4156 N. Kedzie
Chicago, IL 60618Neighborhood:
ThaiPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.arunsthai.com/
- Phone: 7735391909
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday, Sunday: 5:00PM - 10:00PM, Friday - Saturday5:00PM - 10:30PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Thai
- Executive Chef: Arun Sampanthavivat
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We have an intimate upstairs dining room available for private parties.
- Private Party Contact: Please speak to one of our staff members 7735391909
A word from Arun's
With Arun's innovative Chef's Designed Menu, Arun ignites the rich and inexhaustible traditions of Thai cooking with his own imaginative flair. Arun's offers subtle spicing and intricately balanced flavors in striking presentations. The Chef's Designed Menu is prix fixe degustation, in which the chef presents series of dishes as a "tasting menu", tailored to the preferences of each diner's preferences and to market availability. Our waitstaff gauges the customer's adventurousness, tolerance for spicing, dietary restrictions, allergies and aversions. This degustation showcases Arun's understanding of authentic Thai flavors, fascinating textures, captivating forms , especially his sense of the delicate balance of savory and spicy, light and rich, tender and crispy if not to mention temperature and aroma.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Arun's reviews from OpenTable diners
14 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelQuiet
special occasion (10)fit for foodies (9)romantic (9)neighborhood gem (4)good for groups (2)notable wine list (2)great for brunch (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- TTBBTTBBDined on 9/19/2014Excellent food and service. Quiet and nice wine parings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Thai in Chicago - Hands Down!OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/6/2014If you are looking for the usual pad Thai or green chili curry, don't come here. Arun's is where Thai food meets innovation. The subtlety of flavors is outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Arun is a DisappointmentLyzetteVIPDined on 8/2/2014Arun's 12-course meal is uninteresting and not recommended. It was really disappointing. Thai food is fabulous, but Arun clearly misses the mark. Opart Thai would have been a much better choice. The restaurant had very few guests at the height of Saturday evening dining-for a reason. We were expecting a sensational evening of dining that did not happen. The only good thing about Arun was our table, the servers (although I had to remind one server not to reach over me to clear my boyfriend's plate), and the friendly valet parking attendant. Had the food been good, the experience would have been outstanding. Many courses were fried (a negative), and they unsuccessfully attempted to make very basic dishes interesting. Wine pairing was a joke.Special Features:
- anniversary dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/25/2014Everything was very good but I just can't eat that much food and therefore I feel that I paid too much. But we enjoyed the eveningSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous all around!abnormal456Dined on 7/12/2014Arun's was the perfect spot to take my Dad for his birthday. As a world traveler who has visited Thailand multiple times, he found the menu to be regionally diverse and perfectly executed.Special Features:
- Wowmgp1981VIPDined on 6/27/2014All 12 courses were wonderful ! Loved our waiter and bte experience. Bring your appetite!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great foodhmb1Dined on 6/14/2014great food; service could be better. Men's room not cleanSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 102 reviews are from the Arun's reviews archive.
- unique findteemusDined on 5/31/2014Having experienced places such as MK and Tru (to name a few), this restaurant gives an uncommon twist to commonly perceived Thai cuisine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- rebeccaiVIPDined on 5/25/201412 course chef tasting menu!! it was 6 individual appetizers, 4 shared entrees and 2 desserts. loved all courses except the first dessert - mango with tapioca pearls over sticky rice. some favorites: smoked eggplant, ginger lobster tail, basil chicken.Special Features:
- Too bad...OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 5/25/2014Arun's used to be a truly superb Thai restaurant, but like it's decor the food has become stale. It is also now wildly overpriced. The quality of the ingredients has slid, but the price remains the same. Given that the place was practically empty on Memorial Day weekend I suspect costs had to be cut.
- excellentsherbsDined on 5/17/2014Arun's is very high end Thai food. Fixed menu. We had 12 courses. This was my third time dining at Arun's, and this time I took my wife (her birthday) and two children (ages 14, 16). We are all adventurous eaters and Arun's is perfect for that. Be prepared to be impressed. From the exceptional service to the beautifully plated/delicious food, the place is amazing. Prices are on par with any top shelf restaurant. This place is a one of a kind place and I would highly recommend giving it a try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PhenomenalWildcatDined on 4/11/2014Visiting from Alabama for a wedding and couldn't have found a better place to celebrate. Everything was superb!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Anniversary DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/15/2014The meal was completely delicious, the service was very friendly, and the atmosphere was great. We can only afford meals like this on special occasions, and it's great when the experience lives up to expectations!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutdatedNomadicfeetDined on 3/14/2014I was so excited to try Arun's after hearing amazing things but I was completely underwhelmed. The food was mediocre and did not seem fresh. The restaurant itself is super outdated. It was like being transported to the early 90s. Not worth it for the price.
- Artful and DeliciousRalphDined on 3/11/2014A feast for the eyes and taste buds. They were also very accommodating about dietary restrictions, making appropriate substitutions for those diners requesting them. Clearly it's all made custom from scratch. The 12-course fixed menu may seem like a lot of food, but it's amazing how much one can eat if it's paced appropriately. It starts out beautiful and delicious, and then just gets better. The price is high, but very reasonable for what you get. This is a place for people who appreciate food. If your focus is on something else and the food is secondary, you are wasting an opportunity.Special Features:
- HorribleWasteDined on 3/8/2014I have been to Arun's before and found it fun. This time...the service as awkward, disjointed and unprofessional. Like teenagers playing dress up. The food was not good. Noodles and Company prepares better thai food. I will never go back again. A waste of time and money.
- Thai cuisine at its bestVralitigatorDined on 2/9/2014This family owned and operated Thai restaurant rivals the very best that I have experienced in DC and NY. A 20 course fixed price dinner was served in an unhurried way by knowledgeable servers who took the time to explain each dish and guide us through this culinary journey. Located on Kedzie Avenue about a ten minute taxi ride from the loop, this is a true neighborhood gem and a true 10!Special Features:
- Waaaay too expensive for what it isfoodiefanaticVIPDined on 2/1/2014Don't get me wrong, the food was good but was it worth $300 per couple? I don't think so. There was way too much chicken served. Sure there was lobster in one course, but I think at least 3 courses had chicken in them. The ambiance is terrible - it was as bright as my office or a McDonald's. Our servers were o.k. but at this price, it was a little too kitchy for me.
- alive and wellsenatorVIPDined on 1/28/2014Aruns a Chicago Thai classic. no one does it better in chicago fixed prix dinner is well paced with stunning presentations and flavors to match. good example of paying for what you get- it's expensive, but worth itSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurant, but be preparedOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 1/26/2014Great restaurant, but be prepared for the fixed price menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I had high hopes for Arun's,OpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 1/18/2014I had high hopes for Arun's, which has been on my radar for 25 years and just now had the opportunity to dine there. Unfortunately, I think Arun's time has come and gone. The dishes were fine, but essentially a well-presented array of straightforward Thai-American greatest hits that can be found at any number of other restaurants at a fraction of the price (and in many instances, executed with more finese). I'm glad I finally went to Arun's, but I'm sorry I didn't go 20 years ago.
- Wonderful - but missed expectationsFoodieDined on 1/18/2014This used to be called one of the best restaurants in the country. When considering wine/beer tax/tip and $85/person for the fixed meal - I'd expect something fabulous for $275. It was very nice - but not at the level they bill themselves. The 12 courses were rather diverse - but some so large that the meal became more about stuffing in the food than the delicacies of taste. Also, I had to reserve my table with a credit card before they would keep my reservation. Seriously? Finally, this restaurant is out in the suburbs - in a bit of an odd neighborhood. So no strolling around afterwards. I wouldn't recommend a friend spend their time there when there are so many fabulous choices to try in Chicago.Special Features:
- Best Birthday CelebrationMarshaVIPDined on 1/7/2014The food and service at Arun's was the very best. It was a birthday celebration that will remain in our memories and our hearts forever.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience, but not perfectzamartinDined on 1/4/2014My bf eats everything, but I am a picky vegetarian who does not eat mushrooms, so I had noted that on my reservation. We reconfirmed that at the hostess station, then were brought to our seats. However, the moment the first arrived and was presented (by a very sweet, funny server), it was clear that the kitchen did not know of either my vegetarianism or my dislike of mushrooms, so with many apologies, our server returned it to the kitchen. From that point on, the vegetarian dishes were forthcoming (and delicious), but to my dismay at least two of them had mushrooms. Luckily, I am not allergic. The staff were quick to gift us free drinks, which was lovely and unnecessary.Special Features:
- Food as ArtOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/21/2013I was pretty amazed by the presentation Arun's provided, my girlfriend loved the things they carved out of carrots.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Past Its PrimeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/24/2013Arun's has enjoyed a great run in Chicago. Sadly, it best days may be best viewed in the rear view mirror. Our recent visit found the place to be faded, aging and over-priced. From the badly water-stained ceiling tiles to the $85 tasting menu the experience was less than hoped for and not reflective of Arun/s glory days. The food is still wonderful to look at and fun to eat, but Chicago offers many better places to spend $500 on a meal for 4. I was particularly disappointed with the wine list. While many "old" standards are offered I can't believe this list has been looked at by a knowledgeable wine professional in over a decade. Arun's is a Chicago classic, and worth a visit, but you would have been better served going 10 years ago.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Arun's is always a treat!billDined on 11/13/2013Arun's is always a treat! Great flavors accented by the crispness of the ingredients. Portions are perfect for the 12 courses taste g meal. Service was impeccable and friendly. My only concern is the wine list, which I mentioned to our server. It has gotten smaller while the prices have escalated, few now under $100. This is a dramatic change from the varietal and price range of the recent past. And a $55 corking fee is also not acceptable. We will return, of course, but will imbibe much less.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The decor is twenty plus yearsWeissoDined on 11/5/2013The decor is twenty plus years old. Needs updating Food is amazing and plentiful. Go there hungry.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still a mustretcaptVIPDined on 11/2/2013Arun's hasn't changed much in the 15 years that we have been dining there. The prices have not changed ( $85./12 courses), the decor is the same (beautiful) and the food is pretty much the same (elegantly plated). We have noticed during our last two visits a decline in the competence of the wait staff. Awkward and somewhat clumsy. Perhaps some additional training is in order. Still a delightful dining experience, especially for out of town guests.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reminds us of being in ThailandOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/27/2013Excellent food. We were in Thailand six months ago and this gem definitely represents some of the best Thai food out there. Our only criticism was that there was no music so it was so quiet in the restaurant, that you could hear everyone else's conversation. They had speakers, so we suggest some soothing, low key Thai music. Fantastic experience overall. We will be back for another special occasion.Special Features:
- Loved Arun's - we went thereMiahDined on 10/18/2013Loved Arun's - we went there for my husband's birthday and the food was wonderful and the service spectacular. Try it, you'll like it..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- best meal experience everHussDined on 9/26/2013My daughter (age 16, but culinarily adventurous) and i went here for a dinner that was truly an experience. 12 courses that were each outstanding. truly, any of them as a singular meal would have been wonderful. to have them all back to back was unbelievable. The price tag was hefty, but it was worth it. In addition to each course being perfection, the flow of the meal and the portions were perfect - spicy followed by less so, heavy followed by palate cleansing. The service was also really attentive without being obtrusive.Special Features:
- Food and plate presentationsyak70Dined on 9/17/2013Food and plate presentations were good all around. Cost around 300 dollars for two people - two glasses of wine and a couple of mocktails in that price. Not cheap but a good experience. Refined and Restrained Thai food.Special Features:
- Birthday dinner at Arun'sOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/14/2013Appetizers and dinner was absolutely amazing! Food and service was incredible. Have not been here in a few years but just as good as I remember. Only small down-side - dessert was so-so. The soy pudding with prunes was not my favorite. Loved the lychee ice cream but not a fan of the pear soaked in fruit syrup. Maybe desserts are just not their thing. We really appreciated the slice of birthday cake with a candle! Definitely will come back for a special occasion dinner!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not the Aurns of the pastjk22VIPDined on 9/12/2013I have been to Aruns several times over the past years for special occasions and always found it worthwhile and a treat. This current experience showed a decline in quality of food, flavors, a complete turnaround. Evidently I am not alone as there was only two other parons for the entire evening.
- just okMremmr3Dined on 8/31/2013For the price it should be outstanding and the food was just ok. The staff was great!Special Features:
- Dining experience!!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/16/2013Our out of town guests were delighted with the 12ciurse dining experience !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/3/2013We had a fantastic meal for 4 of us. Prix fixe menu and all 12 courses were outstanding. A little pricey but well worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic thai foodOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/27/2013The food was really good and tasted absolutely fantastic. And with the 12 small portions you were able to get many different dishes and they all were absolutely yummi, a little bit spicey and with all the thai flavors like lemongrass, peanut, chili, thai basil and more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A destination restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/5/2013Definitely among the very topmost one or two of authentic Thai food restaurants in America. A unique culinary experience, not to be missed Engaging and original Thai artwork on the wallsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.