728 Fifth Avenue
San Diego, CA 92101Neighborhood:
Downtown / Gaslamp
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.astisandiego.com/
- Phone: 6192328844x
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Thursday: 11:00am - 11:00pm
Friday - Saturday: 11:00am - 12:00am
Happy Hour: 3:00pm - 6:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, European, Italian
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Catering Menu - Please call for details.
- Private Party Facilities: Semi private dining available for small and large groups. Please call 619.306-4465 for details.
- Private Party Contact: Marcela Davies 619-306-4465x
- Special Events: Groups and large parties have enjoyed Asti's accommodations for over 19 years. You will find that Asti's staff will take care of your group and special event from prior arrangements, throughout the dinner/event to following up.
A word from Asti Ristorante
Asti, located in the heart of San Diego's Historic Gaslamp Quarter, has been providing guests with an exquisite fine-dining experience since 1994. Watch the passersby as you dine out on the patio for a pleasant shaded lunch or while indulging in a candlelight dinner. Come on inside to experience the warm, elegant ambiance of the dining room. For the convenience of our guests, Asti can also arrange transportation to and from the restaurant.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Asti Ristorante - Best Restaurants in Downtown / Gaslamp ›
Asti Ristorante reviews from OpenTable diners
50 reviews since May 19, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (21)fit for foodies (18)romantic (18)great for outdoor dining (18)neighborhood gem (17)notable wine list (12)great for lunch (8)good for groups (7)hot spot (6)kid-friendly (5)late-night find (5)scenic view (3)great for brunch (2)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- A Nice Italian MealOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/31/2014We really had a great meal at Asti. Fantastic bottle of wine and delicious food. I ordered the special of the day that was a seafood pasta with a creamy pesto sauce and it was a lot of food! It had scallops, shrimp and half of a lobster tail. Really great!Special Features:
- Great seafood lunchrepeatcustDined on 8/30/2014First time here and our lunches were very enjoyable. One entree was the Agnolotti d’Aragosta lobster and ricotta ravioli with lobster sauce. The other was the Linguine con Scampi Piccata which consisted of linguine with 4 large shrimp and one grilled prawn on top. The white wine and lemon sauce had capers and mushrooms and was very tasty. Our waiter was attentive and his assistant replenished our water and other needs. Since this was early afternoon, there was no rush for us to finish our meal.Special Features:
- A Study in ContrastsTime4SecondsDined on 8/23/2014There were so many things to like about Asti: the bruschetta (sp?) was to die for, all veggies incredibly fresh like they'd just been picked out back. Other dishes were just so-so:angel hair pasta with scallops & shrimp had, at best, 3 of each, but an obscene amount of pasta to feed 1 of us the next night. Service was really sub-par: yes, it was a busy Sat. night, but our waiter had to come back thrice to remind himself which salad I ordered...was equally forgetful about my sister's wine selections...write it down if you can't remember! Got the food very quickly though. The hostess was also bad: she checked us in, then went on to cancel our reservations as "no shows,'' so we had to submit the receipt to Open Table to get dining points.Special Features:
- Interesting but outdatedTigerTrippinDined on 8/15/2014My wife and I were visiting SD and decided to eat at Asti since we enjoy good Italian food. Overall, Asti was okay and Chef/Manager "Allen" was quite personable, but the place seemed dated. Service was somewhat slow, perhaps taking a page from Italy where dining is a social event, but, when we observed the restaurant, the staff seemed unorganized and chaotic. The food is "Northern Italian" but with an SD flair with the seafood; I had the seafood mixed grill which was quite delicious. The downside, the clams were cold and the grilled Salmon was dry. My wife had the Prosciutto wrapped chicken which she enjoyed. I doubt we will return to Asti with all the options for Italian in SD.
- Lived up to reviews!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/12/2014We found this authentic Italian Restaurant online and followed the reviews right to the door. We were pleasantly surprised by the charming ambience, friendly, attentive wait staff and delicious meals. The portions were generous, fresh and tasty Italian! It reminded us of Italy. We ate inside to avoid the over crowded, bustling street in the Gaslamp. We were not rushed and felt welcome to linger over our meal. Definately worth the visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great lamb shankLawyerdinerDined on 8/9/2014My lamb shank was very good. GF's swordfish was good as well. Restaurant is right in the middle of the gas lamp. Great location. The valet is very pricey at $15.00.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Huge Portionsdamoses21VIPDined on 8/6/2014The bread was fantastic! I ordered pappadelle pasta with shrimp in a vodka cream sauce, very good and my husband ordered the seafood linguine with a spicy tomato sauce which was huge, tons of seafood, I liked his better. We will definitely go back.
- terrible serviceJasonDined on 8/2/2014lunch took over 2 hours. The food took a long time to come and I sat there for over half an hour once I had finished my drink. Our waiter was MIA that whole time, even though I asked for him three time.
- First Time VisitSweetpea32VIPDined on 7/26/2014My husband and I went to Asti while we were in town for Comic Con. The place was very energetic and people looked like they were having a good time. Our waiter was Mark and he was something of a character. Very lively and all over the place. My husband ordered the Lobster Florentine with alfredo sauce. His lobster and shrimp were over cooked and tough and his scallops were a little bit under cooked. Mark did offer to send his food back and replace it, but we were on a time crunch so my husband decided to eat it. But I thing Mark went back and let the chef know about my husband's food (I heard him yell). I had the lasagna and it was delicious and the bread was amazing! Overall, a good experience was had. Thanks for the food and memories.Special Features:
- EllenVIPDined on 7/24/2014The proprietor made it right by me when, after accidentally tossing my "take-home" box, he made me a new salmon salad to go. Nice service recovery.Special Features:
- s2artrVIPDined on 7/15/2014We had a delicious meal that was abundant enough for two to share. Service was outstanding. Server was very personable. We enjoyed Agel Hair Pasta with scallops and crab and am still tasting the delicious flavors. We were visitors to San Diego but would return in a minute when we have a return visit to San Diego.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- opentablefanVIPDined on 7/11/2014Best seafood pasta in San Diego, good for sharing it's enormous.Special Features:
- Nice italian restaurantBogdanDined on 7/4/2014Very tasty food and nice presentation. Good menu for kids as well.Special Features:
- Great romantic nightOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/13/2014This place was absolutely amazing. My lady and I had a great waiter who checked on us frequently and refilled our water anytime it slipped below 3/4 filled. Our food was hot and tasted very fresh. No matter what you order, you will be impressed. I would recommend this place to any couple looking for a great date night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, great serviceEmilyVIPDined on 6/6/2014My husband, 4-yr-old, and I dined here while visiting San Diego. Our server was excellent- made great recommendations, played a bit with our daughter, jovial throughout our meal. There was a very large party (30+ people) in the restaurant as well, but we never felt overlooked. The only disappointment was that my ravioli was clearly store-bought rather than scratch-made. With so many other Italian restaurants nearby, I was surprised. The rest of the meal, however, was very good- especially the flourless chocolate torte! Very yummy!Special Features:
- mixed experiencecatfuzzDined on 5/31/2014Made our reservation to celebrate a birthday Saturday eve- very busy and noisy. Seating is very tight. Had to hug our table to avoid injury from the speeding wait staff as they flew by. Staff were cordial but clearly wanted to clear us out in a hurry to make room for the next. Food was delicious authentic Italian. They forgot the birthday even though they were told when the reservation was made.Special Features:
- Great goodFoodcomaDined on 5/31/2014The food was delicious and I thought that it was a well-priced menu. There is a lot to choose from. It is not a good place for groups unless to make reservations since it's a smaller restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find!HappydinerDined on 5/30/2014We took some out of town friends here and were very pleased that everyone loved it. We all used to live up North & this place reminded us of North Beach in S.F. The salads were very good, the pasta & seafood was excellent & we found a good wine. No room for dessert but next time we will save some room for sure! I look forward to returning with other friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- why cocky waiter?foodie4sureVIPDined on 5/23/2014Ate at Asti on a Friday night at 6:30, with a ball game in town. (thankfully the Padres are not goods, so many no shows at game) and was worried about the hussle and traffic, not happening. Got to pull right in front and valet the car, so no parking challenges at all. Went in and had the front window table (best table in house) Our waiter introduced himself 3X (almost a joke, but it was NOT)........place was busy but not packed. The menu was extensive, and lots of options. 4 people, all appetizers, salads and entre's were top shelf, Awesome in every way.......but the waiter. He brought the wrong calamari appetizer, we said nothing. He served the salads to the wrong people......every one of them dinner was good. Out of spaceSpecial Features:
- The following 388 reviews are from the Asti Ristorante reviews archive.
- Tuscan GemVegasjoe57VIPDined on 5/16/2014Thought I was back in Tuscany, sipping fine Brunelllo, followed by a Super Tuscan, dining on fresh Caprese, Veal chop, and awesome pasta.Special Features:
- Great RestaurantLeeSD92103Dined on 5/10/2014Excellent food and outstanding service!! It was my mother-in-law's birthday and they even brought out a birthday dessert complete with song. Excellent evening, will definitely return soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always!KatieVIPDined on 4/26/2014I always eat here whenever I come to San Diego! It has an amazing menu, probably the best service in town, and so much fun. Right in the heart of the Gas Lamp District.... Not one to be missed!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Meal!AlanVIPDined on 4/26/2014The food was excellent. Our server was first-class. Can't wait to go back.
- The Heart of the GaslampCarlyVIPDined on 4/15/2014Our server Jordan provided great customer service, but I was not crazy about my dish(es). I ordered the Sea Scallops and Crab Pasta and the Sea scallops were undercooked and I sent my entrée back. I then ordered the Pasta and Shrimp in Marinara sauce it was just average. I’m not sure if I would dine here again.Special Features:
- srodskiVIPDined on 4/12/2014Excellent every time! Of the many visits we have never been disappointed.Special Features:
- Great foodJan1971VIPDined on 4/7/2014We had a group of 5 with us and everyone was fully pleased with their selections. We plan to come back here during the BIO convention in June 2014Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ItalianOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/4/2014We found this restaurant in our San Diego top 10 book. And it was fantastic! We all enjoyed everything. Also kid friendly. Perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not worth the driveLunabelle1Dined on 3/25/2014The food was sub par, the service was awful, I am allergic to butter and mentioned that from the start. Of corse they brought me pasta loaded with butter instead of EVO... It was as though the waiter did not give a damn. Why should I be surprised... A big fail.... The oysters were fresh and the beef carpaccio ...Special Features:
- Excellent food and stellar servicerkr1854Dined on 3/22/2014The food was excellent, wonderful lamb with raspberry red wine reduction sauce! Davide, our waiter, made fine recommendations and was attentive. Good wine list. We had to change tables due to staff bumping into my wife repeatedly while waiting on a large party adjacent to our table. We had a reservation, so this should not have been needed - but it was. After the move, all went smooth.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but pricey for ItalianMuledaddyVIPDined on 3/15/2014Located in the heart of Gaslamp, this is an italian place that appears to be upscale. Food was good, but I felt overpriced particularly when you consider that Little Italy is steps away. It is in a great location right in Gaslamp, steps from the convention center. Good Italian food in the $20-$35 range for a pasta dish and 15-20 for a pizza.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect spotJohnFVIPDined on 3/13/2014Asti is an excellent italian restaurant in the Gadlight district. Service was very good and dinner was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I loved this place - it wasSDLocalDined on 3/7/2014I loved this place - it was relaxed but elegant and the service was top notch. The Zuppa di Pesce del Golfo was amazing - Cioppino is one of my favorite dishes. Our table also enjoyed the Chilean Sea Bass special. We will definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nothing to write home about.DavidDined on 3/1/2014Oysters on the half shell were full of small pieces of shell and not very tasteful. Other oysters I've had on the west coast were very tasty so I'm not sure what happened to these oysters. I had the bass and my partner had the swordfish. Bass was excellently prepared but the sauce was too salty. Swordfish was very good. The vegetables on both plates were also very good.
- Asti - mehhappygalDined on 2/22/2014I tend to visit Asti when I am in San Diego. This time was not great; dirty silverware to begin with, lack of bread til mid meal and a special that was overcooked and lacked any kind of interest. One would think lobster fettucine would be good but the lobster must have been boiling for hours because it was tough and barely chewable. It was pretty disappointing. Our waiter was good but he couldn't make up for the other issues.
- good pastaChowHoundVIPDined on 2/21/2014We had a great dinner. My husband had a pasta carbonara in Siciliy that he uses as his gold standard. This is the first time he has found one comparable. I had a pappardelle alla vodka with crab and scallops. The scallops were excellent. I had the special salad of heirloom tomatoes, buffalo and parma. They dress it tableside with olive oil, balsamic and black pepper, very tasty. The portions are large, the service crisp and attentive. The only negative, and it's a slight negative, was the pasta fagoli, it's not what we are accustom too, it tasted predominately of bell peppers. My husband ate it all anyway, the soup was good, just not what we think of as pasta fagoli. The red velvet cake and coffees were good also.Special Features:
- Outstanding as UsualLtDenVIPDined on 2/17/2014Been dining here since 1999 and every meal has been consistently outstanding. Was a bit disappointed this trip since it was apparent that the hostess was not checking Open Table reservations where we clearly made a request for an indoor table. We eventually we seated in close quarters with two other 2-tops.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Horrible experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2014I chose this restaurant because it was recommended on opentable and I read the reviews. This place was awful, I wanted to bring my wife to a nice Italian restaurant and couldn't believe the quality of food they were serving. The entrees were about $30 dollars apiece and at that price the food should be at a expected level, NOT. All of the food I received was pre-cook and heated up for my order. I told the manager that I felt my roasted potatoes were old and dried out and he responded that they had been made at 1oclock in the afternoon, it was 9pm. My string beans were dark and wilted and scallops were over done. As for my wife her pasta noodles were mushy and no where near
- sweetheart214sweetheart214Dined on 2/14/2014excellent food, excellent service. you will need a reservation very busy on Valentines Day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnavailableTravelerDined on 2/13/2014I had a coupon so chose Asti but when I arrived they didn't have my reservation. No available table in outside dining area and people weren't moving. I saw a table next door at Panvino (?) Italian Cucina and had the most amazing Italian experience! Skip Asti and eat at the authentic Italian owned restaurant next door. Gave Asti two stars just because others were eating and staying but I didn't eat there due to mixup of reservation.Special Features:
- Excellent DinnerBridgetDined on 2/13/2014Went for dinner, great food, not crowded, excellent service, would highly recommend you try it!Special Features: