420 Park Avenue South
New York, NY 10016Neighborhood:
Gramercy / Flatiron
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://asellina.com/
- Phone: 2123172908x
- Hours of Operation:
Daily: 7:00am - 11:00am
Daily: 11:00am - 4:00pm;
Sunday: 6pm -10:00pm
Monday -Thursday: 6:00pm - 11:00pm
Friday - Saturday: 6pm-11:30pm
Saturday & Sunday:11am - 4pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Andrea Montobbio
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Weekly DJs
A word from Asellina Ristorante
Experience the inventive cuisine of Italy and its sensual culture fueled by a historic tale from Pompeii at Asellina. Our menu captures the passion of authentic Italian flavors, while our venue, created by ICRAVE design studio, embodies the energy of contemporary New York City dining in the heart of the Flatiron District. Located in the Gansevoort Park Hotel, Asellina creates a nexus of creative culinary and design energies, making it a prime destination for neighborhood denizens, adventurous fans of Italian cuisine, and anyone else who enjoys superb food served in a sexy atmosphere.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Asellina Ristorante reviews from OpenTable diners
81 reviews since May 6, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (32)special occasion (28)hot spot (26)vibrant bar scene (24)fit for foodies (23)romantic (21)neighborhood gem (21)great for lunch (15)notable wine list (13)late-night find (11)great for brunch (10)scenic view (4)kid-friendly (4)great for outdoor dining (3)Show More
- Nice atmosphere but too loud!erizzleDined on 8/26/2014The food was delicious and the ambience was nice. However, the dj played some cluby music soooo loud that it just didn't go well with the elegant atmosphere at all. We had to yell at each other in order to hear our conversations. And it was only 8pm!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lots of funJabber62Dined on 8/20/2014Food was amazing. Waiter had great suggestions for food and wine. He was right on the mark. As the evening got busier we had long periods of our waiter being MIA because I think he was so busy. But overall the experience was awesome and I will be back. Beware it is LOUD and it is difficult to have conversations with large groups, but the music was really good. Fun hip spot.Special Features:
- Overall a good choicefoodiefactsDined on 8/12/2014I travel to the city a lot for work and tend to eat out by myself at least one night a week. The atmosphere at Asellina was outstanding. The music was appropriate and the decor was really nice. The food was also VERY good. I had the hearts of romaine Caesar and the pappardelle with veal bolognese both of which were delicious and I would highly recommend. My only criticism is that the service could have been better. My server was very nice, but seemed rushed to get my order in. Also, I saw couples and groups of 4 order comparable dishes to what I ordered and they would receive their entree before mine. Finally, when it got busier, I saw my server less and less as if he was paying better attention to the larger parties.Special Features:
- Terrific menuOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/11/2014Loved everything about this restaurant. The small appetizers were great. Shared the black ink pasta & the half roasted chicken- both were wonderful. Our waitress was delightful and very helpful with ordering.Special Features:
- Romantic atmosphere, good foodAmz422VIPDined on 8/8/2014Great good, great friendly service though our server was either stoned or too tall because he kept mishearing what we were saying or asking him. The music from the DJ might have been too loud but great experience overall nonetheless.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Way too loud!david212VIPDined on 8/6/2014I was entertaining cleints and had a 6:30pm Wed reservation. We we seated immediately and the dinning room environment was lovely. At 6:50pm the music was turned way up and the would not comply with repeated requests to turn it down. It seems that they were trying to create a night club setting at 7pm midweek. And it definitely was cool and not working.Special Features:
- ExcellentAnaPDined on 8/2/2014Great vibe, delicious food and good service. I recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place to celebrate birthdayDagmarDined on 7/31/2014Four ladies, night out, coming from all over the NYC, 9PM meeting time...ANSELLINA is the place to go. The service was amazing, starting with the hostess, ending with our waiter KYLE :) We had cocktails, pasta, cheese and meat plates and all was DELICIOUS!!! The music was a bit loud for us to sit at a table and talk, but with the few rounds of drinks we had, we did not mind it that much. We will be back :)Special Features:
- excellentCloeee21Dined on 7/26/2014Great food and excellent service. Would go back again and I would recommend it to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PBrennanVIPDined on 7/25/2014We went to Asellina for dinner and I ordered the pasta with lobster and shrimp. It was greasy, absolutely swimming in oil. Had to ask for everything twice. Would not go back. Checck your receipt - price on menu was not price charged, had to show we were overcharged.
- Great for lunch and dinnerchrsjhnsnVIPDined on 7/9/2014It's rare to find a restaurant in midtown that can handle a quiet business lunch and a table-of-15 dinner with equal excellence. Asellina does both. Beautiful space, excellent service and very good food; prices are reasonable for the location, and reservations are unusually easy to come by.Special Features:
- GiaMaria2014Dined on 7/8/2014The food was not exceptional, but it was good. The service was wonderful, and the manager, Nicola, was very attentive and enthusiastic. He made customers feel special and welcome. The ambiance is nice. Great for both a date or a girls' nite. The white sangria is one of the best I've had. I would like to see more fish selections on the menu.Special Features:
- consistently near-perfectSurnadalDined on 7/1/2014We have been to Asellina several times and have never had a negative experience. We have taken out-of-town guests and NYC friends to dinner here and all have enjoyed it very much. The salads, the pizzas, the short ribs, the black ink pasta, and meatballs, are some of our favorites. The service is always top-notch, even when the restaurant is packed. Don't think less of this restaurant because it is in a hotel...it feels completely separate. We have been to many more 'pricier' restaurants in NYC and feel Asellina is equal if not better in all categories. Asellina will continue to be one of our favorite restaurants in Manhattan.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Do not go on a Sunday nightOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/29/2014The reviews say vibrant scene and great ambiance, but on a Sunday night the place is dead and full of kids.
- Enjoyable Brunchurd202VIPDined on 6/21/2014Brunch was good - not the best spot for vegetarians/vegans. The only entree I could eat (as a vegetarian) was one of their salads. Fortunately my friends offered me some of their toast/fries so I had some carbs in my meal. My friends and I wanted to do outdoor brunch (since the weather has been so nice) and, even with their limited outdoor seating, the restaurant was able to accommodate our request for an outdoor table. We also wanted to do bottomless brunch - which I thought this a true bottomless brunch option. Apparently they have a limit of 5 drinks over the two hours. While I didn't need more than 5 glasses, I was disappointed that this wasn't more clearly stated on their menu.Special Features:
- We loved the pizza with an egg.MorningDined on 6/9/2014The staff was friendly and fun. We loved the pizza with egg. The crust looked so delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Roof Deck Brunch on SaturdaySophiaDined on 6/7/2014No one there at 1pm except at the pool (hotel guests only) Limited brunch menu. Service spotty but two drinks allowed on menu were good and the beef sliders were delicious. You could sit on large lounge chairs which would have been nice for sunning in a bathing suit. SophiaSpecial Features:
- Great food, great foodNYNJDinerDined on 6/4/2014This is the second time I've eaten at Asellina and it was as delicious as the first time. My initial experience was with a group around Christmas and while the food was good, the music was a bit loud. Six months later, the food was great again and the music actually was at a comfortable level - loud enough to enjoy the old school tunes but low enough to carry on a conversation. Service and staff was great both times, very helpful with dining suggestions. I would recommend for a night out with friends, a date, or a business dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- convenient mealOpenTable1VIPDined on 6/3/2014was staying at the hotel, restaurant was convenient since it was raining and we didn't want to go out of our way. they were shooting a reality show next to out table, was fun to watch.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall pretty good!Tat011Dined on 6/3/2014My cocktail was excellent! The host did his best to seat us, as the taping of a reality show apparently slowed down seating. He was very helpful and attentive. Our waitress was fantastic. Very friendly, likeable, and conversed with us quite a bit. Very nice decor and atmosphere. Food was good but didn't blow us away. I had the margherita pizza with whole wheat crust (good!), the pasta sauce was probably a 3.5 on a scale from 1-5. The s'mores dessert was pretty good as well! Nothing spectacular though. Would go back maybe.Special Features:
- 4foodieVIPDined on 5/22/2014Service was great and they had the Best mac & cheese Ever!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A super Italiano reslitenmiaDined on 5/21/2014Super nice romantik stile .Good service friendly caring staff.The food was marvelous. The best restaurant we been to in New york.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- awesome place!!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 5/16/2014we live in montreal and love our wknd getaways in nyc, been to Aselinna 4 times and each time was better than other! incredible and personal service (Dave), energetic ambience, loved the DJ and the food beyond outstanding!!!!Special Features:
- WonderfulMAS2013VIPDined on 5/12/2014Fabulous decor, great friendly service, yummy food and great wineSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NYCfoodieDined on 5/10/2014Asellina is a beautiful, trendy restaurant. Went with my parents for dinner while they were visiting the city for the weekend since I had heard good things about brunch. Dining experience was good but would have to admit that we were underwhelmed by the dishes. We ordered: Calamari as an appetizer, Branzino, Bucatini pasta which was a special, Chocolate Ganache Calamari was great and the side sauces were a nice touch. Towards the end though, our tongues were burning from the amount of salt. The branzino was our most disappointing dish. The fillet was sitting on a 4 inch piece of bread and was a little fishy. The pasta dish was the best by far, very good and would recommend. Dessert was also delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- way too loudtheNomadDined on 5/9/2014Way too loud, and I'm not too old. It was basically impossible to have a conversation without shouting acriss the table. Otherwise food was OK.Special Features:
- UncomfortableNeighborhoodgemVIPDined on 5/6/2014We went 3 girls for dinner. We took a table with a booth. My friends were sitting by the wall and I sat outside with my back to the isle where people were walking. I was being constantly hit by the passing by waiters and other guests. One man accidently hit my head with his elbow. Staff was very slow. It took forever to get our food ordered. We had to ask for refill of our wine. And the restaurant was half full. Not recommending this place to anyone! It was an embarrassment in front of my business client. The only good thing I can say- food was not bad at all. I would do a take out instead 😄Special Features:
- The following 406 reviews are from the Asellina Ristorante reviews archive.
- Food Good Service TerribleEatoutGalDined on 4/29/2014Frequent this restaurant. Recent visit was a big disappointment. Service was barely existent. Sat for more than 20 minutes before we could summon someone to come to the table to get a menu. Service is usually spotty here but this was a new low. Time is of the essence at lunch. Hire more staff in the lunch hour timeframe if necessary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwfulLovefoodDined on 4/23/2014I travelled from Australia to NY for my 30th Birthday and had made several reservations prior to arriving- one of which was Asellina. Our first impression with both the hostess and the barman was that they were incredibly rude, and did not smile once or make us feel welcome at all- in fact, we were made to feel like we should feel lucky to be there. We ordered our starters only to be advised 20 minutes later that ours had been given to the table next to ours and that we would have to wait for more. We finally received our starters, and then waited a further 1.5hrs for 2 bowls of bland pasta. All in all, a pretentious, overcrowded establishment with extremely ordinary food and wait times. I would never recommend this restaurant to anyone.
- Terrific Lunch spot in midtownOutofTownerDined on 4/22/2014Asellina is great spot in midtown, extremely friendly and welcoming staff, great food, easy access - had an excellent business lunch appointment in a trendy midtown setting! I will definitely return when I'm in town - for the warm welcome and great meal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was outstanding. It wasOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/13/2014Food was outstanding. It was a Sunday so noise level was moderate as the restaurant was not crowded. The manager was terrific the wait staff seemed a bit inexperienced. But we were there with five people and had a wonderful evening.Special Features:
- asellinaOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/4/2014Beautiful inside! Food was great, in particular the braised short ribs. We ordered pizza and meatballs for appetizers, both of which were great. Our waiter was awesome though he disappeared for long periods at times, but he made helpful suggestions. Wine was top-notch as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hi, I told the waiter I wasCarolfromBrooklynDined on 3/29/2014Hi, I told the waiter I was gluten intolerant and asked if I could order the burger without the bun. He assured me the burger was without breadcrumbs so that would no problem. when my entre came, it was only a burger in a frying pan, no French fries or salad or cheese or basil dressing as indicated on the menu. My friend got the wrong pizza. I asked him where the other items to my meal were and he said the fries had gluten. So finally, he brought me reg. fries. and then took back the rare burger and 20 minutes later I got another burger this time with cheese and fries and salad. it took 1 hour from the time we ordered for us to get what we actually ordered.
- Food was GREAT/SUCH a fun nightDanielleP143VIPDined on 3/27/2014Great experience-but the waiter was a bit...socially awkward. The manager took care of us though and made sure we had a great night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WAY TOO LOUDOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/20/2014To try to sit and enjoy a meal and conversation would never happen in this resturant. The music was so loud, we couldn't hear each other. never even stayed for dinner, we left after a glass of wine.
- Consistently good foodKDNYCVIPDined on 3/20/2014This was my fourth visit and although the menu changes each time, I always find something delicious. There is a beautiful modern fireplace in the bar area that is very welcoming, as were the staff. The background music is loud but upbeat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stellar experienceTinaTDined on 3/14/2014Asselina had great food, phenomenal drinks and superb service. I had the Dionusia cocktail which is great, but can get very sweet with the second one. We also had the braised short ribs and the lasagna which both were so great. Our server was very attentive and the DJ played all of our favorite songs, but we were still able to enjoy our conversation. Would definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ambience PerfectionOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/7/2014It's a common misconception that places fit for a romantic evening are dim and quiet and the loud places are often rowdy. Asellina breaks all stereotypes of such sort providing a romantic venue with an entertaining kick given their elegant image paired with their excellent DJ. Overall great experienceSpecial Features:
- Great feel, great and ok foodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/7/2014The food was Italian, but the atmosphere was contemporary, not mom-and-pop! The service was also very attentive and professional without being in your face. I started with the meatball appetizer which was great! I definitely recommend it. The meatballs were soft and delicious, but the cheese melted over them and the marinara were even better. Plus they gave you two pieces of grilled bread which had a great, tasty char (not burnt) which was perfect for soaking up the sauce. For my main course, I had the chicken milanese...which was good, but very salty and otherwise simple. I would go back, but I would probably get one of their pasta dishes which admittedly looked more interesting than the milanese anyways.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Drinks...WOWLuv2eatDined on 3/5/2014Enjoyed a lovely meal at restaurant week!! Our server was so sweet The drinks sangria and strawberry martini were amazing!!!! Great ambience and very vibrant!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.