420 Park Avenue South
New York, NY 10016Neighborhood:
Gramercy / Flatiron
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://asellina.com/
- Phone: (212) 317-2908
- Hours of Operation:
Daily: 7:00am - 11:00am
Daily: 11:00am - 4:00pm;
Sunday: 6pm -10:00pm
Monday -Thursday: 6:00pm - 11:00pm
Friday - Saturday: 6pm-11:30pm
Saturday & Sunday:11am - 4pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Andrea Montobbio
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Weekly DJs
A word from Asellina Ristorante
Experience the inventive cuisine of Italy and its sensual culture fueled by a historic tale from Pompeii at Asellina. Our menu captures the passion of authentic Italian flavors, while our venue, created by ICRAVE design studio, embodies the energy of contemporary New York City dining in the heart of the Flatiron District. Located in the Gansevoort Park Hotel, Asellina creates a nexus of creative culinary and design energies, making it a prime destination for neighborhood denizens, adventurous fans of Italian cuisine, and anyone else who enjoys superb food served in a sexy atmosphere.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Asellina Ristorante reviews from OpenTable diners
63 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelEnergetic
good for groups (25)hot spot (24)fit for foodies (23)special occasion (21)vibrant bar scene (20)neighborhood gem (14)romantic (10)late-night find (8)great for lunch (7)notable wine list (7)great for brunch (4)kid-friendly (3)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Okay, but not greatOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/15/2014I had positive hopes, but was pretty disappointed. First, we were put at table that was near door to hotel, and when we asked to be moved, were told there was no other option. They did give us nice champagne as gift! I was just disappointed since I had reservation with Open Table that we did not get nicer table. Also, food was okay, not amazing for NY standardsSpecial Features:
- food and atmosphereTomMVIPDined on 10/20/2014the food is always interesting and wonderfully prepared and presented...but the thing that make Asellina special is the interior design. It is really a great space...and the servers are knowledgeable and attentive without being pushy.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/18/2014The food was fabulous. My sister had dietary issues and they were eager to meet them. They out did themselves. Our server was attentive and great. Will be back againSpecial Features:
- Perfect spot for a romantic dateOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014Took my girl here n she loved it. Great food, awesome vibe, and it's next to the rooftop for after hour celebration or relaxation.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Horribly Loud Music Ruined It!LynneDined on 10/15/2014The restaurant is pretty, the food was good and the service and the attention from the manager was excellent, but the music was unbearably loud, club music that totally ruined any semblance of a relaxing dinner experience. We literally had to shout at one another to have a conversation ---very, very, very unpleasant experience! This place is for the under 30 crowd who are already deaf from listening to unbearably loud, ear-splitting music.Special Features:
- New yorkDoctorstrongsauceVIPDined on 10/9/2014Good if you like eating with music, everything was ok any complaintsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Must TryFoodGuyVIPDined on 10/2/2014Food is outstanding. Authentic ingredients with a creative twist. My new goto for Italian.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good weekday lunch destinationmsbnyVIPDined on 9/22/2014I've been here a couple of times with friends for quick weekday lunches and gotten the prix fixe lunch both times which is a great value for $18. Both times I selected an appetizer and an entree. My food was quite good both times. I've had the beet salad, their spaghetti and their mushroom flatbread pizza. All very good. The ambiance is pleasant. Service is attentive and friendly. I want to go back for dinner so I can get a better sense of the menu.Special Features:
- unreal!SharVIPDined on 9/20/2014WE had the best birthday celebration at Asellina The staff was so great, and wonderful, and the food, the atmosphere, the whole experience was an A+++ ! WE cant wait to go back and enjoy the restaurant and club again. The bartender was great sooo nice. Delish! applause to the night.Special Features:
- New Restaurant on Park SouthGTownBoyVIPDined on 9/20/2014Just ok. Food better than service! Great waiter but buss staff slow, and food took forever to get out of the kitchen.
- First time, will not be the last!kalicoDined on 9/17/2014What a great dinner we had at Asellina before a broadway show! The food was amazing and the service fantastic! They were so great at keeping us on track so that we were not late for the show! Highly recommend!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great New York experienceWineAndDineDined on 9/16/2014Food was very good, although wine list not too impressive. High noise level due to loud music played throughout the restaurant (just a little too loud for conversation). Had the squid ink linguini with lobster and shrimp which was excellent. White bean spread for appetizer very nice too. Service was a bit slow, but okay since we weren't in any rush. Would definitely recommend it for an energetic night out...Special Features:
- Recent Asellina lunchPlanetsuristaVIPDined on 9/16/2014Hello, This is one of my go-to restaurants to take VIP clients for lunch as it's across the street from my office. I would recommend it to others only if they fix the issues below soon. I love the resto's layout and modern design, but the noise level is often way too high and the music is always off. Loud/hard rock and roll, outdated pop, etc. just doesn't fit or create the right vibe. Why not create/run a playlist of more ambient, cool music? Also, my lunch this Tues was the worst ever. I ordered my favorite dish of chicken paillard and though pounded so it was not visibly apparent, it was made with dark meat that was hard to chew and didn't have it's usual delicious flavor.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good eatsTeeKDined on 9/15/2014Food was amazing. Everything was fresh. Recommend the squid ink dishSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodieDined on 9/6/2014service was horrible for a boozy brunch, food was fantastic (when it finally arrived)
- Nice atmosphere but too loud!erizzleDined on 8/26/2014The food was delicious and the ambience was nice. However, the dj played some cluby music soooo loud that it just didn't go well with the elegant atmosphere at all. We had to yell at each other in order to hear our conversations. And it was only 8pm!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lots of funJabber62Dined on 8/20/2014Food was amazing. Waiter had great suggestions for food and wine. He was right on the mark. As the evening got busier we had long periods of our waiter being MIA because I think he was so busy. But overall the experience was awesome and I will be back. Beware it is LOUD and it is difficult to have conversations with large groups, but the music was really good. Fun hip spot.Special Features:
- Overall a good choicefoodiefactsDined on 8/12/2014I travel to the city a lot for work and tend to eat out by myself at least one night a week. The atmosphere at Asellina was outstanding. The music was appropriate and the decor was really nice. The food was also VERY good. I had the hearts of romaine Caesar and the pappardelle with veal bolognese both of which were delicious and I would highly recommend. My only criticism is that the service could have been better. My server was very nice, but seemed rushed to get my order in. Also, I saw couples and groups of 4 order comparable dishes to what I ordered and they would receive their entree before mine. Finally, when it got busier, I saw my server less and less as if he was paying better attention to the larger parties.Special Features:
- Terrific menuOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/11/2014Loved everything about this restaurant. The small appetizers were great. Shared the black ink pasta & the half roasted chicken- both were wonderful. Our waitress was delightful and very helpful with ordering.Special Features:
- Romantic atmosphere, good foodAmz422VIPDined on 8/8/2014Great good, great friendly service though our server was either stoned or too tall because he kept mishearing what we were saying or asking him. The music from the DJ might have been too loud but great experience overall nonetheless.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Way too loud!david212VIPDined on 8/6/2014I was entertaining cleints and had a 6:30pm Wed reservation. We we seated immediately and the dinning room environment was lovely. At 6:50pm the music was turned way up and the would not comply with repeated requests to turn it down. It seems that they were trying to create a night club setting at 7pm midweek. And it definitely was cool and not working.Special Features:
- ExcellentAnaPDined on 8/2/2014Great vibe, delicious food and good service. I recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place to celebrate birthdayDagmarDined on 7/31/2014Four ladies, night out, coming from all over the NYC, 9PM meeting time...ANSELLINA is the place to go. The service was amazing, starting with the hostess, ending with our waiter KYLE :) We had cocktails, pasta, cheese and meat plates and all was DELICIOUS!!! The music was a bit loud for us to sit at a table and talk, but with the few rounds of drinks we had, we did not mind it that much. We will be back :)Special Features:
- The following 425 reviews are from the Asellina Ristorante reviews archive.
- excellentCloeee21Dined on 7/26/2014Great food and excellent service. Would go back again and I would recommend it to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PBrennanVIPDined on 7/25/2014We went to Asellina for dinner and I ordered the pasta with lobster and shrimp. It was greasy, absolutely swimming in oil. Had to ask for everything twice. Would not go back. Checck your receipt - price on menu was not price charged, had to show we were overcharged.
- Great for lunch and dinnerchrsjhnsnVIPDined on 7/9/2014It's rare to find a restaurant in midtown that can handle a quiet business lunch and a table-of-15 dinner with equal excellence. Asellina does both. Beautiful space, excellent service and very good food; prices are reasonable for the location, and reservations are unusually easy to come by.Special Features:
- GiaMaria2014Dined on 7/8/2014The food was not exceptional, but it was good. The service was wonderful, and the manager, Nicola, was very attentive and enthusiastic. He made customers feel special and welcome. The ambiance is nice. Great for both a date or a girls' nite. The white sangria is one of the best I've had. I would like to see more fish selections on the menu.Special Features:
- consistently near-perfectSurnadalDined on 7/1/2014We have been to Asellina several times and have never had a negative experience. We have taken out-of-town guests and NYC friends to dinner here and all have enjoyed it very much. The salads, the pizzas, the short ribs, the black ink pasta, and meatballs, are some of our favorites. The service is always top-notch, even when the restaurant is packed. Don't think less of this restaurant because it is in a hotel...it feels completely separate. We have been to many more 'pricier' restaurants in NYC and feel Asellina is equal if not better in all categories. Asellina will continue to be one of our favorite restaurants in Manhattan.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Do not go on a Sunday nightOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/29/2014The reviews say vibrant scene and great ambiance, but on a Sunday night the place is dead and full of kids.
- Enjoyable Brunchurd202VIPDined on 6/21/2014Brunch was good - not the best spot for vegetarians/vegans. The only entree I could eat (as a vegetarian) was one of their salads. Fortunately my friends offered me some of their toast/fries so I had some carbs in my meal. My friends and I wanted to do outdoor brunch (since the weather has been so nice) and, even with their limited outdoor seating, the restaurant was able to accommodate our request for an outdoor table. We also wanted to do bottomless brunch - which I thought this a true bottomless brunch option. Apparently they have a limit of 5 drinks over the two hours. While I didn't need more than 5 glasses, I was disappointed that this wasn't more clearly stated on their menu.Special Features:
- We loved the pizza with an egg.MorningDined on 6/9/2014The staff was friendly and fun. We loved the pizza with egg. The crust looked so delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Roof Deck Brunch on SaturdaySophiaDined on 6/7/2014No one there at 1pm except at the pool (hotel guests only) Limited brunch menu. Service spotty but two drinks allowed on menu were good and the beef sliders were delicious. You could sit on large lounge chairs which would have been nice for sunning in a bathing suit. SophiaSpecial Features:
- Great food, great foodNYNJDinerDined on 6/4/2014This is the second time I've eaten at Asellina and it was as delicious as the first time. My initial experience was with a group around Christmas and while the food was good, the music was a bit loud. Six months later, the food was great again and the music actually was at a comfortable level - loud enough to enjoy the old school tunes but low enough to carry on a conversation. Service and staff was great both times, very helpful with dining suggestions. I would recommend for a night out with friends, a date, or a business dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- convenient mealOpenTable1VIPDined on 6/3/2014was staying at the hotel, restaurant was convenient since it was raining and we didn't want to go out of our way. they were shooting a reality show next to out table, was fun to watch.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall pretty good!Tat011Dined on 6/3/2014My cocktail was excellent! The host did his best to seat us, as the taping of a reality show apparently slowed down seating. He was very helpful and attentive. Our waitress was fantastic. Very friendly, likeable, and conversed with us quite a bit. Very nice decor and atmosphere. Food was good but didn't blow us away. I had the margherita pizza with whole wheat crust (good!), the pasta sauce was probably a 3.5 on a scale from 1-5. The s'mores dessert was pretty good as well! Nothing spectacular though. Would go back maybe.Special Features:
- 4foodieVIPDined on 5/22/2014Service was great and they had the Best mac & cheese Ever!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A super Italiano reslitenmiaDined on 5/21/2014Super nice romantik stile .Good service friendly caring staff.The food was marvelous. The best restaurant we been to in New york.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- awesome place!!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 5/16/2014we live in montreal and love our wknd getaways in nyc, been to Aselinna 4 times and each time was better than other! incredible and personal service (Dave), energetic ambience, loved the DJ and the food beyond outstanding!!!!Special Features:
- WonderfulMAS2013VIPDined on 5/12/2014Fabulous decor, great friendly service, yummy food and great wineSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NYCfoodieVIPDined on 5/10/2014Asellina is a beautiful, trendy restaurant. Went with my parents for dinner while they were visiting the city for the weekend since I had heard good things about brunch. Dining experience was good but would have to admit that we were underwhelmed by the dishes. We ordered: Calamari as an appetizer, Branzino, Bucatini pasta which was a special, Chocolate Ganache Calamari was great and the side sauces were a nice touch. Towards the end though, our tongues were burning from the amount of salt. The branzino was our most disappointing dish. The fillet was sitting on a 4 inch piece of bread and was a little fishy. The pasta dish was the best by far, very good and would recommend. Dessert was also delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.