent as always ,and our server was very pleasant. We will be back!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday dinnerBdaydinerDined on 9/5/2014Dined for my birthday. Food, service and atmosphere were all exceptional! Will definitely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Last minute, great choice!HatewritingreviewsDined on 9/1/2014I had a friend visiting and we'd been shopping at Colonie Center. We wanted a good restaurant, not a chain, and based on reviews here, used open table to get a reservation at Athos. The staff were extraordinarily nice from the moment we walked in, to the time we departed. At first we were ushered into the white-cloth covered tables in thr dining room away from the quiet bar, but the room felt cold and we asked to stay in the bar area. We were seated at a high top table that was very comfortable. We ordered several appetizers, shared a main dish and finally a dessert, all if which were mouth watering lay delicious. I'm glad I finally had the chance to visit this gem. My companion from the city was equally impressed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!tiggerDined on 8/31/2014Everything about this restaurant is good. The food and staff were great!Special Features:
- bocfanbecbec60Dined on 8/29/2014The service was the best in any restaurant I have been in. My complements to the managers and owners. You should be very proud of your employees. The food was also excellent,we will be back !!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Even for the "gods"epicureanVIPDined on 8/27/2014Recommend Athos to friends (Group of 6 with kids)visiting Saratoga last month and they were very happy with their meals. I recommended this restaurent to them solely on the review of their menu. Any kitchen that is prepared to take the time to cook traditional dishes in clay pots, needs to be recognized for such aspirations. The menu is very authentic and the dishes are as good as most "greek" grandmother's cooking. Truly a gem in the area and worth the distance for a fine mediterranean dining experience. If you are Greek like myself you will enjoy the soundtracks of old and new music played in the background.Special Features:
- Outstanding Service & Foodgr8GreekDined on 8/22/2014Impeccable service, extensive wine list especially of Greek wines, delicious appetizers, entrees were fantastic, table-side service was both entertaining and high-class. Overall, Athos is a 5-Star restaurant and I recommend it highly. We will return next time we're visiting Albany.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/18/2014Disappointing. Service was incredibly slow. Food mediocre. Iceberg lettuce in salad.
- Great food, great service!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/18/2014The mushroom and garlic soup was a real hit! I had the chicken dish off the fixed-price menu, while the rest of the family ordered off the regular menu. All dishes were very tasty. The waiter, Kevin, brought a small sample of a white Greek wine to try, in comparison to the typical chardonnay. Attentive service, good food. Will definitely return to Athos!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good restaurantLuv18forgolfDined on 8/17/2014We have eaten here on many occasions and have always found the food very good. An excellent Greek menu mixed with other fish and meats for everyone to enjoy.Special Features:
- Very Nice but very noisy2n24dinnerDined on 8/13/2014Our dinner at Athos was very nice. The food was delicious, the wait staff was excellent. However, once the main dining room (the only dining room) was filled, the noise level was horrible. We were shouting to speak to each other. When we go back we will ask to be seated in the bar area which is adjacent to the main dining room. It was much quieter there and would make our dining experience much more enjoyable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for a special occasion!3kidsintowDined on 8/12/2014The service from being seated to the complimentary birthday dessert was wonderful. The food was fresh, perfectly cooked, and authentically Greek! What a find in the Albany area!! It was fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely amazing foodBenTheTravelerDined on 8/8/2014The service was top-notch and so was the atmosphere - a live jazz trio played great tunes - but the highlight was the food. Absolutely excellent, from the appetizers (try the spanakopita!) to the main dishes (grilled seafood, lamb youvetsi, veal) - everything was fantastic. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic mealbarrysDined on 8/8/2014The food and service were outstanding our area is lucky to have such a wonderful restaurant so close by I highly recommend this restaurant never been disappointed eating there it's just delicious give it a trySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceMeLGDined on 8/6/2014Really enjoyed authentic Greek food experience. Everything was delicious and the servers were great. We are from out of town but we are really looking forward to going back and bringing the rest of the family when we can!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our Second Visit....OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/3/2014....and the second time was as good as the first. Except for one small detail. We ordered 3 spreads and pita bread for the table. They came promptly. Immediately thereafter came 1 appetizer. Ten minutes later, another appetizer. The 3rd appetizer never appeared until we called our waitress over and after another ten minutes or so, she brought out an appetizer that was unacceptable....warm beets and carrots plated with an ice cold mound of potatoes. It was taken back, both the waitress and the manager apologized profusely and offered a substitution, which the person did not take, and then everything proceeded fine. We were pleased with the remained of our meal, the service, and even the bill. Everyone makes a mistake.Special Features:
- Another wonderful experience!BettyBoopDined on 8/2/2014Athos continues to offer the real deal- excellent food, great service, lovely atmosphere and a warm, inviting experience. Being the creature of habit that I am, I once again ordered the whole Bronzino, cooked to perfection and filleted at table side. A treat that is a rare to find in the capital district! The menu offers a variety of Greek specialties including dips, moussaka, lamb and a veal chop flambed with cognac which smelled out of this world. Maybe next time.Special Features:
- Fantastic food as usualNickanatorDined on 8/2/2014We have been to this restaurant many times, the food is reliably excellent, especially for those seeking the traditional Greek dishes. The service is attentive but not overbearing, the space is nice looking but very noisy. This particular night, despite a reservation, we were seated in the bar. Our party of six was cramped, and disappointed with the seating. Had we known we were slated for the bar we would have changed the time or gone another night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food and ServiceMarkDined on 8/2/2014Not being much of a foodie or one that wanders very out out of my food comfort zone, I wasn't what to expect with the Greek cuisine but everything was delicious and the service was outstanding from the minute we walked through the door. Will definitely repeat.Special Features:
- CliffBCliffBDined on 8/1/2014Veal chop & lamb chops & med sea bass were excellent. Very pleasant decor & ambiance. Service was good. Wine selection was reasonably priced & a nice selection.Special Features:
- The following 373 reviews are from the Athos Restaurant reviews archive.
- Memorable birthday dinnerMarysiaDined on 7/26/2014My daughters and I enjoyed a fantastic birthday dinner… from the food, to the service to the atmosphere. Thank you, Athos owners and staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.