30 W. 22nd St.
New York, NY 10010Neighborhood:
Gramercy / Flatiron
Comfort FoodPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.aspen-nyc.com/
- Phone: 2126455040
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch is served from noon - 3:00 PM Monday -Friday Bar/Lounge opens at 5pm Monday - Saturday Dinner is served 6:00 Pm- Midnight Dinner: Monday - Wednesday 6:00pm-2:00am Thursday - Saturday 6:00pm-4:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food
- Executive Chef: Roberto Betanzos
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Delivery, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Aspen can accommodate private events of up to 350 people. Please contact the restaurant directly for more information.
- Private Party Contact: Kevin Crawford 2126455040
- Entertainment: In the ASPEN LOUNGE: Monday, Tuesdays, Wednesdays : Executive Suite... Happy Hours special from 5pm-8pm all week! Thursdays: DJ Tommy James is Rockin' 8pm-2am Fridays: DJ Life a Groovin Mash Up 9pm-2am Saturdays: DJ's Billy Caldwell and Justin Strauss are in the House 9pm-4am
A word from Aspen
Invigorate your senses and tastes this winter at Aspen. We encourage you to experience the beauty of Aspen as we debut our new fall/winter menu. Join us as we welcome the cold months with new entrees and cocktails along with some of our signature dishes. Owner Greg Brier (Groovejet, Jet East) and chef Roberto Betanzos (Pacific east) have collaborated to transform part of the Flatiron district into a retro winter wonderland, complete with a working fireplace. Our fall/winter menu adds new entrée-sized large plate options including Wild Salmon Beluga Lentils and Greens, and Black Angus Flatiron Steak Frites Au Poivre, to our small plates such as our legendary Bison Sliders with Gonzo Sauce, Trout Tacos with Spicy Slaw and Salsa Fresca, and Polenta Fries with Chunky Gorgonzola Sauce. Lastly, every time it snows, Aspen celebrates with half price specialty cocktails- so pull up a seat by the fire and enjoy the snow!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Aspen reviews from OpenTable diners
- The restaurant and bar wereOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/1/2009The restaurant and bar were very cool...like a rustic lodge with the big gas fireplace in the middle...very romantic. Was disappointed in the menu. Was expecting more wild west cuisine. But what we did have was very good. Bison sliders and Trout Tacos. Would go back for just those alone!Special Features:
- Cool vibe. Wished it was aOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/20/2009Cool vibe. Wished it was a bit more busy but the food was quite good and the waitress was very nice. Love the fire pit.Special Features:
- I was dissappointed with theOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/14/2009I was dissappointed with the quality of the food. The cheese plate was just cheese from the grocery store, I would not have served that cheese plate at my house and expect much more in a New York restaurant. The salads were also supbar, I think the beets were from can! A few of the items were good- the mac.n.cheese, sliders, seared Tuna entree and polenta fries. The drinks were very good. I would come back here for drinks with a group, just not dinner. We went someplace else for dessert.Special Features:
- This place was DEAD on a MondayNancellaDined on 11/9/2009This place was DEAD on a Monday night and is now CLOSED! Out of business and done. I've been there twice cause it's a safe place to bring "picky" eaters. Glad it's closed as I don't really want to repeat a visit again.
- Took clients to dinner andOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/3/2009Took clients to dinner and was terribly disappointed in food selection and lack of wines. The server was completely clueless and actually added her gratuity as if we were a table of 5 when we were only 4.
- It looks as if we hit thisOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 10/24/2009It looks as if we hit this "HOT SPOT" on an off night or were too early. As we ended dinner, the dining room was barely 1/4 full. We would like to return with a group of friends and sit around the FIRE PIT and eat the fondue and bison sliders with a nice big glass of bourbon. We will check it out again. Service was very attentive.Special Features:
- Music system was either veryOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/14/2009Music system was either very cheap or out of tune, with heavy emphasis on bass. Sound was annoying to disturbing. Waiter was mostly absent, chatting with the barkeeper, not at all attentive. Food selection was limited, steak was good.Special Features:
- Wine list was limited, butOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/10/2009Wine list was limited, but food and ambiance were very good.
- The decor was awesome! WeKKDiDined on 10/10/2009The decor was awesome! We sat around the fire and got completely lost in "Aspen." The food was delicious and the service was great. We would definitely go back (especially for the polenta fries!)Special Features:
- The restaurant didn't haveStefanDined on 10/7/2009The restaurant didn't have items offered on the menu. Restaurant was no where near full so not sure how they could "sell out" of menu items or have them not available. Food was okay. Atmosphere was kinda dead. Staff was friendly, food was hot and fresh. Wouldn't go back though.
- was disappointed; it was aOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/6/2009was disappointed; it was a dj night apparently, but it didn't say that online when i made the reservation. it was too loud to enjoy anything.
- Food was ok. Menu seemed eclecticOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/18/2009Food was ok. Menu seemed eclectic enough, however the food did not live up to expectations. Service was non attentive. Hostess seemed pleasant. And the name Aspen, if you think you are entering a ski lodge restaurant in Breckenridge; you ain't! Far from it. Except for their cozy looking open fireplace that is the center piece of their dining room. Think of entering a bar in Flagstaff attached with a decently decor dining room. Also the bar liqour and drink offerings were dismal. Very limited selection of liquors!!
- Dined on a Monday night -OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/27/2009Dined on a Monday night - they had run out of white wine and only had 1 bottle of red wine left, also had run out of some acai liquor. Otherwise, the service was great and food was good too.Special Features:
- Three of the four meals wereOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/25/2009Three of the four meals were cooked wrong. Sliders and a steak came out rare instead of medium well. The Mahi Mahi was dry and overcooked. They were out of wine and a few of the meal choices. The restaurant was empty but it took forever for the meals to arrive. It was my birthday dinner and the only thing that made it special was the company at my table.
- in for nyc restaurant week.jmwc42VIPDined on 7/24/2009in for nyc restaurant week. liked the sliders, quite await between first and second course with room half filled. great flat wooden floor for a wheelchair. would drive the senior citizens I know insane with the noise were eager to see us returnSpecial Features:
- Great food and service. BardiningdowntownDined on 7/22/2009Great food and service. Bar waqs a bit noisy and sound came right into the dining room. Might consider a way to block some of that off.Special Features:
- I went to Aspen with a diningOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 7/17/2009I went to Aspen with a dining partner and we both came away very disappointed. This is one of those NYC restaurants that is trying to be both a trendy bar/meeting place spot and a nice restaurant. It fails on the latter. We dined in the evening and were immediately unpleasantly surprised to be given paper napkins. My salmon was over-cooked to the point of having the texture of jerky. My date's meal was also not very well-prepared. The place was very noisy making conversation difficult unless we shouted at each other across our table. I would not recommend Aspen to anyone other than young people in the 21-30 age range looking for a place to have a cocktail or two before heading out to a dance club.
- The food was just okay. NotOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/16/2009The food was just okay. Not great. Not what I was expecting for the cost. But the place is gorgeously decorated. Fun to check out once, but don't go for great food.
- The best thing about thisOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/11/2009The best thing about this place was the food. It was AMAZING! I would come back just for that, but pretty much only that. Overpriced, a bit. The scene was "Aspen" feeling but it killed it when they played Latino-style music. Waitress was attentive but maybe because we were the only one in the restaurant at 8pm on Saturday night. One other table came while we were there. She didn't know what Haricot Verts were on the menu but she did adjust our bill for something that was incorrect. I'd go back, but I'd be sure to bring my own friends for company.Special Features:
- I would not return here. TheOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 6/29/2009I would not return here. The wine list was horrible and the waitress felt bad since everything we asked for, she couldn't accomodate - including asking for a pitcher of sangria, which they don't do - they only have glasses. Additionally, we were seated in the bar area where we couldn't hear a thing. I told them we are a group of old friends who would like to catch up, but they made us sit there as if we weren't going to spend a ton of money. Their attitude doesn't match the food or service, so I wish them the best of luck in making it in this economy.Special Features:
- Food is amazing but reallyOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/28/2009Food is amazing but really overpriced, service was horrible we literally would wait for up to 20 minutes for her attention and there were only a few other tables. Loved the place but not sure if I will go back because lack of service drives me insane.Special Features:
- The staff were great and superOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 5/16/2009The staff were great and super accommodating for our dinner for 8. I also reserved a lounge table for drinks. The bar staff were on the ball, prompt, and very responsive despite the large crowds. Definitely a great hot spot for a birthday dinner and drinks. We'll be back!Special Features:
- This place used to be a celebrityOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/8/2009This place used to be a celebrity hot spot and super chic. I revisted it recently and saying it has gone down hill would be a severe understatement. I felt as though I was stuck at a horrible frat party.
- Woeful! Don't even waste yourOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/7/2009Woeful! Don't even waste your time or money. It's tired, vacant and needs to close its doors. There are far too many good restaurants in New York to waste your time here. We couldn't wait to finish up our meal in order to let the staff continue to transform the restaurant into a nightclub. Bad!
- We were there at 7:00 andOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 4/28/2009We were there at 7:00 and the only table! A few more filled up but I think it is more of club now. Many wines we wanted to order they only had limited quantites and we weren't choosing high end wines. Overall was just fair, I would not go back.
- I had only heard of AspenBucktownBobVIPDined on 4/25/2009I had only heard of Aspen for late-night bites, but in fact, it has a great dinner menu as well. Everyone in my party ordered from the specials and we were all incredibly satisfied. I had the Sierra Nevada and kimchee-soaked ribs with a side of corn and sweet potato fries --- delicious. Our server was very attentive, but he was the only waiter in the restaurant (which wasn't that packed), which made the service rather slow. Since there were several cocktail servers at the bar, I'm guessing that's the main draw to Aspen. The lucite deer heads were stylish and fun. Great place; I'd definitely go back.Special Features:
- I haven't fallen for a restaurantsnappyfaceDined on 4/23/2009I haven't fallen for a restaurant like this in a long time. Everything was nearly perfect. The stunning design is transporting and the ambiance chic but welcoming. I loved the Key lime martini (tasted exactly like the pie) and many of the small items that we shared among our group. The fish tacos, tuna tartar and the bison sliders were all excellent. The bartender was terrific and so was our waitress. I will definitely be heading back sooner than later.Special Features:
- I expected this restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/15/2009I expected this restaurant to by all style and no substance, but there was surprisingly delicious food, a great DJ and excellent service. I was with a large group and we had a spacious table and gracious service. The 20% service charge was a bit of a hit, but I would have given that anyway...Special Features:
- Food was delicious but portionsDrippsDined on 4/11/2009Food was delicious but portions were small and expensive.
- great for meeting friends--drinks,dwfoodafficionatoVIPDined on 4/2/2009great for meeting friends--drinks, maybe a couple of starters!!! only one waitress on a thurs evening--lots of others just standing around will not go backSpecial Features:
- Like other reviews I had readOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 3/31/2009Like other reviews I had read I agree that the music was way too loud. I don't know what obnoxiously loud music has to do with Aspen - I have family living there so have spent a good deal of time in that town and the only loud music I encountered was when I went to a concert. Definitely not at a dinner. The food was fine. Nothing spectacular. I'd eat there again, but for what I paid for food there are too many are delicious restaurants in NY to choose from. If it were cheaper then I'd pop in more often because you know you'll get a decent dinner.
- Food and service were great.lotuseatsDined on 3/19/2009Food and service were great. Music & crowd were a little over the top. When we left the bartender was shirtless...which seemed a bit strange...
- the food was just good - notOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/7/2009the food was just good - not exceptional by any measure - esp for the price.
- I had heard good things aboutOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/6/2009I had heard good things about Aspen and was really looking forward to a nice dinner out, but I was let down by sub-par service and mediocre quality of food. The atmosphere and bar scene of the restaurant were great, however, this would be about the only reason I would go back to Aspen. I do not feel I got what I paid for, which is disappointing.
- Overall, we had a great time.GeorgiaLDined on 3/6/2009Overall, we had a great time. 5 Girls out for a little birthday celebration and the service was awesome. Our waiter, Jeremy, was attentive, funny and enthusiastic. The food was really good, came out fast and although we shared about 10 small plates, there was plenty for everyone. I would definitely go back...Special Features:
- Actually good food, reallyDoctorstanVIPDined on 3/5/2009Actually good food, really wants to be a scene. If busy fun for young, hip adult groups or singlesSpecial Features:
- We were excited to try a newOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 2/27/2009We were excited to try a new restaurant but were quickly let down shortly after we arrived at Aspen. It started with "fake" drinks. My husband kept asking for a "Jack Daniels & Coke," & complained to the waitress that it was not actually Jack Daniels. You could line up 6 different bourbons and blindfold my husband and he would be able to identify it. Clearly, they are substituting the top shelf liquor for inferior brands. Secondly, the bar was too loud due to the blaring music. The main dining room was its own disaster. It was an inferno due to the raging fireplace. We were the only people in the dining room at that point (it was early)& cracked the french door which led outside which the hostess quickly & nastily shut. we left after that!
- Good food, a bit expensiveOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 2/17/2009Good food, a bit expensive for what it is, but nice ambience. I will probably be back.Special Features:
- Not that great anymore, mixedOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 2/14/2009Not that great anymore, mixed bag of people, nothing special, I had a good time, but its just felt cold and empty of energy, bar scene started to get going as I was leaving, but not that great, lots of dudes.
- this place wont last, whileOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 2/10/2009this place wont last, while the food was good, there was a large party going on in the bar, our banquet was torn, there was candle wax on my menu and our table was sticky - it is all down hill from here.