717 H. St NW
Washington, DC 20001Neighborhood:
Pan-AsianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.asianspicerestaurant.com/
- Phone: (202) 589-0700
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:30am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:30pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Pan-Asian
- Executive Chef: Tanya Poonkrven
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Asian Spice
" At Asian Spice, a continent of cuisines " by Tom Sietsema ( Washington Post ) offering array of exquisite cuisine from China, Japan, Korea, Vietnam, Indonesia, Thai, Lao and Malaysia. The dining room is stylish, comtemporary and comfortable. Join us for our daily happy hour at the bar from 4 -8 pm offering an extensive selections of beer, wine and house specialty drinks. We offer seasonal outdoor seating, Spring thru late Fall. A private dining room and karaoke room are also available for your special event.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Asian Spice reviews from OpenTable diners
44 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (14)fit for foodies (13)great for lunch (13)good for groups (8)great for outdoor dining (7)vibrant bar scene (7)romantic (4)late-night find (4)hot spot (3)special occasion (3)kid-friendly (1)great for brunch (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Enjoyable PlacekMaNVIPDined on 11/11/2014I went right before the a movie and the food & drink were excellent. I would recommend to family or friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good choice near Verizon CenterNovaeatsDined on 11/8/2014Returned to Asian Spice prior to a Capitals game. Location is just around the corner. Broad choices of beer. Variety of Asian cuisines. Something for everyone. We love this place!Special Features:
- good pre-show spotltoldtownDined on 10/25/2014My friend and I really enjoyed the food...we shared appetizers and the duck rolls were amazing! Seafood entree also delish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Could use better pacingJosZebleyDined on 10/19/2014This was our second visit to Asia spice. Two of us ordered soup for one, salad for the other, appetizers and then entrees. We had barely started (my excellent miso scallop soup was a little cool however) when the appetizers were brought out, rushing the meal. Similarly we had barely finished the appetizers (delicious satays, lamb kabobs, and cheese puffs) when we were served the entrees. Very poor pacing! I had ordered Mee Goreng which I have had in other lands and was looking forward to a nice flat egg noodle dish. Instead I received a somewhat bland vermicelli like noodle dish. I had to chase down a server for some sambal like spice. For a not that busy Sunday evening I was a bit disappointed in both the food and service but will try aginI would recommend this to a friend.
- Asian food find near Verizon CenterBirthdayDined on 10/18/2014The food was a mix of different Asian cuisines. It was very good, everyone at our table cleaned their plates. Quite a few of the dishes were spicy or very spicy on the menu but there were milder choices as well. I had the Beijing Cashew Chicken and it was tender in a lovely sweet creamy sauce. The portions were not as big as many restaurants and we will probably order an appetizer as well next time. The beer selection was quite good as well.Special Features:
- Great as always!DexterVIPDined on 10/6/2014This was my first coming to lunch alone, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It was quiet; service was quick and efficient; and the TV was tuned to ESPN :-).Special Features:
- Surprisingly good sushiypdinersDined on 10/3/2014We're fans of sashimi and nigiri sushi, and found that Asian Spice offered large and fresh pieces of sushi for a reasonable price and they tasted deliciousSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loyal customer no moreOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014We've been here before & loved it then went for dinner on a Saturday night & had a terrible experience! We sat in the bar because it's always been good & ended up with a girl who I'd never seen before & was rude/not friendly at all. We told the girl our sushi order twice AND pointed to it, then when it came out wrong she was rude & said she heard something else. We've used a Groupon and split the happy hour bill from the regular bill & suddenly this time it was an issue and took 20 min. We ordered an eel avocado roll & it didn't come out with eel sauce so we asked for it, which incurred a charge! When we approached the manager he brought up the groupon as a defense to the ridiculous charge. I'm going to think twice before coming back.Special Features:
- Noise level nixed conversationSmilesDined on 9/8/2014Great soup, great sushi - poor satay. Most memorable was the noise level! Conversation challenging at best.
- A gem of a find.anneDined on 8/30/2014A return to restaurant in Chinatown. The service and food were notable. The menu offered many choices, I will return hee again and again.Special Features:
- Last minute decision payed off!MikeGDined on 8/29/2014The day was beautiful out, so I looked for a place that had outdoor seating. Decided on Asian Spice. So happy I finally tried this place! Sushi was bangin, service was great, and the outdoor seating was surprisingly tucked enough away from the Chinatown hustle, that we didn't feel like 10,000 people were walking by watching us eat.Special Features:
- Better options out theredcshrinkDined on 8/19/2014Food was okay, with neither panache or fault. Service was poor. Brought entrees before appetizers, did not refill water or tea. Seldom seen. Obsequious when presenting bill, punctual in collecting the bill. Room was uncomfortably cool.
- If only the food were betterRichardGVIPDined on 8/19/2014Nothing special that I detected about the ambience. The service was outstanding--really wonderful. Unfortunately, the food was not. Even the dishes marked with the chili pepper icon were bland. As a friend once said, "Everyday fare at special-occasion prices."
- Great Time and fooddinerDined on 8/15/2014I have been to Asian Spice several times and the service is always good and friendly. The happy hour menu is pleasing with great drink options to choose from. This is a nice place to have a quick meal and meet friends especially. I enjoyed the sushi and the raspberry martinis were awesome!!!Special Features:
- Great FoodDCFoodieVIPDined on 8/9/2014As always the food was delicious and it is so easy to get a table. The service wasn't good as usual, but still fine.Special Features:
- Great lunch deals for chinatownMartyJVIPDined on 8/4/2014Went here for a quick lunch. They had great lunch specials and options including bento boxes. I had the pad thai lunch which came in a bento box tray with a crispy roll, some watermelon and a salad all for $14. Would definitely go again- but next time for the drunken noodles or the Salmon Teryaki Bento box.Special Features:
- The following 462 reviews are from the Asian Spice reviews archive.
- not so spicyGalsVIPDined on 7/17/2014great outdoor seating on a good day, best spot in the area, on the streetSpecial Features:
- Very HappyDCGirl32Dined on 7/15/2014So happy to find Korean food on the menu! I was born in South Korea & I was thrilled to find Korean food on the menu! The first taste brought back a lot of happy memories for me! The service was awesome as well! Great job!!Special Features:
- Terrific Asian CuisineCMcNettVIPDined on 7/9/2014The food at Asian Spice is excellent; always fresh ingredients and well done. I meet colleagues here for business lunches not infrequently just because the food is so good, wait staff is very profesisonal, courteous and helpful. The prices are also very good for the quality of the food.Special Features:
- Mediocre at bestOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/8/2014Good service, quite table, but I left very unimpressed with the sushi. It was mediocre and over-priced at best. My companion's plated meals looked much better, but I left still craving proper sushi. Lump Crab meat was more mayo than crab- and it was not outlined that it was a crab salad roll.
- DateNightDined on 7/5/2014Intriguing appetizers and good Thai food near Verizon center. Our server (from Thailand) was excellent and excelled when we told him our request for slightly spicy food came out beyond what we could take. It was replaced immediately. We ate outside and the ambiance was basic, but in an energetic part of town. Would visit again and stretch out a bit more on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Philly RollSusanVIPDined on 6/25/2014Very generous amount of salmon and so tasty! All the food was very fresh and served fast. Great spot for quick meals before a Verizon Center show.Special Features:
- Service OK Food GoodrtesmerVIPDined on 6/13/2014Been here before, and liked it. Had to go up a very long windy set of stairs to get to our table, ok. Service once up there was spotty at times. Had to request refills, several times. Food was served fresh and hot and when one dish was incorrect, it was quickly replaced with the right one.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/8/2014I love this place. Everything I eat is amazing!!! Longevity fried rice is fantastic. Drunken Munky roll is awesome too!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodDCFoodieVIPDined on 6/7/2014The food is always great and it is so easy to get a table. I definitely recommendSpecial Features:
- Great serviceLiveleeDined on 6/6/2014Great bartenders Scott and Charles!!! They will make your visit worth the while. A great place to go before or after an event at the Verizon Center.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Average at bestwrldtrvlr157Dined on 6/2/2014After reading all the great reviews of this place, we really had high expectations. The mood wad already set when I asked about the drink specials and the server abruptly answered, it isn't for outside diners. The korean bbq was way too salty, and our server only checked on is once throughout the meal. It's a great looking place, but the food just was not up to par.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/1/2014Food excellent, service outstanding and what a very pleasant experience. i plan to eat again at Asian Spice the next time visitors come to town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Luv2EatOutDined on 5/19/2014The food was wonderful! The service was great and the ambience was great for a lunch meeting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Flawed but lovable favoriteWoodchuckDined on 5/15/2014Asia Spice is a neighborhood favorite of ours. The service can be spotty (especially during happy hour if there is a game at the Comcast Center), but it is always friendly, the food is creative and carefully crafted, and the ambiance is fun. The Peasant Noodles are worth making a special trip. Take some time to read the whole menu, because the names of the dishes are some of the most creative in Washington. I think they would benefit from making the menu a little smaller and less confusing, and focusing on doing a smaller number of dishes to perfection. I've really never been disappointed by the food, but I have been frustrated a few times by chaos.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful choicesjoyceVIPDined on 5/9/2014Service was perfect, waiter helped us decide among many good choices. We came early, not crowded, but had a problem with Groupon that manager and staff solved for us, they were all extremely helpful, friendly and efficient. A pleasure. Lots of good menu options, the Panang Curry with Salmon was really good. Large portion, excellent quality, salmon perfectly cooked. Dessert was sticky rice with mango, unique, delicious, artistically presented. Hadn't been there for several years, consider it a find.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good sushiDaniDined on 5/6/2014sushi was pretty good... decent service. Good spot to check out when in the areaSpecial Features:
- Fair ValueOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/25/2014The food was very good and a good value for the money. The appetizer, salad and soup we had were good starts to the meal. The lamb kebabs were excellent and was the duck entree.Special Features:
- Good for quick pre-theater supperTammyDined on 4/15/2014Enjoyed the tom yumm soup and the duck roll - an appetizer big enough for a main course. Service was very courteous but timing was off -- the food arrived before the cocktails were half finished.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food and service were great.dinkyDined on 4/12/2014Food and service were great. We ate here during cherry blossom festival and dined outdoors. Great experience. I would go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Old.StandbyhighexpectationsDined on 4/10/2014Always good food and reliable. Great for vegetarians as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hot Hot HotJosZebleyDined on 4/6/2014when the Tom Yumm seafood soup makes your eyes water and your nose run, without burning your mouth AND delivers layered flavours, your know you are in the right place! The chicken, not pork or beef sates were OK and the Asian spice salad was also good but nothing special. The Vietnamese Lemongrass Pork pulled Asian Spice back out of the humdrum to the delicious. The drunken noodles were a delight. My Mee Goreng, egg noodles was a bit of a disapointment as I am used to wide flat noodles that hold the hot peanut sauce, but the flavor was there. Thai Green Curry again hit the spot. Spicey, hot, but with mutiple flavors in the heat without any burn My ginger creme brûlée was bland with little ginger flavur, cold, and dense. Not a success.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good mixture of all thingsPeteVIPDined on 4/2/2014Good mixture of all things Asian. Also a wide range of food volumes from tapas and sushi to full dinners. Lots of energy and a fun place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A little noisyamcostello99Dined on 4/2/2014Food was delicious, but it was a little too noisy for a business lunch.Special Features:
- Excellent Variety of Asian ChoicesJeffVIPDined on 3/29/2014The food selection and quality were great. Thai was especially good. Service was good. A very nice dining choice.Special Features: