728 Fifth Avenue
San Diego, CA 92101Neighborhood:
Downtown / Gaslamp
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.astisandiego.com/
- Phone: 6192328844x
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday - Thursday: 11:00am - 11:00pm
Friday - Saturday: 11:00am - 12:00am
Happy Hour: 3:00pm - 6:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, European, Italian
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Catering Menu - Please call for details.
- Private Party Facilities: Semi private dining available for small and large groups. Please call 619.306-4465 for details.
- Private Party Contact: Marcela Davies 619-306-4465x
- Special Events: Groups and large parties have enjoyed Asti's accommodations for over 19 years. You will find that Asti's staff will take care of your group and special event from prior arrangements, throughout the dinner/event to following up.
A word from Asti Ristorante
Asti, located in the heart of San Diego's Historic Gaslamp Quarter, has been providing guests with an exquisite fine-dining experience since 1994. Watch the passersby as you dine out on the patio for a pleasant shaded lunch or while indulging in a candlelight dinner. Come on inside to experience the warm, elegant ambiance of the dining room. For the convenience of our guests, Asti can also arrange transportation to and from the restaurant.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Asti Ristorante - Best Restaurants in Downtown / Gaslamp ›
Asti Ristorante reviews from OpenTable diners
55 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (21)great for outdoor dining (19)special occasion (19)fit for foodies (16)romantic (15)good for groups (12)notable wine list (11)great for lunch (10)late-night find (8)hot spot (6)kid-friendly (5)great for brunch (2)scenic view (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Bravo!!!PEMMDDined on 10/12/2014I thoroughly enjoyed my visit(s). The Osso Buco was excellent. The service was attentive but not intrusive. I liked it so much that I went back two days later for the Cioppino. It was divine. The broth was so delicate. I wish that I lived in San diego so that I could visit this gem on a regular basis.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ItalianOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/12/2014Been going here for 15 years, never disappointed!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- localDined on 10/10/2014The waiter kept pushing us to order "specials", which were on the regular menu. Clearly the most expensive and "touristy" selections. We are locals and don't appreciate that!!!Special Features:
- Awesome and AuthenticdinksDined on 10/9/2014Authentic atmosphere and great Italian food. 2nd visit and would return again and again. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 10/4/2014main course was good, but the side vegetable was the worst I have ever had at any restaurant. The green beans were limp and brown and tasteless. Service was to be desired. The waiter was rude and got a few things wrong.
- Good food, understaffedQuincy56Dined on 9/28/2014We went here on a Sunday night before the Paul McCartney show at Petco Park. There were several problems with our service, like our salad being delivered to the wrong table, and that table getting billed for our wine. We got a larger salad (we had ordered one split for 2) and free desert, so that helped make up for it a bit. The server said some people hadn't shown up for work that evening. The food was good, maybe not quite as hot as we would like, but tasty. Not inexpensive.Special Features:
- Outstanding Serviceluv2dineDined on 9/24/2014It was a party of 8 and we got there at different times but the service was unwavering! My dad worked at Mr. A's for over 25 years and he loved the service here...we all did! I will definitely come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Service!JaimeVIPDined on 9/24/2014Had a delicious food, great wine selection, very good value and pristine service!Special Features:
- Food, wine & service greatBaseballladyDined on 9/23/2014Great place with excellent food and service. Best canoli ever! Reservations are a must.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Little ItalyRusch5Dined on 9/21/2014Nice place tucked away in San Diego's Gas Lamp District. Food was excellent service was good. The menu almost had too much to choose from but the waiter new it well and all of his reccomendations were right on the money. Asti is worth the price. We were in a large group, but this would be a nice place for a romantic dinner as well.Special Features:
- MikesBirthdayDined on 9/15/2014The food was amazing, the service was incredibly great, the people were Fabulous! Absolutely Perfect!Special Features:
- A Nice Italian MealOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/31/2014We really had a great meal at Asti. Fantastic bottle of wine and delicious food. I ordered the special of the day that was a seafood pasta with a creamy pesto sauce and it was a lot of food! It had scallops, shrimp and half of a lobster tail. Really great!Special Features:
- Great seafood lunchrepeatcustDined on 8/30/2014First time here and our lunches were very enjoyable. One entree was the Agnolotti d’Aragosta lobster and ricotta ravioli with lobster sauce. The other was the Linguine con Scampi Piccata which consisted of linguine with 4 large shrimp and one grilled prawn on top. The white wine and lemon sauce had capers and mushrooms and was very tasty. Our waiter was attentive and his assistant replenished our water and other needs. Since this was early afternoon, there was no rush for us to finish our meal.Special Features:
- A Study in ContrastsTime4SecondsDined on 8/23/2014There were so many things to like about Asti: the bruschetta (sp?) was to die for, all veggies incredibly fresh like they'd just been picked out back. Other dishes were just so-so:angel hair pasta with scallops & shrimp had, at best, 3 of each, but an obscene amount of pasta to feed 1 of us the next night. Service was really sub-par: yes, it was a busy Sat. night, but our waiter had to come back thrice to remind himself which salad I ordered...was equally forgetful about my sister's wine selections...write it down if you can't remember! Got the food very quickly though. The hostess was also bad: she checked us in, then went on to cancel our reservations as "no shows,'' so we had to submit the receipt to Open Table to get dining points.Special Features:
- Interesting but outdatedTigerTrippinDined on 8/15/2014My wife and I were visiting SD and decided to eat at Asti since we enjoy good Italian food. Overall, Asti was okay and Chef/Manager "Allen" was quite personable, but the place seemed dated. Service was somewhat slow, perhaps taking a page from Italy where dining is a social event, but, when we observed the restaurant, the staff seemed unorganized and chaotic. The food is "Northern Italian" but with an SD flair with the seafood; I had the seafood mixed grill which was quite delicious. The downside, the clams were cold and the grilled Salmon was dry. My wife had the Prosciutto wrapped chicken which she enjoyed. I doubt we will return to Asti with all the options for Italian in SD.
- Lived up to reviews!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/12/2014We found this authentic Italian Restaurant online and followed the reviews right to the door. We were pleasantly surprised by the charming ambience, friendly, attentive wait staff and delicious meals. The portions were generous, fresh and tasty Italian! It reminded us of Italy. We ate inside to avoid the over crowded, bustling street in the Gaslamp. We were not rushed and felt welcome to linger over our meal. Definately worth the visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great lamb shankLawyerdinerVIPDined on 8/9/2014My lamb shank was very good. GF's swordfish was good as well. Restaurant is right in the middle of the gas lamp. Great location. The valet is very pricey at $15.00.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Huge Portionsdamoses21VIPDined on 8/6/2014The bread was fantastic! I ordered pappadelle pasta with shrimp in a vodka cream sauce, very good and my husband ordered the seafood linguine with a spicy tomato sauce which was huge, tons of seafood, I liked his better. We will definitely go back.
- terrible serviceJasonVIPDined on 8/2/2014lunch took over 2 hours. The food took a long time to come and I sat there for over half an hour once I had finished my drink. Our waiter was MIA that whole time, even though I asked for him three time.
- First Time VisitSweetpea32VIPDined on 7/26/2014My husband and I went to Asti while we were in town for Comic Con. The place was very energetic and people looked like they were having a good time. Our waiter was Mark and he was something of a character. Very lively and all over the place. My husband ordered the Lobster Florentine with alfredo sauce. His lobster and shrimp were over cooked and tough and his scallops were a little bit under cooked. Mark did offer to send his food back and replace it, but we were on a time crunch so my husband decided to eat it. But I thing Mark went back and let the chef know about my husband's food (I heard him yell). I had the lasagna and it was delicious and the bread was amazing! Overall, a good experience was had. Thanks for the food and memories.Special Features:
- EllenVIPDined on 7/24/2014The proprietor made it right by me when, after accidentally tossing my "take-home" box, he made me a new salmon salad to go. Nice service recovery.Special Features:
- s2artrVIPDined on 7/15/2014We had a delicious meal that was abundant enough for two to share. Service was outstanding. Server was very personable. We enjoyed Agel Hair Pasta with scallops and crab and am still tasting the delicious flavors. We were visitors to San Diego but would return in a minute when we have a return visit to San Diego.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- opentablefanVIPDined on 7/11/2014Best seafood pasta in San Diego, good for sharing it's enormous.Special Features:
- Nice italian restaurantBogdanDined on 7/4/2014Very tasty food and nice presentation. Good menu for kids as well.Special Features:
- The following 394 reviews are from the Asti Ristorante reviews archive.
- Great romantic nightOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/13/2014This place was absolutely amazing. My lady and I had a great waiter who checked on us frequently and refilled our water anytime it slipped below 3/4 filled. Our food was hot and tasted very fresh. No matter what you order, you will be impressed. I would recommend this place to any couple looking for a great date night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, great serviceEmilyVIPDined on 6/6/2014My husband, 4-yr-old, and I dined here while visiting San Diego. Our server was excellent- made great recommendations, played a bit with our daughter, jovial throughout our meal. There was a very large party (30+ people) in the restaurant as well, but we never felt overlooked. The only disappointment was that my ravioli was clearly store-bought rather than scratch-made. With so many other Italian restaurants nearby, I was surprised. The rest of the meal, however, was very good- especially the flourless chocolate torte! Very yummy!Special Features:
- mixed experiencecatfuzzDined on 5/31/2014Made our reservation to celebrate a birthday Saturday eve- very busy and noisy. Seating is very tight. Had to hug our table to avoid injury from the speeding wait staff as they flew by. Staff were cordial but clearly wanted to clear us out in a hurry to make room for the next. Food was delicious authentic Italian. They forgot the birthday even though they were told when the reservation was made.Special Features:
- Great goodFoodcomaDined on 5/31/2014The food was delicious and I thought that it was a well-priced menu. There is a lot to choose from. It is not a good place for groups unless to make reservations since it's a smaller restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find!HappydinerDined on 5/30/2014We took some out of town friends here and were very pleased that everyone loved it. We all used to live up North & this place reminded us of North Beach in S.F. The salads were very good, the pasta & seafood was excellent & we found a good wine. No room for dessert but next time we will save some room for sure! I look forward to returning with other friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- why cocky waiter?foodie4sureVIPDined on 5/23/2014Ate at Asti on a Friday night at 6:30, with a ball game in town. (thankfully the Padres are not goods, so many no shows at game) and was worried about the hussle and traffic, not happening. Got to pull right in front and valet the car, so no parking challenges at all. Went in and had the front window table (best table in house) Our waiter introduced himself 3X (almost a joke, but it was NOT)........place was busy but not packed. The menu was extensive, and lots of options. 4 people, all appetizers, salads and entre's were top shelf, Awesome in every way.......but the waiter. He brought the wrong calamari appetizer, we said nothing. He served the salads to the wrong people......every one of them dinner was good. Out of spaceSpecial Features:
- Tuscan GemVegasjoe57VIPDined on 5/16/2014Thought I was back in Tuscany, sipping fine Brunelllo, followed by a Super Tuscan, dining on fresh Caprese, Veal chop, and awesome pasta.Special Features:
- Great RestaurantLeeSD92103Dined on 5/10/2014Excellent food and outstanding service!! It was my mother-in-law's birthday and they even brought out a birthday dessert complete with song. Excellent evening, will definitely return soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always!KatieVIPDined on 4/26/2014I always eat here whenever I come to San Diego! It has an amazing menu, probably the best service in town, and so much fun. Right in the heart of the Gas Lamp District.... Not one to be missed!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Meal!AlanVIPDined on 4/26/2014The food was excellent. Our server was first-class. Can't wait to go back.
- The Heart of the GaslampCarlyVIPDined on 4/15/2014Our server Jordan provided great customer service, but I was not crazy about my dish(es). I ordered the Sea Scallops and Crab Pasta and the Sea scallops were undercooked and I sent my entrée back. I then ordered the Pasta and Shrimp in Marinara sauce it was just average. I’m not sure if I would dine here again.Special Features:
- srodskiVIPDined on 4/12/2014Excellent every time! Of the many visits we have never been disappointed.Special Features:
- Great foodJan1971VIPDined on 4/7/2014We had a group of 5 with us and everyone was fully pleased with their selections. We plan to come back here during the BIO convention in June 2014Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ItalianOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/4/2014We found this restaurant in our San Diego top 10 book. And it was fantastic! We all enjoyed everything. Also kid friendly. Perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not worth the driveLunabelle1Dined on 3/25/2014The food was sub par, the service was awful, I am allergic to butter and mentioned that from the start. Of corse they brought me pasta loaded with butter instead of EVO... It was as though the waiter did not give a damn. Why should I be surprised... A big fail.... The oysters were fresh and the beef carpaccio ...Special Features:
- Excellent food and stellar servicerkr1854Dined on 3/22/2014The food was excellent, wonderful lamb with raspberry red wine reduction sauce! Davide, our waiter, made fine recommendations and was attentive. Good wine list. We had to change tables due to staff bumping into my wife repeatedly while waiting on a large party adjacent to our table. We had a reservation, so this should not have been needed - but it was. After the move, all went smooth.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.