5534 Connecticut Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20015Neighborhood:
Chevy Chase, DC
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.arucola.com/
- Phone: (202) 244-1555
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Pizzeria
- Executive Chef: Marcial Umana
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access
- Private Party Facilities: Upstairs dining room accommodates maximum 30 people
- Private Party Contact: Gian Mario Cabiddu 2022441555x
A word from Arucola Osteria
Arucola, a rustic Italian restaurant which is nestled in the heart of Chevy Chase , DC has become a neighborhood favorite. Offering an authentic Italian experience to patrons on every visit, from the homemade pasta and breads to the wood burning pizza oven, and even the décor, you will feel as if you have just traveled to Italy . The menu changes daily, offering diners a fresh selection of pastas, meat and fish. Arucola also offers a selection of wood burning oven pizzas, variety of salads including our namesake Arucola, and an array of daily appetizers which include a selection from the marinated antipasto trolley, to daily creations.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
Arucola Osteria - Best Restaurants in Chevy Chase, DC ›
Arucola Osteria reviews from OpenTable diners
49 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (37)great for outdoor dining (22)fit for foodies (11)great for lunch (7)kid-friendly (6)good for groups (5)special occasion (4)notable wine list (4)romantic (2)late-night find (2)great for brunch (1)scenic view (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Usually GreatPaulaDined on 3/1/2014Our meal on Saturday was only good-two of the diners had chicken that was dry-though two other diners had pizza that they loved. The waiter also got my order wrong, resulting in my getting polenta that was not very tasty. However, we go to Arucula all the time and usually have a great experience. The staff members are wonderful, and we love the wine and food discounts available Mon.-Wed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very busy restaurantAmirVIPDined on 3/1/2014This place is always packed with people. The staff is very courteous and very efficient so they get parties in and out with a minimum of issues. The food is always good and the menu changes often enough to be a different dining experience for me when I get a chance to visit. This is definitely a nice place for special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A special spot in the neighborhoodDCfoodieVIPDined on 3/1/2014We've been eating here since it opened about 20 years ago. It's standards never fall. It's an attractive place with great service and food. Pastas, risottos, fish and meat entrees always well prepared. So are salads and antipasti. The bread is addictive. The desserts are among the best in the city. I can't think of a bad meal we've ever had here and we eat here at least 3 times a month. There's also always offerings that make it easy to stick to a diet on the menu even fresh fruit as option for dessert. The dieter never feels deprived even when table mates are indulging in more weighty matter, They also have pizzas on menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A reliable neighborhood restaurantAxwall8Dined on 2/19/2014A reliable neighborhood restaurant with efficient service and predictable menu. Our dishes were tasty and carefully prepared and the waiter did his job like a pro. Three quibbles. The two couples at the next table were ultra-loud and impervious to my subtle hint (finger across the lips) to lower the volume (not the restaurant's responsibility of course). The maitre d' was robotic, never made eye contact, never smiled, did not make us feel at all welcome. The desert we ordered--tiramisu--was little more than an over-sweet puddle of whipped cream.Special Features:
- Upper level diningWineYahooVIPDined on 2/14/2014Got seated in second floor dining room where the noise level was noticeably quieter than the first floor. Liked that a lot. Food and service were consistent with prior visits to a neighborhood favorite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good quality comes at a priceDerekVIPDined on 2/9/2014Food is well prepared, though the prices (except for pizza) are significantly higher than competitors.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious foodDeliciousinDCDined on 2/8/2014The monkfish with pistachios on a bed of lentils was delicious although the whole peppercorns needed to be ground because they overwhelmed the fish. The pasta was excellent. However, we have never found a good wine by the glass although we have tried all the reds and many whites. Disappointing. Also, the temperature at our table near the front door was so chilly, we all had to keep our coats on during dinner.Special Features:
- The food was disappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/25/2014I had the trout and my wife had the branzino (= rockfish). Neither of us thought our fish was particularly distinguished. Also I had the tiramisu dessert (I love good tiramisu) and I found it smothered in cream but not really that good.
- we dine here frequently [foramsavaVIPDined on 1/22/2014we dine here frequently [for us] and never have a problem. consistently good!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!kmc4Dined on 1/18/2014I was delighted with the restaurant as it was my first time there and I was skeptical. Everything was fantastic. The food, the service and the ambiance. I was delighted with the restaurant as it was my first time there and I was skeptical. Everything was fantastic. The food, the service and the ambiance. The waiter was attentive and quick on his feet. The hostess was friendly. The pappardelle was cooked to perfection! Tiramisu out of this world! Thanks you so much.Special Features:
- Great food and a good valueOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 1/18/2014The food is the reason to go, and the close proximity to the Avalon Theater; the atmosphere is warm and cozy, and the food is consistently great, with generous portions. If I were to complain, it would be about the size of the tables and the closeness to other diners - and the noise level. It's a popular venue, so the crowds and the noise come with the territory; it's one of my "go-to" places, where the food is always good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food under seasoned. PastaOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 1/11/2014Food under seasoned. Pasta not drained appropriately before plating.
- Really great DinnerAnthonya9999Dined on 1/11/2014Food was really great and well prepared. My wife and I split a appetizer salad. The she got the butternut ravioli and I got the trout. All really good, well presented , well served. My only complaint? At all? The tables were very close together. I know this is the city and not a Outback Steakhouse, but the people next to us were RIGHT next to us. Made it uncomfortable for everyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 1/10/2014A neighborhood gem that is reliably good! Tasty menu selections, and wonderful off menus suprises. Highly recommend for good food, fast & friendly service -you get your money's worth!Special Features:
- Excellent foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/5/2014Each dish, whether pizza, fish or whatever, is excellently prepared. Servers are friendly and knowledgeable and appropriately attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good dining experiencellhinoDined on 1/4/2014We had a 7:30 reservation. When we arrived, the entrance was packed. They had our table, and we only had about 3 minutes of waiting for them to get to us in the line. Food was good, cocktails were good, and the atmosphere was lovely. Had a filet of rockfish. They change the menu daily but tend to have a good seafood selection. We had a leisurely dinner and the service was very nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hush... Don't let the word get outWallvilleDined on 12/31/2013It's not easy to put the flavor of a good wholesome food into words, but once you do...the word gets out and it's impossible to take it back. This is a place you'd take your wife to-be to pop the question, graduation dinner for your kids, to impress your girlfriend(s) or to enjoy a lovely evening with the person you love.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very pleasant lunchLaMarVIPDined on 12/30/2013I had pizza which, like everything I've had there, is very good. Pizza available in one size only, but there are a lot of topping choices. Service is great, seem to be the same crew most of my visits so must be a decent place to work.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good for after the moviesdhopeDined on 12/29/2013Arucola is probably the best alternative in the neighborhood, especially if you're going to the Avalon. Food is ok--not inexpensive, except for pasta.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exscellent fisheidickVIPDined on 12/19/2013We hadn't been here in a long time - but it was close to Avalon movie theater so we tried it and found the rilled salmon and grilled rockfish both excellent, tasty and juicy. Suindried tomatoes with rockfish only fair and artichokes a bit hard - I prefer something like the ratatouilleSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Arucola remains one of theWDC1VIPDined on 12/18/2013Arucola remains one of the most consistently reliable neighborhood Italian restaurants in DC. Good food and fine service with a welcoming atmosphere.Special Features:
- great foodnicknameVIPDined on 12/16/2013ladies lunch - food was excellent - eggplant dishes and one clams - wonderful homemade pasta - wine was good - staff was very nice - we will come back soonSpecial Features:
- We have been there many timesEllenDined on 12/14/2013We have been there many times and always enjoy it.Special Features:
- first time dinerslove2eatDined on 12/6/2013Been wanting to try this place for a while...finally went with a friend. The lentil soup and yellow turnip salad were great, as was the eggplant stuffed ravioli. The branzina fish was very good....not the thickest I've ever had. Service was great...definitely will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always reliable for greatOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 12/6/2013Always reliable for great food, flexibility in substitutions, and attentive serviceSpecial Features:
- gotta love the pizza and saladpatsyDined on 11/29/2013This is a lovely place to go before or after the Avalon. We went to see Enzo Avitabile and then enjoyed pizza and salad at Arucola. Charming experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very DisappointingDiner22Dined on 11/23/20133 pasta sampler DREARY/run together/having sat under heat lamp for minutes, with slight film covering the lot; mushy undistinguished, very disappointing. Better recollection of this dish about 15 years ago, but none of the 3 compared even slightly to the hundreds of modest trattoria's in any town in Italy--over-reach by kitchen staff, expensive. Encrusted Tuna dish not particularly warm, tasteless, dry, expensive. Tiny green salad hardly a nod to fresh greens. 80-100 visits to Italy/Sicily. Wait staff intrusive, numerous tables wobbled, Arcula is not recommended. None of the male staff could speak in soft tones, barking at best. Not worth $80-90, printed bill suggests up to 25% tip, wealthy Chevy Chase residential area. Unpleasant.
- Numerous order mix-upsdiningoutandaboutVIPDined on 11/17/2013Four of us met there for dinner -- first time visit. the server was very pleasant BUT several orders were messed up. One in our party asked about the duck ragu and gnocchi listed on the website but not on our menu -- he said they had veal ragu and could give her that with gnocchi (however, he brought her a different dish ... no ragu at all!). One asked for the addition of watercress with the beet salad and was told they probably didn't have it BUT another in our party ordered & recieved the watercress salad ! One in our party asked for the pork milanese with green beans, but received it sitting on chopped salad. When we ordered a 2nd bottle of wine, it arrived without any mention of the fact that it was a different vintage. WOW !
- GoodLuvgoodfoodandwineVIPDined on 11/15/2013Pastas & braised lamb shank over white beans were both terrific. Salads (Ceasar & Portobello Mushroom) both underdressed. We were seated by the staircase mid- restaraunt which made it both cold & far busier than other tables. Still really good main meals & we will go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hadn't been back in a while ...OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/8/2013But their homemade pasta is consistently fantastic. All three of us had the pasta sampler (3 small portions of the pasta specials on one plate) and a wonderful tiramisu. My only criticism is that for a neighborhood restaurant and for the homey vibe it is quite pricey. We would go there much more often if it weren't for the steep prices. That said, their pastas are more reasonable and I appreciate that they dedicate a portion of the wine list to decent wines at reasonable prices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good again!WinendineDined on 10/29/2013AO is a very nice, cozy neighborhood restaurant with very good food (fresh fish and pasta) and service. We have sat at the bar and at a table and enjoyed it a lot both times. We look forward to our next visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unexpectedly good local osteriabim08Dined on 10/19/2013Decided on this restaurant we had never visited for after movie dinner in the neighborhood. Very crowded, hopping restaurant. Wonderfully efficient, attentive service, very good food and wine, somewhat loud, but with very good energy. Will return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reliable neighborhood foodRichDined on 10/19/2013Pizza is very good, other menu items range widely. Has become a regular as we sort thru the menu and focus on the best!Special Features:
- Bad pizza, bad fishKarineVIPDined on 10/18/2013The pizza used to be good. Not anymore, the crust was really dry and flavorless. The fried fish had a foul, extremely strong sea water taste.
- Delicious food, very attentive servMarylanderDined on 10/11/2013We thoroughly enjoyed our dinner at Arucola. The ambience was relaxed and casual, the service very attentive and friendly without being overbearing. My arugula salad was delicious, and the braised short ribs were tender and tasty. My brother's past special with shrimp was flavorful with five large shrimps; pasta was clearly homemade. Would recommend this for a delicious eating experience.Special Features:
- We just love this place!DinealotVIPDined on 10/8/2013Neighborhood gem is an understatement. The staff, the food, everything is just great. We will be back often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reliably DeliciousFriscogirlDined on 9/18/2013This is my "go to" neighborhood restaurant. The food is always wonderful with a nice variety of offerings. Very fresh seafood and wonderful pasta. An interesting wine list to boot. The wait staff is fantastic!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Antipasta platter was notSmittyRayVIPDined on 9/18/2013Antipasta platter was not very good at all, meal was very average
- One of our favoritesOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/15/2013We've eaten at Arucola dozens of times, partly because it's very convenient (near us and plenty of free parking), but mostly because we have rarely had a dish I would rate as less than 'good,' and the rest range from 'very good' to excellent.' The pastas and fish dishes are my favorites. The waiters are true professionals. This time I had a pasta with wild mushrooms. Wonderful! The restaurant was quieter than usual, because we were there at 8:15 on a Sunday.Special Features:
- My fish was good but the chopgladysVIPDined on 9/7/2013My fish was good but the chop my husband order was bland tasting.