3127 Fillmore Street
San Francisco, CA 94123Neighborhood:
Marina / Cow Hollow / Presidio
FrenchPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.ateliercrenn.com/
- Phone: (415) 440-0460
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:30 PM -10:00 PM
Friday - Saturday: 5:00 PM - 10:00 PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Dominique Crenn
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Farm to Table, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: Our Garden Room is ideal for Private Dining Events. Please email Rachel @ateliercrenn.com for more information or call (415) 823-6723
A word from Atelier Crenn
An expression of taste, scent and vision. A gastronomic discovery inspired by sustainable and seasonal cuisine. Where solid tradition and new inspiration are at the forefront.
An expression of taste, scent and vision. A gastronomic discovery inspired by sustainable and seasonal cuisine. Where solid tradition and new inspiration are at the forefront.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Atelier Crenn - Best Restaurants in Marina / Cow Hollow / Presidio ›
Atelier Crenn reviews from OpenTable diners
108 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (91)fit for foodies (90)romantic (58)notable wine list (49)neighborhood gem (24)hot spot (11)good for groups (5)late-night find (2)kid-friendly (1)scenic view (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Culinary artistryretiredprofDined on 11/22/2014Chef Dominque Crenn has created a culinary masterpiece at her Michelin ** restaurant. Every one of the multitude of small courses served is a work of art and at the same time very delicious. She is a supremely creative chef. The service staff is very gracious and Chef Crenn visited all the tables several times during the evening. Every foodie needs to put this restaurant on their must go to list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 11/19/2014Fantastic and beautiful food with friendly staff! The chef even comes out of kitchen to ensure diners are satisfied with food. Will definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 11/18/2014Food was spectacular. Layers of flavors in every dish. Inventive and arresting presentation. A bit much for my husband, but he thought the tastes were excellent. Atmosphere is spare, yet sophisticated and surprisingly warm. Service was prompt and efficient, yet a little disengaged. Chef was present in the room and visited every table and she was genuinely welcoming. Sommalier was the one off-putting aspect of the evening. Officious and superior attitude. While I realize we didn't do the pairings or order some $500 bottle of wine, this is an intimate and not inexpensive restaurant and everyone should feel welcome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unusual, Innovative and CreativeSalvoVIPDined on 11/12/2014Dishes you just don't find anywhere else, but not for those that are looking for comfort food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect artistic portions of delightChouxieDined on 11/11/2014As the menu is a poem, each course that arrives is a surprise, described by the attentive waiters. The natural setting is calming, and the detailed artistry of the accompanying garnishes to the food accentuate this. Wonderful treat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poetry platedJennyVIPDined on 11/11/2014It was a beautiful evening for my boyfriend's birthday. Special in every way.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, but overpricedluvsbcDined on 10/31/2014We had the Grand tasting menu (only option on weekends) with wine pairing. We knew it would be expensive going in, but were eager for the experience. The food was excellent - interesting flavors, artistically presented. The wine pairings were just so-so: eclectic finds (not a single chardonnay, cabernet, even pinot in the bunch!), none of the food/wine combos really blew me away, and I was a bit disappointed in some of the red selections. In retrospect, the overall evening was overpriced - 3-star prices for 2-star dining. Not sure I'd go back.Special Features:
- Quite GoodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/28/2014I was afraid everything would be too precious, but the food was definitely excellent. Decor could use some sprucing up, perhaps, but service was good and the food, as I said, was outstanding.Special Features:
- Our first michelinstar diner *****RobvdvDined on 10/25/2014This was our first time at all in a michelinstar restaurant and it was amazing. The atmosphere was casual and that was perfectly for SF. The attention for the guest is amazing. Especially that the chef herself came out of the kitchen for some smalltalk made you feel special. The idea and presentation of the food is perfect. We had 20 courses during our 3hr diner and every course was a snetence of a poem. Very nice. Every course had its own tasting explosion in your mouth. I never tasted so many things in such small bites. The autumn concept was everything had a connection to the sea. But even for me as not that great a fan of seafood it was magic. I ate everything and with taste It was an evening I will remember for the rest of my lifeSpecial Features:
- perfect eveningzorroVIPDined on 10/25/2014We celebrated a birthday. Restaurant service was impeccable. We appreciate the chef visiting our table to talk with us. We had a fabulous evening. We will return another time soon.Special Features:
- AmazingTurleyfanDined on 10/25/20142nd visit to Crenn and absolutely blown away again! The food and service are simply spectacular...A good friend was the "guest sommallier" the night of our visit which added to the special quality of the evening...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A journey into the art of foodRoxyDined on 10/21/2014As an avid foodie I make it a point to explore what michelin rated & local favorite chefs have to offer. From Jean Georges in NY, to Cutler & Co in Melbourne, The Modern, La Folie, Gary Danko, Michael Minna and many more favorites... Atelier has won my heart over all of them. I could not recommend this place more. The menu was a prelude to the well thought out genius that each course portrayed. The ambiance of the restaurant and well informed sommelier set the tone for each dish. Each plate resonated with amazing sight, smell, and taste. This chef is a genius!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LuvSFdiningVIPDined on 10/15/2014It is expensive and portions are small. A lot of inventive techniques and touches. A one-time experience is probably enough.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/14/2014Everything was great. The only problem I had was the delay in the beginning of the service, when we first sat down, there was a long wait in even getting the wine or food menu. We just sat there, staring at each other, and waiting "What now? " After that, all was well. Mrs. Jojo P. Gunatilaka, RN with Timothy and Dr. Desmond GunatilakaSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- hsalamoneVIPDined on 10/11/2014The service really dropped off toward the end of the meal. The food was amazing, inventive, and delicious. However, the last few courses had very long delays between them which was disappointing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- the food is artjohnwDined on 10/9/2014The food is art at Atelier Crenn. We had a wonderful meal with many different courses, all imaginatively and beautifully prepared, and delicious too. The wine pairings were amazing, and the sommelier seemed to enjoy describing them to us. We had a great evening!Special Features:
- Absolutely lovely.MiniGingerDined on 10/9/2014When the final course comes, read the letter on the wooden box. The entire evening was full of wonderful surprises.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for a special occasionOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/26/2014The food was innovative: my wife still raves about meringue salad bite, and I loved the mushroom tray! As a vegetarian, I'm used to being disappointed by meat-centric tasting menus: in this case, however, I was thoroughly impressed with the vegetarian options. The servers were extremely friendly, and the tie-in to the poem by the chef was touching. I will say the wine pairings were slightly disappointing. Some were a bit too fortified, and some didn't seem to complement the food very well. Overall, we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves, and would certainly consider going back again for a special occasion.Special Features:
- Wowed Solo DinerSusanDined on 9/24/2014I did it up, paid a price, and got something very personal out of it. Food for the mind and heart, just as much for the palette. Bravo!Special Features:
- Dinner at Atelier CrennOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/20/2014Very interesting menu in the form of a poem. Service was enjoyable, and had some pleasant surprises with the courses. Portions were a tad too small e.g. wagyu beef which was hidden under some veggies. Dessert was definitely the highlight.Special Features:
- Too priceyNancyG54Dined on 9/12/2014We knew that this place was pricey, we were prepared to pay $180.00 each for the tasting menu & 150.00 each for the wine pairings. The Grand pairings are priced at 300.00 each. We ordered the regular 150.00 pairings, but when we got the bill we had been charged for the Grand pairings. This made our check over over 900.00 with the tip. We brought this to our server's attention, And she said, the regular pairings were not available with the Chef's tasting menu. She should have specified this when we ordered, as we ordered the regular pairing. We were in total shock! This was by far the most we have ever paid for dinner. We did not really enjoy the wine pairings.Special Features:
- Terrific waiter/ JosephOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/12/2014This was one of the best dining experiences we have ever had!!! The wait service and presentation made the our evening. The wine pairing was exquisite. Very expensive but amazing!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An experience to savor each timehungrynerdDined on 9/10/2014I'm sure others have raved about the creativity and deliciousness of the food. What sticks with me is that each course is like being presented with and eating a new work of art. I would encourage diners(unless you have allergies) to be daring and eat those things that you normally avoid - you will be pleasantly surprised, not that the ingredients are odd for the sake of being odd. Service is always outstanding, and their recommendations for wine are always spot on.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/10/2014The food was absolutely beyond fabulous! The presentation was creative and interesting but most importantly the food was excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SadTravelerDined on 9/9/2014The food at Atelier Crenn is not what I know good food to be. Maybe the subtle dishes went over my head, and it was a learning experience in that I have a heavy palate and enjoy well balance dishes full of flavor. Speaking to the chefs; I heard only about the vessels in which the food was presented in, not about the food its self. So I see why maybe I only enjoyed one dish out of the 22 courses. I do not appreciate that my last course; a box of chocolates on a bed of cocoa nibs, presented under "Lock and Key" as if it was something special. I asked if they discard the cocoa nibs, they said they were changed frequently, but don't know if tonight. I potentially shared that box with every other diner who had that course that night. Disgusting!
- TurleyfanDined on 9/6/2014WOW..just a spectacular meal.....Maybe not the ambiance of Danko or Manresa but possibly superior in terms of food and service....Amazing taste after taste...not a weak offering out of all 17....Very serious about food but dont take themselves seriously...great conversation when wanted, Chef Crenns visit a warm and sincere personalized experience....prestige wine paring stellar....cant rave enuf...will find an excuse to travel the 100 mi from Santa Cruz.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/4/2014This is truly an exceptional place. We had one of the very best meals we have ever had in a restaurant, equalling if not exceeding the best three star French restaurants we have experienced over the last 40 years. The pairing of wine and food was the very best we have ever experienced, and the wines selected were not BIG names at all, just excellent with each dish served.Special Features:
- Wonderful food and service!OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 9/3/2014Very imaginative, creative, and non-classical french. The transition from whites to reds to white again was unexpected but tasteful and well-done. Only comment is that the tables are close together, perhaps a little more so than other fine dining establishments.Special Features:
- Inventive cuisineMorchellaVIPDined on 9/2/2014I really enjoyed my dinner at Atelier Crenn. I got the 20-course dinner. The food was very creative and tasty. The chef went around and introduced herself to each of the diners, which I thought was a nice touch. I have two complaints. One is that dinner took just a little shy of four hours. The other is that the menu is just a poem so you don't leave with anything to spark your memory about each of the courses.Special Features:
- Great experience!mariaDined on 8/28/2014full of surprises! The menu it's a journey. Excelente servicio!Special Features:
- UnfulfilledmagiqueDined on 8/27/2014First, I must say, I'm a big fan of Dominique, whom I had the privilege of meeting at a "Plated" event at the Embarcadero Center. A true and genuinely nice person. I tried calling three times after receiving a confirmation inquiry call, but no one answered. So, I corresponded through e-mail about various dietary preferences and a special occasion. Unfortunately, Dominique was not there that evening and my appetite was not sated after finishing nine courses. Perhaps, if I had opted for a wine pairing it might have been different. Unfortunately, the wine mark-up on the glasses and bottles were too high. Additionally, there is an egregious $45 corkage fee. This may be my last tasting menu. I only want "cook-to-order" food from now on.
- Creative and TastyJieGhostDined on 8/26/2014It is a Michelin 2-star restaurant. I had great expectation before my visit and I didn't disappoint at all. I had around 20 small dishes. Each of them is creative and tasty. Food was cooked fresh and placed in unique containers.Special Features:
- Unique experienceRunningmimiDined on 8/23/2014We had a wonderful dinner at Atelier Crenn. The food was amazing and unlike anything I have had before. The service was fantastic and the whole experience was wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible restaurant experiencebarnsleighDined on 8/22/2014We had an absolutely amazing dinner at Atelier Crenn. We were travelling from Australia and wanted a special dinner on our trip, and this ticked all the boxes. We were dining on a Friday night, so we had the grand tasting menu with matching wines. Every course told a story and tasted delicious. We enjoyed ourselves so much, we were there for 5 hours for the 18 courses and 15 matching wines! The chefs obviously work very hard to create so many perfect dishes. The wait staff were flawless and very friendly if you wanted to chat to them about anything on the menu or the wine list. This is an experience I will never forget!Special Features:
- At the top of her gamegaf11Dined on 8/20/2014Atelier Crenn has come of age. The restaurant has always produced beautiful food, but now the food is as stunning in taste as it is visually on the plate. This is one of the great American restaurants. Of 20 courses only one was a disappointment, and most were brilliant in conception and presentation.Special Features:
- Best 2 star Michelin I ever ate.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/20/2014No need for lengthy text. The food and presentation of the 18-course menu is without question worth 3 Michelin stars. I haven´t eaten as good in any restaurant in France or any other 3 star Michelin restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner at Atelier CrennmarciaDined on 8/19/2014We deemed the room design as cold and the lighting as poor for the ambience. We ordered the 7 tasting menus and received 14. Each was fabulous on its own and by the end we had had plenty of food; not overly stuffed. The service was a bit hyper but fine. The sommelier pushed rather hard on buying more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/19/2014A meal here is like watching attending a culinary ballet. The wait staff are flawless. The chef is a poet, and an artist. This was the most impressive dining experience we have ever had. Thank you for an amazing evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WOW!!!bmonkey747VIPDined on 8/19/2014There aren't words enough to describe our dining experience! It was not just about the food, it was about sitting around the table for 6 hours enjoying the company, conversation, and of course every delectable bite that was put in front of us! We did the 20 course meal with the wine pairing….the technique and inventiveness of all the dishes was mind blowing.Special Features:
- Like eating at home.wcllhnmDined on 8/16/2014The design of the space felt very much like a large studio apartment. It was like eating at home with wood floors and being able to see into the kitchen.Special Features: