50 Hampshire Street
Cambridge, MA 02139Neighborhood:
PortuguesePrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.atasca.com/
- Phone: 6176216991
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 12:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Portuguese, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Joseph A. Cerqueira
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Atasca
A Portuguese word for tavern; Atasca is a visit into beautiful Portugal. This popular Kendall Square location serves simple, yet traditional lunches and authentic yet, modern dinners. The inclusive Portuguese dinner and wine menus allow for customers to experience a complete Portuguese meal. Portuguese Pottery, fresh flowers, and rustic walls filled with Portuguese plates are all part of the romantic atmosphere at Atasca. You can enjoy intimate meals with a group of friends or family and even with that special person. There is something for everyone at Atasca from cozy dinners in a warm corner to a light lunch in our summer esplanade. Atasca is the perfect place to indulge in tasty food, spectacular wines and pleasant service.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Atasca reviews from OpenTable diners
48 reviews since April 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (23)neighborhood gem (21)fit for foodies (15)good for groups (13)great for lunch (11)romantic (11)special occasion (9)kid-friendly (5)notable wine list (4)scenic view (3)late-night find (1)Show More
- Great Portuguese food.ScinrasileDined on 8/13/2014You will expieriemce a little bit of Portugal. Great appetizers and Bacalhau.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasantly unusual, warm ambienceoutontownDined on 8/13/2014Our office group including significant others enjoyed a lovely evening at Atasca. The food was fine and the drinks were voted delightfully different (using Portuguese ingredients) and reasonably priced. Various seafood dishes got thumbs up. The passion fruit mousse was also a big hit. We may easily make this an annual outing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic Portuguese diningTOdineDined on 8/8/2014Atasca offers a beautiful authentic portuguese dining experience. We were excited to try this place since we had future plans to visit Portugal so we wanted a place that offered an authentic experience. The outdoor patio is quiet, unexposed and relaxing which we really admired. The menu had many great options which made it difficult to decide on which dishes to get. We opted for 4 dishes among the both of us which was plenty of food. The food was delicious with lots of traditional flavors that pleased our palettes. One only thing we were slightly disappointed with was slow service and lack of water refills by the server. Atasca offers a relaxing and romantic evening for those interested in traditional Portuguese food.Special Features:
- cultorDined on 8/2/2014Cod fish (lagareiro and natas) were excellent, good wine and the service was perfectSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Used to be a great restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/26/2014I used to live in Boston and LOVED Atasca! I went for the first time in 6 years and I won't be back. The service was SLOW and unprofessional. Even paying was challenging. We were initally charged nearly 250$ for our $209 bill. Even after fixing it, we were over-charged $8 which we deducted from the server's tip. The food was not good. Pork was VERY dry even though it was served in sauce. The apps came out slowly and at different times. Even the sangria which I used to RAVE about was lacking in fruit and too sweet.
- Long wait for foodOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/26/2014The food was very good & the staff were very personable but it was incredibly slow to get entrée. We ordered the special, which was halibut. It took 2 hours from the time we rec'd our appetizers until we got our entrees.
- Excellent Portuguese BistroBainesVIPDined on 7/19/2014Atasca remains one of the best and most authentic Portuguese restaurants in the Boston/Cambridge area. Especially noteworthy are the various fish and seafood dishes and the Portuguese wines are a treat, especially since they are reasonably priced and not well known in the US.Special Features:
- A bit of Portugal in BostonmelijerVIPDined on 7/11/2014We went to Portugal recently and enjoyed the food so much we have been craving it for weeks. We decided to try Atasca and I have to say they are the best of all Portuguese restaurants in Boston. You have to try it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful mealHappyVIPDined on 7/5/2014We have been here several times and have always enjoyed their seafood. But I had their duck special this time and loved it. The seafood was excellent as always. Be back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice findflevyDined on 6/7/2014Food well prepared with good variety. Prices were not cheap but reasonable. Wines prices were fairly high - out of line with food prices. Otherwise a very nice dining experience.
- Alway enjoy the food hereDRRQVIPDined on 5/24/2014Recommend the following: sauteed squid, octopus salad for starters, grilled shrimp for entree and coconut cake for desert.Special Features:
- most enjoyablehannahthedogDined on 5/17/2014we enjoyed everything about this restaurant, it is especially good for fish lovers. We also had a fun waiter.Special Features:
- BellyClamDined on 5/16/2014Good food, mediore service. I would try it again in all fairness.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for a get-togetherkennedycenterconcertgoerDined on 5/12/2014My friends and I met here after work. The weather was beautiful, so we were able to sit outdoors. The menu was interesting, being Portuguese, and had something to suit each of us. The only negative was that the service was slow, despite the place not being terribly crowded. Would recommend it and come here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- marciemVIPDined on 5/11/2014always good great fantastic waiter. Atasca is our favorite restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An enjoyable experieice every timefrankcDined on 5/10/2014I have been to Atasca about a dozen times. I am not Portuguese, but what I have figured out is that it is a very authentic Portuguese restaurant frequented by Portuguese people. They have a number of salt cod dishes which I happen to love growing up with Italians who also use salt cod. I have tried many of the dishes and all have been wonderful. Service can be a little less formal with some of the waiters not speaking perfect English. The prices are reasonable. I would attribute the lower ratings to those who come expecting their idea of an American gourmet restaurant and perhaps being disappointed in that they are not accustomed to Portuguese food and the informal style. I think the place is wonderful in every respect.Special Features:
- Atasca is very goodjohnrh1958Dined on 4/23/2014we took our admins to lunch. this was my first visit and I was pleasantly surprised with the food and service which were both beyond expectations.i recommend Atasca!Special Features:
- The following 226 reviews are from the Atasca reviews archive.
- Best Bet for Portuguese foodBBC52Dined on 4/20/2014Enjoyable experience for all concerned. Staff was attentive and the food was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Neighborhood FindVAFamilyof5Dined on 4/18/2014We found the food to be very good (try the shrimp and feta appetizer - yum!) and the staff to be very helpful. We could've used more water throughout dinner, but that would be my only complaint.Special Features:
- A wizards nightleegrid30Dined on 4/11/2014The food was not that tasty as I had anticipated. The restaurant ornaments were very nice, perfect for a romantic dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousAllissaDined on 4/8/2014Everything about dinner was fantastic. Our waiter was fine and attentive, he explained some dishes for us and was dead on with his recommendations. I got a special, a meal with 4 (count 'em, 4) meats. Every bite was amazing. My 3 friends were equally please with their meals. The hostess also came by to check on us mid-meal. I would go back here anytime.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Close to Kendall Square CinemaOmnivoreVIPDined on 4/5/2014There are lots of restaurants in the area, and Atasca is better than many of them. Having been fortunate to have been to Portugal, I thought that both the room and the food were authentic. Beyond that, the food was tasty and the prices were reasonable. Having seen an Indian movie before dinner made it quite a multicultural evening.
- Amazing Staff,Service, and FoodKlassyKlinksDined on 4/1/2014My boyfriend took me out for dinner to this amazzzzzing restaurant. The staff is really friendly and attentive. Food was flavorful and cooked well. The drinks were also delish. The ambiance had a romantic yet homey feel. The seafood was by far my fav...everything from the shrimp , the crab cakes, mussels, best clams ive ever had and the lamb shank is TO DIE FOR! Definitely will be back time and time again!Special Features:
- Portuguese heaven in Boston...ElizabethEDined on 3/22/2014Brilliant restaurant, excellent food, charming staff. A perfect night out. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, nice atmosphereDanielaDined on 3/14/2014The food was great and I enjoyed the strawberry capirinha. We'll return, for sure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service and food!KimmygDined on 3/8/2014I felt that this restaurant was like eating in Portugal. The shrimp dish that I ordered was amazing! our waiter was very friendly, and made our dining experience enjoyable. I would definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine but not outstandingAldoEatsDined on 3/7/2014For the price, the food was average. Their signature dish, Arroz Valenciana, was very bland and overall disappointing. The best dish was sautéed squid with polenta croutons. The seafood was fresh so the meal was fine, but not notable. I would not likely return.
- Great findmaxim0512Dined on 3/7/2014My wife and I were planning to be in Kendall Square for date night on a Friday. I made a reservation for Atasca, as it was one of the better-looking restaurants with a reservation available on short notice. The restaurant feels like the kind of place you might take someone on a first date: warmly decorated, but not too stuffy or fancy. Service was pleasant, if a little slow. The menu has a lot of choices for meat and seafood eaters; vegetarians might have a tough time. We enjoyed everything we ordered, from drinks through dessert. With its location just a couple blocks from the Kendall Square theater, we'll definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- will definitely returnBergyfanVIPDined on 3/7/2014There are some outstanding aspects to Atasca and we will definitely go back. For appetizers, the grilled sardines my wife had were fabulous and I am generally not a grilled Sardine fan. On the other hand, my sautéed squid appetizer was just ok - nothing bad, but nothing memorable- although the fried polenta croutons were fabulous. The dish as a whole could have used a little more garlic and a little more lemon juice. For mains, my grilled Bacalhau was the best salt cod dish I have ever had. They soak the salt cod in water for 3 days and then grill it to perfection. The cod had a softness and chewiness simultaneously. I was delighted. My wife's broiled jumbo shrimp in a light spicy tomato sauce could have been spiced a little more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great appetizersOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/6/2014My group loved the variety of appetizers that were available. We ordered about 5 and they were all delicious. Our server Nicole was excellent. Not over bearing and at the same time very attentive. The entrees were very good. The only complaint was that I asked for my tuna steak to be medium well and it was prepared well. Not how I like my tuna stake. The staff was professional, calling to confirm reservation and party size. I would dine here and try something else.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic Portuguese ......Maria3Dined on 2/1/2014Food and service was superb we all had different seafood dishes and everyone enjoyed their meals. The crab, cod and veal cakes were outstanding appetizers, great coffee and aperitif list, very enjoyable evening with clients that were Portuguese.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice intro to Portuguese foodUpforwhateverDined on 1/24/2014They do a nice job introducing you to Portuguese food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exciting menu, food not excitingBostongalVIPDined on 1/18/2014The service was excellent until it got mildly busy, then we had to flag down our waiter several times. The menu looked really exciting and interesting, but the food was quite bland.
- Always goodFrancescaDined on 1/15/2014It's not my first time here and my experience has always been good. This time I was also surprised with the "special of the day". Prices are reasonable for the quantity and quality. I highly recommend it, especially if you like Mediterranean (portuguese in this case) taste.Special Features:
- Tried this place after moviesOutoftownerVIPDined on 1/11/2014Tried this place after movies with friends at the nearby Kendall Cinema...never really had Portuguese before so that was cool, we like trying different ethnic food. The food was generally pretty good (but dishes took quite some time to come out of the kitchen and it wasn't that crowded). Word of warning though - be careful if you've never tried salted cod (featured heavily on the menu). The waitress did tell me it's an acquired taste so I do not fault her one bit...and I'm glad I tried it...but it is far from my favorite, so I don't think i'll need to eat it again. :(Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WOWkentVIPDined on 1/10/2014fantastic food, carefully authentically cooked. The fish stews and superb. Just a great place for an unusual meal that will transport you to sunny Portugal.Special Features:
- Great place!NoelleVIPDined on 12/28/2013This place is great for groups - have been a couple times and has been great every time. Had the pork tenderloin which was a tad dry but over all really good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent small platesOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 12/22/2013This is the place to go to enjoy a wide variety of small plates, with an emphasis on seafood. I recommend the cold octopus salad and anything with squid. Wonderful steamed mussels. We broke away from seafood to have the braised beef short ribs entree which was great. Wash everything down with an excellent and inexpensive vino verde. Service was friendly and helpful. The small plates are generously sized and a good value. It was a fun and entertaining meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Highly recommendedOTdinerDined on 12/3/2013This year I was in charge of planning the holiday lunch for my department. I wanted to do something that would be fun, a little bit different from the ho-hum usual, delicious and festive - all whilefitting into our budget. Atasca delivered! The food was terrific, the atmosphere was festive, and the serviceice was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Portuguese Food for CambridgeAiredaleVIPDined on 11/24/2013Would definitely recommend this for Portuguese food in the area. Good traditional fare, reasonable price, nice setting. Would go back, can't think of a restaurant in the area with as strong a showing for Portuguese/Azorean cuisine. Nice job!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.