3127 Fillmore Street
San Francisco, CA 94123Neighborhood:
Marina / Cow Hollow / Presidio
FrenchPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.ateliercrenn.com/
- Phone: 4154400460x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:30 PM -10:00 PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Dominique Crenn
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Farm to Table, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: Our Garden Room is ideal for Private Dining Events. Please email Rachel @ateliercrenn.com for more information or call (415) 823-6723
A word from Atelier Crenn
An expression of taste, scent and vision. A gastronomic discovery inspired by sustainable and seasonal cuisine. Where solid tradition and new inspiration are at the forefront.
An expression of taste, scent and vision. A gastronomic discovery inspired by sustainable and seasonal cuisine. Where solid tradition and new inspiration are at the forefront.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Atelier Crenn - Best Restaurants in Marina / Cow Hollow / Presidio ›
Atelier Crenn reviews from OpenTable diners
107 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (86)fit for foodies (78)notable wine list (59)romantic (54)neighborhood gem (19)hot spot (12)good for groups (3)late-night find (2)kid-friendly (2)great for lunch (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Unique experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/23/2014We had a wonderful dinner at Atelier Crenn. The food was amazing and unlike anything I have had before. The service was fantastic and the whole experience was wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- At the top of her gamegaf11Dined on 8/20/2014Atelier Crenn has come of age. The restaurant has always produced beautiful food, but now the food is as stunning in taste as it is visually on the plate. This is one of the great American restaurants. Of 20 courses only one was a disappointment, and most were brilliant in conception and presentation.Special Features:
- Best 2 star Michelin I ever ate.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/20/2014No need for lengthy text. The food and presentation of the 18-course menu is without question worth 3 Michelin stars. I haven´t eaten as good in any restaurant in France or any other 3 star Michelin restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner at Atelier CrennmarciaDined on 8/19/2014We deemed the room design as cold and the lighting as poor for the ambience. We ordered the 7 tasting menus and received 14. Each was fabulous on its own and by the end we had had plenty of food; not overly stuffed. The service was a bit hyper but fine. The sommelier pushed rather hard on buying more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/19/2014A meal here is like watching attending a culinary ballet. The wait staff are flawless. The chef is a poet, and an artist. This was the most impressive dining experience we have ever had. Thank you for an amazing evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WOW!!!bmonkey747VIPDined on 8/19/2014There aren't words enough to describe our dining experience! It was not just about the food, it was about sitting around the table for 6 hours enjoying the company, conversation, and of course every delectable bite that was put in front of us! We did the 20 course meal with the wine pairing….the technique and inventiveness of all the dishes was mind blowing.Special Features:
- Like eating at home.wcllhnmDined on 8/16/2014The design of the space felt very much like a large studio apartment. It was like eating at home with wood floors and being able to see into the kitchen.Special Features:
- ScamOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/15/2014The portions are small, the proteins are sparse, you will leave hungry and disappointed. It may be pretty to look at, but this place is a waste of time.Special Features:
- chelseaDined on 8/8/2014Of the 3 two rosetee restaurants i visited in San Francisco this was the best. Cooking was very imagininative. Of all the courses in the tasting menu,obligatory on a Friday night there was only 1 that i did not like:but that was my personal taste. Would go againSpecial Features:
- Lovely ExperienceessenDined on 7/31/2014Tasting menu was paced well and delicious. Service was attentive knowledgeable but friendly and not food snobby.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful experiencegrossaVIPDined on 7/31/2014This was quite possibly the best meal I have ever had, above French Laundry, Benu, Saison . . . The presentation of each course was absolutely gorgeous, and also served the additional function of supplying texture, temperature variances within each dish that was complimentary and captured the essence of the food. Overall, a wonderful experience, and well worth the price.Special Features:
- PreciousOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/30/2014Food was unbelievable. A little too precious for my taste but truly wonderful/unique. Should be a San Francisco institution -- very small plates not withstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/26/2014My wife and I celebrated our wedding with the help of a gift certificate to Altier Crenn. Our experience was amazing. The food was unique, bursting with flavors and unparelleled presentation. The staff's attentiveness was superb, from everyone taking ownership with delivering the meal's courses to refolding my napkin each time I left my table. The staff have set the bar, and I doubt I will find their equal. The only downside to the evening was the noise level. At times it was difficult to hear/understand the wait staff and my spouse. Otherwise, a perfect evening of memories that we will forever cherish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent and unique cuisinebrendcurranDined on 7/26/2014I have to admit that the premise--a menu based upon a poem--left me with extreme skepticism. While I can't say the poem itself was especially memorable, this was certainly one of the most imaginative and singular meals I've ever had. The dishes were inspired and the sommelier recommended a set of excellent wines! Our meal lasted almost four hours, which is not a problem and should be expected at a restaurant of this caliber, but be prepared in case you want to make plans afterward that are time sensitive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ImpeccableMelYDined on 7/24/2014The food is obviously top notch, no need to reiterate all the previous reviews. The service though was something else. The front of the house is a well oiled machine. From the moment I was greeted to the gracious goodbye, they didn't miss a beat. My water glass was always full, our table was always clean, the empty dishes were always cleared in a speedy manner. Just overall an excellent dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AbbeyDined on 7/19/2014We went for the 17 course tasting menu as a birthday occasion. We loved the service,( impeccable,) creativity of all the food and the way it was displayed. ( roasted carrots wrapped in very fine orange peel served on a branch of moss, nitrogen foam, chocolates in a wooden log of moss and many sea shells etc. It is a place for those with a very educated palette as sometimes you are experiencing the essence of something rather than the actual something . The salad was a small piece of meringue with small pieces of green inserted in the top. This is a very high level of cuisine using all the latest technology and the thoughtful creativity of the poetic menu. $1400 for 4 with 2 bottles of our own wine. Loved the tomato course.Special Features:
- MarcusVIPDined on 7/18/2014It was good, but I think the quality of the food did not match the price.Special Features:
- FantasticNewlifeDined on 7/18/2014I have eaten in many places throughout the world. This includes El Bulli, Fat Duck & numerous other top & Michelin restaurants. I have to say that this is a first. The menu is a poem so you do not know what you are getting & each dish is a line of phrase from the poem. From arrival through to paying the bill, I cannot find a negative thing to say and that is hard considering I own my own restaurant in Australia & find it hard to enjoy a meal as am looking at all the negatives. Love love loved it!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A meal unlike any other!JenniferVIPDined on 7/12/2014It was a joy to be surprised abc delighted over and over by the 20 courses. For the best of occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful presentation........ButScoeDined on 7/12/2014My wife anD I dined at atelier crenn last weekend, as we were in town for one night and wanted to be dazzled with wonderful food. Let me first say we have dined at many fine dining establishments such as this in the past. We had the grand tasting menu, and the wine pairing to go with it (all $820.00 worth) while the presentation was amazing we both felt the food itself was a bit boring in taste. As for the wine pairings I would recommend picking a bottle your self and enjoying it because they were way off base. As far as the atmosphere it was one table on top of each other and no privacy what so ever...... I was looking forward to going here for some time but unfortunately was let down a bit.Special Features:
- Tiniest tasting portions!!!ChefonTheRunVIPDined on 7/9/2014I really would love to give Atelier Crenn higher than 3 stars, but just can't. I have eaten at many fine-dining restaurants with tasting menus and have never walked away hungry, until I ate here. After spending well over $200 for a meal, I had better be satisfied, satiated and happy. I wasn't. To be fair, the presentation of the teaspoon-size portions was artistic and beautiful. But there was a disconnect with flavors. The food fell short on flavor, overall. The other piece that was quite unnerving was that at numerous points throughout the evening, there would be anywhere from 1-3 members of the kitchen standing in the doorway to the dining room just watching the diners. If they have that much time, make bigger portions!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eat here now.iheartseaweedDined on 7/9/2014The experience was wonderful. The food was thoughtful and beautiful. The connection to poetry and narrative was compelling. Chef Crenn went out of her way to my table to greet me, and she was sweet. Pacing was a bit slow at times. My only real issue was the table next to me, who had be there for five hours and grew more overbearing toward the end; to the point where they were brushing servers aside to take photos of the dishes as soon as the plates dropped. The front of the house did admirably to handle the situation.Special Features:
- UmaniVIPDined on 7/9/2014Presenation was innovative and beautiful, and the food was tasty. Lots of complex flavors. I was afraid the food would be laden with seafood but it was a well-balanced amount of sea and land. Their uni was delicious, and I generally do not eat uni. Lots of surprises. The portions were small and at course #5 or so of our 20 course dinner, we seriously thought we had to go get a pizza afterwards. However, the last couple of courses were more filling, and with dessert, we felt just right. My only complaint was that the food was served a little too fast. i am not one to enjoy a 4 hour dinner, but we were done at 2.5 hours. I thought if they could schedule a little longer "break" in between course, 3 hours will be perfect. Will return.Special Features:
- Anniversary celebrationTukiaDined on 7/1/2014We had enjoyed the depth of taste in each course, which also flowed well from one to the next. The precision of science and effort created some of the other surprises that caught our attention through dinner. The wine list was heavenly. The Sommelier was customer-, experience-centric and knowledgable. The service was really good too. The dining experience has left deep and good memories for us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing night at Atelier CrennLfromDKDined on 6/24/2014Challenging, poetic and extremely tasty food at Atelier Crenn.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A truly unique experienceSFStreetFoodieVIPDined on 6/20/2014Many places aspire to be different. This one does it differently - from the menu to the presentation to the most important thing about dining - the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DelightfulRowynnDined on 6/14/2014Wonderful food and exceptional service. Very creative dishes and interpretations. Dinner lasts about 4 hours or so but is well paced. The chef takes the time to walk out and meet the guests.Special Features:
- Smoke…broth…squid…moanSmokyODined on 6/12/2014Atelier Crenn was one of the most remarkable dining experiences we've had. Crenn is a true artist. The food was provocative, the plating, the utensils…every part of the food experience was given great thought and care, without being stuffy or forced. The beginning service was a bit slow, but things picked up. Mind-blowing flavors, scents and textures kept us anticipating our next course throughout the evening. Too expensive for me to be much of a repeat customer, but so glad I went.Special Features:
- Extraordinary!HerveVIPDined on 6/11/2014I basically never write a restaurant review on here. I am breaking a decade long silence for this restaurant. Simply the best restaurant in San Francisco. It is for a special occasion, a discovery, a romantic dinner. Dominique is so sweet, as she came to greet every table. Her culinary art, because we are talking about art, is "extraordinaire", like we say in France.Special Features:
- One checked on my bucket listTienDined on 6/7/2014It was an 4 hour affair and we enjoyed every minute, every bite.Special Features:
- Wow!OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 6/7/2014An immersive food experience. Four hours of gastronomic bliss.Special Features:
- UnbelievableOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/7/2014You guys are rock stars. This was the ultimate food experience. Took my wife as a major indulgence and spent 5, yes 5, hours in food heaven. Wine pairings were spectacular. There was not one course (of 20) that were not a delight to all senses. Found myself giggling a couple of times out of sheer pleasure. Yes very expensive but in my book worth every penny (and I don't part with my pennies easily). Any bad review of this place just didn't get it.
- Fit for an SNL SketchOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 6/7/2014What a joke. Cramped quarters, robotic service and Lilliputian portions. Spare yourself the overflowing disappointment and visit Benu, Coi, Quince or any number of other restaurants in San Francisco instead.
- Great food, moderate service.FoodFriendsFunDined on 6/6/2014The food lived up to all the hype, although after 5 hours we left without finishing the last two courses. The evening began perfectly with the wine and food coming at a nice pace and very attentive service. The service waned, however, when the chef left the building and the tables filled up. The courses got farther and farther apart. The som came back less and less, despite purchasing several hundred dollars in wonderful wines. We expected a 4- 4.5 hour service but this went on way too long and frankly, a restaurant of this caliber and pricing just cannot let this happen, period. PS It is infuriating when your water glass remains empty for long periods of time at a place like this.Special Features:
- Save your money!!!SippinREDwineDined on 6/3/2014We went to Atelier Crenn for our 8 year wedding anniversary on June 3, 2014. The ambience was great and the service was outstanding BUT the food and wine pairing for the RIDICULOUS price was beyond terrible. The wine paring was $150/pp extra and you MAYBE got 1.5 glasses of wine for the entire tasting menu. We had the Chef's Pick menu for $200/pp and expected amazing food. I think out of 11 tiny courses 3 were satisfactory to the palate. And many of the wines DID NOT pair well with the courses they were placed with. For almost $1000.00 for 2 people (including tip) I am extremely disappointed and cringe to know that they ripped me off so badly. There are many wonderful restaurants in San Francisco - don't waste your time & money here!
- Excellent!LeehoDined on 5/30/2014I have a pleasant dinner in Atelier Crenn. Creative, delicious and full of surprises! highly recommended!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 5/30/2014Absolutely great food, well served. Excellent wine pairings from a knowledgeable Somm.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- amazingbayclassntasteDined on 5/29/2014The space is small but cozy. the staff was incredibly helpful and educational and really helped us understand all that we would eat. And to cap the night off we got to take a photo with chef crenn even though she was very busy. This place is expensive but worth all the memoriesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The epitome of delectability...dizzy4dominiqueDined on 5/28/2014...the impeccable service and attention to detail in all aspects of the dining experience made for an absolutely sensational evening. Ian was quite attentive in his assistance with wine selection. The pastry chef is a creative genius in his presentation. It was also a rewarding treat to be within earshot of Dominique issuing accented directives to her team throughout the course of the evening. And to follow along the poetic menu, line by line, whilst each creation was presented was possibly the most unique culinary adventure in which I've ever had the pleasure of partaking. I cannot in words express my gratitude.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful dinner experience!mponyoDined on 5/28/2014A wonderful dinner experience! We had the Chef's Grand Tasting Menu and enjoyed every bite- so creative, unique, and delicious! The service was excellent; very friendly, helpful, and on top of everything. The menu is unique and we enjoyed following the poem for each course. Chef Crenn came to each table to introduce herself. It's not often this happens and we enjoyed meeting her. We have been to many Michelin star restaurants and this is one of our top favorites!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.