800 Bagby Street, Suite 400
Hobby Center of the Performing Arts
Houston, TX 77002Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.cordua.com/
- Phone: 7132784782x
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Friday: 11:00am-9:00pm
Monday - Tuesday: 11:00am-2:00pm
Wednesday - Friday: 11:00am-9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Latin American, Seafood, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Michael Cordúa
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: With six award-winning restaurants, Américas, Artista, Churrascos and Amazón Grill to choose from, The Cordúa Group has taken the best of their portfolio and added other unique flavors. The result: a contemporary flavor unique to MjC Events that can be enjoyed outside of their restaurants. Whether you are planning an intimate gathering or a gala of splendor, the finest events always start with MjC Events. Event Managers are ready to help you plan your next event! Please contact them at MjC Events 713.961.0911.
- Private Party Facilities: Restaurant available for buy-outs, please contact us for more details.
- Private Party Contact: email@example.com 7139610911x
- Entertainment: piano, rat-pack, jazz
A word from Artista
A much-anticipated addition to the Houston restaurant scene, Artista offers creative cuisine, impeccable service and a perfect location to downtown Houston entertainment.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
Artista - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Artista reviews from OpenTable diners
170 reviews since May 6, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (104)scenic view (83)romantic (63)fit for foodies (57)great for lunch (38)good for groups (30)great for brunch (23)notable wine list (21)great for outdoor dining (19)hot spot (11)vibrant bar scene (10)kid-friendly (9)late-night find (8)neighborhood gem (7)Show More
- OverpricedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/30/2014The view of downtown was alright. The food was very overpriced, as well as, the valet service.Special Features:
- Lovely eveningsendlimesDined on 8/23/2014A fun dinner out while taking advantage of Houston Restaraunt Week? Everything was delicious, our only complaint was a cup of lobster bisque that was served "cool", but this was remedied quickly by our excellent waiter.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/22/2014Went to an HRW dinner Friday night with 4 of us. Although there was no public performance at the Hobby that evening, there was a local group hosting a function in the theater, so there was a bit larger crowd than there otherwise would have been. The 4 of us enjoyed the empanadas, tuna taquito and salad for starters. I really liked the shrimp masala with polenta--4 grilled shrimp atop a bed of creamy polenta with a small cup of masala to spread as you wish. I added a side of the sesame spinach and enjoyed the flavor combinations greatly. The only dish that wasn't enjoyed was the plantain crusted chicken. Iris did a good job as our waitress for the evening as others have mentioned.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Texan2theboneDined on 8/22/2014The service was perfect. The food was good but the Emanadas were a little over fried.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go elsewhereFoodieVIPDined on 8/22/2014My parents went here several years ago and we returned before a performance at the Hobby Center. Unfortunately the best thing we had all night was the plantain chips which came as a starter. The lobster bisque was too salty to finish. The beef with chimichurri sauce was edible, but nothing exciting since that sauce was used for the plantain chips. The plantain crusted chicken was like regular fried chicken from any fast food joint. The fish dish suffered from poor fish selection and was a bit overcooked. The ambience was great, but the food failed to live up to my expectations.
- Excellent service and amazing foodOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/21/2014Our server Iris was really knowledgable about the food and made sure she wrote down all the titbits of information on paper for is to use later. We really enjoyed the scenic view of Houston downtownSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romance at L'ArtistaHappyBirthdayGirlDined on 8/21/2014Very romantic restaurant. Friendly service. Good food. Great view.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very goodCharlesDined on 8/16/2014Everyone is our part is a big fan of Churrasco's and America's but this was the first visit to Artista for everyone in my group of four. The food was excellent, though my salmon was bland. Our only real complaint was that our server was either over-sat or just inattentive to our table because in the course of our meal another server appeared with no explanation and completed the evening with us. We attended on a slow Saturday evening as there was nothing on stage at the Hobby Center. We also ordered from the Restaurant Month menu.Special Features:
- Good before a showRLBTX3Dined on 8/13/2014We tried Artista because they were participating in Houston Restaurant Week. We didn't realize it was connected/inside of the Houston Hobby Center. If you're seeing a show it would make sense to dine here or stop for a drink. The decore is pretty and it is part of the Cordeau brand (Americas chain). I don't think the food was as good as Americas at all, but there was also only 5 tables seated during the 3 hours I was there (we had a long dinner catching up), and we were one of the 5. So it's possible the chef wasn't on point given so little was being ordered. The striped bass was great as well as the chocolate dessert and the tres leches!!! We didn't like the Churrasco steak though. Flavor was off and was a bit overcooked.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!Ruffus06Dined on 8/8/2014Artista never disappoints. We were looking for a downtown restaurant on Friday night, went to Artista and had a marvelous evening. No shows were playing so the restaurant was uncrowded and very quiet. The wine list is great, the food impeccable, and service is always spot on. This evening we were pleasantly surprised with the Restaurant Week specials. I recommend the lobster bisque and the salmon. You will not be disappointed. End the meal with tres leches - by far the best dessert. I recommend Artista for downtown dining.Special Features:
- Great food and Excellent Servicejla665Dined on 8/8/2014We enjoyed dinner after an early movie. We chose the Houston Restaurant Weeks menu, and all of our selections had excellent flavor, and the presentation was beautiful. The service was excellent, and care was taken to time the different courses properly. It was a great experience.Special Features:
- Lovely ExperienceWineSnobDined on 8/6/2014Wanted a new place near office. Menu was intriguing for Houston Restaurant Week. Food, service, and management not disappointing. Will return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful downtown viewOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/1/2014Love the setting sun abd the vibrant city lights from every view in Artista! The quiet ambience allowed for every table to have a nice time without having to hear everyone else. Plus the salmon was amazing and the tres leche was to die for!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always mattersDevineDiningDined on 8/1/2014I have been dining at artistas for many years. Sometimes it is just my husband and I, sometimes we bring the children and we've also brought business associates. It's always great food, always great service and always a great timeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unfortunately slow serviceMLS2006Dined on 7/26/2014I have been to Artista many times and usually have a good experience. However this last visit was very frustrating. It seems to me that Artista is very slow on nights that there is not a show at hobby, so there were only 4 tables the entire time we were there. As usual out server asked if we had plans after dinner and we informed him we were going to a 9:20 movie. Unfortunately it was 8:50 before our food even arrived. We missed our movie because we wanted to eat our dinner. It was very unfortunate and I hope we don't have this experience again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Houstonian Big Band at ArtistaHoustonComposerDined on 7/18/2014We finally checked out the Houstonian Big Band playing at Artista, and it was a great night. Featuring a strong band and vocalists Horace Grigsby and Karen Nightingale, the music was fantastic. The food ranged from very good to great with the always enjoyable chiaroscuro, wonderful bread pudding and really special soups. Throw in the fabulous view and it remains one of our Houston favorites.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ARTISTA WORKS!!!!RonnDined on 7/18/2014The BIG BAND NIGHT, MYSTERY DINNER, and PLAID were too much fun...add the food, service, and ambiance for a GREAT night out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/18/2014Cordua restaurants always have great food, and lunch at Artista is always great. The design-your-own salad is terrific. My only qualm is in attentive service--after we were served we had a perfunctory question about quality and then couldn't find anyone to get us the check. Given the business lunch clientele, they need to be around and visible.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cityscape for visitorsCarolinedineDined on 7/17/2014Artista was the perfect spot to take overseas business visitors after a day of intense meetings. From the comfort of the dining room, we could view some of Houston's incredible buildings and converse easily , enjoying the excellent food and beverage selections with helpful yet discreet service. Artista on nights when there are no shows at the Hobby becomes a great business entertaining restaurant. Thank you for a wonderful evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Late lunch great serviceJannieDined on 7/2/2014We went for a late lunch at Artista and loved the luncheon menu. Our waitress Sherone (sp?) was very good. She had a large group in another room, but found bread for one of the diners that requested it when they don't normally serve bread. She was very accommodating. The food is always delicious...the salmon was very good and the paella was a hit with one of our guests. Any Cordua restaurant is exceptional!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better than my last reviewLovesAffensDined on 7/1/2014On our last visit, the service was horrible, but this time, it was excellent. Such a nice man with just the right amount of attentiveness. My salmon was good, but not great. I was expecting a more spicy sauce as it had "habanero" in the title. The salad was very good and I love their cilantro dressing. We ended with the Tres Leches and it was excellent. Overall, a very nice dinner.Special Features:
- Before the showHoustonTherapistDined on 7/1/2014Perfect before theatre. They are sensitive to the time constraints before a performance.Special Features:
- Excellent serviceCatbowDined on 7/1/2014It never ceases to amaze me how prompt the service is at Artista. No matter how crowded it is I have never been late for a performance in the theater district when I eat there. Every server is courteous and really knows the menu. The food is consistently great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent food - Not so great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/30/2014We went to Artista before a show at the Hobby Center. Everything started really well until the food delivery. The food server did not know where the tables were so our dinner traveled the restaurant for 5 minutes or so. We identified the tray but could not get the servers attention. When we got our food, one of the side dishes was wrong. 2 of our party ordered the lamb cooked differently. The server did not make sure each person got the right dish. For the money we spent, we would have expected the service to be excellent. Will not go back.Special Features:
- DisappointedCathyLDined on 6/28/2014Had heard great things. Took my adult daughters befor The Little Mermaid. Nice staff. Salad and Tres Leches cake were good. Tilapia did not taste fresh. Could not finish. Service a bit slow.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/27/2014Waitress was nice, but when we hadn't received our order in over an hour she came by and said it would be out shortly because she had just put the order in. She didn't act like it was a big deal or offer an apology. We had 2 young children at the table. Our dinner reservations were at 6pm and we didn't leave until 745 pm.
- Ok experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/26/2014Food was subpar for what you get and it is extremely expensive. The only thing going for it, was its proximity to the theatre. If you want better South American inspired food, go to chimichurris in Kingwood.
- So soOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/26/2014I only visit this restaurant when I am attending an event at the Hobby Center. Only for convenience. View is excellent and food is average. Over priced and nothing special. My last visit was less than favorable. I had the scallops and they were undercooked. Service was great, though. Really bad table. I was certain the waiter would drop something on my head at any time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- aggie82Dined on 6/26/2014The atmosphere was nice, the tables were beautifully set and the overall decor was nice. The service was fine. Everything looked good until the food arrived. My overpriced ceasar salad and lobster bisque left much to be desired. The "salad" consisted of three pieces of romaine lettuce with a bit of cheese and dressing. It was very expensive for so little. My daughter got a different salad with basically the exact same look but with a few pecans and different cheese and dressing. The bisque was average with little of the lobster that served as it's namesake. I do not recommend this restraunt.
- Great food and good lunch specialCindy8000VIPDined on 6/25/2014The food at Artista was delicious and very reasonable for lunch. The petite Chirrasco was prepared to perfection. Good service. So much better than I had remembered. I'll be back soonSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/24/2014This restaurant was good when it first opened years ago - not so much any longer. Very disappointed all around with food - even my daughters Mac and Cheese tasted horrible! How do you mess up Mac and Cheese?
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/22/2014We had a great time eating our delicious dinner before seeing The Little Mermaid.Special Features:
- Artista ReviewOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/22/2014Artista, on its own, is a lovely place to dine. The fact that is so conveniently located inside the Hobby Center is an added bonus. We had a delicious meal and as always - exceptional service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ShowOakleyDined on 6/22/2014I was a great lunch to have before the Musical. Very convent to just walk into the play from there. I will also do this for now on.Special Features:
- The kitchen is back!LuvsGreatFoodDined on 6/22/2014We have been going to Artista for many years and recently had felt the quality of the food had declined. I am happy to say after this visit, I believe there has been a vast improvement. Our steaks were perfectly cooked, great char yet internal temp was on point. The mascarpone mashed potatoes were creamy and well seasoned and our asparagus was perfectly grilled, crisp but tender. We were all very pleased with our lunch and happy to see Artista return to the quality we knew.Special Features:
- Pre play dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/19/2014Food is very good but over priced. You are paying for the convenience of on site dining before the play.
- Not a Good ValueJentleflowerVIPDined on 6/17/2014Been a TUTS season ticket holder for the better part of ten years. My group always has a "fancy" dinner out pre-show. No matter how convenient Artista is to Hobby Center theatre-going, we never choose it as our dinner destination. Simply put, the food is over-priced. The atmosphere is great, but a $200 meal for four (pre-tip and with very few glasses of wine) can be beat at most of the area's top level restaurants.Special Features:
- Fantastic Fathers DayDuckDined on 6/15/2014I was very impressed with the atmosphere as well as the service & food. My wife, two daughters ( 5 & 7 ) and I had just came from watching a show at the Hobby Center. Our Waiter Daniel was very attentive as well as patient with our Daughters. The food was great, but the genuine customer service was the best! I will make sure to let everyone know. Thank you Daniel for a great meal, & helping to make the end of my Fathers Day Fantastic!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 6/13/2014We dined with 2 children prior to seeing "The Little Mermaid." They could not have made the experience of dining with children at a fine restaurant easier or more pleasant. Our waiter made spot-on suggestions about what to order from the "kids' menu." Although the chicken was not what she was used to, one of the children made the comment, "This chicken is soooo good."Special Features:
- BabsDined on 6/13/2014I love this restaurant. The ambiance is wonderful. The waiters are very friendly and helpful. The food is great and the lunch specials are quite reasonable. Going there for lunch makes my day special.Special Features: