800 Bagby Street, Suite 400
Hobby Center of the Performing Arts
Houston, TX 77002Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.cordua.com/
- Phone: (713) 278-4782
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Friday: 11:00am-9:00pm
Monday - Tuesday: 11:00am-2:00pm
Wednesday - Friday: 11:00am-9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Latin American, Seafood, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Michael Cordúa
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: With six award-winning restaurants, Américas, Artista, Churrascos and Amazón Grill to choose from, The Cordúa Group has taken the best of their portfolio and added other unique flavors. The result: a contemporary flavor unique to MjC Events that can be enjoyed outside of their restaurants. Whether you are planning an intimate gathering or a gala of splendor, the finest events always start with MjC Events. Event Managers are ready to help you plan your next event! Please contact them at MjC Events 713.961.0911.
- Private Party Facilities: Restaurant available for buy-outs, please contact us for more details.
- Private Party Contact: email@example.com 7139610911x
- Entertainment: piano, rat-pack, jazz
A word from Artista
A much-anticipated addition to the Houston restaurant scene, Artista offers creative cuisine, impeccable service and a perfect location to downtown Houston entertainment.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
Artista - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Artista reviews from OpenTable diners
128 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (67)scenic view (64)romantic (49)fit for foodies (36)great for lunch (33)good for groups (29)great for outdoor dining (18)notable wine list (17)hot spot (11)great for brunch (8)neighborhood gem (8)late-night find (6)vibrant bar scene (3)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- Play nightKeithDined on 11/23/2014Food was below quality and the waiter was new. The wine ordered was not available.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/23/2014The perfrect place for lunch before attending a musical at Hobby.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As usual, a meal at Artista is a wonderful treat.SuzanneDined on 11/23/2014As usual, a meal at Artista is a wonderful treat. The elegant ambience, the wonderful view, the friendly wait staff, and the scrumptious food make this restaurant my favorite before show place to eat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingPeterDined on 11/23/2014Generally this is one of our favorite spots before a performance at the Hobby Center. However Sunday's visit was a disappointment. Our server tried but wasn't able to keep things going in an organized manner. Food presentation was sloppy and chaotic. My soup was barely warm. Even allowing 1.5 hours we barely finished in time for the show. Attention Cordua family! Are you spreading yourselves too thin?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So Much Potential But...CindyVIPDined on 11/23/2014My husband and I have eaten at Artista quite a few times, because we have season tickets to the Broadway series at Hobby Center, and Artista gets points for convenience. This time we went for brunch before a Sunday Matinee, and as it has other times, Artista fell far short of our expectations. I'm not sure what was going on, but food was very slow to arrive and the wait staff seemed frustrated with the kitchen. The hostess was bussing tables at one point. We had to ask for our desserts, and we also asked for our check early, because even though we had allowed for an hour and a half for brunch we were worried we were going to miss the beginning of the show. We paid cash, and the restaurant was unable to provide any change smaller than a $20 bill. Our waiter brought us two discount cards (good at Churrasco’s or America’s, not Artista) for our poor experience, but they really don't make up for the fact that we had to leave a 20%+ tip for a poor experience as the restaurant had no change. It was either that or stiff the waiter, and the problems didn’t seem to be his fault – we could see there were similar issues all over the restaurant. I wish Artista could get it together. The food is good and they have so much potential to be an outstanding restaurant. None of the other Cordua restaurants have the same struggles. I often think Artista is complacent because they have the advantage of location so people will continue to overlook the flaws simply because it's so convenient. I realize they get slammed right before a show, but one would think a well-run establishment in the theater district would be set up to handle the crowd and the time constraints. My husband and I keep giving Artista another chance, but maybe we've finally learned our lesson.Special Features:
- Artista RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/23/2014went to Artista before seeing a play on a Sunday; we had done this previously and had trouble with service, to the extent that we received two coupons apiece for a discount at any of the Cordua restaurants. we decided to try it again this last week; same problem. apparently they don't fully staff their restaurant at brunch seatings, even when they know by the reservations that they are going to be full or nearly so. We had trouble getting our waiter, getting refills, getting a check. it's really a shame because the location makes it perfect for a great theatre experience
- We love to dine at ArtistaShowtimeDined on 11/18/2014We dine at Artista before attending a production at the Hobby Center. They really know how to take care of a show crowd. Prompt service without feeling hurried. The food is delicious if a bit pricey and the wait staff is excellent.I would recommend this to a friend.
- I love the food and the service.LisaVIPDined on 11/17/2014The service is awesome and it is always a pleasant experience. The food choices lunch or dinner is just superb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great TimeJackieDined on 10/31/2014Was very pleased to see my favorites on the lunch menuSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AverageCharlesDined on 10/19/2014Went there before show at Hobby...wasn't bad but no wow factor...service was averageI would recommend this to a friend.
- Price has gone way up. Too expensijm4cloudDined on 10/19/2014Prices are too expensive for the quality and amount of food you receive. I am not eating here again.Special Features:
- Perfect for the theaterFirecrackerVIPDined on 10/19/2014Delicious food - great service - and so nice when attending the theater.Special Features:
- KeithKeithDined on 10/19/2014The service was excellent and the food is very good. We had a wonderful time.Special Features:
- Special Eventhawk23nightoutDined on 10/19/2014My wife and I always dine at Artista when we drive down to Houston for a Broadway play. It is a rare treat for us as we have a disabled child and we have to hire a caretaker and it makes the evening quite costly. However, it is worth it as the ambiance and service are always outstanding.Special Features:
- Sometimes great and sometimes not!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/19/2014I have been here several tines always before a show. The past two times my food was terribly prepared and had to send it back. Burned lobster and over and under cooked steaks. Sloppy presentation and our waiter was terrible and they weren't even half full. Use to love dining here before a show but for the price I tjjnkni might find another option before s show.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingWandaDined on 10/19/2014Having dined here on several previous occasions, I was extremely disappointed ! The service, food quality and the noise level have all declined. The service was extremely slow. Hostess offered black napkins when we sat down, but never returned with the napkins. My fellow diner ordered the chicken salad sandwich, which came with such a small amount of chicken salad on the sandwich, she could not taste chicken. Following the meal, we waited almost 15 minutes for the waiter to return with the check. The noise level was very high. Seems the presence of some VIP diner caused lots of running and noisy conferences between staff members. Overall, not a good experience. The rest of the theater season I will dine elsewhere.
- impeccable service, excellent foodJunaidaJDined on 10/18/2014we had pre-theater dinner at Arista - food, ambiance and service was excellent and will be visiting again. Be sure to reserve table a few weeks early if you want your time slot - it gets busy 1.5 hours before theater start time.Special Features:
- Poor food and servicefoodie567Dined on 10/16/2014Our table was horrible - upstairs by the service kitchen. None of the staff knew who was doing what. Food was cold and some of it had to go back. The coffee was cold and stale. Not a good experience at all.Special Features:
- Always good foodMagnificentVIPDined on 10/15/2014Artista is a wonderful place to go for a meal or for a meal before a play. Excellent food, always great service. Ask for Cici and let her take care of everything. Naomi runs the place and works hard to treat guests as VIPs. Great wine list too. Ask for a table outside when the weather is nice and enjoy the view of downtown.Special Features:
- Not too KindTerryDined on 10/14/2014We had an elderly gentleman who has difficulty walking. Our reserved table was upstairs. We were early, prior to a show, and although many tables downstairs were open the host stated that they were reserved as well. He could have switched tables if he wanted to. Although our guest made it up the stairs, it put an overall damper on our experience. I realize that I should have let you know this prior to our arrival but I still feel you were inconsiderate in not resolving the problem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely fantastic!BrieDined on 10/13/2014Absolutely delicious with fantastic ambiance and views. The 3-story glass windows provide a great view, especially during the intense rain storm outside. This lunch was such a special treat for my in-laws out of town from New Zealand. They can't wait to come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for before show!Ingrid61VIPDined on 10/4/2014We always go before a show, the service is the best food is superb! The wine list is great, and the service staff they are always great! we always try to get the chef special, but if not the Churrasco is great, the sea bass is very good!Special Features:
- kellyDined on 10/4/2014We went before a show, very convenient! . There was not a show on the main stage so things at the restaurant were calm. Im sure if there was a big show it would have been different, more crazy ,louder. We would go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/3/2014I don't envy management at Artista. During shows at Sarofim Hall in the Hobby Center, Artista is slammed from 6 to 8 with diners on a short string angling to get to opening curtain. But on nights without such shows, there is often barely a trickle of diners as was the case this past Friday evening. Even so, Artista seemed short staffed even with the small crowd. While we still love the food-especially starters such as the crawfish tacquitos and any seafood entree-the prices have gone way up over the last year. I get there is a captive audience on show nights and price your menu accordingly, but it will keep us away for a while as there are many other spots not charging as much. And don't get me started on the ridiculously priced wine list.Special Features:
- Love this locationKatherineDined on 9/28/2014The food is amazing and the staff are like ninjas. So quick and always treating you like kings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeJNPWDined on 9/28/2014Return visit for 1; excellent as usual. 2 new visitors enjoyed wine, appetizers, and excellent meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great lunchiheartyeemeeDined on 9/28/2014We had a great lunch then went to the matinee, which made a nice way to spend a Sunday afternoon. Food and service were wonderful, and the restaurant is comfortable and very nice.Special Features:
- Pre Show havenMorese1VIPDined on 9/27/2014We had a lovely dinner at artista prior to seeing our show. I made a 545 reservation and was immediately reassured the table was ours until the show. Our waiter was attentive and the food was delicious. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AlwaysVIPDined on 9/27/2014What is it with some waiters and pouring wine? They expect to be tipped on the full amount of the bill, which I agree, but then they leave you alone after the food is served as the wine is self service. I understand sometimes they get busy and/or do not notice for a few minutes, but I poured entire bottle myself, even though the waiter was not that busy and saw my wine glass near empty several times. Restaurants- train your wait staff!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/27/2014Good food and great service. Artista for lunch and the matinee TUTS performance is the perfect entertainment combination.Special Features:
- Good experiencFeeeeeeedMeVIPDined on 9/26/2014I've been here a number of times, but this time for a work-related lunch. Our waiting was good at timing things, and our lunch was fantastic. We both had the roasted salmon and it was the best salmon dish I've had in a long long time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Show stopperElizabethDined on 9/24/2014Dinner at Artista is a must before a show --- the food was fabulous! Don't know which I liked better -- Artista or Victor, Victoria!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's a treat to visitStephanieDined on 9/21/2014Artista is absolutely lovely: the food, the service, the atmosphere - it's expensive, but worth it. It's a perfect little pre-theatre indulgence, and as an added bonus, you can walk directly into the Hobby Center.Special Features:
- DisappointedLjmcDined on 9/20/2014Too pricey for what is served. Good was good for 3 of 4 of us. Much too loud to carry on a conversation. Sorry. Was hopeful it would be better.Special Features:
- Perfect for a show at Hobby CenterYumB4ShowDined on 9/18/2014We decided to try Artista out so we wouldn't be late to our show. Our server was amazing!! He was knowledgeable, friendly, and curious. The food was pricey, but so yummy! We recommend the scallops and steak...mmmmm Makes my mouth water just thinking about it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulDebdoesdiningVIPDined on 9/18/2014This was a repeat visit and was not a disappointment !! Wonderful choice when visiting the Hobby TheaterSpecial Features:
- Great as usual!!!abc123Dined on 9/17/2014Super food as usual! Everyone at our table was happy! Thanks Michael!!Special Features:
- DancerDined on 9/17/2014This is a wonderful restaurant before the theatre. It would be wonderful any time if you lived downtown. I always look forward to going. The food is very good and the view is really nice.when weather permitting it is great for outdoor dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious.FoodandfunDined on 9/16/2014Our food was excellent. Totally cleaned my plates! It was our waiter's first night and he was great. Friendly and attentive. Looking forward to going back.Special Features:
- Mouth-wateringNjoydiningDined on 9/13/2014The ambiance, food and service was on point. There is such a variety of foods for varying taste bud with that special flare. Always a good place to eat..never disappointingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.