7000 E.Mayo Blvd #26
Phoenix, AZ 85054Neighborhood:
GreekPrice: $30 and under
Athena Greek Cuisine
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.athenagreekcuisine.com/
- Phone: 4805024466
- Hours of Operation:
Daily: 11:00am - 11:00pm 7 days a week
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Greek
- Executive Chef: Charles Bowman
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Dancing, Delivery, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We will be providing full service off-site catering.
- Entertainment: During Special Events
- Special Events: Athena Greek Cuisine invites you to join us to celebrate our one year anniversary August 12th, 13th, and 14th. Featuring authentic greek cuisine, vintage wines, and other specials and festivities! Free appetizers will be sampled and a portion of the proceeds from the event will be donated to charity. Join us!
A reunion – literally, drinking together - was an aristocratic banquet at which thinkers and artists met to discuss philosophical and political issues and to recite poetry. A convivial meeting for eating, drinking, music, and intellectual discussion among ancient Greeks. Looking for some great traditional Greek dining? Then succumb to Athena’s warm, white embrace that's embellished with a bounty of consistently delectable authentic Greek dishes, fresh fish and seafood seared to perfection on the open grill. Greek dining that you won't want to miss. Meals are an experience so be prepared to indulge – and feast. And, be sure to save room for one of our enticing desserts and coffee before you leave. A true restaurant for all seasons, Athena Greek Cuisine features a lively full bar, an impressive dining room that blends both, the contemporary and the traditional.
- Very good Greek cuisine.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/17/2012Very good Greek cuisine. And a very classy atmosphere. Everything we had, from the saganki to the greek coffee was outstanding. The staff is friendly and efficient. A great find!Special Features:
- entrees were delicious. DrinksOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/17/2012entrees were delicious. Drinks were outstanding. Service was best of all - caring, considerate, knowledgeable server: NickSpecial Features:
- Our server was fanatstic -MARYJODined on 8/10/2012Our server was fanatstic - fast and knowledegable about the menu - and they were able to accomodate my friend's special requestSpecial Features:
- Very friendly reception.JoelVIPDined on 7/11/2012Very friendly reception. Waiter was very helpful and informative.Special Features:
- Great restaurant!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/9/2012Athena Greek Cuisine is a great spot to take someone for a special night out on the town. The food is wonderful (love the spanikopita and tzatziki), the ambiance is lovely, and the servers friendly and helpful. I only wish it was closer to my home so I could go more often!Special Features:
- The best!!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/30/2012What a fabulous dining experience. Five of us (including an 11-month old) came in for an early dinner. The food was freshly prepared, and delicious! The owner and manager came by to chat a couple of time. The wait staff was friendly and helpful. As we were leaving a band began playing Greek music. We will definitely be back very soon to experience the late evening entertainment. This is our new favorite Greek restaurant!Special Features:
- Very Authentic Greek Cookingout4funVIPDined on 6/27/2012This was our first visit to Athena Greek Cuisine. We thoroughly enjoyed dining here. We found the food to be well-prepared and authentic. The mousaka reminded me of the way my yia yia prepared it. The service was friendly and attentive.Special Features:
- The entire staff were attentive,OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/18/2012The entire staff were attentive, polite and on point all evening!!! Amazing food! The staff even surprised our table with free dessert! Definitely recommend!!!! Special kudos to Cris at the bar and Demetri our server!!!Special Features:
- The whole experience was veryTerrysart2VIPDined on 6/7/2012The whole experience was very good. I was there early, but the service was Greta and the food was the best Greek food I have had this side of Greece.Special Features:
- Athena for Meetings!!OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 6/7/2012We had a wonderful meeting event there. The serving staff was very attentive. They also provided us an area in a private area so we could do our speaking presentations.Special Features:
- We could not have been moreOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/1/2012We could not have been more amazed for a first time dining experience. We were welcomed like friends. Our handicapped friend was welcomed and they did all they could to help him feel at home and enjoy his experience. He was thrilled that they had Greek wine on the menu and enjoyed one of his favorites. It was well worth the drive across the city and we enjoyed it all from appetizer to dessert and even took some home.Special Features:
- Great Greek flair!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/30/2012Very welcoming and fun atmosphere. Will be returning for their live music and belly dancing over the weekend. Chris, our server, was outstanding! She was personable, sociable and provided great service. My family and I had a great time and the food was great. I will definitely return and tell others.Special Features:
- Great GreekOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/30/2012We went here on a recommendation from friends, for my wife's birthday. Athena DID NOT disappoint. Our server, Dan, was wonderful and attentive and the food was excellent. What a great find.Special Features:
- Good Greek food is difficultOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/26/2012Good Greek food is difficult to do & we are very particular because my husband is Greek. His Mother is a tough act to follow. Having said that, we had hoped for better. This was a very nice dinner & our friends who have not ever been to Greece were pleased. The Greek salads are so fabulous in Greece. They contain no lettuce there but in the US, restaurants always try to stretch them by adding greens. Too bad!Special Features:
- Shrinking Portions - High PricesDogulaVIPDined on 5/26/2012We've been coming here since it opened just because it is the closest Greek restaurant to us. Don't get me wrong, the food is very good, but it seems now that the portion sizes are getting smaller. Not that we need heaping plates of food, but the prices here are high for what you get. The saganaki is $10 and then they charge you extra for pita bread. My wife ordered 2 appetizers for her meal, Octopus $14 & Spanakopita $9. The Octopus was very sparse and the spanakopita consisted of 3 small, almost bite size pieces. The place was almost empty, and this was a Saturday night. My prediction: This place will close within the next year. If you want good Greek food and great prices, go to Greektown on N 7th st. That's where we will go from now on.
- Good Greek n N. Scottadale.OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/25/2012I really enjoyed the grilled seafood appetizer (octopus, shrimp & scallops). Too bad this isn't available as an entree-sized item as well. Good selection of Greek wines. Next time, however, I'll go earlier to avoid the music and dancing. I prefer to concentrate on my food.Special Features:
- we ordered about 7:00 thursOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/17/2012we ordered about 7:00 thurs & were that they no longer had roast leg of lamb}!THERE WERE 6 OF US. HOW CAN A GREEK RESTAURANT BE OUT OF LAMB AT 7:00 (THEY HAD 2 ENTREES WITH LEG OF LAMB VERY DISAPPOINTING
- Athena Greek Cuisine doesOldnick4funDined on 5/16/2012Athena Greek Cuisine does an excellent job with standard Greek cuisine, plus a few additions that may appeal to American palates, while maintaining the flavors of Greece. We dined there on a Wednesday night and found it very quiet... which was exactly what we wanted. The atmosphere is more fine dining style than tavern style. The patio provides an nice choice for outdoor dining. My Greek-style pork chops reminded me of dining in Greece, while my wife's gyro pita was perfect for lighter dining. Athena Greek Cuisine can serve as either a special occasion place or a standard place for family dining for families who prefer Greek cuisine. This was our first visit, but we will be back... often.Special Features:
- Great Restaurant Gone Bad!kbz1520Dined on 5/13/2012I have been to this restaurant several times and the food has gone down in quality. I read the reviews after I made a reservation and should have read them before. Also, their website ad said there would be a regular menu for Mother' Days with some specials added. There was not a regular menu but "a special Mother's Day" menu with no specials. Also, when you spend extra for the pita with your appetizer its pretty tacky. The buser could hardly wait to clear the table (which would be understandable if the restaurant was crowded, it was empty). The only nice thing about the dinner was the waiter who was not Greek but from Minn!
- We were not impressed. SaganakiOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/13/2012We were not impressed. Saganaki was small. The fried smelts were mushy. Main dishes were so so. Had to keep asking for water and waiter service poor. Based on the referrals to Athena Greek, we were disappointed. The only redeeming thing about this restaurant was seeing George the old owner of Bacchannal of Phoeinx.
- I really enjoyed my meal atOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/12/2012I really enjoyed my meal at Athena Greek Cuisine - the service was spectacular, and the food fabulous! I really enjoyed the lamb chops and the saganaki was yummy too!! OPA!!!Special Features:
- lamb was over cooked (notOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/10/2012lamb was over cooked (not a trace of pink) and tough rest of food was very good we are going back in two weeks!
- Food was high point of theExCasaMiaLoverDined on 5/4/2012Food was high point of the visit. Lamb was excellent.Special Features:
- The food was delectable andOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 5/1/2012The food was delectable and the service exceptional!Special Features:
- The restaurant itself is beautifullOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/29/2012The restaurant itself is beautifully decorated and it has an extensive Greek menu with a number of dishes you often don't find at other Greek restaurants. The saganaki here is delicious and doesn't have the bitter taste that some saganaki has elsewhere. The quality of the dishes and size of the portions rival some of the fine Greek restaurants in Los Angeles I've been to recently but at half the price. This is the only Greek restaurant in Phoenix that is open on Sundays.Special Features:
- Good Food - Pita costs extraDogulaVIPDined on 4/8/2012The food is very good here and so is the service. My only complaint is that they charge you 50 cents for pita. It's not the price, I just don't think that they should be charging for something that should be included with all Greek food. It's like paying extra for ketchup or mustard for a burger. This is the only Greek restaurant that I have ever had to pay extra for Pita bread. They give you French bread for free (not very good either) why not just change it to Pita.The price of the flaming cheese is $10, not exactly cheap, so I think they can include Pita with it.
- The lamb shank special wasOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/8/2012The lamb shank special was great! Really enjoyed the green bean dish with a tomato salsa!
- Drinks were expensive andOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 4/4/2012Drinks were expensive and not a good pour .Dinner was also not a good portion for the money .
- A very good Greek restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 4/3/2012Very good dinner. Had 2 of the classic Greek dishes and both were very good. The place was not very busy and I wondered why as most places we had eaten in the Scottsdale area on this trip were quite busy. However, service and food deserve more people trying Athena. A little difficult to find as directions say corner of Scottsdale Road and Mayo. It is really well off Scottsdale at the other end of the shopping complex. You may see Outback easier and it is near that point. A definite return on another trip.Special Features:
- I love the atmosphere andOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/18/2012I love the atmosphere and menu. This is a great location for large groups for dining for two. Very flexible and accomodating staff.Special Features:
- Appetizers and desserts wereOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 3/10/2012Appetizers and desserts were very good but our dinner entrees were only fair. Moussaka had too much cinnamon and the green beans looked like they had been cooked to death. Shrimp dish was "swimming" in tomato sauce. Go for cocktails, appetizer and dessert and you will have a good experience.
- celebrated a birthday, definitelySUSANDined on 3/3/2012celebrated a birthday, definitely a great place for large groups,best greek food in townSpecial Features:
- The staff was very attentiveMoCookeeDined on 2/22/2012The staff was very attentive and new the menu and wine list. Appreciated them recognizing my birthday without a big fuss. Myself and family would definitely dine here again.Special Features:
- ALWAYS A TREAT TO DINE ATrustyVIPDined on 2/20/2012ALWAYS A TREAT TO DINE AT ATHENA. WONDERFUL SAGANAKI!!Special Features:
- First timeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/16/2012Will be coming back next week or so with my out of state friends. Really enjoyed the food and the friendliness of the servers.Special Features:
- Great customer services!!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/15/2012Very nice place, Excellent customer services, I will go back for just customer services!Special Features:
- We enjoyed it all! ThereOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/14/2012We enjoyed it all! There wasn't a huge crowd, so the hustle and bustle was missing, which was good! The food was delicious. We will return.Special Features:
- Love the decor, and they hadOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/4/2012Love the decor, and they had a belly dancing. Food was great, and DO NOT forget the dessert. All of them were delicious.Special Features:
- Everyone in my group of sevenSkPblewDined on 1/31/2012Everyone in my group of seven ladies had a good time. Food was good. The exception was the gyros meat in my salad which was a little overdone and dry. The salad was very large and tasty, though. The menu choices are quite varied, so everyone can find something to like. I would go back again. Would love to try the happy hour.Special Features:
- Great Food - Friendly Staff!DogulaVIPDined on 1/27/2012Love the food here and especially the staff. Always very friendly and accommodating. Please include pita bread with the Saginaki, this shouldn't be an extra cost item.