800 Bagby Street, Suite 400
Hobby Center of the Performing Arts
Houston, TX 77002Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.cordua.com/
- Phone: 7132784782x
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Friday: 11:00am-9:00pm
Monday - Tuesday: 11:00am-2:00pm
Wednesday - Friday: 11:00am-9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Latin American, Seafood, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Michael Cordúa
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: With six award-winning restaurants, Américas, Artista, Churrascos and Amazón Grill to choose from, The Cordúa Group has taken the best of their portfolio and added other unique flavors. The result: a contemporary flavor unique to MjC Events that can be enjoyed outside of their restaurants. Whether you are planning an intimate gathering or a gala of splendor, the finest events always start with MjC Events. Event Managers are ready to help you plan your next event! Please contact them at MjC Events 713.961.0911.
- Private Party Facilities: Restaurant available for buy-outs, please contact us for more details.
- Private Party Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org 7139610911x
- Entertainment: piano, rat-pack, jazz
A word from Artista
A much-anticipated addition to the Houston restaurant scene, Artista offers creative cuisine, impeccable service and a perfect location to downtown Houston entertainment.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Artista - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Artista reviews from OpenTable diners
134 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (69)scenic view (68)romantic (48)fit for foodies (41)great for lunch (27)good for groups (23)notable wine list (16)great for outdoor dining (13)great for brunch (11)hot spot (10)kid-friendly (8)late-night find (5)neighborhood gem (5)vibrant bar scene (4)Show More
- Love this locationKatherineDined on 9/28/2014The food is amazing and the staff are like ninjas. So quick and always treating you like kings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/28/2014We had a great lunch then went to the matinee, which made a nice way to spend a Sunday afternoon. Food and service were wonderful, and the restaurant is comfortable and very nice.Special Features:
- Pre Show havenOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/27/2014We had a lovely dinner at artista prior to seeing our show. I made a 545 reservation and was immediately reassured the table was ours until the show. Our waiter was attentive and the food was delicious. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AlwaysVIPDined on 9/27/2014What is it with some waiters and pouring wine? They expect to be tipped on the full amount of the bill, which I agree, but then they leave you alone after the food is served as the wine is self service. I understand sometimes they get busy and/or do not notice for a few minutes, but I poured entire bottle myself, even though the waiter was not that busy and saw my wine glass near empty several times. Restaurants- train your wait staff!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/27/2014Good food and great service. Artista for lunch and the matinee TUTS performance is the perfect entertainment combination.Special Features:
- Good experiencFeeeeeeedMeDined on 9/26/2014I've been here a number of times, but this time for a work-related lunch. Our waiting was good at timing things, and our lunch was fantastic. We both had the roasted salmon and it was the best salmon dish I've had in a long long time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Show stopperElizabethDined on 9/24/2014Dinner at Artista is a must before a show --- the food was fabulous! Don't know which I liked better -- Artista or Victor, Victoria!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's a treat to visitStephanieDined on 9/21/2014Artista is absolutely lovely: the food, the service, the atmosphere - it's expensive, but worth it. It's a perfect little pre-theatre indulgence, and as an added bonus, you can walk directly into the Hobby Center.Special Features:
- DisappointedLjmcDined on 9/20/2014Too pricey for what is served. Good was good for 3 of 4 of us. Much too loud to carry on a conversation. Sorry. Was hopeful it would be better.Special Features:
- Perfect for a show at Hobby CenterYumB4ShowDined on 9/18/2014We decided to try Artista out so we wouldn't be late to our show. Our server was amazing!! He was knowledgeable, friendly, and curious. The food was pricey, but so yummy! We recommend the scallops and steak...mmmmm Makes my mouth water just thinking about it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 9/18/2014This was a repeat visit and was not a disappointment !! Wonderful choice when visiting the Hobby TheaterSpecial Features:
- Great as usual!!!abc123Dined on 9/17/2014Super food as usual! Everyone at our table was happy! Thanks Michael!!Special Features:
- DancerDined on 9/17/2014This is a wonderful restaurant before the theatre. It would be wonderful any time if you lived downtown. I always look forward to going. The food is very good and the view is really nice.when weather permitting it is great for outdoor dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious.FoodandfunDined on 9/16/2014Our food was excellent. Totally cleaned my plates! It was our waiter's first night and he was great. Friendly and attentive. Looking forward to going back.Special Features:
- Mouth-wateringNjoydiningDined on 9/13/2014The ambiance, food and service was on point. There is such a variety of foods for varying taste bud with that special flare. Always a good place to eat..never disappointingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OverpricedKkdineDined on 8/30/2014The view of downtown was alright. The food was very overpriced, as well as, the valet service.Special Features:
- Fine Restaurant for Lunch GroupTJinABDined on 8/28/2014Perfect atmosphere for a group of seven, round table, well appointed, low noise level (although it was not busy the day we were there), very open and bright space, high ceilings. Great choices on the menu...South American fusion...Seafood Paella was fantastic!Special Features:
- Lovely eveningsendlimesDined on 8/23/2014A fun dinner out while taking advantage of Houston Restaraunt Week? Everything was delicious, our only complaint was a cup of lobster bisque that was served "cool", but this was remedied quickly by our excellent waiter.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/22/2014Went to an HRW dinner Friday night with 4 of us. Although there was no public performance at the Hobby that evening, there was a local group hosting a function in the theater, so there was a bit larger crowd than there otherwise would have been. The 4 of us enjoyed the empanadas, tuna taquito and salad for starters. I really liked the shrimp masala with polenta--4 grilled shrimp atop a bed of creamy polenta with a small cup of masala to spread as you wish. I added a side of the sesame spinach and enjoyed the flavor combinations greatly. The only dish that wasn't enjoyed was the plantain crusted chicken. Iris did a good job as our waitress for the evening as others have mentioned.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Texan2theboneDined on 8/22/2014The service was perfect. The food was good but the Emanadas were a little over fried.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go elsewhereFoodieVIPDined on 8/22/2014My parents went here several years ago and we returned before a performance at the Hobby Center. Unfortunately the best thing we had all night was the plantain chips which came as a starter. The lobster bisque was too salty to finish. The beef with chimichurri sauce was edible, but nothing exciting since that sauce was used for the plantain chips. The plantain crusted chicken was like regular fried chicken from any fast food joint. The fish dish suffered from poor fish selection and was a bit overcooked. The ambience was great, but the food failed to live up to my expectations.
- Excellent service and amazing foodOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/21/2014Our server Iris was really knowledgable about the food and made sure she wrote down all the titbits of information on paper for is to use later. We really enjoyed the scenic view of Houston downtownSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romance at L'ArtistaHappyBirthdayGirlDined on 8/21/2014Very romantic restaurant. Friendly service. Good food. Great view.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very goodCharlesDined on 8/16/2014Everyone is our part is a big fan of Churrasco's and America's but this was the first visit to Artista for everyone in my group of four. The food was excellent, though my salmon was bland. Our only real complaint was that our server was either over-sat or just inattentive to our table because in the course of our meal another server appeared with no explanation and completed the evening with us. We attended on a slow Saturday evening as there was nothing on stage at the Hobby Center. We also ordered from the Restaurant Month menu.Special Features:
- Good before a showRLBTX3Dined on 8/13/2014We tried Artista because they were participating in Houston Restaurant Week. We didn't realize it was connected/inside of the Houston Hobby Center. If you're seeing a show it would make sense to dine here or stop for a drink. The decore is pretty and it is part of the Cordeau brand (Americas chain). I don't think the food was as good as Americas at all, but there was also only 5 tables seated during the 3 hours I was there (we had a long dinner catching up), and we were one of the 5. So it's possible the chef wasn't on point given so little was being ordered. The striped bass was great as well as the chocolate dessert and the tres leches!!! We didn't like the Churrasco steak though. Flavor was off and was a bit overcooked.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!Ruffus06Dined on 8/8/2014Artista never disappoints. We were looking for a downtown restaurant on Friday night, went to Artista and had a marvelous evening. No shows were playing so the restaurant was uncrowded and very quiet. The wine list is great, the food impeccable, and service is always spot on. This evening we were pleasantly surprised with the Restaurant Week specials. I recommend the lobster bisque and the salmon. You will not be disappointed. End the meal with tres leches - by far the best dessert. I recommend Artista for downtown dining.Special Features:
- Great food and Excellent Servicejla665Dined on 8/8/2014We enjoyed dinner after an early movie. We chose the Houston Restaurant Weeks menu, and all of our selections had excellent flavor, and the presentation was beautiful. The service was excellent, and care was taken to time the different courses properly. It was a great experience.Special Features:
- Lovely ExperienceWineSnobDined on 8/6/2014Wanted a new place near office. Menu was intriguing for Houston Restaurant Week. Food, service, and management not disappointing. Will return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful downtown viewOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/1/2014Love the setting sun abd the vibrant city lights from every view in Artista! The quiet ambience allowed for every table to have a nice time without having to hear everyone else. Plus the salmon was amazing and the tres leche was to die for!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always mattersDevineDiningDined on 8/1/2014I have been dining at artistas for many years. Sometimes it is just my husband and I, sometimes we bring the children and we've also brought business associates. It's always great food, always great service and always a great timeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ArtistaDowntownDined on 7/30/2014Very nice restaurant; food was great; service could of been better for the type of restaurant it was; elegantSpecial Features:
- Unfortunately slow serviceMLS2006Dined on 7/26/2014I have been to Artista many times and usually have a good experience. However this last visit was very frustrating. It seems to me that Artista is very slow on nights that there is not a show at hobby, so there were only 4 tables the entire time we were there. As usual out server asked if we had plans after dinner and we informed him we were going to a 9:20 movie. Unfortunately it was 8:50 before our food even arrived. We missed our movie because we wanted to eat our dinner. It was very unfortunate and I hope we don't have this experience again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Houstonian Big Band at ArtistaHoustonComposerDined on 7/18/2014We finally checked out the Houstonian Big Band playing at Artista, and it was a great night. Featuring a strong band and vocalists Horace Grigsby and Karen Nightingale, the music was fantastic. The food ranged from very good to great with the always enjoyable chiaroscuro, wonderful bread pudding and really special soups. Throw in the fabulous view and it remains one of our Houston favorites.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ARTISTA WORKS!!!!RonnDined on 7/18/2014The BIG BAND NIGHT, MYSTERY DINNER, and PLAID were too much fun...add the food, service, and ambiance for a GREAT night out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/18/2014Cordua restaurants always have great food, and lunch at Artista is always great. The design-your-own salad is terrific. My only qualm is in attentive service--after we were served we had a perfunctory question about quality and then couldn't find anyone to get us the check. Given the business lunch clientele, they need to be around and visible.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cityscape for visitorsCarolinedineDined on 7/17/2014Artista was the perfect spot to take overseas business visitors after a day of intense meetings. From the comfort of the dining room, we could view some of Houston's incredible buildings and converse easily , enjoying the excellent food and beverage selections with helpful yet discreet service. Artista on nights when there are no shows at the Hobby becomes a great business entertaining restaurant. Thank you for a wonderful evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Late lunch great serviceJannieDined on 7/2/2014We went for a late lunch at Artista and loved the luncheon menu. Our waitress Sherone (sp?) was very good. She had a large group in another room, but found bread for one of the diners that requested it when they don't normally serve bread. She was very accommodating. The food is always delicious...the salmon was very good and the paella was a hit with one of our guests. Any Cordua restaurant is exceptional!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better than my last reviewLovesAffensDined on 7/1/2014On our last visit, the service was horrible, but this time, it was excellent. Such a nice man with just the right amount of attentiveness. My salmon was good, but not great. I was expecting a more spicy sauce as it had "habanero" in the title. The salad was very good and I love their cilantro dressing. We ended with the Tres Leches and it was excellent. Overall, a very nice dinner.Special Features:
- Before the showHoustonTherapistDined on 7/1/2014Perfect before theatre. They are sensitive to the time constraints before a performance.Special Features:
- Excellent serviceCatbowDined on 7/1/2014It never ceases to amaze me how prompt the service is at Artista. No matter how crowded it is I have never been late for a performance in the theater district when I eat there. Every server is courteous and really knows the menu. The food is consistently great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.