@ The Deck
1 Waites Wharf
Newport, RI 02840Neighborhood:
Contemporary French / AmericanPrice: $30 and under
@ The Deck
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.waiteswharf.com/atthedeck
- Phone: 4018463600x
- Hours of Operation:
Outside Tables First Come, First Serve. NO RESERVATIONS
Wednesday - Saturday 12pm to Close
Sunday Brunch @ 10am
Wednesday - Sunday 4pm to Close
Closed Monday & Tuesday
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, Contemporary French / American
- Executive Chef: Chef Matthew Holmes
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Entertainment: Constantly booking a variety of performers ranging from dueling pianists, steel drums duo, contemporary and among other genres.
RESERVATIONS BOOKED THROUGH OPENTABLE ARE FOR INSIDE DINING ONLY
- Cross Street: Thames
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: We do not operate the private lot associated with Waites Wharf, however we do offer a validation of half of which the lot is charging for guests dining Inside At The Deck Restaurant.
RESERVATIONS BOOKED THROUGH OPEN TABLE ARE FOR INSIDE DINING ONLY
A word from @ The Deck
Newport Rhode Island's premier waterfront restaurant that offers lunch and dinner; inside and out. Whether you choose to dine inside with our open air kitchen or decide to relax outside on the patio, @ The Deck Restaurant accommodates any and all patron looking to enjoy some quality time while over looking Newport's Best Harbor View.Continued
RESERVATIONS BOOKED THROUGH OPENTABLE ARE FOR INSIDE DINING ONLY.
RESERVATIONS BOOKED THROUGH OPENTABLE ARE FOR INSIDE DINING ONLY.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
@ The Deck - Best Restaurants in Newport ›
@ The Deck reviews from OpenTable diners
23 reviews since July 4, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (10)scenic view (9)fit for foodies (7)vibrant bar scene (7)special occasion (7)hot spot (6)good for groups (4)romantic (4)notable wine list (3)neighborhood gem (3)kid-friendly (2)great for lunch (1)great for brunch (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- foodVIPDined on 10/11/2014I cannot rave enough about The Deck. We had the seafood chowder - one of the best soups ever! My husband ordered the tuna dinner and he couldn't stop talking about how delicious everything was...from the tuna to the seaweed rice, everything was cooked and seasoned to perfection. My daughter ordered the Lobster and mac special. Lump lobster meat throughout the dish and the sauce was soooo good! We will definitely be back!Special Features:
- Outstanding!Joe33Dined on 8/30/2014Great service and food! Highly recommend this restaurant if you are in Newport!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The menu on line is not the sameMandEMVIPDined on 8/27/2014Although the food was very good, be aware that the online menu is about $10.00 less on most entrees than the price of the menu items in the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!AMPM516Dined on 8/23/2014Four of us had the pleasure of dining here. 2 of us had the Pan Seared Sea Scallops, which both people raved about! The others had the seafood Fra Diavalo and Chicken Picatta, both also very tasty! The food was fresh, came out piping hot, and the portions were generous. The prices are high, so be prepared for that. Service was great! Overall a wonderful experience! Will definitely go back! We did not know ahead of time that you cannot request to sit outside, if you've made reservations for inside, as they consider this a totally separate area with its' own menu. The indoor menu is fine dining and outdoors is casual. There is no indication of this anywhere when you make a reservation.Special Features:
- The DeckBigcordoVIPDined on 7/22/2014We enjoyed our evening at the Deck. The food met expectations and the wait staff was friendly. I would come back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pressguyDined on 7/19/2014Our service and food were very good. We had a reservation for 745pm but showed up early and asked if they could seat us and they did. I thought the menu was over priced. The indoor setting could be more comfortable. No real view of the water to make up for the lack of ambiance. Overall we had a nice time there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Misled and deceivedDisappointedVIPDined on 7/18/2014We had reservations for dining inside. After we were seated and reviewed the menu, it was obvious that the price points on the menu were far in excess of the info on your web site. The Open Table web site does not even show a sample menu. The menu price points were far in excess of $30. We felt that we were misled, so we decided to eat outside. The food was very good, the service by Haley was great and we had an enjoyable time. Open Table needs to review the restaurant and the inside, lighted menu for price points !!Special Features:
- Very GoodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/9/2014Lamb shank was excellent and sides were very original. Had brussel sprouts with bacon. Outdoor bar had great view of boats in harborSpecial Features:
- Food going downhill fastOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 7/4/2014All the food at our dinner, without exception, was not good. We have eaten here before many times but I do not see us returning. The waitress knew nothing about the menu, they made no effort to work with a gluten allergy in our group and the waitress actually told us that a breaded entree was gluten free... Well that would have destroyed our entire weekend.
- The following 71 reviews are from the @ The Deck reviews archive.
- it is okOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 6/28/2014We were there Saturday, June 28 at 5:00, 8 adults. We were seated promptly. There was a musician there, not the greatest! The spot is great, the view great, however food was ok, and service just wasn't that impressive. We needed to flag the waitress down a few times, had to have our Sangria sent back (tasted like OJ with maybe a splash of wine), and ended up leaving a 15% tip on a $350 bill. It was just an ok place, and won't really be heading back.Special Features:
- Restaurant Identity CrisisBeenThereDined on 6/21/2014First, the food was delicious, the service was good, but the inside restaurant was a disappointment. Worn out decor with no style, a view out the windows of the tented casual deck restaurant area which clearly the management puts all their attention into. For the cost of the meal, we could have dined in any number of upscale comparably priced restaurants in Newport with a decent view. The activity outside gearing up for the drinking crowd made our experience feel kind of cheesy. Like we had made a mistake. If I go back, it will be for the monday 9 dollar lobster roll and a beer outside. I won't be "dining" inside again.
- A great restaurant!WhiteKnightRIDined on 6/17/2014@ The Deck is a great spot and the experience was everything we were looking for and made for the start of a fantastic night. Friendly staff and spectacular views! Recommend. .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Little More Training NeededbodidleyDined on 6/6/2014We arrived at the restaurant and it was a beautiful evening, so I asked if we could sit outside, The hostess was very accommodating, however she failed to inform us that the menu was entirely different. I chose to dine here specifically for the mussels. I was extremely disappointed that I was not told that the outdoor menu was not the same as inside. A little more training would be suggested.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LouiseDined on 5/24/2014Nice little restaurant with lots of character. The service was good and the food was really good. Would definately go back.Special Features:
- Don't go herewaynenewton1Dined on 5/17/2014I hosted a group of 7 for a lunch after graduation. We were seated inside. The service was okay, not great but the food was very disappointing and I would say the overall restaurant itself was not very clean. I was furious at the end of the meal the hostess approached my wife (who just happened to be sitting at the end of the table and had nothing to do with the bill) was called off for a private consolation without explanation. The hostess was unhappy with how much of a tip our host had left and through some strange lack of thinking, decided it was smart to complain to someone that wasn't involved. In an effort to avoid embarrassing our host, we left an addition amount but it was more out of a sense of extortion than a real gratuity.
- Not worth the locationBlondesVIPDined on 5/16/2014Service was slow, server was annoying, our to-go boxes were mixed up, so I went home with her meat (I'm vegetarian) & she took mine home. Upon leaving, both of our cars had e WARNING slips on our cars, threatening to tow, parking for @ The Deck only. Really? An expensive, uncomfortable night.Special Features:
- Beautiful SpotOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/11/2014Had a lovely Mothers Day brunch. The tomato soup was wonderful as was the fish chowder. Would have preferred if there had been a vegetarian option for the main course besides pasta! The view of the harbor was great. The servece was slow - but in fairness it was our waitresses first day and the beginning of the"season" so they had kinks to work out. I would go back!Special Features:
- Great restaurant, poor serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/11/2014We came here for Mother's Day Brunch. First, let me say that the food, drinks, and ambience were fantastic!! The service is the only place they faltered. My mother got the prix fixe and never received her dessert. We had ordered beverages and they literally came out one by one about 5-10 minutes apart from each other -- my mother wasn't even the first one to get her drink! Then, they forgot all about my father's beverage until we had to remind her when she came out to take our food order. I think this place certainly has potentially, the food and view were amazing but unfortunately we did not receive very good service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great placeecostelloDined on 5/3/2014I got the restaurant week special, which was 3 courses for $35. The options for that particular deal were great. I wound up getting a caesar salad as my first course, which was fabulous. For my second course I got Penne Vodka, which is probably one of the best penne vodka dishes I've had. For my final course I had strawberries, home-made whipped cream, and shortcake. The whipped cream was incredible! I loved all the courses. I would definitely recommend this place to people who want a hidden gem right on the waterSpecial Features:
- Very enjoyable!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/11/2014This was our second visit. Based on a friend's strong recommendation, my wife had the swordfish. It was excellent, cooked to the just right degree of doneness, but my wife was expecting some sort of special flavor treatment based on the friend's recommendation. I had the Bolognese which was very thick and tasty but could have used a tad more heat for my taste. However, that is not a complaint; I love Bolognese and would readily order it again. By the time we had finished the appetizers and main course, we were so full we had to take our dessert home. I am sure this is a very lively place during "the season" what with outdoor dining and bars, but like most locals we avoid the Newport waterfront when the summer crowds arrive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food - Ambiance IssueJennTDined on 4/5/2014The food here is wonderful. Really. Our whole group really enjoyed the meals, especially the desserts. But, problem was it was SOOOOO loud at our first table, we asked to be moved. We literally couldn't hear each other or the waiter. Staff quickly and kindly accommodated our group and we moved to the back room, corner table, which was much quieter. Issue was - it was so dark we couldn't see our meals. No joke - our table at one point broke out the iphone flashlight app to see what was on the plate. Overall experience - 6. Was really hoping for an 8 or 9.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingDaveVIPDined on 4/4/2014Without a doubt a real disappointment after several good meals. Two of our three meals were deducted from the bill as they were unsatisfactory. The entire evening was below standard. The serving staff offered our three meals to three different tables until they landed with us. The meals, at that point, were cold and the cod was so tough that we couldn't eat it...and the chicken piccata was unacceptable. Even the restaurant manager said that the cod had been a problem for them. With the competition in the area it seems to be that they have to improve their game to match what other people are doing.
- Quiet night so noise levelgoaltenderDined on 2/21/2014Quiet night so noise level was low, not sure how it is when its busy. Had the swordfish and risotto and both were great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great little restaurantDinerR76Dined on 2/14/2014Tried out @ The Deck last weekend. It's in a nice location (right on Waite's Wharf) with a great view of the water. The Deck had a low-key atmosphere, but that could be due to the off-season. My party of four all opted for the prix fixe menu, which I assume is only offered during special events. Regardless, the food was excellent. We started with lobster stuffies and French onion soup. For my main entree, I grabbed a seared swordfish steak over risotto. The swordfish was cooked to perfection, and the risotto was delicious. For desert, I tried the tiramisu, which was very sweet and a little rich, but still rather good. I would absolutely recommend @ The Deck to anyone interested in a relatively inexpensive and pleasant dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valentines Day DinnerEBoucherDined on 2/14/2014The Deck had some of the best food I have ever tasted, and the presentation was fantastic. I was not pleased with the service at all. Our waiter did not have good communication with my spouse and I, also when the credit card machine failed, he let us wait for 25 minutes until my husband asked him why the wait. I was also misguided by the $50 valentines day dinner package. I went expecting it to be between $50-$65 and it turned out to be $85. Overall, the meal was good but I was not impressed with the staff or miscommunicated information. It's too bad because the food was fantastic but unless accommodated I will not support this business.Special Features:
- Dining on New Year's Eve atlambchopDined on 12/31/2013Dining on New Year's Eve at a restaurant that is a summertime hot spot was probably not the best idea. The wait staff was top-notch, but the noise level was too much for us. A huge spread of appetizers was provided. I enjoyed the chowder. The best was the plate full of tasty mussels. My swordfish was adequate. A friendly place for folks who want to celebrate!
- New Years Eve supriseDickandMargeDined on 12/31/2013Totally enjoyed the pre fix menu choices and the appetizer table was a big plus.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GREAT FIND !!!!ARNIEDined on 11/16/2013I happened on this restaurant on Open Table not knowing where to go when in Newport for a weekend. From beginning to end: superb! Noted on res. that it was our anniversary, and everyone took pains to wish us well. Waiter was spectacular. Offered me tastes of scotch before I selected one; our wine was "iffy" and he immediately took it back and suggested a different (less expensive) one. The scallops and lamb shank were out of this world. Chef came to banter with us, and gave us a recipe. Dessert, a waffle bread pudding came with a lit sparkler and was complimentary. Ambiance: terrific. I can't praise this place enough... and by the way, the prices were extremely reasonable for what we received! Worth the 2 hr. trip to get there!Special Features:
- AnniversaryCheAliDined on 11/9/2013Went here for our anniversary. Food was very good, atmosphere was terrific.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingDaveVIPDined on 11/9/2013We had not been back since April, but it was not up to standard. The restaurant week selections were not as good as usual and the quality fell short.Special Features:
- a quick visitsistersDined on 11/9/2013Visiting Newport for a quick getaway, stumbled upon restaurant week. Randomly picked The Deck. Made a great choice! Had a wonderful meal, great server, listened to some quiet background music. A very nice evening. My only complaint if that is finding the restaurant in the dark . No sign from the road indicating it's location. We ended up parking in a pay lot down the road and asking directions along the way. Walking down a dark alleyway was a little disconcerting, but we did find our way and had a lovely dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant NightmareThomasVIPDined on 11/9/2013I would not recommed this restaurant to anyone. The food, seating, and odor needs too be addressed. I hope their outdoor seating is better in the summmer.
- DisappointedJillianDined on 11/2/2013I am the foodie in the group and make most reservations. I chose The Deck because of the menu they listed for restaurant week. They deleted some options from the menu from the starters. Of the 8 diners, 3 had swordfish which was delicious, however, each person had a different sized portion, one in particular being huge. The scallop entree presented only 3 scallops which left the men a little hungry. Tuna was sent back because it was overcooked, and salmon was just ordinary. The worst part was that they ran out of all of the dessert mouses which were advertised on their restaurant week menu. We were very disappointed. Also, service was slow..
- Food wasn't as good as itPeterDined on 10/6/2013Food wasn't as good as it used to be. Short ribs were dry an needed more gravy. What used to be a really good restaurant is now very average.Special Features:
- Nice night out @ The DeckAng128Dined on 10/5/2013We had a nice anniversary dinner at @ The Deck. The wait staff was very attentive and the food was delicious. It is a small place so the noise level is a bit high, but the piano was a nice touch. My husband got the Duck Breast Au Poivre and it was very moist and tender. I got the Apple Jack Short Ribs and they were also very well done. The carrot cake was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Summer Hideaway.LaurieVIPDined on 9/6/2013This is a great gem. Outside deck eating, and great food.Special Features:
- Don't eatHeliVIPDined on 8/31/2013The linguine with white clam sauce. I am an afficianato of the dish and order it everywhere. This was the worst I ever had.
- Just GoodDatenightDined on 8/17/2013Went for date night with my husband. We live in the area & were looking for somewhere different. We were early & were told we could sit at the outside bar and have a drink. The service at the outside bar was terrible & they filled a small plastic cup 3/4ths of the way with beer and it cost $6. Inside was very loud. The place is small but packed with tables. When we were seated there were crumbs on the tablecloth that I had to brush off. The waitress was very nice & her service was excellent. The food was good.....for the price it could have been better but the portions were large. Overall it was an ok experience. Nothing to write home about but decent enough. I probably won't go back as Newport has so many more better restaurants.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Interesting place. DecentOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/3/2013Interesting place. Decent food, rather expensive. Needs a better chef.Special Features:
- Yum!ethomp2Dined on 8/2/2013Try the lemon cake. Your taste buds will love you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.