3127 Fillmore Street
San Francisco, CA 94123Neighborhood:
Marina / Cow Hollow / Presidio
FrenchPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.ateliercrenn.com/
- Phone: 4154400460x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:30 PM -10:00 PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Dominique Crenn
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Farm to Table, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: Our Garden Room is ideal for Private Dining Events. Please email Rachel @ateliercrenn.com for more information or call (415) 823-6723
A word from Atelier Crenn
An expression of taste, scent and vision. A gastronomic discovery inspired by sustainable and seasonal cuisine. Where solid tradition and new inspiration are at the forefront.
An expression of taste, scent and vision. A gastronomic discovery inspired by sustainable and seasonal cuisine. Where solid tradition and new inspiration are at the forefront.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
- Diners' Choice WinnerFrench
Atelier Crenn - Best Restaurants in Marina / Cow Hollow / Presidio ›
Atelier Crenn reviews from OpenTable diners
117 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (92)fit for foodies (86)notable wine list (62)romantic (60)neighborhood gem (21)hot spot (13)good for groups (5)late-night find (2)kid-friendly (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Too priceyNancyG54Dined on 9/12/2014We knew that this place was pricey, we were prepared to pay $180.00 each for the tasting menu & 150.00 each for the wine pairings. The Grand pairings are priced at 300.00 each. We ordered the regular 150.00 pairings, but when we got the bill we had been charged for the Grand pairings. This made our check over over 900.00 with the tip. We brought this to our server's attention, And she said, the regular pairings were not available with the Chef's tasting menu. She should have specified this when we ordered, as we ordered the regular pairing. We were in total shock! This was by far the most we have ever paid for dinner. We did not really enjoy the wine pairings.Special Features:
- Terrific waiter/ JosephOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/12/2014This was one of the best dining experiences we have ever had!!! The wait service and presentation made the our evening. The wine pairing was exquisite. Very expensive but amazing!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An experience to savor each timehungrynerdDined on 9/10/2014I'm sure others have raved about the creativity and deliciousness of the food. What sticks with me is that each course is like being presented with and eating a new work of art. I would encourage diners(unless you have allergies) to be daring and eat those things that you normally avoid - you will be pleasantly surprised, not that the ingredients are odd for the sake of being odd. Service is always outstanding, and their recommendations for wine are always spot on.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/10/2014The food was absolutely beyond fabulous! The presentation was creative and interesting but most importantly the food was excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SadTravelerDined on 9/9/2014The food at Atelier Crenn is not what I know good food to be. Maybe the subtle dishes went over my head, and it was a learning experience in that I have a heavy palate and enjoy well balance dishes full of flavor. Speaking to the chefs; I heard only about the vessels in which the food was presented in, not about the food its self. So I see why maybe I only enjoyed one dish out of the 22 courses. I do not appreciate that my last course; a box of chocolates on a bed of cocoa nibs, presented under "Lock and Key" as if it was something special. I asked if they discard the cocoa nibs, they said they were changed frequently, but don't know if tonight. I potentially shared that box with every other diner who had that course that night. Disgusting!
- TurleyfanDined on 9/6/2014WOW..just a spectacular meal.....Maybe not the ambiance of Danko or Manresa but possibly superior in terms of food and service....Amazing taste after taste...not a weak offering out of all 17....Very serious about food but dont take themselves seriously...great conversation when wanted, Chef Crenns visit a warm and sincere personalized experience....prestige wine paring stellar....cant rave enuf...will find an excuse to travel the 100 mi from Santa Cruz.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/4/2014This is truly an exceptional place. We had one of the very best meals we have ever had in a restaurant, equalling if not exceeding the best three star French restaurants we have experienced over the last 40 years. The pairing of wine and food was the very best we have ever experienced, and the wines selected were not BIG names at all, just excellent with each dish served.Special Features:
- Wonderful food and service!OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 9/3/2014Very imaginative, creative, and non-classical french. The transition from whites to reds to white again was unexpected but tasteful and well-done. Only comment is that the tables are close together, perhaps a little more so than other fine dining establishments.Special Features:
- Inventive cuisineMorchellaVIPDined on 9/2/2014I really enjoyed my dinner at Atelier Crenn. I got the 20-course dinner. The food was very creative and tasty. The chef went around and introduced herself to each of the diners, which I thought was a nice touch. I have two complaints. One is that dinner took just a little shy of four hours. The other is that the menu is just a poem so you don't leave with anything to spark your memory about each of the courses.Special Features:
- Great experience!mariaDined on 8/28/2014full of surprises! The menu it's a journey. Excelente servicio!Special Features:
- UnfulfilledmagiqueDined on 8/27/2014First, I must say, I'm a big fan of Dominique, whom I had the privilege of meeting at a "Plated" event at the Embarcadero Center. A true and genuinely nice person. I tried calling three times after receiving a confirmation inquiry call, but no one answered. So, I corresponded through e-mail about various dietary preferences and a special occasion. Unfortunately, Dominique was not there that evening and my appetite was not sated after finishing nine courses. Perhaps, if I had opted for a wine pairing it might have been different. Unfortunately, the wine mark-up on the glasses and bottles were too high. Additionally, there is an egregious $45 corkage fee. This may be my last tasting menu. I only want "cook-to-order" food from now on.
- Unique experienceRunningmimiDined on 8/23/2014We had a wonderful dinner at Atelier Crenn. The food was amazing and unlike anything I have had before. The service was fantastic and the whole experience was wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible restaurant experiencebarnsleighDined on 8/22/2014We had an absolutely amazing dinner at Atelier Crenn. We were travelling from Australia and wanted a special dinner on our trip, and this ticked all the boxes. We were dining on a Friday night, so we had the grand tasting menu with matching wines. Every course told a story and tasted delicious. We enjoyed ourselves so much, we were there for 5 hours for the 18 courses and 15 matching wines! The chefs obviously work very hard to create so many perfect dishes. The wait staff were flawless and very friendly if you wanted to chat to them about anything on the menu or the wine list. This is an experience I will never forget!Special Features:
- At the top of her gamegaf11Dined on 8/20/2014Atelier Crenn has come of age. The restaurant has always produced beautiful food, but now the food is as stunning in taste as it is visually on the plate. This is one of the great American restaurants. Of 20 courses only one was a disappointment, and most were brilliant in conception and presentation.Special Features:
- Best 2 star Michelin I ever ate.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/20/2014No need for lengthy text. The food and presentation of the 18-course menu is without question worth 3 Michelin stars. I haven´t eaten as good in any restaurant in France or any other 3 star Michelin restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner at Atelier CrennmarciaDined on 8/19/2014We deemed the room design as cold and the lighting as poor for the ambience. We ordered the 7 tasting menus and received 14. Each was fabulous on its own and by the end we had had plenty of food; not overly stuffed. The service was a bit hyper but fine. The sommelier pushed rather hard on buying more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/19/2014A meal here is like watching attending a culinary ballet. The wait staff are flawless. The chef is a poet, and an artist. This was the most impressive dining experience we have ever had. Thank you for an amazing evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WOW!!!bmonkey747VIPDined on 8/19/2014There aren't words enough to describe our dining experience! It was not just about the food, it was about sitting around the table for 6 hours enjoying the company, conversation, and of course every delectable bite that was put in front of us! We did the 20 course meal with the wine pairing….the technique and inventiveness of all the dishes was mind blowing.Special Features:
- Like eating at home.wcllhnmDined on 8/16/2014The design of the space felt very much like a large studio apartment. It was like eating at home with wood floors and being able to see into the kitchen.Special Features:
- ScamBreviewVIPDined on 8/15/2014The portions are small, the proteins are sparse, you will leave hungry and disappointed. It may be pretty to look at, but this place is a waste of time.Special Features:
- chelseaDined on 8/8/2014Of the 3 two rosetee restaurants i visited in San Francisco this was the best. Cooking was very imagininative. Of all the courses in the tasting menu,obligatory on a Friday night there was only 1 that i did not like:but that was my personal taste. Would go againSpecial Features:
- Lovely ExperienceessenDined on 7/31/2014Tasting menu was paced well and delicious. Service was attentive knowledgeable but friendly and not food snobby.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful experiencegrossaVIPDined on 7/31/2014This was quite possibly the best meal I have ever had, above French Laundry, Benu, Saison . . . The presentation of each course was absolutely gorgeous, and also served the additional function of supplying texture, temperature variances within each dish that was complimentary and captured the essence of the food. Overall, a wonderful experience, and well worth the price.Special Features:
- PreciousOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/30/2014Food was unbelievable. A little too precious for my taste but truly wonderful/unique. Should be a San Francisco institution -- very small plates not withstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/26/2014My wife and I celebrated our wedding with the help of a gift certificate to Altier Crenn. Our experience was amazing. The food was unique, bursting with flavors and unparelleled presentation. The staff's attentiveness was superb, from everyone taking ownership with delivering the meal's courses to refolding my napkin each time I left my table. The staff have set the bar, and I doubt I will find their equal. The only downside to the evening was the noise level. At times it was difficult to hear/understand the wait staff and my spouse. Otherwise, a perfect evening of memories that we will forever cherish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent and unique cuisinebrendcurranDined on 7/26/2014I have to admit that the premise--a menu based upon a poem--left me with extreme skepticism. While I can't say the poem itself was especially memorable, this was certainly one of the most imaginative and singular meals I've ever had. The dishes were inspired and the sommelier recommended a set of excellent wines! Our meal lasted almost four hours, which is not a problem and should be expected at a restaurant of this caliber, but be prepared in case you want to make plans afterward that are time sensitive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ImpeccableMelYDined on 7/24/2014The food is obviously top notch, no need to reiterate all the previous reviews. The service though was something else. The front of the house is a well oiled machine. From the moment I was greeted to the gracious goodbye, they didn't miss a beat. My water glass was always full, our table was always clean, the empty dishes were always cleared in a speedy manner. Just overall an excellent dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AbbeyDined on 7/19/2014We went for the 17 course tasting menu as a birthday occasion. We loved the service,( impeccable,) creativity of all the food and the way it was displayed. ( roasted carrots wrapped in very fine orange peel served on a branch of moss, nitrogen foam, chocolates in a wooden log of moss and many sea shells etc. It is a place for those with a very educated palette as sometimes you are experiencing the essence of something rather than the actual something . The salad was a small piece of meringue with small pieces of green inserted in the top. This is a very high level of cuisine using all the latest technology and the thoughtful creativity of the poetic menu. $1400 for 4 with 2 bottles of our own wine. Loved the tomato course.Special Features:
- MarcusVIPDined on 7/18/2014It was good, but I think the quality of the food did not match the price.Special Features:
- FantasticNewlifeDined on 7/18/2014I have eaten in many places throughout the world. This includes El Bulli, Fat Duck & numerous other top & Michelin restaurants. I have to say that this is a first. The menu is a poem so you do not know what you are getting & each dish is a line of phrase from the poem. From arrival through to paying the bill, I cannot find a negative thing to say and that is hard considering I own my own restaurant in Australia & find it hard to enjoy a meal as am looking at all the negatives. Love love loved it!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A meal unlike any other!JenniferVIPDined on 7/12/2014It was a joy to be surprised abc delighted over and over by the 20 courses. For the best of occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful presentation........ButScoeDined on 7/12/2014My wife anD I dined at atelier crenn last weekend, as we were in town for one night and wanted to be dazzled with wonderful food. Let me first say we have dined at many fine dining establishments such as this in the past. We had the grand tasting menu, and the wine pairing to go with it (all $820.00 worth) while the presentation was amazing we both felt the food itself was a bit boring in taste. As for the wine pairings I would recommend picking a bottle your self and enjoying it because they were way off base. As far as the atmosphere it was one table on top of each other and no privacy what so ever...... I was looking forward to going here for some time but unfortunately was let down a bit.Special Features:
- Tiniest tasting portions!!!ChefonTheRunVIPDined on 7/9/2014I really would love to give Atelier Crenn higher than 3 stars, but just can't. I have eaten at many fine-dining restaurants with tasting menus and have never walked away hungry, until I ate here. After spending well over $200 for a meal, I had better be satisfied, satiated and happy. I wasn't. To be fair, the presentation of the teaspoon-size portions was artistic and beautiful. But there was a disconnect with flavors. The food fell short on flavor, overall. The other piece that was quite unnerving was that at numerous points throughout the evening, there would be anywhere from 1-3 members of the kitchen standing in the doorway to the dining room just watching the diners. If they have that much time, make bigger portions!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eat here now.iheartseaweedDined on 7/9/2014The experience was wonderful. The food was thoughtful and beautiful. The connection to poetry and narrative was compelling. Chef Crenn went out of her way to my table to greet me, and she was sweet. Pacing was a bit slow at times. My only real issue was the table next to me, who had be there for five hours and grew more overbearing toward the end; to the point where they were brushing servers aside to take photos of the dishes as soon as the plates dropped. The front of the house did admirably to handle the situation.Special Features:
- UmaniVIPDined on 7/9/2014Presenation was innovative and beautiful, and the food was tasty. Lots of complex flavors. I was afraid the food would be laden with seafood but it was a well-balanced amount of sea and land. Their uni was delicious, and I generally do not eat uni. Lots of surprises. The portions were small and at course #5 or so of our 20 course dinner, we seriously thought we had to go get a pizza afterwards. However, the last couple of courses were more filling, and with dessert, we felt just right. My only complaint was that the food was served a little too fast. i am not one to enjoy a 4 hour dinner, but we were done at 2.5 hours. I thought if they could schedule a little longer "break" in between course, 3 hours will be perfect. Will return.Special Features:
- Anniversary celebrationTukiaDined on 7/1/2014We had enjoyed the depth of taste in each course, which also flowed well from one to the next. The precision of science and effort created some of the other surprises that caught our attention through dinner. The wine list was heavenly. The Sommelier was customer-, experience-centric and knowledgable. The service was really good too. The dining experience has left deep and good memories for us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing night at Atelier CrennLfromDKDined on 6/24/2014Challenging, poetic and extremely tasty food at Atelier Crenn.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A truly unique experienceSFStreetFoodieVIPDined on 6/20/2014Many places aspire to be different. This one does it differently - from the menu to the presentation to the most important thing about dining - the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great mealOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 6/19/2014Incredible meal and service. Poetry with food or was it food with poetry. I don't know. Simply wonderful!Special Features:
- DelightfulRowynnDined on 6/14/2014Wonderful food and exceptional service. Very creative dishes and interpretations. Dinner lasts about 4 hours or so but is well paced. The chef takes the time to walk out and meet the guests.Special Features: