Asian Rim Sushi Company
3419 Colonnade Parkway
Birmingham, AL 35243Neighborhood:
Pan-AsianPrice: $30 and under
Asian Rim Sushi Company
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.asianrim.com/
- Phone: (205) 490-1444
- Hours of Operation:
Friday & Saturday 11:00am-10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Pan-Asian, Thai
- Executive Chef: Master Sushi Chef Phichaya Arimahong
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Delivery, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Catering available with 24 hours notice requested. Please Call to request our catering menu. Remy Helu 205.490.1444
- Entertainment: Music on the Outer Rim (Outdoor Seating Area) during Season, TVs in the Wave (Bar Area), Open Kitchen, Sushi Bar and Friendly/Happy Servers
- Special Events: Check our FB page for all special events
A word from Asian Rim Sushi Company
Asian Rim Sushi Company is the winner of Birmingham's "Best New Restaurant for 2012" as awarded by BirminghamRestaurants.com. This distinction was ignited with the creative menu development by a team of Seattle, WA chefs capturing the made-from-scratch cravable flavor profiles and a diverse menu where Foodies flock for their culinary pleasures. Aside from their Signature Sushi, the Rim offers a culinary fusion of authentic Thai and Pan-Asian cuisine. Asian Rim is Birmingham's most "in place to be seen & dine". The Wave (Bar) is high energy & features the perfect "Southern Hospitality" atmosphere while the "Outer Rim" (outdoor seating) is a great retreat to just chill and visit with friends. The Rim is opened 7 days for both lunch & dinner. Check-out both www.AsianRim.com and their Face Book page for a better appreciation of this exceptional Pan-Asian eatery.Continued
Located in The Colonnade at the intersection of I-459 & State Road 28.
Located in The Colonnade at the intersection of I-459 & State Road 28.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Asian Rim Sushi Company reviews from OpenTable diners
11 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (5)good for groups (5)great for outdoor dining (4)great for lunch (3)romantic (2)neighborhood gem (2)special occasion (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- A pleasant surpriseLocalDINKsDined on 11/19/2014Had the sashimi appetizer, chicken and shrimp dumplings, and seaweed salad. Sashimi was a bit smaller portion than I anticipated though piece count was noted on the menu. Very tasty. Dumplings were my fave. Seaweed salad was a bit heavy on the soy sauce for me, but still yummy. Ate every bit of everything. My dining partner was not a fan of the cilantro in the cilantro miso soup. No wait, and a much more chill option (quieter, casual) than the zoo of a chain restaurant across the highway.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BillDined on 11/16/2014We have eaten at Asian Rim 2 times. On this occasion the food was still good but not outstanding like it had been before. All of us at our table agreed on that. Service was also not nearly as attentive as it had been previously, and the restaurant was not horribly busy due to the inclement weather. Overall disappointing when compared to our previous experience there.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disaster of a Restaurant and MenuDrFoodDined on 11/11/2014A colleague and I went to dinner at Asian Rim on the evening of November 11. We chose the restaurant based on the on-line menu, it looked interesting and reasonable for a business dinner. We were greeted and seated by a young man immediately upon arriving. He seated us and told us our wait person's name (I do not remember now) and told us she would be with us in a couple of minutes. 10 minutes later he realized she had not come by our table and apologized. This should have been an indicator of the events to follow. Finally a young lady wanders over to our table and asks what we want to drink, no introduction, no welcome....just what the heck do you want to drink with an attitude of hurry up you're horning in on my facebook or twitter time. Needless to say the rest of dinner went the same way. Next time I'm in Birmingham I will avoid this restaurant.
- Second visit in a MonthAllenDined on 11/10/2014I believe this is my favorite restaurant right now. The edamame is the best I have had. It has a smoky flavor and is really different and fresh tasting. The sushi is wonderful and very reasonably priced. Also I like the way they can spice up any dish and they use a numbering scale to gauge the heat. Awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Asian rimGirlsnightDined on 10/15/2014Food and service fantastic. The light above the table gave me a migraine. Softer bulbs or larger shades would be great. A good place to go when you want to have great food and be able to have conversation and hear each other.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really good foodAllenDined on 10/15/2014It was our first visit. We tried black smoke salted steamed edamame, Godzilla roll kicked up with jalapenos (at the suggestion of our server), and crab Rangoon. Everything was outstanding. For our lunch entrees, Pad Thai and chicken with green curry. Also had the Ginger Miso salad. Everything was fresh and tasty. This is a great place to have lunch. Service was great. Loved it. It will be back to visit at nightSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and serviceHedgeplDined on 8/17/2014This is a great place with good sushi and other dishes. The Korean BBQ and Thai noodles are good too. Request spicy noodles of you like them hot!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, poor serviceFoodieVIPDined on 8/16/2014I have eaten here 4 times so far. Every other visit, I have received poor service. This time we asked for to-go boxes. We accepted her offer to pack it. It took her so long to return (5+ minutes) I started to wonder if it was thrown away and the order needed to be remade. Wonder if it would have been quicker to box it ourselves? I recommend the food but if you are on a time limit you will be taking a chance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Ribeye EverBamaLoriDined on 8/10/2014We went for lunch on a Sunday, it was not crowded at all. I expected a lunch menu, but there was not one, it's the same price for dinner and lunch, that was a little disappointing as the prices are quite high. We'd gone for sushi, but I love a good rib-eye, so I took a risk and ordered it. I'm very particular about it not being over cooked. I'll have to say it was the best medium rare on the rare side that I've ever ordered out, perfectly charred on the outside as well. It was heavy on the salty side however, so next time I guess I'll have to ask to go lightly on that. The wasabi mashed potatoes tasted like just regular mashed potatoes, not sure where the wasabi factors in there. Dumplings were not pretty, but good. Great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 32 reviews are from the Asian Rim Sushi Company reviews archive.
- gracefruitDined on 7/19/2014Dinner tonight was rather disappointing. The food was average and the service slow and curt. I was also rather let down to see the dessert menu completely different than what I found online. It's the sort of place I'd file under "good for Birmingham" but not good by the standards of other areas with far more dining options. I will not be back.
- Really bad incompetent serviceTonyG931Dined on 7/14/2014The service is terrible here. I wish I knew our servers name she had two large ponytails she was one of the worst servers I ever had. She came to the table 10 minutes after we were seated and said it was busy but it was slowing down then walked away. She came back to our table and and not saying anything (she did this several times) so we just ordered. My wife ordered the Tempura fish & stix it was 2 small pieces of fish over soggy fries and slaw at $16 a rip off. Our meals did not come out at the same time. She said they were backed up because it was $1 sushi night which they told us nothing about and I waited another 10 minutes for my sushi it was good. We were not greeted by the server or anyone as we exited. I will never return.
- Sushi in Birmingham, ALHungryTravelerDined on 5/22/2014Birmingham is not know for its Sushi but Asian Rim is very good and is a good price.Special Features:
- Asian Rim a wonderful find....SteveDined on 5/11/2014My family has dined at Asian Rim twice now, and have found the food and service to be outstanding. We'll be going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good neighborhood gemLuvtochillDined on 5/3/2014Godd and friendly service, food was good, but poor mixed drinksSpecial Features:
- Sunday night outOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/9/2014We enjoyed our dinner outside in the wonderful weather! The food was delicious and our waiter was incredible!Special Features:
- Excellent SushibhamfoodieDined on 2/22/2014Since finding Asian Rim, we have enjoyed everything we have tried ... we continue to try all of the different sushi rolls and thus far none disappoint...the service is great, but the food is divine...excellent little spot for some really great sushi.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lacking serviceKstaple1Dined on 2/21/2014Took long to get the good out. Even drink refills were nonexistent. Food was great though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good sushi, will go backiheartwineDined on 2/21/2014We are always looking for good, creative sushi in Birmingham, We tried 3 rolls and were happy with all three. We also had sashimi that was a generous portion and very fresh.Special Features:
- Fantastic Menukbb1VIPDined on 2/16/2014We happened upon this place a few weeks ago and have been 2 more times since. The food is fantastic and the menu is huge, with great variety. The sushi is very good but the remaining menu is even better.Special Features:
- Sushi!BAMSDined on 2/15/2014Everything was spectacular about the place.. besides the drink service... it took forever to get our drinks ordered and delivered to our table all three rounds : (. That is the only complaint I have! Food was exceptional!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valentine's dayvalentinesDined on 2/14/2014I tried this restaurant for Valentine's Day mainly because my favorite location was booked. I had reservations for 9:15 and ended up having to wait for 30-45 minutes because a table stayed longer than expected and they kept giving tables to people in front of us. The biggest complaint I have is the entree pricing compared to food quality and overall satisfaction was not commensurate. I would not recommend this restaurant to a friend.Special Features:
- Valentine's DinnerGeeDubDined on 2/14/2014Pleasantly surprised with menu selection. Plan to try more items on upcoming visits.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall a nice dineDallDined on 2/14/2014We went on the busiest time of the year for them... "Valentine's day". I thought the service was good, but probably normally better on less hectic days. Had an issue with their reservation system which overbooked them, causing delays for folks with reservations. Waits can happen even when there's not a malfunction, but the wait was long even though we had reservations. The staff was very polite, but the server took a long time to come around the first time(10 minutes). After the initial order and drinks served, the server didn't come by very often. They didn't appear to be understaffed. The food was very good, and i'd recommend this place to others for just the food. Sushi was creative and fresh, and the thai curry was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, but unspeakably pretentious.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/14/2014Took my girlfriend here for Valentine's dinner this month. The sushi, as the name would suggest, was excellent. I'd definitely recommend the Sushi Appetizer. That said, the menu was confusing and pretentious. The many items were needlessly described as "unique" or "famous". Apparently the desert selection is displayed "before your very eyes"(!!) by a "Krewe Member". I don't recall the name of our Krewe Member, but he was extremely inattentive, leaving us waiting for about 40 minutes in between appetizers and entrees. The salmon was good, but the scallops were drowned in a sugary, unpalatable sauce and caked with candied nuts. Good quality seafood overall, but I don't think I'd go again. The novelty wore off very quickly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice Valentine.'s eveningMrEdDined on 2/14/2014We met friends there for an early dinner. Staff was extremely friendly helpful. We ate mostly sushi dishes they recommended and we could not have been more pleased. Food was great, drinks were timely and we will will definitely return!Special Features:
- was ok. 1 of the dumplingsOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/14/2014was ok. 1 of the dumplings was notably cold - seems maybe they were microwaved... food was ok, one of the starters was excessively spicy; ambiance was ok, service was above average - overall is ok and we were there on a very busy night - on an off night might be a little better. I wouldn't avoid Asian Rim but at the same time I can't rave about them either. they are ok.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our favorite Sushi in BirminghamEddieDined on 2/14/2014This is by far the best Sushi restaurant in Birmingham. The fish is fresh, the rolls are huge and creative. Stop going to the overpriced place in Homewood because of the atmosphere and go to Asian Rim....you will be glad you did!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Underwhelming Valentine'sOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/14/2014Underwhelming Valentine's Day dinner despite the other reviews
- Great food and serviceLolaDined on 1/27/2014The food is some of the best I have had and the service is impeccable.Special Features:
- Nice Surprise...MaxurbnDined on 12/20/2013I found this gem of a sushi restaurant to be quite charming. The food was GREAT!!! The atmosphere was very friendly and the staff were very courteous. If you like sushi then you must give Asian Rim a try, you won't regret it...Special Features:
- what a treatkristinavDined on 12/14/2013Excellent experience- food was superb and the service top notch love the cucumber mojitoSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- first time eating hereTishDined on 8/7/2013i went here on thursday, august 8, 2013 around 5 or 6pm. i went here with my boyfriend. i want to go here to get some sushi, to celebrate me getting a job, and to get some new experience in new foods. i got the miso soup. sorry, if i spelled that wrong. the soup was very yummy. then i got california, spider and eel sushi rolls. all the sushi was good, but the eel end up being my favorite. the cali roll is my second favorite. i had dessert a chocolate mousse and red velvet cake thingy. my total is up coming to 50 dollars. 50 bucks was my budget anyway. i just didn't know i would spend the whole thing. actually my total was 48.56 and i gave the change the my wonderful waiter as a tip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best sushi in BirminghamBloodparrotVIPDined on 6/23/2013The sushi is fantastic. In addition, the menu for children is creative...Monkey Roll with bread as the roll filled with banana and peanut butter.I would recommend this to a friend.
- The service was terrific.MontyDined on 6/7/2013The service was terrific. The waiter made a few suggestions, that were delicious. And the extensive sushi menu, had items you don't see everywhere else. There were 4 of us....2 got sushi and it was great. 1 got a steak and 1 got the scallops.....all were delicious. Highly reccomendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Wonderful Find!tman9923Dined on 5/31/2013This place had good sushi and some of the best entrees you can find. I strongly recommend the Miso Sea Bass...it melts in your mouth and was cooked perfectly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great PlaceJoyceDined on 5/26/2013The food was wonderful, the ambience was great, but the service made the trip worth while! I loved it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great sashimiMisterZeeVIPDined on 5/14/2013We sat outside and had a very nice dinner. Small Sashimi plate (20 pieces) was very fresh and tasty. My coworker got a sushi roll with salmon, and it had some bones in it. That's the first time I've ever seen bones in sushi, but it still tasted good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good sushi, nice serviceswimmerpcDined on 5/12/2013Stumbled upon the Asian Rim one day while driving through the Colonnade and decided to give it a try. The decor was modern and inviting, the service very good and the food on par with some of the better sushi places in town. I especially liked the edamane humus as an appetizer and the signature roll - the Hawaiian - was a very pleasant surprise. They also offer daily specials including a Tuesday night 3 pieces for a dollar special. If you like sushi, you won't be disappointed at the Asian Rim.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good value overall. Not the4peregrinoVIPDined on 4/19/2013Good value overall. Not the best sushi in town, but certainly the best value. Edemame humus and bento salads I had were excellent. Buttherfish was well executed on Miso. My companion had Red Dragon and calamari. She liked them, but the delicacy of ingredients was not the best. All in all, an excellent new addition to town. Easy to get a spotSpecial Features:
- Host was very attentive butOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 4/15/2013Host was very attentive but server was inexperienced and seemed overwhelmed. Sushi was good and menu has extensive variety of sushi rolls. Overall, Asian Rim was OK but could be better.