2 Main Street
Old Saybrook, CT 06475Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.aspenct.com/
- Phone: (860) 395-5888
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday – Saturday: 11:30am -2:30pm; Dinner: Tuesday – Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm-10:00pm Sunday Lunch 11:30am -2:30pm; Dinner: 5:00pm - 9:00pm,
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Thomas Prue, Chef de Cuisine
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Descending under 'seemingly falling' leaves ensconced in glass, to the lower level is the 50-seat Amber Lounge, an intimate setting featuring a curved mahogany bar, a large organic stone fireplace and textured walls softly lit with slender alabaster panels. The Amber Lounge is a fabulous venue to host special events.
- Private Party Contact: Anthony DeSerio 8603955888
- Entertainment: The Amber Lounge features a contemporary style menu and Live Jazz every Saturday.
A word from Aspen Restaurant
Aspen Restaurant Voted Best New Restaurant for 2009 by Connecticut Magazine. A premiere destination dining experience, serving contemporary american cuisine with global accents. Aspen Restaurant is Located on 2 main street in Old Saybrook,CT.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Aspen Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
58 reviews since July 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (33)fit for foodies (33)romantic (26)neighborhood gem (22)great for lunch (13)notable wine list (11)good for groups (10)hot spot (9)vibrant bar scene (7)kid-friendly (5)late-night find (4)scenic view (1)Show More
- good dayschickenDined on 11/8/2014felt welcome will be back the chicken was awesome the fresh grill taste awesomeSpecial Features:
- Excellent dining experienceRNCLYGDined on 11/6/2014Aspen was an excellent dining experience for us in Old Saybrook prior to attending a concert at The nearby Katherine Hepburn Theater. The wine by the glass selections were excellent and the menus varied and appropriate. We had the filet and duck breast both cooked to perfection and calimari for an appetizer. We would definitely return here to try other menu items and to use it as a break on trips from New York to Cape Cod.Special Features:
- Great restaurantpostnaDined on 11/5/2014Every course was excellent. Love the small plates. Great atmosphere. Fun special cocktails menu.Special Features:
- Wonderful birthday dinnerConnecticutDined on 10/23/2014First time at Aspen but won't be last. Service was amazing, attentive but not intrusive. Food presentation excellent and food itself definitely high quality and prepared exactly as requested. Drink menu was unusual and lived up to the high quality of the food. Would not hesitate to recommend this restaurant for anyone's special dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time it wasn't goodJaykay2Dined on 10/19/2014Five top for my mom's bday lunch but only had 2:00pm avail. Felt like all food had been cooked before noon. Oily fish and chips - totally soggy fries. Hanger steak was okay but everything else disappointed.
- up from DEfavoriteDined on 10/15/2014Aspen has the best food in Old Saybrook area. Al the times I've dined there the meal has been outstanding. The halibut was so delicious It is some thing I never cooked. There were no appetizer on the menu. disappointed. Everyone is so friendly and welcoming. The noise level is too much, so makes it difficult to hear person sitting across from me..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not up to usual standardsLovegoodfoodDined on 10/12/2014We have eaten at this restaurant a number of times and enjoyed great food. This was an exception. The clam chowder while delicious was less than luke warm. A cream base is tough to serve hot, but this was barely warm. The rest of our party enjoyed the quality of food so we decided to share a dessert. The cheesecake was either was past its prime or had been sliced and left uncovered. It was dry and tasteless. The caramel sauce was quite good. This was an unfortunate way to end our meal and quite different from past experiences. As usual the wait staff was attentive and efficient.Special Features:
- Great local dining spotMjc019copVIPDined on 10/9/2014As I stated in other reviews one of my favorites. This restaurant has a nice atmosphere, attentive staff and very good food. I highly recommend dining here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old Saybrook treasureMyTMacDined on 10/8/2014From the moment you walk in it becomes obvious Aspen is on top of their game, competent front of house ,fantastic wait staff and food that will blow you away.We had lobster bolognese and Berkshire pork chop both memorable for dessert custard brûlée and the gelato trio try the strawberry rhubarb flavor and cappuccino to finish,such a pleasure to eat at a place that delivers hit after hit.We will be back,soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceLiketodineonthecoastDined on 10/4/2014Aspen continues to deliver an outstanding night out. Excellent food, great wine and an attentive staff.Special Features:
- LucyAWDined on 10/3/2014We needed a place to have an early dinner - before a 6:40 lecture at The Kate. The Aspen filled that bill - and more. I had the chicken, which was great. My husband had the hamburger...enough food for two. The salads were a special treat.I would recommend this to a friend.
- LemkomanDined on 9/18/2014Food was very good, Service was fine. Noise level was uncomfortable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretty goodBestreviewsDined on 9/18/2014Everything was really good except the clam chowder was floury too much flour taste should taste like clams. The bread pudding did not taste like peaches strange taste. The duck was great and the salmon was excellent. Always a good dinner and lunch hereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, but not greatSteveBDined on 9/13/2014Service was a little slow and my duck was very tasteless. Lobster small plate looked better that the lobster parpadelle, which we did have.I would recommend this to a friend.
- 4strikesandoutDined on 8/23/2014Last Saturday was my 4th experience dining at Aspen, two lunches and two dinners. Each time the food and service was wonderful. However, the noise level is a real problem. Our reservation was for 6:15, by 7:00 the restaurant was full and we were shouting at each other across the table. The enjoyment of a good meal was instantly drowned out by "excuse me, what did you say, I can't hear you, say that again". I am a resident of Old Saybrook and go out for dinner quite often with family and friends, unfortunately, I don't think I will be returning to Aspen.
- Always a great experienceMANDPYOLOTOURDined on 8/20/2014We go to Aspen when we are looking for a top of the line dining experience in the shoreline area. There arent many spots like this where yo always get a great dining experience. We will be back and would recommend Aspen to anyone I know.Special Features:
- Superp restaurantBDKCDined on 8/1/2014We have enjoyed Aspen many times & always find it to be a wonderful dining experience - great food & service, quiet enough to hear ourselves talk, small OR large plates of fresh food!!!Special Features:
- Needs improvementDinoDined on 7/25/2014I applaud Aspen for modifying their menu recently and many of the dishes look very appealing. This meal, however was disappointing. The foie gras($16), after taking a very long time to arrive, was well prepared, but minuscule. I don't expect a huge portion when ordering this dish, but this was definitely skimpy. The local fluke ($28) as a main course was disappointing. This is a delicate, flaky fish that should be prepared with a light hand and fork tender. Instead, it was pan fried until it was very tough on the edges, to the point that I literally had to saw through it with a knife. There was no sauce, except for a small dollop of fig-like compote placed in the center of the presentation all on nice mashed potatoes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 368 reviews are from the Aspen Restaurant reviews archive.
- Delightful foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/22/2014Our first trip to aspen and we were delighted with the food. The decor is lovely, except the traffic outside the window.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special Lunch SpotGrayrayVIPDined on 7/18/2014I'm sure Aspen is great for dinner or drinks, but we've stopped by many times for lunch driving between MA and NY. Once again we find Aspen to have a great menu, we executed and served in a very clean, pleasant setting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderfulctpl81Dined on 7/16/2014Had the pleasure of eating at Aspen. The food was cooked perfectly. Service was friendly and attentive without being obnoxious. We will definitely return.Special Features:
- Great local foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/15/2014Food was Fresh and well prepared. Waitstaff said they get produce from Whitegate farm in East Lyme. NY Strip Steak was cooked just right, Smoked blue cheese butter was perfect with it. Service was attentive and willing to accommodate special requests. The manager was very helpful checking on us and filling us in on their special promotions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedTempestaVIPDined on 7/11/2014Lovely space, earnest though absent waitstaff, atrocious food that took an excessively long time to emerge from the kitchen at a price that was wildly inflated for what it was served.
- another great eveningStefanoVIPDined on 7/11/2014We have had several wonderful dinners here in the past 2 months. Both the regular menu items (which they smartly always have on the menu) and some fantastic specilas have all been superb !Special Features:
- Another Great MealBoSoxDined on 7/10/2014Aspen just continues to have consistently great food and service. One of the best from New London to Clinton.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WaterDined on 7/8/2014My shrimp pasta dish wasn't flavorful. My husbands salmon was undercooked. Dessert was flourless chocolate cake and it was tasty but not fabulous. The menu is interesting but limited. I love the atmosphere and decor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great meal at AspenOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/3/2014The short rib appetizer was to die for. Melt in your mouth. I had the sear duck which was cooked to perfection.Special Features:
- Terrific all aroundAnthonyCTVIPDined on 7/3/2014Our experience at Aspen was terrific. The just switched to a farm to table menu, I guess for the summer, and the food was really fine. It feels like the chef has stepped up the cuisine from last summer. My husband had the salmon (really good) and I had the Moroccan chicken (also really good). The service was very attentive, if a little rushed in the clearing process, but it did nothing to detract from a great night.Special Features:
- Dinner on a SaturdayKimKDined on 6/28/2014I went to aspen with my sisters for dinner on our weekend away and could not have had a more pleasant experience. The food was the best meal I've ever had other than my other meals at aspen!!!! Highly reccomend it! Will be there whenever I'm in town!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Totally enjoyable!BSK62614Dined on 6/26/2014Charlene was an exceptional server. Answered our food questions easily. Checked with the chef about one particular question about a spice. Offered a small sample of 2 wines for my sister to try so she could pick the wine she preferred. Always checked back to the table but was not intrusive. We ordered 2 different entrees so we could share our dishes - both were exceptional, delicious - sea scallops and swordfish. We will definitely return to Aspen Restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a disappointmentKermitsmomVIPDined on 6/24/2014We had been to Aspen many times before and had thought it great. But this was our first time in a year. This time, though the server was pleasant, the service was incompetent. Our drinks took a long time to arrive. The reason? He couldn't get the bartender's attention. (We heard her loud voice talking from across the room.) When the other diners were served, my meal was whisked away. It seems that he had "pushed the wrong button" and ordered the wrong entree for me. My meal therefore arrived well after the other diners had finished theirs. Profuse apologies from the waiter and the host and their offer of a free drink really didn't cut it. I don't think we'll be returning.
- JohnCJEMDined on 6/24/2014We get to Aspen only 3-4 times a year when we are in the area. This time was truly exceptional ! I had Duck nachos as an appetizer which was fantastic. Our entrees were all perfect and delicious. The service was excellent with Tara as our server. I would recommend Aspen to anyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really good but something's missingaltiebDined on 6/15/2014We like aspen very much, but each visit feel as if something is missing... maybe it's that the restaurant lacks an identity... maybe it's that the place is kind of large and needs to be redecorated to appear more fun, lively... I don't know... Anyway, you can get great food here, really good service... no complaints... it just misses being a really special place for some strange reason, having to do with decor and ambiance.Special Features:
- Pleasant Surprisedining4usDined on 6/14/2014My husband and I went for dinner this past weekend for his birthday celebration. This was our first time dining at Aspen. I have to say, we were pleasantly surprised at the quality of the food and the outstanding service! We will definitely be back!! Thank you!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- martiniboyDined on 6/14/2014We love Aspen for its unique good food and great drinks. We enjoy taking family and friends here as well as having eating at the bar. They have a great bar menu and very nice atmosphere. I enjoy a good dry martini with stuffed olives and they get 5 stars for this. The food is very good here with an interesting menu that changes monthly. you really cant go wrong here usually. However we ordered the Halibut last Saturday and it was not up to their standards. It was a good piece of fish but over cooked and tasteless. However they where quickly accommodating with either another dish, dessert or a drink.Special Features:
- Great SpotMjc019copVIPDined on 6/13/2014In summer menu changes removed some of my wife and my favorites but they are back on and we are again frequenting the restaurant. The food is always good and cooked to perfection and the staff is always courteous and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- budget63Dined on 5/29/2014Great service. Did not hesitate to accommodate special requests.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Aspen Restaurant -Great SettingthetravelinladiesDined on 5/21/2014A lovely part of the Old Saybrook Country Barn, this restaurant maintains the ambiance and the elegant presentation of the rest of the complex. It is best enjoyed during the week, rather than during the hustle-bustle of weekends and during tourist season. The food is not exceptional, but it is appealing, and made even more so by the excellent presentation and quality of service. We manage to come here whenever we take the long drive down to the shoreline.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not much to complain aboutOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/11/2014Pricing was reasonable. Food was very good. Waiter seemed a little disconnected and it took two requests to get some bread but generally the service was very good. Family enjoyed it and the wife was pleasedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Local PlaceMjc019copVIPDined on 4/25/2014Im pretty much a regular here and food is always prepared and paired with sides very well. Menu change, less options but anyone should be able to find a satisfying dish. Lower level has a private bar and is a fantastic place for small parties.Special Features: