300 West 23rd Street
New York, NY 10011Neighborhood:
JapanesePrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.asukasushi23.com/
- Phone: 2127270888
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Sunday: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 11:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Thai, Japanese, Asian
- Executive Chef: Mr Cao
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Delivery, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Entertainment: Jazz Band, Flair Bartending
A word from Asuka Sushi
Known as one of the premier sushi caterers in New York City. #1Asuka Sushi has an established national reputation for exceptional food, creativity, and presentation combined with outstanding service. We guarantee fresh and quality ingredients for healthy and tasty food.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Asuka Sushi reviews from OpenTable diners
35 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (13)good for groups (12)fit for foodies (6)romantic (5)great for lunch (5)hot spot (3)special occasion (2)late-night find (2)scenic view (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Fredh fish and good menuAmelieDined on 9/26/2014Very good maki and sushi, the fish was very fresh. I would definitely recommend the maki special shrimp coconut avocado. The restaurant is clean and service is very fast but it was really loud! Also you can seat in the sushi bar and look at the chef to see how they do sushi and maki.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- neighborhood sushitinadDined on 9/20/2014This is a great go-to-sushi restaurant. Never disappointed.Special Features:
- Another favorite...NicSinVIPDined on 9/19/2014This was me and my boyfriend's first time eating at Asuka and it immediately made our list a favorites. We loved it. The food and service was great! Of course we were assigned a waitress but the entire staff will assist you if you need it, there was no "I'm not your waitress attitude." All of the members were pleasant and helpful. The food was fabulous. We wanted something different, other than the usual rolls you find, and their coconut specialty roll is to die for. Fresh fodo, great service and very nice ambiance. I will definitely be returning.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 9/11/2014Good but not great. A solid 3.5 stars. Good deal for a mid-week dinner, which is exactly what we had.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Saturday Night SushiJannVIPDined on 9/6/20149:30pm-The place was packed-we waited about 20 minutes to be seated. Started off with flavorful miso soup. Jumbo Sushi nicely presented, excellent quality fish but the rice seemed preformed as it was a bit stiff and no longer warm. We really liked our sake choice of extra dry JunmaiI would recommend this to a friend.
- Sushi GemWrd2bgbrdDined on 8/24/2014Great neighborhood. Love the variety of sushi. Had happy hour on a Sunday at 9pm! Service is super attentive and warm. My favorite sushi place this far.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bang for ur buckOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/12/2014For the ambiance it's definitely very affordable, however the food was slightly disappointing The restaurant claims to be Japanese, but 80% of the food ranging from the chicken to the udon that I ordered tastes like Chinese. It's all very odd. I really had higher expectation but heck, I didn't know any better. I will probably try something else next time but it wasn't horrendous. I think the salmon skin salad is good and the portion is definitely enough, but just fell short of expectation. So the conclusion is that it's not authentic Japanese food, but definitely ok if you just want Asian fusion food with strong Japanese accents.
- Good selection, well madeEatAndRunDined on 8/11/2014I had the veggie sushi combo and my friend had salmon teriyaki - both excellence. The one oddity about this restaurant is its salad bar. Rather than a traditional bean sprout salad before the meal, they have a make-your-own bar. The only vaguely Asian item is the (tasty!) sesame dressing. Otherwise it's beets, peppers, broccoli, etc. - the usual suspets.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food. nice servicetad1232000VIPDined on 7/27/2014Good sushi and fun waitstaff. A bit loud at times but fun.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Creative rollsOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/15/2014Amazing and creative specially rolls, fresh sashimi and great buy 1 get 1 drink specials for happy hour!!Special Features:
- It was fine.EmilyVIPDined on 6/28/2014Not special. Not bad. Fine. If you're in the neighborhood, seems like a reliable place to grab lunch.
- EVfoodieVIPDined on 6/27/2014Cute little place with incredibly affordable, tasty sushi. Great for a quick dinner with friends.Special Features:
- Top notch good and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/22/2014My husband found this place through recommendations online. Those are hit and or miss and this was definitely a hit. The sushi was fresh and delicious. Not overly roved and full of flavour. The ramen was full of the most flavourful juicy tender chicken, you know how so often the chicken is over cooked and dry in these places? Not here! The service was also amazing, everyone was on the same page and worked as a team. We will be going back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful mealLowSaltReqdDined on 6/14/2014This dinner was excellent throughout. We arrived 15 minutes early but still got seated immediately. Service was excellent and very attentive. Sushi and all courses were delicious and very appealing to look at and tasty. We would highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 48 reviews are from the Asuka Sushi reviews archive.
- DeliciousStorkholmDined on 5/25/2014YUM YUM YUM! Coconut shrimp roll is the way to go!Special Features:
- Great sushiNew2NYCDined on 4/24/2014Best sushi I have had in NYC and it's not overpriced. I will definitely be returning.Special Features:
- Fresh!PenelopeDined on 4/17/2014Asuka Sushi has the freshest tastiest sushi. They are always polite and helpful and I have never had a meal I didn't love. I always take out food. This was the first time I ate in the restaurant, at the sushi bar with a friend. She is a long time sushi eater and she too loved it. Although we ordered other drinks, they do have a half off on certain drinks. Overall, 4 stars.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food amazing servicearaaidanDined on 4/10/2014Im a huge sushi fan and this by far was the best sushi I've ever hadSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Sushi (But That Means Crowds)Saw1444VIPDined on 4/8/2014Just be aware of the crowds. That said, the sushi is worth it. Outstanding selection and enormous portions. I'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this Place...CKSSVIPDined on 3/1/2014So glad to have stumbled upon this place one Saturday night before Gotham Comedy Show up the block. Sushi was outstanding and very inexpensive. Would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious and funFoodieloveDined on 2/16/2014This is probably one of my favorite sushi places in NYC. The food is always on point and fresh. Pretty much any roll that you get will be delicious. The heart throb and dancing salmon are some of my favorites.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- one of my favoritesOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 2/8/2014happy hour buy one get one till 9pm? sign me up! what makes this even better is that the food is really good. yummy sushi, fun apps and the best service - super friendly and accommodating. the waitress recognized me from the last time i was there and somehow remembered most of what my group ordered. love asuka!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic SushiJeffVIPDined on 1/31/2014This was easily one of the best Sushi restaurants I've eaten at. My friend and I shared the chef's sushi and the chef's sashimi platters and both were amazing. Everything was fresh, and it wasn't just the usual pieces of tuna and salmon. All of the wait staff were knowledgable and attentive. On Friday evening there were two for one beers which was a plus. When we arrived around 7:30 it was just starting to fill up; when we left 90 minutes later it had gotten very crowded and a bit noisy. The noise wasn't overwhelming but it was by no means quiet. If you're looking for a quiet conversation or a romantic dinner this probably isn't the place to come on a weekend but the food and the service were top notch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- High quality: Low priceShoresCoupleDined on 1/26/2014Great sushi for a great price. We reserved a table for lunch, though upon arriving, saw it was perhaps not necessary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better for lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2001Dined on 1/18/2014We often go here for lunch. The service is good and the value is excellent. The sushi always tastes fresh. However, this last time we went for Saturday night dinner to celebrate my birthday. It was over crowded with people waiting to be seated hanging over our table. The noise was deafening. I might as well have been eating by myself because I couldn't hear even the person sitting next to me. The food was still good; the portions were quite large. A week night dinner is probably better.
- excellent sushi mealLookatDined on 12/31/2013Very good food, highly competitive price for the location but no compromise with quality Ambience is nice, kind of metro atmosphere, no big surprises in the menu which is very traditional Service is very fast, waiters were nice Definitely a place to put on the mapSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sushi with FlairTrixieDarlingVIPDined on 12/30/2013Beautifully presented sushi, very reasonable prices and a happy hour menu to please should place this little restaurant at to top of your list for an after work gathering. I enjoyed the house special soup which was a large portion of soup filled with lots of fish. Really yummy. We also has the 2 for 1 happy hour cocktail special which was a citron/raspberry/gin mix - very enjoyable and worked well with fish. I ordered a small selection of sashimi which was well presented on ice and fresh. Interestingly, this restaurant has a salad bar from which you can make your own preparation of salad. The menu is quite extensive - mostly sushi, not so many cooked dishes. Servers were great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not the greatest JapaneseEllemayVIPDined on 12/6/2013Not the greatest Japanese food but a lively place especially on the weekend. Large menu for all tastes Japanese including many choices of saki.Special Features:
- Great Sushi! Great Drinks!FGoldenDined on 11/15/2013The sushi was among the best we have tasted anywhere. Some of the rolls were quite unique as was their drink menu. Our waiter was friendly, very helpful, and provided great service. Fantastic Happy Hour.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 4 starsLadidaDined on 11/11/2013I liked Asuka Sushi -- the wait staff was friendly and attentive, the portions were hearty and delicious. I would definitely go again!Special Features:
- They have up my table whenAnnieDined on 10/12/2013They have up my table when I did not answer my phone to confirm the reservation 30 minutes prior to arrival.
- Sushi for Three on 23ChinaDollDined on 10/8/2013We were meeting in Chelsea and the review for Asuka Sushi popped up. There was plenty of food which was well-prepared. Specialty cocktails were a hit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy Hour prices for SaturdayOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/6/2013Happy Hour prices for Saturday night dinner! Whoohoo! Pretty good sushi at a decent price. We'll definitely be back.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good foodrudyvVIPDined on 7/2/2013Went with a group of 5 and we enjoyed everything. For someone who doesn't like raw fish, the veggie roll options are very good.I would recommend this to a friend.
- goodHmoneyDined on 6/30/2013food was good and so were the prices. i loved the warm towel that they give you to wipe your hands when you sit down!Special Features:
- Great Sushi BarOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/24/2013We had such a great meal the first time we went there, we came back a second time and brought a couple of people with us. Everyone enjoyed their meals and felt that the entrees were not only very good but also large and a great value.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sushi + happy hourOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/3/2013The sushi and sashimi in our "for two" platter was all delicious and fresh, as was the unique shrimp/lobster roll we got from thday's specials...definitely among the best I've had in the city...also a fantastic and generously portioned seaweed salad (often for your $5-6 you get a tiny side-dish sized serving, this was a reasonable bowl that two could share), but the reason I picked the spot was the happy hour and that did not disappoint...with our carafe of hot sake we got two beers and a mixed drink no charge, and the next mixed drink was buy one get one...all were creative and delicious. We left very happy and full, and I now have a go-to sushi/happy hour spot that I'll definitely revisit and recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good, but not great.OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 6/1/2013Still, it is a very pleasant place, and I recommend it to every one.
- Our Neighborhood Japanese GemLoriVIPDined on 6/1/2013We enjoy this Japanese restaurant in Chelsea, so happy it's close by. Terrific salad bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Night at the OperaOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 5/31/2013We live a block away and have been to Asuka before. Always nice, food very fresh. Dining not so good on a recent night. Although we had a table reserved (via OT) we waited 30 minutes, after being taken to two different tables that were "oops, unavailable", at the last minute. The waiter explained that he had problems with the cable guy, a waitress said that the husband and wife owners were fighting--and that was why we couldn't get a table sooner. A bowl of edamame came as peace offering, but after promising a comp. on drinks, they drew back at the end of the meal and said they would take 10% off the check instead (no where near the four drink total). Altogether bizarre. Go for brunch or lunch, dinner is way out of control.Special Features: