212 S Halsted St
Chicago, IL 60661Neighborhood:
GreekPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.athenarestaurantchicago.com/
- Phone: 3126550000
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 4:00pm
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Greek
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Fireplace, Full Bar, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Athena Restaurant
Serving delicious Greek cuisine in a classic old world setting. Indoors, enjoy our fine Greek architecture and art, with comfortable seating and warm fireplaces. Outdoors, dine on our patio with an award-winning view of the Chicago skyline. Our newly renovated, glass retractable doomed patio seats year round and has heated floors and a fireplace in the winter and fountains and beautiful flowers all summer. Come enjoy a piece of Greece!!!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Athena Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Greektown ›
Athena Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
178 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (140)good for groups (102)neighborhood gem (62)great for lunch (58)special occasion (51)kid-friendly (41)romantic (40)fit for foodies (38)scenic view (23)hot spot (22)great for brunch (21)vibrant bar scene (14)late-night find (14)notable wine list (13)Show More
- Great experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014Free valet which relieved stress of trying to find a parking spot and we got in right awY even though they were really busy and we were late coming with our reservations . Very scenic and beautiful outdoor patio and delicious food! Price reasonable. Would go back again and recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Night out(side)JemangeDined on 8/29/2014The atmosphere at Athena's large outdoor terrace is very convivial. This sets the tone for enjoying the food. Recently, I strayed from my favorite, Mediterranean sea bass. I ordered the seafood kabob, specifying no starches alongside. and enjoyed tzatsiki sauce and pita instead. The seafood kabob was tasty and fresh--rather perfectly cooked somehow. The Greek food experience is one of our favorites and so enjoying appetizers and Greek wines among the four of us was great. One of my favorite appetizers: the eggplant slices.Special Features:
- Athena aspires to be greatOTAthena01Dined on 8/25/2014I took my wife to Athena on Monday evening for her birthday. I did not know what to expect since I have never been there before; however, I was very pleased at the semi-casual ambience, outdoor seating, great meal & excellent service. The saganaki was an absolutely delicious appetizer and the lamb that my wife and I had was also fantastic. The meat was well-prepared, yet so juicy, it is easy to understand why many people are a big fan of this establishment. Overall, I was very happy with our experience and look forward to returning very soon.Special Features:
- Grandson enjoyedLSD12VIPDined on 8/22/2014Had a nice meal in the garden. 9 year old grandson enjoyed the calamari . Waiter was great!Special Features:
- Love Athena, but this visit just oklejoieDined on 8/20/2014Saganaki dry / rubbery usually good octopus seemed over cooked too - weird.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best outdoor spotKozEatsDined on 8/15/2014The huge outdoor seating is the best..... can't go wrong with the lamb chops.....Some of the best in the city...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Did not honor reservationJandJVIPDined on 8/9/2014My family and I have dined at Athena several times. In the past, we had great experiences so My husband and I decided to bring our out of town guests to Athena for dinner in order to enjoy Greek food while taking advantage of Athena's great outdoor space. We arrived at 710 for our 715 reservation and we're told that we would be seated shortly. Yet, we still were not seated by 745. We checked in with the hostess who kept of assuring us that she would seat us shortly. At 8 we still were not seated (45 minutes after our reservation) and we're told it would still be additional time, so we left the restaurant and went to Parthenon and had a delicious meal. Thus, if you expect your reservation to be honored do not go to Athena.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/8/2014Great food, especially liked the char broiled octopus appetizer and the creamy texture of the feta cheese! Attentive waiter. Lovely large outdoor patio. Huge menu. Lots of vegetarian choices for my daughter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The patio makes it specialdadwritesVIPDined on 8/5/2014Athena is one of many Greek restaurants in, well, Greektown, and it is not in my top three from a culinary standpoint. But a dining experience is not solely about the food and, in the summer months, the outdoor space at Athena makes it worth the trip. Set back from the street with a brick waterfall, dining on the patio is a very enjoyable opportunity for people watching and for savoring a Chicago summer. Our dolmades and gyros were on the bland side, as was the taramosalata. Food quality did not seem to be poor, but the dishes are missing much of the seasoning that gives Greek food a special zest. I'd like to like this place more, so I am hoping they will pump up the flavors.Special Features:
- Super Exoerience!operagoerDined on 8/5/2014I just love coming here for the excellent food and service. It's a fun place and has free valet parking!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nothing really specialFoodie356Dined on 8/1/2014I have had better Greek food at other places. Everything was underseasoned
- Athena in the heart of ChicagoDeboDined on 8/1/2014Greektown is my favorite birthday destination and Athena does not disappoint. The saganaki was delicious as always!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome atrium..food great too!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/29/2014Awesome atrium and great food. The Athenian chicken is worth the trip alone.
- urban oasisSuzyQDined on 7/27/2014An evening at Athena is a treat. The best, most relaxing outdoor space in the city. The food is fresh, delicious and well-prepared. This is a place with professional waiters who take their work seriously, not teenagers who would rather be anywhere else. Very reasonable prices and generous servings. Plus they have free valet parking!Special Features:
- HorribleHorribleDined on 7/27/2014Food was bland and waiter was unattentive and rude. Waiter didn't offer any recommendations and could care less about customer service.Special Features:
- AuntiemameDined on 7/27/2014This was our second visit to Athena. We were a group of 6 and reserved a table outside. The weather was beautiful, the service was great and the food was excellent! We definitely will be Back.Special Features:
- KimberKimberDined on 7/25/2014Had a wonderful time! Even though there was a mix up on our reservation time, the manager took us immediately to a table and was very gracious. This is our fourth time visiting this restaurant this year, even though we live in the Indianapolis area. Great food, great atmosphere, beautiful ambiance. While there is music playing and the hustle and bustle of diners enjoying their meal, we could talk comfortably at our table. There is no outside seating however, once they pull open their huge sliding glass windows, it is as if we were seated outside. Once the even air became cool, they adjusted them kindly. While I was with adults, there were several families happily enjoying their meal. Remains our favorite Greek Restaurant in Chicago!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great night for outdoorLSD12VIPDined on 7/25/2014Great night to be outside. Food and service to matchSpecial Features:
- serviceluvthefoodDined on 7/24/2014Food was wonderful. Attention to our table was a little slow. We were entertaining a physician for recruitment and wanted the best. It was all good food, but lack of attention.Special Features:
- ChicagoFoodieChicagofoodieDined on 7/23/2014We sat out on the new and beautiful patio. It was designed perfectly. The food came out in perfect timing and the service was great as usual.Special Features:
- DRNOVIPDined on 7/20/2014As always the service and food were outstanding. Wonderful outdoor dining that has been designed to maximize the dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent dining experience.BiggestfoodieeverDined on 7/18/2014I always eat in Greek town during my visits to Chicago and have. Ever been disappointed. Athena is by far the most enjoyable and tasteful (in all aspects) of the restaurants on Halstead street. This is a MUST stop.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DELICIOUSOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/18/2014We went with five friends and had a wonderful meal. We ordered the family style and everything was delicious. Delivered in a very timely manner, and just an amazing experience. I was so full afterwards but it was 100% worth it. The flaming cheese was a standout, but there was not one thing I did not enjoy.Special Features:
- ang123ang123Dined on 7/18/2014The outdoor patio is beautiful and it's the perfect venue for a larger group as the restaurant is very accommodating to groups. While we have had better service in the past at Athena, Friday night it was a bit slow to get a drink and appetizers to the table. Would still recommend and will try again soon. Our dinners were delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AuthenticLSfoodieDined on 7/18/2014I brought some out of town friends to Athena for lunch one of whom's folks are from Greece/Lebanon. He loved the food and said it was the most authentic he'd had in years (they live in Texas, so that may be why). He also shared wonderful stories of his mother's cooking and told us about the similarities/differences between Greek and Lebanese cuisine. We had a wonderful afternoon on the patio and my friends are anxious to come back when the are in Chicago again.Special Features:
- Greek townJannieVIPDined on 7/14/2014Salads good, leg of lamb tough but huge portions, saganaki like rubber but again huge portion..lamb chops again huge but mot as good as all the chops we have had."great out door space but food not as good as many of their competition in the neighborhoodSpecial Features:
- ExcellentSafisDined on 7/12/2014Starting with the host, the food, the quick service, all excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A touch of Tuscany...BonitaDined on 7/10/2014The choices are excellent for any palate; the food is great, and the ambience wonderful. You will love this place.Special Features:
- Easy. Parking. Pleasant.MomSaysVIPDined on 7/6/2014The typical Greek specialties are fine. Lamb chops are better than the roast lamb dish (dries out quickly). Appetizers are my favorite but the whole sea bass is good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Greek Place in TownZanyZDined on 7/3/2014The outdoor patio at this place is second to none. Wonderful food and extensive wine list. Best Greek food in town!!Special Features:
- Great summer dining!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/3/2014We have not been here for many years. We were very pleased to see the improvements. And the food is still very good!Special Features:
- Nice outdoor patio with city viewsSMAgolferVIPDined on 7/1/2014This is a great place to dine al fresco with views of downtown Chicago. The food is reliable, although not gourmet. More like Greek comfort food. Service is friendly and efficient.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/29/2014I live in the South West Suburbs and travel down to Old St. Pat's for mass and then drive over to Athenea's for Lamb on the bone with artichokes and lemon sauce. Delicious. Can't wait to take the trip down again.Special Features:
- Great!afdsDined on 6/28/2014I've been to Athena twice in the last two weeks--once with adults and once with little kids--and both times the service was excellent, the food very tasty, and the overall experience a lot of fun.Special Features:
- Loved everything!dku930Dined on 6/26/2014Food was fantastic -tried all of my favorites and a few new items, all excellent. Very good service and ambiance. Chose to sit inside but the outdoor area looked like the place to be.I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the Best Patiosluzid1Dined on 6/26/2014Athena is a wonderful place year round but especially in the summer with it's open patio. My friend who is Greek recommended this restaurant and we have never been disappointed. I especially love the chicken riganati. The only issue we have is that we always get the same waiter (cannot recall his name) and he always disappears for awhile but he's good in the beginning and at the end and the bus boys are very helpful when we can't find him.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A wonderful dining experience!MerelevenDined on 6/25/2014I have been to Athena several times in the past eight years that I have lived in Chicago and there have been ups and downs in my experiences, but my most recent visit was definitely an up! Our group of six sat in the covered outdoor area, which is lovely, though it's too bad that there is no longer an unobstructed view of downtown. The service was excellent. Our appetizers and dinners were perfectly timed and our server was attentive and personable. We all enjoyed our generous portions of food and had plenty to take home. I look forward to going back to Athena!Special Features:
- Can't wait to come backMedmom2002Dined on 6/25/2014Loved the outdoor setting and lunch menu options and pricing. Great baklava! Can't wait to come back, this time with familySpecial Features:
- Loved the outdoor dining areakpycsyDined on 6/23/2014The food was very good. We had pork chops and the seafood kabobs. They were slightly overcooked, however. Calamari were excellent and so was the village salad. Service was excellent. They didn't rush us at all. We got there early and sat by the window outdoors. It was beautiful out there!!! That's the best part - the outdoor dining. The roof closes in case of rain.Special Features:
- Loved it!Rty55Dined on 6/21/2014The food was great and the waiter gave great recommendations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.