6641 Old Dominion Drive
McLean, VA 22101Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.assaggiosteria.com/
- Phone: 703-918-0080
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:30am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Domenico Cornacchia
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Customized, themed events.
A word from Assaggi Osteria
Domenico Cornacchia, chef/proprietor of Assaggi Osteria, taps into ages of ancestral Italian cooking each time he steps into his kitchen and brings a rich love of the cuisine that he so skillfully nurtured through the years. “Assaggi means tastings in Italian,” explains Domenico, “The concept of my menu is based on a variety of items that may be ordered in smaller portions.” Before deciding to pursue his dream of operating his own restaurant, Domenico was corporate executive chef and partner at Café Milano, for more than 15 years. His culinary umbrella also covered Café Milano’s two sister restaurants, Sette Bello in Clarendon, VA., and Sette Osteria in Dupont Circle. For those who love Italian cuisine, Assaggi Osteria features homemade pasta’s, fresh seafood, veal and scrumptious beef. Assaggi Osteria sources whole fresh fish from worldwide sustainable sources,offering the finest bounty the sea has to offer. Produce is purchased from Amish farms and all desserts are homemade.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Assaggi Osteria reviews from OpenTable diners
129 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (80)fit for foodies (57)special occasion (50)notable wine list (42)romantic (35)great for lunch (34)good for groups (23)great for outdoor dining (17)kid-friendly (10)great for brunch (9)hot spot (7)vibrant bar scene (6)late-night find (5)scenic view (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 10/18/2014I first would like to say that we and our friends are fortunate in that we are able to dine in very nice restaurants 3 or 4 nights a week; however, we were very disappointed in this restaurant, as we always enjoyed Assaggi in Bethesda. The service was very slow, the food not very good -- the waiter was pushing the dover sole and grouse, the latter of which my friend ordered and did not like, and the branzino was not only tasteless but like a half portion it was so small -- and the bill was very high compared to better restaurants we've patronized. It is not one we would go back to nor recommend.
- favorite restaurantnicknameVIPDined on 10/15/2014food alway the best ingredients and wonderfully prepared - we are sorry the Bethesda location closed - dinning room comfortable - service helpful - visit every time we are in the areaSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant ok but priceymrljDined on 10/3/2014We were given a table in the 'veranda' which is impersonal and does not have any character. We ordered 2 cauliflower soups with truffled toasted bread, 2 pasta dishes and 1/2 carafe of wine 90 $. Too much. My black tagliolinis with crab meat were very good, my husband's risotto (24$) with wild mushrooms were average. The service was ok, but not up to the level of the restaurant.
- ViennaWeeneeVIPDined on 9/27/2014As always, the food was delicious but also as usual someone with too much to drink did not use their "inside voice." A bit of sound-absorbing ceilling would really help this restaurant. And my second perpetual complaint, it's almost impossible to find a decent wine at less than $40 a bottle, and a good wine at less than $60? -- fawrgedaboudit. We go only when we have a discount coupon to offset the unecessarily high wine prices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very goodyumchaVIPDined on 9/26/2014right portion and fresh. home made ciabata is very good.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/24/2014have dined there a number of times, one of few "fine dining" places in mclean. went this time for "lobster night" special -- a bit disappointing for those of us familiar with simple, more flavorful lobster preparation. service, on the other hand, was particularly nice this visit. .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 9/20/2014The lunch special is very nice and we loved the breadbasket.Special Features:
- What a great placePacoVIPDined on 9/19/2014Superb food, first class service and a lovely atmosphereSpecial Features:
- Never disappointsjiffer99VIPDined on 9/18/2014We live close by, so it's one of our neighborhood favorites. The wine list includes many wines available in various quantity increments. The food never disappoints, and the bread and olive oil are excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ReneReneDined on 9/18/2014Food and wait-staff were excellent; serving-size just right--not overwhelming.Special Features:
- Surprising experiencetracyinvaDined on 9/16/2014This was our first time here and we didn't know what to expect. We were pleasantly surprised by the quality of the food and the flavors. Will definitely go again.Special Features:
- Middlin'satisfiedVIPDined on 9/12/2014Everything was ok, service, food, setting. Nothing exceptional.Special Features:
- Great Neighborhood TreasureLisaMVIPDined on 9/9/2014Assaggi Osteria is a constant in McLean. The Razor Clams were a special treat not often found. I had the Branzino which was sweet and fresh and boned at table side. We enjoyed our meal, and will be back!Special Features:
- MimiDined on 9/7/2014Our previous experiences at Assaggi Osteria were positive. Not so much on Sunday evening. Sea bass was bland, at best.My fellow diners complained that the rabbit tasted too 'gamey'. Ravioli was just so so instead of mouth watering. On a positive note, Antipasto platter was nicely done, bread was excellent, olive oil delish. This restaurant usually hits all the high notes. I'm giving it the benefit of the doubt as having had an off night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A PleasureDKA1Dined on 9/6/2014It was a pleasure to dine at Assaggi. The service was excellent. My halibut did not have as much flavor as I would prefer, but it was very good. My husband's Orata was incredibly moist and delicious. They debone the whole fish right there next to your table, so you do have to keep an eye out for bones. Delicious desert (don't recall the name) was vanilla ice cream in the center, chocolate mousse and rolled in powdered chocolate.Special Features:
- Wonderful evening!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/5/2014We had a fabulous dinner at Assaggi! The dishes are plated and executed beautifully! This is the real italian food, not a typical Americanized fare! The Chef is happy to accommodate any requests and also offers a tasting menu that we are looking forward to trying next time we visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisapppointingOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 9/5/2014Incredibly noisy inside on a Friday evening. Required shouting across a two person table. Food very good but service indifferent and brusque.
- Good Italian restaurantnonicknameDined on 9/5/2014I am one of three freinds who get together for lunch every so often. We always come back to Assagi Osteria, whiich says a lot about the restaurant. This is not your run-of-the mill Italian restaurant, but a refined version of Italian cuisine. I had scallops in a delicious non-tomato based sauce. We also had an antipasto consisting of three types of cold meats of excellent quality. Service is good and the ambiance is very pleasant. We are always pleased with the food and the service.Special Features:
- Slow serviceLizLobsterLoverVIPDined on 9/3/2014We have dined here numerous times. The food is always excellent. While the waiters are nice the last few times we've eaten here the service has been incredibly slow. Also, we ordered the prosecco special and the wine was served in white wine glasses, not tulips. Probably not going back.Special Features:
- LindaVIPDined on 8/30/2014Calamari was excellent! Friendly service and good food.Special Features:
- Great Place!RaibarthDined on 8/30/2014The service was excellent, the food outstanding and the wine superb. What more do you want for a dining place you want to call "our Italian"! This is our new "Italian".Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service, excellent foodFoodieAnnDined on 8/29/2014Start with extra bread, please -- perfectly crispy on the outside and moist/airy inside, served with olive oil that is the real thing- look out for the wonderful peppery ending- yum. Prices are pretty high for the portion sizes. ($14 for 3 tiny stuffed squash blossom appetizer?) But the quality is very high and the service is attentive. Home made, veal-stuffed ravioli is perfectly cooked. Halibut is perfection. Duck is a bit odd- a cumin flavor that is unusual--but the cioppino was cooked just right , fresh seafood with a delicious broth. Extensive wine list. Small area for outside dining is close to the road and noisy; large dining room echoes a bit; small side dining area is quieter for a romantic dinner. One of our favorite places.Special Features:
- Still a good place to dineOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/28/2014Food and service remain very good. We continue to return and are not dissapointed. Pastas are excellent.Special Features:
- treemanVIPDined on 8/27/2014We have eaten here several times and it is always good. Our recent visit Sept. 25, we sat outside on a nice night and enjoyed the weather. Although outside dining is in front and there is some traffic, it is not bad. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/27/2014The wait staff is attentive and yet unobtrusive. The food is presented beautifully and is delicious!Special Features:
- Not up to their usual excellenceandreapendletonDined on 8/22/2014We have been here many times and have always enjoyed both the meal & the service. Both aspects seemed to be off the mark on Friday night, 8/22. The waiter returned to our table to double-check on what we had ordered, the servers brought the wrong salad to one diner, the chef made the wrong fish preparation (filleted not whole) for another diner, the lamb shank disappointed a third diner, and my branzini with lemon/thyme sauce was bland and my mushrooms were dry. Since I ate so little dinner, I went for what was described as gelato, but turned out to be nearly liquid. All in all, a disappointing experience at a place we used to like so much that my husband held his office holiday party there once. I'm hoping they just had a bad night!
- Never disappoints, a go to spotCallThemAsISeeUmVIPDined on 8/22/2014This is one of my wife's and my favorite restaurants with consistently good food and knowledgeable friendly staff. This Northern Italian Gem is a welcome surprise in McLean. Try the zeppole for dessert, you'll thank me later.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was great!SuzanneDined on 8/20/2014The food and wine was outstanding. Service was excellent. It was a warm, inviting environment. Really enjoyed it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Assagi Osteria - Excellente!RJsMomDined on 8/16/2014I visited Assagi Osteria with a friend to celebrate his new job. I purchased a Groupon for the restaurant, so I didn't know much about it at all The service was great, the food was very good and the ambiance was nice for a night out with a loved one, friends, family, etc. It's a quaint little place and the menu selections were great. I'd definitely visit them again!Special Features:
- underwhelmedOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/16/2014Tried this place because of restaurant week. I will not go back. The restaurant week menu was not interesting and we order a la carte. The fried calamari was tasteless and not seasoned. Plus, it came with shrimp, which was an odd surprise. It was served with a remoulade that was too thick and once again tasteless. I would think an "Italian" restaurant would have a lovely marinara to pair with a wonderfully seasoned calamari, but that was not the case. It was lunch and I opted for a panini. The panini it self was good, but just good. My panini came with a salad and my friend's came with fries. The salad was dressed lettuce and the fries were not crispy or seasoned. Also, the chicken paillard was grilled and dry. No seasoning to be found...
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/15/2014Tried the restaurant week with our 4 yrs old. It's not a kid-friendly. My kid's $17 pasta was just okay. The owner/manager was very rude. We just didn't have a good experience here... won't be going back.
- Wine & CheesetastyVIPDined on 8/15/2014The menu is varied and has something for everyone. Fish, chops, pasta, salads, great apps. The patio and bar are great to enjoy a nice bottle of wine and an excellent assortment of Italian cheeses.Special Features:
- Pleasant ExperienceGUSFIVEDined on 8/15/2014I had lunch with friends visiting from Florida who asked to dine at a traditional Italian restaurant. We dined during Restaurant Week. The food was very good; two people had the salmon special, one person had a paninni, and one person had arugula salad with chicken breast. Clearly, not traditional Italian food. One person had green tomato soup that was interesting. No complaints about the food. The service was slow and we couldn't figure out why because the restaurant wasn't busy. The waiter gave plenty of "talking time." Dessert accompanied several of the lunches but the waiter never brought them. We asked several times and finally the dessert, which was included in the lunch price, arrived. Overall, a nice experience and I would return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but NoisyhappytobediningDined on 8/14/2014Our waiter was great, the food was good, but the dining room was very noisy. We asked to move our table and found it a little more tolerable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good food and good local gemMoxieVIPDined on 8/14/2014Often in McLean one forgets that there are some local restaurants that merit patronizing to ensure that you have a local neighborhood gem when you don't want to mess with downtown DC or the cluster that Tysons Corner has become. Thus come to Assaggi Osteria where excellent italian food awaits. Had a great meal - the Dorade was fantastic and beautifully prepared. The sea bass was amazing on a lovely bed of French lentils. Wine list was good. Dessert was very nice - a lemon pannacotta that melted in your mouth! Service was good. Ambience was good. We even sat outside and while watching the cars whiz by on Old Dominion may not be the most scenic, it does fulfill that people watching niche nicely. Good experience and we will be back.Special Features:
- Excellent Lunch SpotCebpamDined on 8/14/2014Excellent Food, Very Good Service, Wonderful Experience. I went here with my husband for lunch. He got the Restaurnat Week Lunch Menu and I got the Lunch Special. We both enjoyed our food and time here. We'll definitely come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good-- but disappointing.AnacapriVIPDined on 8/13/2014So, guess we were spoiled by the late, lamented Bethesda Assaggi. Same wonderful food, but very long waits btw courses, seldom-seen waiter, no ice for the white wine and conversation-challenging noise level.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/13/2014Food was awesome. Staff extremely accomodating and conscientious. The four of us enjoyed being able to converse without having to yell. I would highly recommend this place to others for any occasion. We had dinner and are looking forward to coming back for a brunch.Special Features:
- Another Great meal at Assaggi!OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/11/2014We were greated again by our favorite waiter, Wilson. We had not been at the restaurant for at least 7 months. Wilson remembers us, he remembers my wife's favorite wine, tells us it is probably out but he would look for it. He was able to find one bottle. The food is always great but Wilson makes us feel like VIPs and we appreciate that.Special Features:
- Sunday lunch delightfultastyVIPDined on 8/10/2014We sat at the bar and received excellent service. Our server/bartender adjusted several items on the menu to suit our tastes. Very helpful. Food was very good. Have been for dinner, but prefer the lower key tempo during the day, early afternoon.Special Features: