1315 S Wabash Ave
Chicago, IL 60605Neighborhood:
ChinesePrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.asian-outpost.com/
- Phone: (312) 662-1100
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm
Lunch: Thursday - Sunday: 11:00am - 4:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Asian, Chinese
- Executive Chef: David Lee
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Takeout, Wine
- Special Events: Please contact Lois at 312-504-7998
A word from Asian Outpost
Inspired by the legacy of our families in America, we bring you Asian Outpost. Our heritage dates back to turn of the 20th century when great grandfather Woo arrived in Hawaii to study medicine and to the 1950s when our grandparents migrated here to operate their restaurants. Now, we embark on our journey at Asian Outpost in order to share our heritage with you. We are heavily influenced by the communal meals prepared at our family gatherings. Some of our food is created from family recipes and some take on a more local taste. No matter the recipe, all of our dishes revolve around our desire to cook and serve food that our friends and family can enjoy.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerChinese
Asian Outpost - Best Restaurants in South Loop ›
Asian Outpost reviews from OpenTable diners
35 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (24)fit for foodies (19)good for groups (12)great for outdoor dining (10)romantic (9)great for lunch (9)special occasion (8)kid-friendly (4)hot spot (4)notable wine list (2)scenic view (2)great for brunch (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- BJ's Black Birthday BashAsianOutpostSparklesDined on 11/16/2014David, Lois and their staff were great. Extremely accommodating to our party of 12. My friend had the hot sake and the lettuce wraps - which were both very good. A number of us had the ginger fried chicken - amazing - crunchy and juicy. The mango and passion fruit sodas were extremely refreshing. I had the sushi made with a black rice. I'd never tried black rice before but had to try since the evening's theme was "black". Again Asian Outpost delivered. The rice was denser than a white or brown rice - nutty and a touch on the savory side. The salmon was another hit - grilled perfectly. Overall a very nice experience. The desserts - a plethora of cheesecakes were creamy, smooth and delicious - especially the lemon and the pumpkin :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the good here.LouisXIVVIPDined on 11/8/2014This was our fourth of fifth visit to Asian Outpost. We love the ginger garlic fried chicken (crisp skin and moist inside) and the ribs (perfectly cooked with a nice not too sweet asian inspired bbq sauce. They improved the side dishes since they first opened, though adding an up charge for certain sides makes no sense to me. The "crispy" green beans is a new addition as a side, since our last visit. They were tasty but not crispy, more like "wrinkled green beans" I've had at other restaurants. Also a $3 up charge for those, though one serving would be enough for 2-3 people. They make their own fruit sodas (Passion fruit, mango and raspberry), which are tasty. However, waiter asked if I wanted a "refill" on mine, but charged for two.Special Features:
- Food was great - wine good tooksnickelVIPDined on 10/18/2014I dined with a couple of friends and we had beef skewers and edname for apps (yummy), I had the jasmine rice with vegetables and tofu and steak; it was really good; a large portion (had enought for dinner at home another night). One of my friends had the fried chicken and loved it and another had the ribs and thought they were some of the best he ever had. We split a red wine from South Africa and loved it too - prices are really good for food and wine and service was good. Ordered the lemonicello cake to split for dessert and liked so much - ordered the chocolate cake to split as well - both were outstanding - although I lean a little towards the lemonicello cakeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good foodMrWiseDined on 10/9/2014I have always wanted to try this place. I finally did when I took my friend to dinner here. The food was good & different from other places. I was satisfied and had an excellent time. The building is gorgeous on the insideSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love AO!Mfaz1550VIPDined on 10/4/2014This neighborhood gem just keeps getting better and better. We've tried virtually everything on the menu and love it all. If you haven't been there you're missing a hidden treasure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Need to come hereLoveatfirstbiteDined on 10/3/2014We picked here to celebrate our 20th Anniversary!! We were totally happy with our whole experience. Service, quality, ambiance, overall a wonderful time. Food was amazing. We will definitely come here every time we are in Chicago!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MUST GO!!!deacrqDined on 9/14/2014BEST FRIED CHICKEN , BEST PORK BELLY SLIDERS AND TRY MANGO SODA SOOO GOOD!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Would go backEmu24VIPDined on 9/13/2014I would try Asian Outpost again. I had the nutty spicy noodles. The dish has nuts in it, but the noodles themselves are not nutty nor spicy. The dish was ok for what it ultimately was. The lemon cake was divine! I would try other itmes from the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Must TryJoeZVIPDined on 9/10/2014If you live in the South Loop, enjoy good Asian food, and haven't been yet. . .you're missing out. My wife and I waited several months before trying the Asian Outpost but have been twice and the food is great, service attentive, all with good ambiance. Oh yeah, and the prices are VERY reasonable. This restaurant is a fantastic addition to our neighborhood because it's unique and delicious. And for those who don't live in the neighborhood, it's well worth the trip.Special Features:
- How to ruin food with poor serviceAnthemBirdyDined on 9/6/2014We went here to celebrate our 34th wedding anniversary. The food is quite good. We had the lettuce wraps (too salty for me) and the chicken and ribs. I ordered a cocktail with the appetizer. I had barely sipped my drink and made it though one wrap when the food came. We were seated at a 2 person table and there was not enough room for the food. I had to quickly eat the second wrap to make room for the food. The server did not blink as he plunked down the food anyway. We ate and the bill was thrown down on the table and the server ran back to the kitchen. Very rude. It was not crowded and it was early. I think perhaps there was trouble in the kitchen. It all happened so fast that I was still finishing my drink when I was done eating.Special Features:
- Enjoyable dinnerAlcesDined on 9/5/2014Very courteous service, limited but tasteful menu, we had ramen soup, sushi platter, and several fancy maki rolls, all very tasty, reasonable prices.Special Features:
- Good meal, reasonable pricesHot4TchrDined on 8/30/2014Took my daughter and her friend (both 14) here for dinner before the 1D concert. They had chicken stir fry that wasn't pretty or colorful like most - but was quite yummy. I had a seared tuna sushi roll that was presented beautifully and was absolutely delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ChrisVIPDined on 8/18/2014The ginger garlic fried chicken was most likely the best fried chicken we have ever had, a definite must try. Great selection of wines, tried a red blend - uncensored the waitress told us that the restaurant had an exclusive for it, which was also amazing. It went well with the fried chicken and the forbidden rice maki -a black rice , vegetarian roll. On the menu were also BBQ ribs and ramen noodles, that's for next time. This is now our new favorite place to eat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Place2piggiesDined on 8/18/2014Our meal was wonderful--the fried chicken was very tasty, not greasy, and with a coating that was not too thick. Loved the dipping sauce. My husband's half slab of ribs also had an excellent sauce and the ribs were very tender. The sides, pineapple cole slaw, little corn muffins and black pepper potato salad, were perfect complements, and the appetizer--squah egg rolls--was not to be missed. The decor provides a very pleasant background to the food and it was so nice not to have loud, annoying music. We love the place.Special Features:
- Enjoyed high quality sushiEnjoyingMyMealsDined on 8/17/2014We were seated quickly and greeted warmly. High quality sushi and reasonable prices will bring us back again. Loved the large cucumber salad and the table next to us raved about the ribsSpecial Features:
- SLoopgirlVIPDined on 8/6/2014I love Asian Outpost. The menu is small but packed full of delicious dishes. You don't need a huge menu when you know what you do well, and AO does sushi, rice bowls and ribs WELL. We thoroughly enjoyed our visit. Nathan has been my waiter a few times and is always a delight.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome!SunshineVIPDined on 8/5/2014Great food, nice variety, unique cocktails & fun environment. This is a place to go with a group, girls night out or a nice lunch or dinner with your sweetie. It's a must visit.Special Features:
- The following 32 reviews are from the Asian Outpost reviews archive.
- Move over General TsoMfaz1550VIPDined on 7/13/2014If you haven't tried AO yet you're missing a great twist on Asian food. There are hundreds of places in nearby Chinatown but AO offers sophisticated entrees, sushi and appetizers that you simply can't get on Cermak Ave. If you want chop suey this isn't your kind of place but if you're looking for creative Asian comfort food served with style you'll love Asian Outpost!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/9/2014This was not our first time here. The food is always good and it has a very interesting menu. We're usually dining in the evening so we're not in a big hurry. The service ,however, is not just slow, it's almost non existent. Twice we had to get up and go over to the bar area to get our own drinks. The owners were very apologetic and did comp our last round of Sapporo . Apparently they did not plan for the onslaught of diners that evening ( and both the inside and outside were packed) I don't own a restaurant and so I don't know how to avoid the problem of not enough servers.just be prepared for a leisurely dinner if you go.Special Features:
- Nice option in neighborhoodOrangetabbyVIPDined on 6/21/2014Our first time visiting. Service was attentive--waiter promptly greeted us, and water glasses were kept full and dishes cleared immediately. Skip the tofu green onion skewers but definitely try the ribs. I had the ramen and the shoyu broth was excellent, as were the pork slices with the noodles. We did not try the sushi but we will next time. Waiter brought us the wrong entree and wrong check, but both problems were corrected immediately.
- Great food and patioyummyummyVIPDined on 6/6/2014My friend and I decided to meet for lunch on a Friday, since they are currently open for lunch on Fridays. We sat on the patio, which was a lovely retreat and well designed. I ordered the fried chicken, which was perfectly crisp and delicious. The curry quinoa and the pineapple slaw (not sure of exact names) was good, too. My friend had the cucumber salad, which was just cut up cukes and mandarin orange slices, but she said it was good. She also had the chicken lettuce wraps, which she really enjoyed. The service on the other hand was interesting. The waiter talked too much and was a bit negative. Plus, we had to ask for silverware and napkins, as did the other patrons. I would definitely go back to enjoy the food and patio.Special Features:
- Outpost out of ServicesitnwaitVIPDined on 5/31/2014Waited 15 minutes before telling host to send a waiter, then 35 minutes for a glass of water on so one. Its take out only.Special Features:
- Fresh Asian CuisineHoneyDined on 5/25/2014We keep coming back for the awesome sashimi platter & ginger chicken, with their tasty choices of side dishes. We have tried just about every dish on the menu, and each one is as flavorful as the descriptions. A great neighborhood gem, with enough items to go back & eat 2 or 3 times per week.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Asian missRafaDined on 5/8/2014Came here for graduation dinner and was disappointed. Pork belly sliders and fried chicken were good, everything else was too sweet. Should have skipped the ramen, fried noodles all together. Sushi and drinks were ok. Skip this and just go to Chinatown.
- Different twist on fusionhardtopleaseVIPDined on 4/24/2014Walk into a pleasing dining room that the hostess said is Chinese rustic. The menu offers a very different twist to Chinese cuisine, pairing Mom's fried chicken with corn bread or potato salad. The fried chicken was crisp and corn bread nice complement. Fried rice with shrimp was the best, chock full of endemame and other veggies and served with generous portion of large shrimp on top. Very friendly and sincere service. They really want you to enjoy your dining experience at Asian Outpost.Special Features:
- Great FoodDapperDanDined on 3/22/2014We loved the variety of drinks and food at Asian Outpost. The ramen was fantastic, and the sushi we had was fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food!! DefinitelyLarryVIPDined on 3/22/2014Excellent food!! Definitely will become a routine restaurrant in our family. We love, love the food!!!!Special Features:
- Was averageOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 3/21/2014After reading some reviews , I was excited to check out this place . But really was disappointed. Food was average. We didn't have sushi so may be sushi would been better. We had a noodle dish and something resembling fried rice. Really takeout Chinese food would have been better. Drinks were weak and nothing special. Drinks are better at tapas Valencia... I would unlikely go back to this place. Oh and they didn't pack up our left over. They just brought us the boxes...
- Excellent food - every singleLarryVIPDined on 2/28/2014Excellent food - every single time!!! Great Restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- new to the neighborhoodkirstjenVIPDined on 2/25/2014Asian Outpost has a good selection of Asian food from sushi to BBQ. They have a full bar, but also have a couple of non-alcoholic fruit drinks, rather than just the typical Coke or Pepsi products. The Mango soda was really very good. We started with the edamame, which I thought was better than average with a zesty seasoning. I ordered the seared tuna roll and it was very good and had a nice presentation. Two at the table ordered ribs & said that they were very good. One person ordered the fried chicken & it was also prepared well. If you are in the neighborhood, it would be a good place to check out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great new south loop spot!Illini84VIPDined on 2/15/2014Great food that is fresh and delicious. Wait staff was very accommodating. Booths are spacious and roomy. Drinks are ubpnique and very good. Great spot to enjoy with friends and family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Back again, good againKickapooerDined on 2/15/2014This was a return, for us. We had gone with neighbors last time, and we returned with old friends from the burbs for dinner. As before the food was very good, the serve fine and friendly, and the owners (couple) were friendly and engaged, and we were just regular patrons, noone special. Great place for good food, pleasant environment, at a reasonable price!Special Features:
- A unique menu - some commonLarryVIPDined on 2/14/2014A unique menu - some common foods and others which we were not familiar with. We have tried ribs, fried chicken - excellent choices. Steak plate and nutty chicken tried for the first time and ... all fabulous plates.Special Features:
- Great DinnerTommyDavisDined on 2/14/2014My girl and I went there for Valentines day and it was a date she had to tell all her friends about.Special Features:
- Loved it,SashaDined on 2/6/2014First time and the food was amazing. The fried chicken was awesome and the server Nick was most knowledgeable. The ambiance was homey and comfortable, just like your home kitchen! I will definitely return and have already told friends!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great new south loop spot!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/1/2014Wonderful to see a place like this in the South Loop... Great design, food, and prices. A little disappointed in the undertrained, distracted wait staff, but hoping that gets better with time. Definitely a great new place to check out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- They need more waiters andOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 1/29/2014They need more waiters and more appetizer choices. Not sure why they have American potato salad. Salmon was lovely as was the decor.
- Everything we ate was reallyOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 1/26/2014Everything we ate was really good but not kid-friendly. No child menus. Happy to have them in the neighborhood.Special Features:
- Excellent food and the ambienceLarryVIPDined on 1/25/2014Excellent food and the ambience was great. Rustic warm feeling. Service was excellent!Special Features:
- Wonderful New RestaurantDartyDined on 1/25/2014Our first time at the Asian Outpost & we were all very impressed. Everything was wonderful. The food was excellent, as the decor & service. The small plate Lettuce wrap...Delicious!!! It's portion size was big enough to share for three. My friend ordered the Ramen Noodle soup with Tonkotsu. She said it was delicious & it was a very lg. bowl of soup. I ordered Mom's Ginger Garlic Fried Chicken w/Ruby Red & Seasoned Yellow Curry Quinoa. It was delicious! The chicken was flavorful, crispy & juicy. The slaw is vinaigrette based & made fresh, very crispy & tasty. The quinoa was slightly dry, but good. My husband ordered the Asian BBQ Ribs & Black Pepper Potato salad. Excellent! Great menu & healthy foods. Beautiful presentation. Great valueSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.