6641 Old Dominion Drive
McLean, VA 22101Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.assaggiosteria.com/
- Phone: (703) 918-0080
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:30am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Domenico Cornacchia
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Customized, themed events.
A word from Assaggi Osteria
Domenico Cornacchia, chef/proprietor of Assaggi Osteria, taps into ages of ancestral Italian cooking each time he steps into his kitchen and brings a rich love of the cuisine that he so skillfully nurtured through the years. “Assaggi means tastings in Italian,” explains Domenico, “The concept of my menu is based on a variety of items that may be ordered in smaller portions.” Before deciding to pursue his dream of operating his own restaurant, Domenico was corporate executive chef and partner at Café Milano, for more than 15 years. His culinary umbrella also covered Café Milano’s two sister restaurants, Sette Bello in Clarendon, VA., and Sette Osteria in Dupont Circle. For those who love Italian cuisine, Assaggi Osteria features homemade pasta’s, fresh seafood, veal and scrumptious beef. Assaggi Osteria sources whole fresh fish from worldwide sustainable sources,offering the finest bounty the sea has to offer. Produce is purchased from Amish farms and all desserts are homemade.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Assaggi Osteria reviews from OpenTable diners
118 reviews since August 1, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (75)fit for foodies (54)special occasion (45)notable wine list (41)great for lunch (30)romantic (29)good for groups (23)great for outdoor dining (14)kid-friendly (9)great for brunch (8)hot spot (8)late-night find (7)vibrant bar scene (6)scenic view (1)Show More
- Too expensive for what you getDukelVIPDined on 11/22/2014We have been to Assaggi several times but no more. The food can be good but is always overpriced. The $12 mixed salad starter? I had a better mixed salad out of a bag from the grocery store two days earlier for $3.89. Just one example.
- Fabulous lunch findOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/18/2014Our office enjoyed a rare group lunch outing and felt very pampered by the delicious food, great friendly service and moderate prices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Good Foodccc1978Dined on 11/9/2014Assaggi Osteria is a very good restaurant that always come through. The restaurant regularly changes its menu and offers nightly specials, which provides a nice variety, especially if you are a restaurant regular. A nice ambiance, variety and very good food. You can't go wrong with Assaggi!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Coasting a bitSvanvanDined on 11/2/2014We used to love Assaggi and went often. Now I would say that it has lost a bit of its edge. We went for my son's birthday and because it is truffle season which my husband loves and waits for every year. We had been to Fiola Mare the week before, and have to say that Fiola Mare was much more upfront about the price per gram -- here they just decided how much to put on the risotto and the price appeared only on the bill. Obviously, you know if you love truffles that they aren't cheap, but it was the principle of the thing that bothered me. The service was slow, they didn't know who got what, my calamari were cold and I had to send them back to be warmed up. In general, good but not like it used to be.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First Time Visit - A FindSoutherngent67VIPDined on 10/31/2014Recommended by a wine store in McLean, and understand why - very good Italian food and a lengthy wine list, with many by the glass and very nice, Quartino and Half Liters options for each glass. Noted that many diners were opting these choices, but bottles were too prevalent. Excellent choices of pastas, fish and meats along with interesting salads.Special Features:
- dining as iy used to bePoppyDined on 10/31/2014Since I am older, I have "been around". One of the best and most innovative menus I have experienced. Service was great and not because they hovered (which they did not), but was delivered without you noticing it. I will now be a regular.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingNumber1inMcLeanVIPDined on 10/30/2014Nice decor but salads overpriced and entrees lackluster. A very big disappointment.
- One of my favoritesCandygirlDined on 10/28/2014The food at Assaggi Osteria is always flavorful. dishes to recommend would include any of their risottos, garganelli, and their prosciutto and mozzarella platter. However, quality didn't seem as good this time around; the mozzarella was not as soft, and the prosciutto was full of bone/cartilage? Service remains spotty; some waiters are wonderful, others bordering on unfriendly. Certainly not as attentive as I would like e.g. waiting five minutes for someone to come and grate fresh Parmesan on your pasta??Special Features:
- DisappointinglovediningoutVIPDined on 10/25/2014The restaurant was relatively empty for a Saturday evening. Our waiter was knowledgeable and friendly. The food was disappointing as is the wine list for a moderately priced wine. I had the mushroom and pumpkin risotto with scallops. The taste was off in the risotto and the scallops were shriveled and appeared to have been sitting under a heat lamp for too long. My husband finished mine because he hates food waste. He ordered a Hawaiian fish which he ordered rare and it was served medium well. He said it was okay but not anything he would order again. We had 2 appetizers both lacked any flavor or wow factor. Overall, we will not return for dinner. The server was nice so we didn't complain about the food. BTW, we loved Assaggi in Bethesda!!
- It's good, but not greatFoodler123Dined on 10/21/2014Nothing outstanding about this restaurant. While their food is good, we've had better. Also felt super rushed. One of our members was running late and they would keep coming over to ask to take our order. The moment she arrived, they rushed over and started taking orders, barely giving her time to look at the menu. This is not the first time it's happened. It's not a busy restaurant, there were empty tables, so not sure why we were being rushed. If this restaurant is to resemble a European restaurant, then they're doing it wrong.I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentDarnedifinoVIPDined on 10/20/2014Entrees were very good, ranging from Cioppino to spigola. A grilled octopus appetizer, a little charred and only so, so. Figs appetizer delicious, but very small. Wine list looks very comprehensive, with selections in a wide price range. We ordered from the low end and were disappointed with our choice, a $40 Barbera d'Alba. The waiter initially brought us the wrong bottle, but we caught the mistake in time.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 10/18/2014I first would like to say that we and our friends are fortunate in that we are able to dine in very nice restaurants 3 or 4 nights a week; however, we were very disappointed in this restaurant, as we always enjoyed Assaggi in Bethesda. The service was very slow, the food not very good -- the waiter was pushing the dover sole and grouse, the latter of which my friend ordered and did not like, and the branzino was not only tasteless but like a half portion it was so small -- and the bill was very high compared to better restaurants we've patronized. It is not one we would go back to nor recommend.
- favorite restaurantnicknameVIPDined on 10/15/2014food alway the best ingredients and wonderfully prepared - we are sorry the Bethesda location closed - dinning room comfortable - service helpful - visit every time we are in the areaSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant ok but priceymrljDined on 10/3/2014We were given a table in the 'veranda' which is impersonal and does not have any character. We ordered 2 cauliflower soups with truffled toasted bread, 2 pasta dishes and 1/2 carafe of wine 90 $. Too much. My black tagliolinis with crab meat were very good, my husband's risotto (24$) with wild mushrooms were average. The service was ok, but not up to the level of the restaurant.
- ViennaWeeneeVIPDined on 9/27/2014As always, the food was delicious but also as usual someone with too much to drink did not use their "inside voice." A bit of sound-absorbing ceilling would really help this restaurant. And my second perpetual complaint, it's almost impossible to find a decent wine at less than $40 a bottle, and a good wine at less than $60? -- fawrgedaboudit. We go only when we have a discount coupon to offset the unecessarily high wine prices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very goodyumchaVIPDined on 9/26/2014right portion and fresh. home made ciabata is very good.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/24/2014have dined there a number of times, one of few "fine dining" places in mclean. went this time for "lobster night" special -- a bit disappointing for those of us familiar with simple, more flavorful lobster preparation. service, on the other hand, was particularly nice this visit. .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 9/20/2014The lunch special is very nice and we loved the breadbasket.Special Features:
- What a great placePacoVIPDined on 9/19/2014Superb food, first class service and a lovely atmosphereSpecial Features:
- Never disappointsjiffer99VIPDined on 9/18/2014We live close by, so it's one of our neighborhood favorites. The wine list includes many wines available in various quantity increments. The food never disappoints, and the bread and olive oil are excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ReneReneDined on 9/18/2014Food and wait-staff were excellent; serving-size just right--not overwhelming.Special Features:
- Surprising experiencetracyinvaDined on 9/16/2014This was our first time here and we didn't know what to expect. We were pleasantly surprised by the quality of the food and the flavors. Will definitely go again.Special Features:
- Middlin'satisfiedVIPDined on 9/12/2014Everything was ok, service, food, setting. Nothing exceptional.Special Features:
- Great Neighborhood TreasureLisaMVIPDined on 9/9/2014Assaggi Osteria is a constant in McLean. The Razor Clams were a special treat not often found. I had the Branzino which was sweet and fresh and boned at table side. We enjoyed our meal, and will be back!Special Features:
- MimiDined on 9/7/2014Our previous experiences at Assaggi Osteria were positive. Not so much on Sunday evening. Sea bass was bland, at best.My fellow diners complained that the rabbit tasted too 'gamey'. Ravioli was just so so instead of mouth watering. On a positive note, Antipasto platter was nicely done, bread was excellent, olive oil delish. This restaurant usually hits all the high notes. I'm giving it the benefit of the doubt as having had an off night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A PleasureDKA1Dined on 9/6/2014It was a pleasure to dine at Assaggi. The service was excellent. My halibut did not have as much flavor as I would prefer, but it was very good. My husband's Orata was incredibly moist and delicious. They debone the whole fish right there next to your table, so you do have to keep an eye out for bones. Delicious desert (don't recall the name) was vanilla ice cream in the center, chocolate mousse and rolled in powdered chocolate.Special Features:
- Wonderful evening!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/5/2014We had a fabulous dinner at Assaggi! The dishes are plated and executed beautifully! This is the real italian food, not a typical Americanized fare! The Chef is happy to accommodate any requests and also offers a tasting menu that we are looking forward to trying next time we visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisapppointingOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 9/5/2014Incredibly noisy inside on a Friday evening. Required shouting across a two person table. Food very good but service indifferent and brusque.
- Good Italian restaurantnonicknameDined on 9/5/2014I am one of three freinds who get together for lunch every so often. We always come back to Assagi Osteria, whiich says a lot about the restaurant. This is not your run-of-the mill Italian restaurant, but a refined version of Italian cuisine. I had scallops in a delicious non-tomato based sauce. We also had an antipasto consisting of three types of cold meats of excellent quality. Service is good and the ambiance is very pleasant. We are always pleased with the food and the service.Special Features:
- Slow serviceLizLobsterLoverVIPDined on 9/3/2014We have dined here numerous times. The food is always excellent. While the waiters are nice the last few times we've eaten here the service has been incredibly slow. Also, we ordered the prosecco special and the wine was served in white wine glasses, not tulips. Probably not going back.Special Features:
- LindaVIPDined on 8/30/2014Calamari was excellent! Friendly service and good food.Special Features:
- Great Place!RaibarthDined on 8/30/2014The service was excellent, the food outstanding and the wine superb. What more do you want for a dining place you want to call "our Italian"! This is our new "Italian".Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service, excellent foodFoodieAnnDined on 8/29/2014Start with extra bread, please -- perfectly crispy on the outside and moist/airy inside, served with olive oil that is the real thing- look out for the wonderful peppery ending- yum. Prices are pretty high for the portion sizes. ($14 for 3 tiny stuffed squash blossom appetizer?) But the quality is very high and the service is attentive. Home made, veal-stuffed ravioli is perfectly cooked. Halibut is perfection. Duck is a bit odd- a cumin flavor that is unusual--but the cioppino was cooked just right , fresh seafood with a delicious broth. Extensive wine list. Small area for outside dining is close to the road and noisy; large dining room echoes a bit; small side dining area is quieter for a romantic dinner. One of our favorite places.Special Features:
- Still a good place to dineVaGentDined on 8/28/2014Food and service remain very good. We continue to return and are not dissapointed. Pastas are excellent.Special Features:
- treemanVIPDined on 8/27/2014We have eaten here several times and it is always good. Our recent visit Sept. 25, we sat outside on a nice night and enjoyed the weather. Although outside dining is in front and there is some traffic, it is not bad. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/27/2014The wait staff is attentive and yet unobtrusive. The food is presented beautifully and is delicious!Special Features:
- Not up to their usual excellenceandreapendletonDined on 8/22/2014We have been here many times and have always enjoyed both the meal & the service. Both aspects seemed to be off the mark on Friday night, 8/22. The waiter returned to our table to double-check on what we had ordered, the servers brought the wrong salad to one diner, the chef made the wrong fish preparation (filleted not whole) for another diner, the lamb shank disappointed a third diner, and my branzini with lemon/thyme sauce was bland and my mushrooms were dry. Since I ate so little dinner, I went for what was described as gelato, but turned out to be nearly liquid. All in all, a disappointing experience at a place we used to like so much that my husband held his office holiday party there once. I'm hoping they just had a bad night!
- Never disappoints, a go to spotCallThemAsISeeUmVIPDined on 8/22/2014This is one of my wife's and my favorite restaurants with consistently good food and knowledgeable friendly staff. This Northern Italian Gem is a welcome surprise in McLean. Try the zeppole for dessert, you'll thank me later.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was great!SuzanneDined on 8/20/2014The food and wine was outstanding. Service was excellent. It was a warm, inviting environment. Really enjoyed it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Assagi Osteria - Excellente!RJsMomDined on 8/16/2014I visited Assagi Osteria with a friend to celebrate his new job. I purchased a Groupon for the restaurant, so I didn't know much about it at all The service was great, the food was very good and the ambiance was nice for a night out with a loved one, friends, family, etc. It's a quaint little place and the menu selections were great. I'd definitely visit them again!Special Features: