212 S Halsted St
Chicago, IL 60661Neighborhood:
GreekPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.athenarestaurantchicago.com/
- Phone: (312) 655-0000
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 4:00pm
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Greek
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Fireplace, Full Bar, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Athena Restaurant
Serving delicious Greek cuisine in a classic old world setting. Indoors, enjoy our fine Greek architecture and art, with comfortable seating and warm fireplaces. Outdoors, dine on our patio with an award-winning view of the Chicago skyline. Our newly renovated, glass retractable doomed patio seats year round and has heated floors and a fireplace in the winter and fountains and beautiful flowers all summer. Come enjoy a piece of Greece!!!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Athena Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Greektown ›
Athena Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
142 reviews since July 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (87)good for groups (77)neighborhood gem (52)great for lunch (29)special occasion (28)fit for foodies (27)kid-friendly (24)scenic view (17)hot spot (16)romantic (13)vibrant bar scene (12)notable wine list (10)late-night find (7)great for brunch (6)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/15/2014Food is very very good, but the noise level made it hard to hear the people at our own table. We enjoyed the food so much the first time we came in the summer, and we enjoyed the outdoor dining as well as the food. Service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent restaurant!CountrygirlDined on 11/15/2014The food is amazing, the staff is friendly and attentive and the atmosphere is great! The is an excellent restaurant. I highly recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Could be betterOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/13/2014The appetizers and vegetables were great, but the lamb, which the waiter recommended, was a little on the dry side. The waiter didn't tell us about the avgolemono soup, which I'd noticed on the board on the way in, and he didn't seem interested in talking about it. The soup itself was OK. The prices were reasonable, for Chicago, but if you're going to go out of your way to go to a restaurant, you can probably do better.
- Nice Friday eveningLSD12VIPDined on 11/7/2014Very nice end of week dinner. Nice soroundings, nice wine ,good food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great before show dinnerAlsfavDined on 11/6/2014My brother and I had dinner here before going to see Ina Garten. Food was wonderful and fresh. Our waiter was very attentive and friendly. I was at this restaurant many years ago. The new decor is fresh and modern!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chicago BEst Greek ReastaurantBrianVIPDined on 11/3/2014Athena has great service, delicious food and a beautiful restaurant. Well done.Special Features:
- Great ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/2/2014I enjoyed the atmosphere and extremely accommodating staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Family DinnerKessDined on 11/1/2014I ate here with my parents and my fiancé and future in-laws. It was delicious and a perfect atmosphere!Special Features:
- Good timesOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/29/2014Athena is a true Greek Town gem. Great food, service and fun!Special Features:
- A real treatSugarDined on 10/27/2014The indoor/outdoor open air feel provides a welcome retreat from a very busy neighborhood. Attentive service, good food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- McReviewVIPDined on 10/26/2014The employees at the Athena restaurant are wonderful, charming and accommodating and the food is delicious! We had a group of 7 most of which had not been to Greek town in Chicago! Initially, most just stared at the menu but quickly found one delicious dish after another… from the hummus to saganaki, the keftedakia - all fabulous. Our entrees were just has terrific from the kabobs to the gyros and don't forget to have the potatoes - divine. We'll be back. Great service, delicious food!Special Features:
- BettyOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/25/2014We have been to Greek Town many times but never to Athena. I found Athena to be a beautiful place to eat. The ceiling retracted and added such a beautiful breeze on this warm autumn evening. The service was prompt and friendly. The only thing with the retractable roof the flaming cheese can not be lit at the table. The food the teramusalata was delicious. I ordered the lamb. It was too well done. I wasn't given a temperature option on my lamb. The rest of my table enjoyed their dinner. My son ordered the chicken kabobs and said it was really good.Special Features:
- Great Greek Food and Atmosphere !TonyC338Dined on 10/24/2014Great restaurant in Chicago's Greektown. Located where the famous" Diana's Opaa" used to stand. Great food, and atmosphere !!! FANTASTIC SERVICE !!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Greek fun but uneven foodavipVIPDined on 10/24/2014The fresh fish and the gyros are very good but avoid the combination dishes on the menue which were too oily to enjoy.Special Features:
- Great server; lotsa noiseRitchieDined on 10/22/2014Four of us went for the first time (having been to many other Greek Town restaurants). The contemporary ambiance is nice - different from most traditional Greek restaurants. Food was excellent; we had a witty server who was lots of fun. But the noise level, even when the restaurant was not full, made conversation a challenge.Special Features:
- Food/Service OK; kitchen slowLSD12VIPDined on 10/18/2014The food and service were generally very good although wife's chicken was a little skimpy. Place was jammed and kitcjhen was obviouly falling behind.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Greek foodGaryCoVIPDined on 10/10/2014Good food and great service. Can be a bit noisy after 6:00 p.m.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Greek FoodcompcirrusDined on 10/9/2014You can't go wrong ordering the lamb chops! The octopus appetizer was also very good. A little noisy in the atrium, but the food makes up for it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, Beautiful DecorcanitrythatDined on 10/6/2014From the time you walk in, you will notice how lovely the restaurant is decorated. An amazing outdoor eating area boasts a waterfall wall, and roomy seating. We went on a chilly evening, so we requested a seat by the beautiful fireplace. From the bread placed on the table promptly upon seating, to the salads, and main dishes, everything was wonderful. The server was reserved, but prompt, and checked on us frequently to confirm we didn't need anything. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone entertaining business associates, family from out of town, or just going out for the night to have a wonderful meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently OutstandingGourmetchicVIPDined on 9/27/2014Best place for Greek dining in the city. Always great! They updated their outdoor dining space and it's very attractive. Food is delicious and plentiful, friendly service, the BEST of everything. While the lamb dishes are their post popular dishes, don't miss the shrimp with garlic or the pork. Valet parking, this place has it all. What are you waiting for??Special Features:
- Old standbybam1Dined on 9/27/2014The enclosed patio makes this place one of the better dining joints for outdoor seating in all weather. Solid food and decent service if a bit unfriendly at times.Special Features:
- Great night to be outdoorLSD12VIPDined on 9/26/2014Lovely night, good food. Service a little slower than usual.Special Features:
- Athenaswanqe2Dined on 9/20/2014I love this restaurant and have been going there for years. They have an indoor patio which makes it feel as though you are outside. The noise level in that part of the restaurant was rather high, so if you want to have a romantic evening, or talk with another couple, ask for a table "inside." The bar is nice, the food is good. The pace at which our server brought the courses out was perfect.Special Features:
- Great ambiance, ok food bad serviceNik27Dined on 9/19/2014Greet outdoor seating, next to water fountain. Food was okay, a little bland. Service was poor, took too long and too slow.Special Features:
- Lunch at AthenaLunchladyDined on 9/17/2014The patio is a great spot any time of day, food consistently good. Server could have been a bit more attentive to our drinks.Special Features:
- Great AtmosphereJohnsonVIPDined on 9/15/2014The food is seasoned a bit more delicately here than at other Greek Town restaurants but we enjoyed it very much. Great lunch menu and the service was very good!I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Best in GreekTownFishVIPDined on 9/15/2014I had a great business lunch and my guest was very impressed with the food and atmosphere.Special Features:
- Chicago's Great GreekBGDM7450Dined on 9/13/2014I grew up with Greek food and having moved from my home community, I crave the food I just adored. Athena was selected by my Chicago son--he'd heard it was good. It is! We had the combination plate that had a taste of almost everything and every dish was delicious. There are numerous choices for Greek food in this area of Chicago but, if Greek food is your thing, you can't do better than Athena! I can't wait to get back.Special Features:
- Fun but not good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/13/2014I loved the atmosphere and fun, vibrant vibe of this place. And the outside (too cold to eat out there when we went) looked really pretty. Unfortunately, the food was very, very expensive and just not that good. The lamb entrees they recommended were pricey and not very good. My combo platter, which you would hope it the best representation of lots of their most classic items, unfortunately was not good. The lamb on this platter was fatty and chewy. Love Greek Town for run but I have yet to go there and think the food was as fun as the atmosphere.Special Features:
- Indoor/outdoorClaireVIPDined on 9/12/2014Loved sitting in the covered patio. Food and service were worth high ratings. Great place to have a Friday dinner after work.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SEZmanDined on 9/6/2014We enjoyed our dinner at Athena, in particular the outdoor seating and the fact that we were not rushed. The food was good and the appetizer and two combo plates that we ordered for 3 of us were more than sufficient. We would definitely go back.Special Features:
- Great experience!GreektowngoodfindDined on 8/30/2014Free valet which relieved stress of trying to find a parking spot and we got in right awY even though they were really busy and we were late coming with our reservations . Very scenic and beautiful outdoor patio and delicious food! Price reasonable. Would go back again and recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Night out(side)JemangeDined on 8/29/2014The atmosphere at Athena's large outdoor terrace is very convivial. This sets the tone for enjoying the food. Recently, I strayed from my favorite, Mediterranean sea bass. I ordered the seafood kabob, specifying no starches alongside. and enjoyed tzatsiki sauce and pita instead. The seafood kabob was tasty and fresh--rather perfectly cooked somehow. The Greek food experience is one of our favorites and so enjoying appetizers and Greek wines among the four of us was great. One of my favorite appetizers: the eggplant slices.Special Features:
- Athena aspires to be greatOTAthena01Dined on 8/25/2014I took my wife to Athena on Monday evening for her birthday. I did not know what to expect since I have never been there before; however, I was very pleased at the semi-casual ambience, outdoor seating, great meal & excellent service. The saganaki was an absolutely delicious appetizer and the lamb that my wife and I had was also fantastic. The meat was well-prepared, yet so juicy, it is easy to understand why many people are a big fan of this establishment. Overall, I was very happy with our experience and look forward to returning very soon.Special Features:
- Grandson enjoyedLSD12VIPDined on 8/22/2014Had a nice meal in the garden. 9 year old grandson enjoyed the calamari . Waiter was great!Special Features:
- Love Athena, but this visit just oklejoieVIPDined on 8/20/2014Saganaki dry / rubbery usually good octopus seemed over cooked too - weird.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best outdoor spotKozEatsDined on 8/15/2014The huge outdoor seating is the best..... can't go wrong with the lamb chops.....Some of the best in the city...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Did not honor reservationJandJVIPDined on 8/9/2014My family and I have dined at Athena several times. In the past, we had great experiences so My husband and I decided to bring our out of town guests to Athena for dinner in order to enjoy Greek food while taking advantage of Athena's great outdoor space. We arrived at 710 for our 715 reservation and we're told that we would be seated shortly. Yet, we still were not seated by 745. We checked in with the hostess who kept of assuring us that she would seat us shortly. At 8 we still were not seated (45 minutes after our reservation) and we're told it would still be additional time, so we left the restaurant and went to Parthenon and had a delicious meal. Thus, if you expect your reservation to be honored do not go to Athena.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/8/2014Great food, especially liked the char broiled octopus appetizer and the creamy texture of the feta cheese! Attentive waiter. Lovely large outdoor patio. Huge menu. Lots of vegetarian choices for my daughter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The patio makes it specialdadwritesVIPDined on 8/5/2014Athena is one of many Greek restaurants in, well, Greektown, and it is not in my top three from a culinary standpoint. But a dining experience is not solely about the food and, in the summer months, the outdoor space at Athena makes it worth the trip. Set back from the street with a brick waterfall, dining on the patio is a very enjoyable opportunity for people watching and for savoring a Chicago summer. Our dolmades and gyros were on the bland side, as was the taramosalata. Food quality did not seem to be poor, but the dishes are missing much of the seasoning that gives Greek food a special zest. I'd like to like this place more, so I am hoping they will pump up the flavors.Special Features: