599 Thames Street
Newport, RI 02840Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.asterisknewport.com/
- Phone: 4018418833x
- Hours of Operation:
Open Wednesday-Sunday serving dinner at 5pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, French American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: John Bach-Sorensen
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Contact us for catering.
- Private Party Facilities: private parties available
- Private Party Contact: Tracy Bach-Sorensen 401835-5348x
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: Private lot behind building accommodates 4 cars. Parking available on Thames Street and Wellington Avenue. Please do not park in the Wellinton shopping plaza, they will tow. Parking also available at the corner of Thames and Simmons Street (4-5 spaces).
A word from Asterisk
Asterisk Restaurant & Bar is an upscale bistro located in the lower Thames Street area of Newport. Formerly a automobile service garage, the building has been transformed into a warm, ultra-hip, Manhattan style dining room and martini bar. The existing garage doors are open all summer long providing fresh air and sunshine. The cuisine is modern French Bistro and the lively bar stays open every evening until 1am.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Asterisk reviews from OpenTable diners
- Great foodNewportDinerDined on 5/9/2014We had the double bone in Lamb Chop and it was excellent. Well cooked with a very tasty demi glaze sauce. Accompanied by a peas salad and baby Kale vegetables as we opted out of the starch. Could not have been prepared better. We also had the cured meat plate as an appetizer (I think they called it a Salumi plate) to which we added gorgonzola cheese. The Prosciutto was very thinly slice in nearly melted in your mouth. The only down side to this place is the martini I ordered was $15 or $16. A bit much for this setting. We will definitely return.I would recommend this to a friend.
- EhhhioannitaDined on 5/7/2014Kind of awkward experience. They were renovating the restaurant, so there was wiring and untreated wood. There was one other table in the restaurant and a few people at the bar. The only service person was the bartender. They were out of two requested items from the bar. We saw our appetizer sitting and sitting at the kitchen window only a few feet away from us. Food was okay.
- Loved it!TiffanyDined on 4/12/2014The food and service was fantastic! The chef is so creative. I left my glasses there and was able to pick them up the next day. So the staff is very honest and kind. We will be back soon. It truly is a hidden gem in Newport.Special Features:
- Great food!CryG14Dined on 2/23/2014I went here during the off season so we were the only ones in the restaurant. The waitress was new so we could tell she was a little nervous but nonetheless the service was excellent. The atmosphere was comfortable and inviting. I can't explain how delicious the food was. I highly recommend the salmon and the pizzas.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Newport Star!DonnaDined on 2/19/2014We were treated like the only ones in the restaurant. Ali our server was outstanding! From the hot crispy bread to the donut creme brûlée the meal was fabulous. Alexi the chef prepared a 5 star meal for us. So good we returned the next night! Loved the ambiance-this was a gas station at one time!Special Features:
- Pricey cocktailsBlondesVIPDined on 2/15/2014My husband & I dined here a few weeks ago with friends, & we wondered why they would inflate the cocktail prices for Valentine's weekend. My very small Ketel martini was $15 & my husband's small Dewar's on the rocks was $11.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SatisfiedJamied4343Dined on 2/14/2014I really enjoyed my crispy salmon and the ambiance... only drawback was that we were seated near the coats in the corner, waitress did not give us bread (had to ask) and no one followed up with us as we left. Will maybe give it another try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overpriced, not worth itSalamDined on 2/14/2014The food is very overpriced compared to the quality. Service is okay, but it's worth the money! Do not choose this restaurant for special occasions!
- Memorable gem of a findTravDined on 12/31/2013My first impression upon entering was the size, it's quaint and intimate yet active and sociable. The garage conversion is left evident and adds to the charm and uniqueness of the space. It's quite entertaining to have open viewing of the kitchen at work as well. The food was good, yet for many it may be steeply priced which is why I checked 'special occasion' as a recommendation. I feel most will be happy with the outcome of this small gem in an area full of options.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I have been to Asterisk severalAElizabethDined on 12/31/2013I have been to Asterisk several times over the last 4/5 years. I have always enjoyed my experience there and have recommended the restaurant to people many times. This is the second New Years Eve dinner I have had there in the last three years. I will not be going back anytime soon. The restaurant was not crowded and we were being rushed out of there. On NYE I expect to enjoy a few drinks and an appetizer and my meal. Everything was rushed and we were told that everything would "take a long time". We were done within an hour. The Hostess was extremely rude upon our arrival and departure. Again, I understand nobody enjoys working on NYE and that restaurants tend to be busy, this was not the case. We were definitely disappointed.
- We had a great night!EileenDined on 12/31/2013There was something on the menu for everyone, the meal was delicious, the service great and the cocktails were fantastic. We went for New Years Eve with our three teen age children and had a really nice round table. The restaurant was youthful without being too young.Special Features:
- Great food - no ambiencecmrmVIPDined on 12/29/2013It was a rainy night in Newport and we were literally the only diners in the restaurant. This is one large room with 2 garage-type doors - and there was a leak on one side which filled a bucket with water while we ate our meal. It's a little awkward being the only diners - but we made the best of it. The food was very good - decided to go for the crispy salmon, which was served with mushroom risotto, which had great texture. Also, the tri-color salad was exceptional. For dessert, we split the molten lava cake which was nothing special - a little too gooey for my taste. Not a romantic restaurant but decent food.Special Features:
- Good drinks, great salmonMIchaelDined on 11/24/2013There was a reservation mix-up but the staff was very gracious about it, our server was very friendly and engaging all night. The decor is on the minimal side, the restaurant is one big room so it may get noisey when full. The food is great - I had the Crispy Salmon and it was amazing - perfectly crisped on one side, tender and moist inside, I wish I could make it this good at home. The dishes are all artfully presented but not pretentious. The Tuna Tartare appetizer was very tastey but a little over-sauced, almost overwhelming the flavor of the tuna. I'd definitely recommend this place to a friend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Glad we wentlivsomaDined on 11/9/2013My husband & I had noticed Asterik on a previous trip to Newport so when we saw it as an option for Restaurant week we made reservations. We are so happy to find another great place to enjoy a grown up dining experience. We had the menu choices for the promotion and enjoyed everything. It gave us the opportunity to check out the fare without spending alot of money in case we were not pleased The hostess was very pleasant and even when the pace picked up with dining guest she wasn't flustered or stressed looking. Our waiter was attentive and very personable but did not hover. There is and opening where the chef and his staff can be seen preparing the meals and they made it seem effortless to accomodate the many diners. Great Evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First visit for usRIvisitorDined on 11/6/2013We went to Asterik during restaurant week_a good time to try a never before visited restaurant. There were limited choices on this special menu but both_Osso Bucco and the swordfish were excellent. First course salmon and salad were great. Even the house wine was good. Our server Courtney was terrific. The meal ended with a tasty bread pudding. We definitely will go again.Special Features:
- Restaurant was fairly empty/quiet-OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/6/2013Restaurant was fairly empty/quiet- surprising for restaurant week. Service was friendly and helpful. Salads were great., entrees were good. Great drink menu, though pricey. Overall it was a nice night out.Special Features:
- Great Find !!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/3/2013Asterisk is located a little further down Thames Street away from the hustle bustle of the other shops and restaurants. Dined here on a sunday night in off season and it was virtually empty. Cool atmosphere, used to be a garage !! Waitress was very personable and attentive. Had the salmon dish on her recommendation, which was EXCELLENT ! It is pan seared and then baked, placed over a mushroom risotto which was perfectly prepared and then the final touch a cabernet sauce which I wish they sold so I could have brought it back home !!!! Great food options and well prepared ,reasonably priced - glad I came across this find !!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant weekLaurieSDined on 11/2/2013We chose the prefix menu for restaurant week . Our waitress said that everyone who had the Osto Bucco? Raved, whole party ordered this dish. a braised beef with roasted vegetables and mashed potatoes. It was great like a Barvarian style. Malbec wine was a good complement. It was my birthday celebration. The service was rushed and "sloppy" in that the wAitress threw silverware on the table while looking at other customer tables. She didn't give us her full attention while at our table. At the end of the night they were busy breaking down the dining room and didn't offer coffee or ask if we wanted anything else. We will go back for the food but will remember that we have to fend for ourselves if we need to be served.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food in a quiet area of townAndyDined on 10/29/2013We dined at Asterisk on Oct 29th. We were one of only a few diners that evening so we received excellent personal attention. The food was outstanding and the atmosphere was very pleasant, particularly with the number of people in the restaurant while we were there. Definitely recommend to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentJagsDined on 9/20/2013Made reservation on friend recommendation, We were a bit nervous when we approached because it wasn't very crowded, but it was because it was off season and most likely the price point is a bit more than the touristy restaurants surrounding it. 4 people, birthday dinner, all of us LOVED our meals. Appetizers were fantastic, the sushi appetizers were some if the best weve ever tasted. The staff was great in guiding us and we had a great, memorable meal. Highly recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GemnicksDined on 9/6/2013Asterisk is off the beaten path in Newport. However, it seems to be a place for both locals and tourists who do their research. We had a new waitress. Having grown up in a family restaurant biz, all the cousins worked different jobs. We know how to treat staff, particularly new ones. What was impressive was the waitress made no pretenses. She told us up front she was new to the place. She was good, and will be great soon. My wife had a special of seared scallops and shrimp w/ a spinach/mushroom risotto. I consider risotto a good indicator of a chefs skills. The dish was superb. I went w/ 2 appetizers, mussels and an order of lobster/crab/shrimp fritters w/ a nice aioli. They were both very good. I highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- Great menu and many choices...maybeOpenTable Diner Since 2001VIPDined on 9/1/2013Great menu and many choices...maybe too many. Dishes were tasty but presentation was not precise. Perhaps focus on doing fewer dishses better. Lobster entree had tons of meat and tasted great but had a huge blob of sour cream in the middle, which was not in the description by the waiter and overwhelmed the dish.
- Sunday at AsteriskOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/1/2013Really great place-excellent service, very good food, and funky set up. Had 7 PM reservation, which was easily changed to 8, at the last minute. Let us enjoy Newport for an extra hour. Server was outstanding-she had passion for food, drink, and service. She was very helpful with my date, who had a special request. Very nice crowd-genteel, well-heeled, and the only "wanna-bees" quickly left. Too classy for them! Beer selection was small but outstanding-shows that quality can overtake quantity. Really liked the garage doors, opening into the street, and the open windows in dining room and kitchen-very relaxed feel.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for the two of us!Meant2BDined on 9/1/2013We were a little apprehensive given the mixed reviews, but in further reviewing them, we saw that the less favorable reviews were old and the positive ones were current. So we took the chance and were glad we did. We felt welcomed right away and were immediately seated at our reservation time. Our server was prompt and attentive throughout the evening, made some great suggestions, and answered all of our questions. The selection of appetizers, main courses and desserts were original. We had the pork loin wrapped in bacon and the Belgian drunken beef and both were delicious and well presented. We were never rushed, but also never waiting, so it turned out to be an excellent choice and we would certainly go again and recommend to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very GoodjaydeejayVIPDined on 8/26/2013We had eaten at Asterisk four years ago, and had an outstanding meal, so when we returned to Newport, we made sure to make a reservation there. It is a bit away from the very busy wharf area, and so it is quieter than most restaurants in that area. Judging by the mixed reviews, we were concerned that the quality of food and service had deteriorated from what we had remembered, but this was definitely not the case. We dined on a Monday night and there were only four other couples in the restaurant at that time (?) so it was very quiet. My husband and I had the chef's specials of the evening; My husband had swordfish, and I had pesto gnocchi and scallops. The gnocchi were very light; not chewy or gummy. Service was outstanding.Special Features:
- Excellent but short staffedOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/17/2013I would rate this five star across the board except on our recent visit the kitchen was short staffed for some reason (crew doing final plate prep) so our entree was not served until an hour 45 minutes after arrival. Far too long. Everyone else appeared to be waiting as long also. Not sure why someone wasn't called in as backup since it was a prime Saturday night in mid August. Food was great but this marred our visit.Special Features:
- Loved everything about the it.BJacksonVIPDined on 8/17/2013Really enjoyed sitting at the bar chatting and laughing with Alan, your bartender from Ireland. He's the best!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find!VSVLDined on 8/16/2013Excellent food with creative presentation. Small but very good craft beer selection. Attentive service. A bit further down on Thames than most restaurants and shops, so the atmosphere is more relaxed (no swarms of bar hoppers). Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Newport GemOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/10/2013Everything was great, food, wine, service. Lots of good energy and perfect for a nice summer night, we sat inside but the large open doorways made us feel as if we were out side, there isn't a bad seat in the place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Won't go back!HeatherDined on 8/10/2013The service was good, but that's it. Our food was terrible. Seafood fritters completely lacked seafood, were more like fried dough balls. I got a shrimp and scallop w risotto special and it was inedible. Scallops were TINY, both lacked flavor. Risotto wasn't cooked properly and the sauce tasted funny and didn't pair well at all with the idea of the dish. Husbands surf and turf was cooked properly, but lacked any flavor and seasoning. The mashed potatoes were just that. Mashed potatoes. No butter, salt, pepper, nothing. Incredible disappointing and $150 completely wasted!!!!
- We had a great meal there.psperDined on 8/10/2013Less noisy on a Saturday night than restaurants in the center of the tourist area. Free parking available as opposed to up to $20 in the busier area. We were very pleased to get great service and an excellent meal. This place is a winner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lunch with a friendluncheonwomanDined on 8/4/2013Being with a friend, who I hadn't seen in a long while, the atmosphere was perfect. It was comfortable seating. We were able to converse comfortably, because of the friendly noise level. Our waiter was attentive, without being pushy. He knew we were there to converse and enjoy our lunch and he let us do that professionally. It was pleasant all around. The food was excellent, well presented and tasted great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FaceliftLuvgoodfoodandwineVIPDined on 8/2/2013I first ate here 15 summers ago. We returned many times a summer for a decade. Then we stopped. It was tired, old and done. IT'S BACK AND BETTER THAN before. New decor and the owner seems to be back in the kitchen. A new sushi chef mans his own open area where 3 seats offer wonderful watching. It is clean, delicious and we will return. Best part is that it's a little off the beaten path of the crazy Newport weekend crowd and parking is easier and it's also a nice walk from most areas.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lots of different menu choices!NightowlbrandyVIPDined on 7/28/2013Really enjoyed 2 apps of Brie & Gorgonzola cheese plate & cold fruit/rhubarb soup & then the lobster ++ pizza w thin crust & lots of cheese. Interesting & eclectic cocktails as well. Will certainly try to return when back in Newport!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just off the beaten pathJaxreviewVIPDined on 7/21/2013Unusual setting (former garage), open kitchen, vibrant bar, and dynamic menu!
- Perfect place for our groupSolarDined on 7/18/2013Eight of us for dinner, fairly late by American standards (9pm). Nice staff, nice atmosphere, a bit noisy from the bar area. Food was terrific, good wine list and we all had a great time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Newport - "Off the beaten path"MamieVIPDined on 7/13/2013We have going to this restaurant for several years and the menu choices, food preparation and location are very good. Great "off the beaten path" spot in downtown Newport. Well worth the visitSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A KeeperOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/4/2013We were here on July 4th, NOT a day to expect much of a restaurant, and why we were impressed. Service was extraordinary, from the attentive waitress to those serving water and bread with th left hand behind their back. Perfect. Carpaccio appetizer would not pass in Venice, yet the interpretation was perfectly served with the right amount of garnish and sauce. Salmon was fine, yet the risotto base was perfect, as were the mussels, well steamed with no overpowering garlic presence. Wine list is way user friendly, from $22.00 to $200+. Before dinner cocktails are extensive as the bar is properly stocked... Pims anyone? Decor is Newport shabby chic, and works with white tablecloths and a great dinner soundtrack. Just perfect.Special Features:
- Personal attentionhplmVIPDined on 6/29/2013If you want to eat at Asterisk, make sure the owner is there, it makes a big difference in the quality of your meal. The owner is from Denmark and has a very rounded background in cooking, can make you just about anything you want. They recently added, on the weekend, a raw bar and sushi bar, both very high quality, prepared by a Japanese chef. One pet peeve all the red wines are served too warm, a pitty since there are some unusual items to be found sold at reasonable prices.Special Features:
- A nice surprise way down ThamesRhodyJoJoDined on 6/22/2013Asterisk is a bit off the beaten path in Newport, about as far down Thames as you can get, but definitely worth it. Asterisk had several openings on a Saturday night while the other restaurants on the wharfs were fully booked. The cocktails were creative and delicious, as were the appetizers and entrees. The service was very good. We did have to wait a little while for a second drink, as the restaurant had gotten busier by that time, but all food came out in a timely fashion. Nice bar, too! Fill up here, and enjoy the stroll walk back to the America's Cup Avenue area and hotels.Special Features: