540 Rochester Street
Ottawa, ON K1S 4M1Neighborhood:
Ottawa / Gatineau
Contemporary AmericanPrice: CAN$51 and over
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.atelierrestaurant.ca/
- Phone: 6133213537
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm,
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Marc Lepine
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Gluten-free Menu, Wine
A word from Atelier
Atelier is a tasting menu restaurant in Ottawa serving 'New Canadian' food based on hypermodern culinary technique and technology.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Atelier - Best Restaurants in Ottawa / Gatineau ›
Atelier reviews from OpenTable diners
84 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (78)fit for foodies (71)notable wine list (44)romantic (38)neighborhood gem (11)hot spot (5)good for groups (4)late-night find (2)great for outdoor dining (2)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Best Gourmet Dinner Ever!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/28/2014We took my mother out for her 80th birthday as a treat to this wonderful restaurant for her to enjoy a total explosion of wonderful food and wine. All she could say after the meal was it was the "Best Gourmet Meal She Has Ever Had!".Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Foodie DelightOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/24/2014Food was amazing, creative and the wine pairing was perfectly matched. Only downfall of the night was the noise level - three groups of women all celebrating birthdays & other things were VERY loud. Made it difficult to have an over dinner chat with our friends and the waiter/waitress were practically yelling to be heard. Second time at Atelier and the meal was divine. Not for the meat-and-potatoe crowd.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A unique experienceOutofTownersDined on 10/21/2014Very different, very special. Not in the category of an "excellent meal" experience, but more a very individual, complex, experimental food experience featuring outstanding quality, combinations and presentation. Our experience was that it was not a meal to "relax and enjoy" but one that required one to be alert, concentrating putting in some effort, in a sense, in order to fully enjoy the experience. We wouldn't have missed it, and would plan to repeat on something like an annual basis.Special Features:
- very impressive but expensivesixtoastDined on 10/18/2014dinner for two, including tax and tip, came in at around $520, so it ain't cheap. but the food is inventive, playful, creative and artistic. Also tasty. sometimes i felt there were too many flavours and exotic ingredients competing for your taste buds, but on the whole very well executed. Best dishes were the tequila tuna, the almond soup, the korean fusion lamb, and the curried apples. only dessert was a little disappointing. it's a long dining experience with multiple small servings of fine food served over about 2.5 hrs. So a great place for a memorable "special occasion" dinner. Wine pairing selection is very eclectic, from beer to madeira to mead. In retrospect I might have better enjoyed sticking to wine by the glass.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My Dining ExperiencetimbuktuDined on 10/18/2014Simply phased - Gastronomical version of Cirque du Soleil.. fabulous anniversary treat for my wife and I. Dislikes: 1) there was that a large group of patrons that were extremely loud resulting in my inability to hear the sommelier and server, which is a huge part of the experience. 2) should be a dress code. People in their Wal-Mart attire cheapens this fine establishment.Special Features:
- Fantastic food and service1tdmDined on 10/17/2014A sensory delight: visual, aroma, and taste. A fantastic evening with great service. The wine pairing was also excellent. We went for our anniversary and we were not disappointed. Certainly, up there with the best in Ottawa. We will be back, and likely bring others with us.Special Features:
- Amazing food experienceBirthdayRegularDined on 10/16/2014Although extremely pricey, the food was very tasty, very creative, very unusual. Service was very cordial, and the server's explanations were elaborate, complex, and brief - one had to be quick to associate all the words and names to the items on the various plates, platters and bowls. Would I go back? Yes, on very special occasions to show off to guests, not likely for myself (but wouldn't object going if guests came to town).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply amazing - a must for foodiesOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/11/2014By far the most interesting, delicious, visually stunning and delectable meal I've ever had. Twelve dishes PLUS 2 intercourses to cleanse palette. Dishes are small, colourful & combine flavour & texture in a way that needs to be experienced to properly describe. I think this place is what foodies wish for when they go to heaven. Dishes are inspired from all cultures, include meat and vegetarian options. Staff was incredibly attentive - always there for you. THe food was small portioned and so tasty but we left thoroughly stunned and stuffed. Accomodated my friend's last-minute request for vegetarian only dishes expertly. THe only caution is that it is a small venue with only 2 nightly seatings - we were there for 3.5 hours!Special Features:
- foodies paradise!foodieDined on 10/7/2014Excellent food and presentation! Service was superb and staff very friendly!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/4/2014This is my second time at Atelier and it is just as memorable as the first a couple years ago. Chef Marc Lepine, and Sommelier Steve Robinson combine to make what is arguably Canada's best culinary experience. It is artistic, analytical, creative, vibrant, and delicious, and indulgent in some ways. 12 courses of gastronomic bliss with wine pairing! Their delivery is in a very approachable and personable manner, this is not a stuffy or pretentious environment. Every course is well presented, explained, and there are some whimsical and humorous moments particularly how they name their courses. This remains my #1 dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Edible balloon, anyone?9lo01fdDined on 10/4/2014We weren't exactly sure what to expect given the "experimental" label, but it turned out to be probably the best dinning experience we've ever had in the city. The quality of the food, the beautiful presentation, the amazing service, the lovely wine pairings, and the pace of the meal made for a perfect night out. Our compliments to the chef and his staff.Special Features:
- A very special GIFT to offer !GHLafDined on 10/2/2014What a DINNER . Spectacular presentation of foods, great taste, original, well dosed for a long degustation Menu and each plate with its own surprising contribution. The service was perfect, each plate was well described, the wine was well served and at the appropriate temperature. Ambiance??????? Special: Outside a bit «scary» to say the least, Inside:Cold, Zen, Cubic, for a purpose I suppose: less distraction and food concentration. Overall very good experience for my Guests. DON'T KNOW WHAT TO GIVE for a GIFT to a special DEAR ONE??????? Take them to HEAVEN: «ATELIER» OTTAWA.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner theatreKarowartDined on 9/26/2014Wow. What a night out! This is truly dinner theatre, not a simple meal. We will look forward tremendously to going back, but will save it for a special visit with foodie friends. A 5-star dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Dining ExperienceFairyGoudaMotherDined on 9/19/2014Atelier is a great spot to celebrate a milestone. The staff was phenomenal, very friendly and polite, perfectly attentive, and extremely knowledgeable about the menu and wine list. Overall, the staff really contributed to our experience. The food was absolutely beautiful, not to mention delicious. The levels of flavour the chefs had created for each dish was incredible and complementary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and servicelyndseylouDined on 9/12/2014We loved our experience at Atelier; the food was absolutely amazing and the staff made our dinner that much more enjoyable! I highly recommend this restaurant to anyone wanting to enjoy a special night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/11/2014Excellent food and service. Ideal restaurant for special occasion (40th wedding anniversary). Everything was at extra level. Sarah and Steve mastering food description and wine pairing. Enjoyable and Remarkable night. I would strongly recommend L'Atelier to all my friends. An evening to remember.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DimaDined on 9/6/2014Chaque plat est une œuvre d'art pour les yeux et en bouche c'est un explosion de saveur. Excellent service bilingue et tout le personnel est très attentionné. Le coût et la durée (3 heures) en fait un restaurant d'occasion spéciale et romantique. Très belle expérience culinaire.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nothing but the best!beemacDined on 9/2/2014This was our fourth visit to Atelier and once again it did not disappoint. The food presentation is like nothing we've ever seen, each plate designed to perfection. The tastes explode in your mouth and leave you wanting more. The atmosphere from the moment you walk in is catered to you. The quaint seating allows for a great group setting or perfect for that romantic night out. Every time we go we talk about it for days and highly recommend it to friends, many whom have already taken us up on our recommendation. From foodie to hopeless romantic Atelier is the place for you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not worth itEadibleOttawaDined on 8/30/2014Very expensive for what you get. Ther service was outstanding but the food generally fell flat. For at service priced at $110 per person I was expecting a lot more. We chalked it up to an experience that was lovely but overpriced and we won't be repeating it or reccomending it. It did help us better appreacitate other local restaurants and what they are able to offer for a reasonable price.Special Features:
- Amazing.SkitzyMcFritoesDined on 8/29/2014I took my fiancé to Atelier for our anniversary and told him nothing about it in advance. He was completely blown away by the food, wine and service. While the price is well above what I would normally consider spending on dining out, the experience was priceless. He's still raving about it. The food looks and tastes incredible, and the wine pairings are spot-on. The staff is knowledgeable, friendly, and very professional. The service is five-star, fast and precise. It feels very high-class without ever for a second feeling pretentious. In Ottawa, nothing even comes close to comparison to Atelier. If you want to create an unforgettable evening and have an amazing all around dining experience, Atelier is the place for you.Special Features:
- one of the best in the citynv2014Dined on 8/29/2014Hole in the wall, with great food! Wine pairings were perfect. Great for special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous Food and. WineRobertDined on 8/27/2014We had a superb experience. The food presentation and service was exceptional. Terrific sommelier. Overall, a great evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food and serviceBaniDined on 8/26/2014The food was excellent and I could notice some of the techniques that I had seen on Spinning Plates being applied to the plates (liquid nitrogen, spherification, etc). Texture and flavour made a great combination in most plates. Out of the 10 savoury courses, the meat and the lobster were the only ones that I didn't care much about. The other 8 were truly amazing. The fruit and the dessert were good, but I had higher expectations. The presentation of the plates was always spectacular. Even though the plates were very elaborate, the waitress explained them in a very casual manner that felt like a conversation between friends. This attempt to make this high end cuisine approachable was also seen in the creative names of the plates.Special Features:
- AmazingjzhaoDined on 8/20/2014This is my second time eating at Atelier and the experience just keeps getting better and better. Even though it is pricey, it is more than worth the value. I am definitely going back!Special Features:
- Ottawa's Restaurant to ImpresscapsquyowDined on 8/19/2014This restaurant is for people who savor their food. My wife and I returned to Atelier to celebrate our new business and to have an enjoyable, leisurely dining experience. And we did, in spades. The food--12 courses of amazingly intricate, delectable nibbles--was like eating artwork that exploded flavour on the tongue. We asked ahead for vegetarian options, and they handled this expertly even asking if we ate gelatin (which I do not). Each dish is perfectly sized to prevent three hour dining from becoming a gluttonous chore. And the wine pairings were interesting and exquisite. It seems ludicrous to consider one of the priciest establishments in the city a deal, but it's really an excellent value for the gourmet experience you receive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very nicetiguyDined on 8/16/2014Very expensive but very special...will come back..... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a treat!AnonymousDined on 8/16/2014A 12 course tasting menu that will delight your senses! Every course was dramatically different, yet they were all bright and beautiful. They were crafted with great skill and a certain whimsy. We had a blast! Thanks!Special Features:
- xTreme Food xPerienceDiscerningDinerDined on 8/15/2014Who would have thought that the mere taste of food could have goose bumps rippling over flesh, bring tears to my eyes and shivers down my spine? Moaning optional. Every course was an explosion of textures in my mouth, a brilliant mélange of complementary and contrasting flavors that hint at the culinary genius behind the creator of such dishes. The ingredients were fresh, the portions just right and the presentation an inspired visual delight as well as fun. The wine pairing was a careful and thoughtful match of interesting beverages. Staff is knowledgeable, attentive without being obtrusive. Clearly, the attention to detail and the thought that has gone into this uniquely divine dining experience, makes the diner feel cherished.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best restaurant in CanadaGEDSDined on 8/13/2014I've been to a 3-star Michelin restaurant in Paris, and the food at Atelier was comparable in presentation, style, taste, and creativity. Amazing food creations and super service from very knowledgable wait staff. I'm amazed this isn't in Toronto! Ottawa has a definite edge here in terms of molecular gastronomy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/8/2014One of the best, and most memorable dinners ever! Each dish was perfectly plated, balanced and presented. Truly a special experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another FABULOUS dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/2/2014I live in NB and vist Ottawa once or twice a year. This is my fifth dinner at Atelier. I don't know how it is accomplished, but every visit manages to exceed my expectations! Out of this world food, amazing service, lovely ambiance ... worth the extravagance!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PhenomenalFoodblissDined on 8/2/2014A must at least once in your life! What an amazing experience. We plan on going back for every special event and when the menu changes.Special Features:
- Extraordinary experience...FiveforGoodFoodDined on 8/1/2014The twelve course menu was superbly prepared with extraordinary attention paid to visual presentation. The real treat was the exquisite tastes that were masterfully combined with each service accompanied by thoughtful wine pairings. The hostess and Sommelier were most hospitable, professional and well informed. Our party of five enjoyed the experience - like none other in the city.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spectaculargr8foodVIPDined on 7/24/2014We had an utterly delightful and delicious and intimate dinner at Atelier. It was quiet, the service was personal, friendly, respectful. The food was so creative, just the right level of eclectic -- adventurous but not scary! And the food was BEAUTIFUL on the plate -- whimsical and innovative to align with whatever the dish was named. Wow. We would make the (long) trip back to Ottawa just for Atelier.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/24/2014Great restaurant!!! An experience like no other.Special Features:
- one of a kindcookwithloveDined on 7/16/2014The experience at Atelier is like no other I have experienced in Ottawa. 12 course tasting menu with menu presented at the end of the meal as a token of the experience. Seasonal, creative, enticing to the senses and beautiful presented. Each course proved that the kitchen team truly understands each cooking technique and is mastering them beautifully. The detail of each dish from our servers throughout our dinner was playful, exciting and the perfect addition to our experience! My boyfriend and I had a very lovely evening but the experience would be fun to share in a group as well!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious tidbitsPolicywonketteDined on 7/16/2014This was my fifth time going to atelier and the food was exceedingly delicious, beautifully presented, and fun to eat. The service was outstanding as per normal at atelier, with an exceedingly knowledgable staff and sommelier. This was the first time however that I left the 12 course meal hungry! Atelier has shrunk their portion size significantly, and I was upset at the small quantities of food that was served. I actually ate a full burger immediately after leaving the restaurant, something I would I have been physically incapable of on previous visits. I would highly recommend this restaurant to my friends, but I would like to see them serve bigger portions againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Second time and just gets betterRoosremillardDined on 7/12/2014Always changing tasting menu - always fantastic. A dining experience not to be missed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NicoleDined on 7/10/2014Excellent Presentation was out of this world. Perfect for a special occasion. Highly recommendedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DADADined on 7/3/2014Repas gastronomique plein de saveurs , très créatif et excellente présentation. Excellente sélection de vins accompagnant chaque services.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 854 reviews are from the Atelier reviews archive.