540 Rochester Street
Ottawa, ON K1S 4M1Neighborhood:
Ottawa / Gatineau
Contemporary AmericanPrice: CAN$51 and over
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.atelierrestaurant.ca/
- Phone: 6133213537
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm,
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Marc Lepine
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Gluten-free Menu, Wine
A word from Atelier
Atelier is a tasting menu restaurant in Ottawa serving 'New Canadian' food based on hypermodern culinary technique and technology.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Atelier - Best Restaurants in Ottawa / Gatineau ›
Atelier reviews from OpenTable diners
89 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (80)fit for foodies (75)notable wine list (50)romantic (45)neighborhood gem (13)good for groups (6)hot spot (5)late-night find (2)great for brunch (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Amazing.SkitzyMcFritoesDined on 8/29/2014I took my fiancé to Atelier for our anniversary and told him nothing about it in advance. He was completely blown away by the food, wine and service. While the price is well above what I would normally consider spending on dining out, the experience was priceless. He's still raving about it. The food looks and tastes incredible, and the wine pairings are spot-on. The staff is knowledgeable, friendly, and very professional. The service is five-star, fast and precise. It feels very high-class without ever for a second feeling pretentious. In Ottawa, nothing even comes close to comparison to Atelier. If you want to create an unforgettable evening and have an amazing all around dining experience, Atelier is the place for you.Special Features:
- one of the best in the cityOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/29/2014Hole in the wall, with great food! Wine pairings were perfect. Great for special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous Food and. WineRobertDined on 8/27/2014We had a superb experience. The food presentation and service was exceptional. Terrific sommelier. Overall, a great evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food and serviceBaniDined on 8/26/2014The food was excellent and I could notice some of the techniques that I had seen on Spinning Plates being applied to the plates (liquid nitrogen, spherification, etc). Texture and flavour made a great combination in most plates. Out of the 10 savoury courses, the meat and the lobster were the only ones that I didn't care much about. The other 8 were truly amazing. The fruit and the dessert were good, but I had higher expectations. The presentation of the plates was always spectacular. Even though the plates were very elaborate, the waitress explained them in a very casual manner that felt like a conversation between friends. This attempt to make this high end cuisine approachable was also seen in the creative names of the plates.Special Features:
- AmazingjzhaoDined on 8/20/2014This is my second time eating at Atelier and the experience just keeps getting better and better. Even though it is pricey, it is more than worth the value. I am definitely going back!Special Features:
- Ottawa's Restaurant to ImpresscapsquyowDined on 8/19/2014This restaurant is for people who savor their food. My wife and I returned to Atelier to celebrate our new business and to have an enjoyable, leisurely dining experience. And we did, in spades. The food--12 courses of amazingly intricate, delectable nibbles--was like eating artwork that exploded flavour on the tongue. We asked ahead for vegetarian options, and they handled this expertly even asking if we ate gelatin (which I do not). Each dish is perfectly sized to prevent three hour dining from becoming a gluttonous chore. And the wine pairings were interesting and exquisite. It seems ludicrous to consider one of the priciest establishments in the city a deal, but it's really an excellent value for the gourmet experience you receive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very nicetiguyDined on 8/16/2014Very expensive but very special...will come back..... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a treat!AnonymousDined on 8/16/2014A 12 course tasting menu that will delight your senses! Every course was dramatically different, yet they were all bright and beautiful. They were crafted with great skill and a certain whimsy. We had a blast! Thanks!Special Features:
- xTreme Food xPerienceDiscerningDinerDined on 8/15/2014Who would have thought that the mere taste of food could have goose bumps rippling over flesh, bring tears to my eyes and shivers down my spine? Moaning optional. Every course was an explosion of textures in my mouth, a brilliant mélange of complementary and contrasting flavors that hint at the culinary genius behind the creator of such dishes. The ingredients were fresh, the portions just right and the presentation an inspired visual delight as well as fun. The wine pairing was a careful and thoughtful match of interesting beverages. Staff is knowledgeable, attentive without being obtrusive. Clearly, the attention to detail and the thought that has gone into this uniquely divine dining experience, makes the diner feel cherished.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best restaurant in CanadaGEDSDined on 8/13/2014I've been to a 3-star Michelin restaurant in Paris, and the food at Atelier was comparable in presentation, style, taste, and creativity. Amazing food creations and super service from very knowledgable wait staff. I'm amazed this isn't in Toronto! Ottawa has a definite edge here in terms of molecular gastronomy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/8/2014One of the best, and most memorable dinners ever! Each dish was perfectly plated, balanced and presented. Truly a special experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another FABULOUS dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/2/2014I live in NB and vist Ottawa once or twice a year. This is my fifth dinner at Atelier. I don't know how it is accomplished, but every visit manages to exceed my expectations! Out of this world food, amazing service, lovely ambiance ... worth the extravagance!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PhenomenalFoodblissDined on 8/2/2014A must at least once in your life! What an amazing experience. We plan on going back for every special event and when the menu changes.Special Features:
- Extraordinary experience...FiveforGoodFoodDined on 8/1/2014The twelve course menu was superbly prepared with extraordinary attention paid to visual presentation. The real treat was the exquisite tastes that were masterfully combined with each service accompanied by thoughtful wine pairings. The hostess and Sommelier were most hospitable, professional and well informed. Our party of five enjoyed the experience - like none other in the city.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spectaculargr8foodVIPDined on 7/24/2014We had an utterly delightful and delicious and intimate dinner at Atelier. It was quiet, the service was personal, friendly, respectful. The food was so creative, just the right level of eclectic -- adventurous but not scary! And the food was BEAUTIFUL on the plate -- whimsical and innovative to align with whatever the dish was named. Wow. We would make the (long) trip back to Ottawa just for Atelier.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/24/2014Great restaurant!!! An experience like no other.Special Features:
- one of a kindcookwithloveDined on 7/16/2014The experience at Atelier is like no other I have experienced in Ottawa. 12 course tasting menu with menu presented at the end of the meal as a token of the experience. Seasonal, creative, enticing to the senses and beautiful presented. Each course proved that the kitchen team truly understands each cooking technique and is mastering them beautifully. The detail of each dish from our servers throughout our dinner was playful, exciting and the perfect addition to our experience! My boyfriend and I had a very lovely evening but the experience would be fun to share in a group as well!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious tidbitsPolicywonketteDined on 7/16/2014This was my fifth time going to atelier and the food was exceedingly delicious, beautifully presented, and fun to eat. The service was outstanding as per normal at atelier, with an exceedingly knowledgable staff and sommelier. This was the first time however that I left the 12 course meal hungry! Atelier has shrunk their portion size significantly, and I was upset at the small quantities of food that was served. I actually ate a full burger immediately after leaving the restaurant, something I would I have been physically incapable of on previous visits. I would highly recommend this restaurant to my friends, but I would like to see them serve bigger portions againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Second time and just gets betterRoosremillardDined on 7/12/2014Always changing tasting menu - always fantastic. A dining experience not to be missed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NicoleDined on 7/10/2014Excellent Presentation was out of this world. Perfect for a special occasion. Highly recommendedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DADADined on 7/3/2014Repas gastronomique plein de saveurs , très créatif et excellente présentation. Excellente sélection de vins accompagnant chaque services.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beyond high expectationsRee101Dined on 6/28/2014For an expensive meal I had high expectations but Atelier exceeded even those. Not only did they accommodate my request for my boyfriend's favourite food on his birthday (oysters) the Chef and servers so delightfully obliged (no temperamental chef anxiety here!) The wine list was excellent, the fleet truly suited each meal. Do not even get me started on the food. Each of the 12 courses the visual was an edible artwork. At first I thought it wouldn't be enough food but the size made us truly appreciate the flavour. I was most surprised by how delicious peas can be. May I suggest you don't eat things standalone - though that's delicious - the flavours are meant to be melded. I can't wait to return. I also can't stress how grateful we are.Special Features:
- Great but room for improvementOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/26/2014Fantastic meal. 1) lighting was poor. I was sitting facing the kitchen near the downstairs door. There was very lighting to appreciate the beauty of the meal. Of note, I young and don't wear specs... 2) The air condition vent was right under the table to by the end of the meal my right leg was frost-bitten... ok, exaggeration but it did get chilly... I was wearing pants. other than that? FantasticSpecial Features:
- As expectedLeGouteurDined on 6/21/2014After reading the reviews (and looking at the price) I was expecting a fantastic tasting adventure. We were not disappointed. If you like discovering new tastes this is an excellent place for that. C'est un coup de coeur!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 6/20/2014Food excellent. Great service. Noise level was intolerable due to a group of 8 inconsiderate diners who had no respect for the dining environment. Totally obnoxious. Otherwise it was a memorable experience indeed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- quite the eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/19/2014This was my second time at Atelier. I brought 3 colleagues. The food was, like last time, imaginative, playful, and delicious. My most memorable meal within the last year. The service was terrific. The wine pairing was well worth the extra $.Special Features:
- A fine dining experiencegemini06Dined on 6/18/2014A wonderful venue to celebrate a very special occasion. The set menu along with the wine pairing is an experience which you will not forget. Each service was well describe with at least 8 different foods and flavours; many of the foods selected were in season. Although we are both red wine drinkers, we decided to do the wine pairing even though with the summer venue there were more whites. Each wine with each service was well matched and provided us with new wines that we loved. Each wine was well described A 3-hour experience to celebrate our birthdays was worth the expense. Guests were nicely spaced out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Believe the hype...DrSteveODined on 6/14/2014My wife and I went to Atelier on Saturday (our second visit) and were one again treated to not only an amazing meal, but an culinary art show as well. Plates were beautifully presented with flavor to match. Do yourself a favor and spring for the optional wine tasting - some great pairings. Only issue is the size of the restaurant - tables are very close together because of the small space. Makes conversation awkward and noise level high.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Impressed!JenLuDined on 6/12/2014What a unique dining experience! Great staff and an amazingly creative Chef. We enjoyed every minute and it was worth every penny.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!mikeDined on 6/11/2014Our whole experience was great. The food was delicious and the service was very attentive. They were even able to create a menu for us that avoided seafood. I couldn't be happier with the dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingSogaDined on 6/7/2014One of my best gastronomic experiences in Canada Very very creative dishes and all delicious I also noticed the china , all different and beautiful utensils My only suggestion would be to offer a list of special cocktails besides the winesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what we expectedOpen2newfoodsDined on 6/6/2014The flavours are very nice best way to describe the 12 course meal would be 12 very small plates or tablespones ... A lot of style, art and original flavours but not much of a meal. Service was very good. We are not big eaters just expected a bit more ... We had a nice evening however not to return.Special Features:
- RecommendedgurkanDined on 6/4/2014Absurdly good. Food and service alike are both fun and very good. Why doesn't this place have (at least) a Michelin star?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sublimefabtheluckDined on 5/28/2014Best restaurant in Ottawa Well worth the money A culinary experience like no other Explosion of flavours Exquisite attention to detailsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Edible slide showluv2eatDined on 5/27/2014The evening was better than I could imagine. Amusing and refined. A beautiful edible slide show. I've been anxiously awaiting to visit ever since seeing Chef in action at GMP in Kelowna. I was going to photo every plate but my wife thought that was silly so I didn't. She regrets it now. The servers were outstanding and the pace perfect. We were only in Ottawa for an annual visit with our son. Couldn't get in last time. Made sure this time. Hope to see you in June.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of a KindMarkDined on 5/24/2014Fantastic evening, with great food. We never tasting such unique flavors! Can't wait to go back to see what else Marc comes up with! Loved the Balloon dessert!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Significant MilestoneletsdoitagainDined on 5/24/2014Heard of this place through a family member. In my past 50 years, I have enjoyed my fair share of fine cuisine, but nothing prepared my fiancé and I for the attention to detail, the friendly waiters and the overall effort to make our evening an exceptional one. It was a perfect setting for an intimate moment for me to propose to the love of my life. Lucky for me she said yes and we somehow managed to turn an exceptional culinary evening into a significant emotional event in our lives as well. Thank you to Marc Lépine and the whole team at Atelier. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 5/23/2014One of the best restaurants we have been to. Right up there with Alinea in Chicago and 1/4 of the price. Would recommend it to anyone who really loves food and the experience of fine diningSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An experience to talk aboutMusicguyDined on 5/23/2014A great blind tasting menu - 12 course marathon so better fast before for a few days. The wine pairings were also nice with some very unique wines. The service was spectacular - warm staff who knew their stuff and seemed to enjoy spending the evening with you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Food !!!KalinaDined on 5/22/2014The food at Atelier is the most creative and unusual experience I've had. It's really a journey that everyone should take. The food is stunning and it tastes divine and it's really a once in a lifetime experience. Every dish that they served had a distinct taste and the presentation of the dishes was very unique. I would recommend this place to everyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.