5534 Connecticut Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20015Neighborhood:
Chevy Chase, DC
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.arucola.com/
- Phone: 2022441555x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Pizzeria
- Executive Chef: Marcial Umana
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access
- Private Party Facilities: Upstairs dining room accommodates maximum 30 people
- Private Party Contact: Gian Mario Cabiddu 2022441555x
A word from Arucola Osteria
Arucola, a rustic Italian restaurant which is nestled in the heart of Chevy Chase , DC has become a neighborhood favorite. Offering an authentic Italian experience to patrons on every visit, from the homemade pasta and breads to the wood burning pizza oven, and even the décor, you will feel as if you have just traveled to Italy . The menu changes daily, offering diners a fresh selection of pastas, meat and fish. Arucola also offers a selection of wood burning oven pizzas, variety of salads including our namesake Arucola, and an array of daily appetizers which include a selection from the marinated antipasto trolley, to daily creations.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeighborhood Gem
Arucola Osteria - Best Restaurants in Chevy Chase, DC ›
Arucola Osteria reviews from OpenTable diners
56 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (45)great for outdoor dining (32)fit for foodies (18)special occasion (10)great for lunch (10)kid-friendly (7)romantic (5)great for brunch (5)good for groups (5)notable wine list (4)vibrant bar scene (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Try the fish soup!mangiabeneVIPDined on 8/24/2014We go to Arucola at least twice a month because we love the food at this restaurant. It's a neighborhood gem that we drive all the way from Great Falls, VA to enjoy. The menu changes daily and features different pastas, risottos, starters, and main dishes. We are both gluten-free eaters and really appreciate that Arucola now offers gluten-free pasta so that we too can enjoy their excellent sauces. It had been a while since we ate the fish soup and it was spectacular! Pungent, somewhat spicy soup (could double as a phenomenal pasta sauce) and delicious fish and seafood. Service is always attentive and the quaint wall paintings and general ambiance remind us of a nice Roman trattoria.Special Features:
- Our favorite for many yearsChrisDined on 8/14/2014Favorite spot for all occasions & special events. Always get the Chianti Classico ReservaSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent dinner and service!SuzanneDined on 8/2/2014We had a lovely dinner Saturday night - brought family with us including 10 year old granddaughter who was given paper and a set of colored crayons so she could stay occupied while we adults ate our appetizer - they made a special effort to get her something she'd like (a fussy eater!) - our appetizers and dinners were all delicious with nice selection of desserts. I'll certainly go back there!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Specials really areMcfox2Dined on 8/1/2014I ordered one of the dinner specials: the soft shell crabs. A very good choice! The soft shells were quite large, nicely breaded and sautéed and served over sliced artichokes and tomato. A very tasty meal, although pricey. The waiter made sure to tell me the price when I made my selection so there was no sticker shock.Special Features:
- DisappointingHeatherFeatherVIPDined on 7/20/2014I ordered the special, soft shell crabs. Unfortunately, I neglected to ask the cost. They were $39!!! I was told they were breaded and fried. They were neither. And the shells were not very soft either. Virtually no veggies came with it. All in all, hugely disappointing.
- One of our favorites!mangiabeneVIPDined on 7/19/2014We drive over 30 minutes to dine at Arucola. The food is terrific, the service impeccable, and we can hear the others at our table with ease. We particularly like the fact that they've added gluten-free pasta (it was fabulous! had the crab and seasonal veggies sauce).Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/19/2014For what it cost service a little too fast. Would like to relax and dine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LaMarVIPDined on 7/17/2014We enjoyed our lunch here very much. I had the pizza (available in one size only) which was fantastic. A lot of toppings to choose from. The rest of my party had Caesar salads with either chicken or salmon that they also enjoyed. Not too many other customers there that day which is not what we've experienced in the past. (made it easier to converse, though)Special Features:
- honeydewdVIPDined on 7/16/2014Service was atrociously poor. Food was average. To be a neighborhood restaurant, they should be nice to the locals who frequent the place. Instead, what I saw and heard was completely uncalled for: an elderly couple who had walked to the restaurant, had made reservations & was meeting their grandson and new granddaughter in-law. The younger couple was not there when the grandparents showed up, but they asked to be seated anyway. The young host, very rudely and curtly responded, "You are not being seated until the rest of your party is here." The lady explained how they had made reservations and were looking forward to seeing their grandson who had just returned from his honeymoon. After some persuading, they were eventually seated.
- nice eveningTheHappyDinerDined on 7/10/2014The specials of the day, veal chop and lobster tail on fresh pasta with wild mushrooms, were delightful.The home-made tiramisu was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of my neighborhood favoritesRn123Dined on 7/10/2014My two adult sons and I enjoyed a very pleasant dinner at Arucola. The service, as always, was attentive and friendly without over hovering. We all had seafood dishes, tuna, rockfish and lobster, and all dishes were competently prepared, if not quite exciting. The kitchen was flexible, as always, accommodating requests for minor alterations to the menu combinations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Standard for OthersPlanetmikeDined on 7/9/2014This restaurant is always a pleasure, whether you are having a quick lunch or a large party. The pizzas are excellent. Half price wines on Wednesdays!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/3/2014Another great family dinner at Arucola--always a great pleasure !--- Fred & Anne WoodworthSpecial Features:
- regular go-to placeamsavaVIPDined on 7/2/2014when taking in a film at the nearby Avalon Theater, we always to to Arucola. And, often order the same dishes! BUT. You wont be disappointed in whatever you choose. All well prepared and delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistantly GoodWDC1VIPDined on 6/26/2014Arucola is a consistently reliable restaurant providing quality food and drink. Service is provided by upbeat and always caring staff. It is wonderful having Arucola as a neighborhood gem that never disappoints in providing tasty and reasonably priced Italian fare.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just the ticketJeanGeorgesVIPDined on 6/23/2014What Arucola does, it does very well. The food we had was superb. The service was attentive and pleasant. The weather was perfect and our outside table enabled us to enjoy it as well as the meal. I gave Arucola five stars as a neighborhood restaurant. Of course, the DC area has many places that offer haute cuisine -- not the field that Arucola plays on. And I wouldn't have it any other way.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful EveningbajaDined on 6/22/2014The trout was served in a nice presentation, and was very tasty. The service was attentive and we did not have to wait long for our food. A good choice of menu items.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Long time favoritesavorygirl23Dined on 6/22/2014Arucola is a long time favorite in our family. Be it a family dinner, or a quiet dinner for just my husband and myself, it never disappoints. Food here is always excellent, fresh and creatively prepared. The service is attentive, but not intrusive. We have travelled in Italy, and find Arucola much like the gems we would find in small off the beaten path restaurants. Arucola, is not a Michelin star restaurant..... and that is exactly why we love it! Authentic, unpretentious, with consistently delicious food, and welcoming service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Neighborhood Gem Indeed!MidLifeWorkingMomVIPDined on 6/15/2014We have been going to Arucola for years now, and it is consistently good. It feels like family, with the waiters inquiring about the kids if we do not bring them. We eat in, we carry out, and year over year it is great. There may be an occasional off night where the service is a little slower or one dish a bit less than normal, but these times are very rare. But for those rate nights, I would have given 5 stars across the board. A dinner for 4 with appetizers and desserts for all can run close to $200 with tip depending on what you choose, but for our family there is really no other choice - it is our kids' very favorite restaurant, and we go often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a Delight!mangiabeneVIPDined on 6/1/2014We have been enjoying the excellent food at Arucola for years, combining a stop there with a movie at the Avalon Theater. In fact, we often choose films at the Avalon just so we can eat at Arucola before or after. We particularly like the various risottos, the fish soup, and portobello mushroom appetizer. Service is uniformly excellent even when the restaurant is super-busy. We've taken friends there over the years and also recommended Arucola to many other friends. It's one of our top favorites in the DC area and we eat there at least once a month, usually more.Special Features:
- Italien -can it compare?OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/31/2014We just returned from Italy and were skeptical about finding pasta good enough to compare. It was! And the gazpaccio was lovely as well.Special Features:
- kmc4Dined on 5/28/2014The food was average. I've had great meals here but not this time. There were 2 slices of pears in my beet and pear salad. The ravioli was undercooked and not tasty. The first bottle of wine that was opened was sour. The waiter came right back with another bottle though which was nice. The host was RUDE.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/21/2014I can always count on good food here and very good service. I go there with my husband and/or a group of friends before a movie at the Avalon. It is a very good, dependable neighborhood restaurant.Special Features:
- Usually goodMabelDodgeDined on 5/11/2014Some of the offerings are taste fabulous and kudos to the cook. But on big holidays when the restaurant is packed the presentation may suffer - hot food served on cold plates, for example. The Michelin man would scream. Stick to the pizza on those days; it's always good. But there is a kitchen that can turn out wonders if they aren't scrambling.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- still good after all these years...DaisyDined on 5/10/2014I hadn't been to Arucola in years - maybe 10 years - and only thought to go as we wanted to have a meal after seeing a film at the Avalon. I'm so glad we went! It hasn't changed a bit (personally, I would redecorate) the food was excellent, the wine choices very good, and the service was terrific - friendly, accommodating, fast. The atmosphere is reasonably casual and lively, it's clearly a neighborhood place. We'll definitely come again, and maybe sit outside which also looks nice for summer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious dinnerAnnieToMyFriendsDined on 5/9/2014Dinner was delicious. We tried lamb, chicken, seafood. No disappointments! Homemade desserts, what could be better?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always DeliciousFriscogirlDined on 5/7/2014This is my favorite neighborhood restaurant. The food is consistently good, the service is impeccable.Special Features:
- The following 285 reviews are from the Arucola Osteria reviews archive.
- Consistent & reliablemjkchchDined on 5/1/2014All entrees we've enjoyed are reliable . This is a very good restaurant, not pretentious at all. They have always accommodated us for special dishes and shifting arrivals times. Outdoor patio is a plus in good weather but inside seating is just fine. Dessert cart always a welcomed ending.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous menu and foodbeebopDined on 4/26/2014Incredible food for all four of us. Great selection on the menu. Service was akso great. Not yhe greatest ambience but the food made up for that! Outside dimibg is great in good weatherSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Continually good food and serviceChrisVIPDined on 3/30/2014Good italian cuisine (upscale northern dishes). Consistently fresh ingredients complimented by attentive service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed three times . . . .NannerDined on 3/22/2014My friend didn't want his caesar salad because the dressing was just some bottled stuff from the shelf at Giant. My scallops were mediocre, except for the fennel puree, which was not appetizing. Arucola is just steps from the Avalon, so its location is convenient and tempting, but after three disappointing visits, I think we'll give up and go elsewhere.
- Italian favorites AND creative offemangiabeneVIPDined on 3/8/2014We love the Arucola and regularly go there. We really like the fact that there is a daily menu with lots of options that change. No matter what we choose, it's been excellent - tasty, often innovative,and nicely presented. Service is attentive - in fact, perfect. The ambience is like a neighborhood trattoria. Also their three-pasta option is a great way to have all the different tastes and not have to choose among them. Our only recommendation to Arucola management would be to offer gluten-free pasta as one of us is gluten-sensitive and would like to enjoy Arucola's pasta sauces. Now that many people are gluten-intolerant and other restaurants increasingly offer gluten-free options, we hope Arucola will soon follow suit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Saved by locationBette55VIPDined on 3/4/2014I wouldn't exactly call this a gem but it's one of the only restaurants within walking distance to the Avalon. The individual pizzas are good and they do a serviceable job on everything else, but the food is nothing to look forward to. It's just well-located and does a reliable job.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Usually GreatPaulaDined on 3/1/2014Our meal on Saturday was only good-two of the diners had chicken that was dry-though two other diners had pizza that they loved. The waiter also got my order wrong, resulting in my getting polenta that was not very tasty. However, we go to Arucula all the time and usually have a great experience. The staff members are wonderful, and we love the wine and food discounts available Mon.-Wed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very busy restaurantAmirVIPDined on 3/1/2014This place is always packed with people. The staff is very courteous and very efficient so they get parties in and out with a minimum of issues. The food is always good and the menu changes often enough to be a different dining experience for me when I get a chance to visit. This is definitely a nice place for special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A special spot in the neighborhoodDCfoodieVIPDined on 3/1/2014We've been eating here since it opened about 20 years ago. It's standards never fall. It's an attractive place with great service and food. Pastas, risottos, fish and meat entrees always well prepared. So are salads and antipasti. The bread is addictive. The desserts are among the best in the city. I can't think of a bad meal we've ever had here and we eat here at least 3 times a month. There's also always offerings that make it easy to stick to a diet on the menu even fresh fruit as option for dessert. The dieter never feels deprived even when table mates are indulging in more weighty matter, They also have pizzas on menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A reliable neighborhood restaurantAxwall8Dined on 2/19/2014A reliable neighborhood restaurant with efficient service and predictable menu. Our dishes were tasty and carefully prepared and the waiter did his job like a pro. Three quibbles. The two couples at the next table were ultra-loud and impervious to my subtle hint (finger across the lips) to lower the volume (not the restaurant's responsibility of course). The maitre d' was robotic, never made eye contact, never smiled, did not make us feel at all welcome. The desert we ordered--tiramisu--was little more than an over-sweet puddle of whipped cream.Special Features:
- Upper level diningWineYahooVIPDined on 2/14/2014Got seated in second floor dining room where the noise level was noticeably quieter than the first floor. Liked that a lot. Food and service were consistent with prior visits to a neighborhood favorite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good quality comes at a priceDerekVIPDined on 2/9/2014Food is well prepared, though the prices (except for pizza) are significantly higher than competitors.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious foodDeliciousinDCDined on 2/8/2014The monkfish with pistachios on a bed of lentils was delicious although the whole peppercorns needed to be ground because they overwhelmed the fish. The pasta was excellent. However, we have never found a good wine by the glass although we have tried all the reds and many whites. Disappointing. Also, the temperature at our table near the front door was so chilly, we all had to keep our coats on during dinner.Special Features: