1200 Dobbins Rd
Banner Elk, NC 28604Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.artisanalnc.com/
- Phone: 8288985395
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Sunday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Bill Greene
- Dress Code: Jacket Preferred
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Our private dining room is located adjacent to the wine cellar. The capacity is 32 guests. We do welcome parties on the terrace for up to 40 guests and can accommodate more for an event in the main dining room. We do not charge booking fees but do have minimums.
- Private Party Contact: Anita Greene 8288985395
- Entertainment: Entertainment may be available on occasions
A word from Artisanal Restaurant
Contemporary American Fine Dining in a rustic yet elegant environment. Innovative and progressive thinking in a farm to table approach, only working with the highest quality ingredients. This warm environment offers the best food and wine with excellent service. Wine Spectator Award of Excellence. Private dining room adjacent to the wine cellar available for events. Artisanal Restaurant is closed seasonally from November - April.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Artisanal Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Banner Elk ›
Artisanal Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
127 reviews since July 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.8Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (110)fit for foodies (92)romantic (91)notable wine list (89)great for outdoor dining (72)scenic view (60)neighborhood gem (30)good for groups (26)hot spot (10)late-night find (3)vibrant bar scene (2)Show More
- dineoutalotDined on 10/28/2014Always outstanding. Fish is so superb as well as the sides. Service was fabulous. A truly feel good , great food experience. Plan to spend time to drink in the ambience . Take a look out back at the creek and look at wine cellar downstairs. Dynamic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A best mealChefGeorgeDined on 10/22/2014I was a little skeptical that Artisanal could be all that others have said it is, what with the dress code in the country and rigid reservation policy. But this was one of the most pleasant dinners we've ever had. Everything was simply perfect, and I don't understand how Chef can get so much flavor into every single item. Yes, the wine list on an iPad seems a little precious, but it's a great way to get information you'd otherwise not have. And there are an adequate number of reasonably priced bottles. The sweetbreads app was one of the best preparations I've ever had, my lamb tenderloin was superb, and my wife's flounder was phenomenal. We went light for desserts and were blown away by the sorbets. Go there, and enjoy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 10/18/2014The best restaurant in this part of NC. Our third time here and always a terrific dining experienceSpecial Features:
- Dennis & CarolineDennisandCarolineDined on 10/14/2014Our favorite restaurant in the area. The place to go for delicious food and wine, extraordinary service and a quiet, romantic environment.Special Features:
- Anniversary DinnerJWagonerDined on 10/11/2014Overall a great dinning experience. All of the staff were excellent. The quality of food you will get at Artisanal is as good as any you will find in the high country of NC. All courses of our meal were very well prepared and only the highest quality of ingredients utilized. Extensive wine list. However, if you are not a wine drinker, then your selection of drinks will be somewhat limited. Would have been nice to have some of the craft beer available on tap in the area, but that is just me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Artisanal, very niceFrankVIPDined on 10/9/2014Great meal, great ambiance, great facility. Only issue is the reservation process via Open Table. We specified indoor dining in the Open Table reservation. We were called the day prior to our reservation, and we were told that the indoor/outdoor preference does not transmit from Open Table to the restaurant. So, we were offered dining outside, in 40 degree temperature, or we could eat at the bar. Neither option was acceptable. Finally we were offered a table in the main dining area 45 minutes later. Reservation system is not ideal. It seems to me that Open Table reservations are less desirable, and used to "fill in". Not a good situation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always AmazingBrianKDined on 10/9/2014We have decided to never eat anywhere else in Banner Elk! Why bother when you can Start with Asian Calamari, continue with Veal Osobuko, or an amazing Pasta or Fish and finish with BLOW YOUR MIND Dessert!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceeded ExpectationsSuSuDined on 10/9/2014Friends had highly recommended Artisanal Restaurant; however, we could only imagine just how exceptional this restaurant located in a barn would be! From the extensive wine list to the delectable menu items, our meal was delightful! The calamari appetizer to share was a culinary masterpiece. Crispy duck breast was the best I've ever eaten! Service, too exceeded our expectations: Our waiter was attentive without interrupting; he was helpful to make a recommendation when asked a preference. We noticed that the staff worked together to ensure a memorable dining experience for everyone. We've decided we have some wonderful friends to steer us to this fine dining establishment!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rustic yet elegantMtnvisitorDined on 10/9/2014Artisanal was a delight and we'll definitely go back. Dinner was great, service was super, and we made some new friends of the folks that were seated next to us. We highly recommend the quail appetizer, delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply the bestMarkVIPDined on 10/9/2014I have said and will continue to say Artisanal is the top restaurant in western NC. The amazing menu and varieties of foods elevate this place. But the ambiance, especially the outdoor dining is untouchable. Thanks Anita for all you do.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mountain HighGianDined on 10/8/2014This is one of the best, if not the best restaurant in the High Country. Always consistent. This trip had the calimari, octopus, and tuna. Everything was stellar. Great service too.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/7/2014With all the great dining restaurants in this area, Artisinal was our favorite restaurant to dine in for the week. The restaurant is beautiful, the service was excellent, and the ambiance very warm. The food was superb, with lots of different seasonings and sauces to really enhance the food flavors. The wine selection was very good; however, pricing is on the high side. I would definitely recommend this restaurant hands-down.Special Features:
- Worthy of destination dining.SukidinerDined on 10/2/2014One of the most soothing yet interesting decors of any restaurant. The al fresco dining in the summer is as wonderful as the interior seating. The food is choreographed silently in the open kitchen. The emphasis on seafood may not be trendy in a farm to table way but is as fresh as if you were on the water. They made an effort to present a seafood dish with an impromptu vegetarian sauce to accommodate a non meat eater which was much appreciated for both effort and outcome. The Fearrington House outside Chapel Hill is the only NC restaurant I'm familiar with that shares this level of ambiance, service, presentation, location and memorably good cooking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ArtisanMikeBDined on 9/30/2014For those that remember the Tack Room in Foscoe, Artisanal takes it to a new level. Bill and Anita have built a gem and continue to amaze. The food is spectacular and they really know how to bring service. I am impressed with the new wine ipad with a very broad selelection. Banner Elk is on the map due to Artisanal. Thank youSpecial Features:
- CindyDined on 9/27/2014Service was excellent....especially in dealing with the excessively noisy party, not what you expect when paying $250+ for dinner....a very diverse menu. Food quality was above average however the overall "flavor" seemed to be lacking. The calamari was very good, everything else just average.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Away from Home DiningHappydinerDined on 9/27/2014This was our second time in two days, so we liked everything about it. We are from Jacksonville Florida and come to Boone about twice a year, and will definitely make sure we have diner while we are there.Special Features:
- Excellent gem in mountainsOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/27/2014Great find in banner elk. Local ingredients and excellent atmosphere. Definitely recommend.Special Features:
- FinediningDined on 9/16/2014One of the finest restaurant is in Banner Elk, N.C. We found the restaurant to be quite impressive. It has been made to look like a barn both outside and inside. The wooden beams and plank walls were wonderfully relaxing and inviting. We were warmly greeted by the manager and owner Anita Greene. Our server, Taylor was delightful. She was attentive and helpful. The food was amazing. The Main Lobster Fritters were fantastic. We also ordered the Cast Iron Cornbread served with Maple Butter. My wife had the Butter Steak, it was so tender no knife was needed. I ordered the Maine Scallops, they were outstanding. Taylor then suggested the donuts in lemon sauce. Next time we are in the area we will make it a point to eat at Artisanal.Special Features:
- Very goodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014Three of us had a 5:30 p.m. reservation. Service was good and the Maine Fritters we had as an appetizer were very good. Yeast rolls, good. Two of us had an 8 oz. filet and one had the scallops. The filet was wonderful, but we were a bit surprised that there were only 3 scallops served for the other entree. Three. Hmmmm........ seems a bit sparse for the price of the meal. They were very good, but we would not order them again. The cocktails were artfully prepared and very good.I would recommend this to a friend.
- A hidden food gemBeachcomber1959Dined on 9/11/2014Nestled in the hillside of the Banner Elk community is a hidden gem showcasing local food and an extensive wine offering. Restaurant decor, food presentation and taste, and personal attention from the staff creates a lasting positive memorable experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experienceGennyDined on 9/11/2014The large barn is welcoming and elegant--we sat on the porch and listened to the rain falling as we ate. Highlights were roasted corn salad, scallops, duck breast, and deconstructed s'mores for dessert. It's unusual to find a setting this unusual and inviting matched with food that was as well executed as it was conceived. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First class diningJayBirdDined on 9/11/2014Beautiful restaurant, super service, great food, extensive wine list in a beautiful setting. In my opinion it is the best restaurant in the Banner Elk, Boone and Blowing Rock.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Artisinol is Worth the Experiencejager22Dined on 9/11/2014A stunning restaurant in the middle of a beautiful pasture location. The atmosphere is serene and calming especially the patio location. The food was outstanding and the service the best. Definitely a place to go for a special occasion.Special Features:
- ExtraordinaryOldfisherman67Dined on 9/4/2014Artisanal is simply extraordinary. Truly, it it has to be....considering its location is not any place one "happens by" and that it is high-end price wise, it must provide a unique experience and that it does. Ambiance is rustic elegance, wine list extensive, service top-notch and, let's just say Chef Bill Green knows what he's doing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 1verygoodcookDined on 9/2/2014My husband and I and 4 friends went for a belated celebration of my birthday. The food was wonderful and perfectly seasoned; not oversalted as it was last year. The salad viniagrette was way too sharp and we told the waitress. She took it back to the kitchen and the chef agreed and took if off the check. The reason I did not give 5 stars is because of the wine list. There is only one bottle of New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc by the bottle and one by the glass and neither one was very good. If you are not familiar with unknown wines you will have a difficult time choosing a wine, unless you want to spend around $85.00 on a bottle. We finally chose a French Sancerre and it was pretty good. We will definitely go back again this fall.Special Features:
- Worth every penny!OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 8/29/2014Wonderful experience! I highly recommend to anyone travelling to this area. The expectations were high, and the restaurant did not disappoint.Special Features:
- Banner Elk GemVixtrsViewDined on 8/29/2014The Artisanal staff really understand service and the whole dining experience. The ambiance is that of an upscale farmhouse with soaring ceilings, a large carved horse in the center, and rich wood flooring. Dining inside is ery nice in club booths, but dining on the patio is a real treat along side the babbling brook. The fare marries local vegetables with finely prepared main dishes of duck, beef, pork and fish. The wine list is extensive as is thier amazing wine cellar - in the cellar! Please save room for the salted carmel torte. Oh....My....Goodness! That, with your cappuccino is a fine finish to a wonderful evening. Unless you are able to get a seat at the fire pit to enjoy that last cordial of the evening..... Perfection!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special occasion, not to be missedNC123VIPDined on 8/29/2014We read the reviews on Trip Advisor and were looking for a nice restaurant for a birthday celebration and it did not disappoint. Parking is available at a lower lot, walk up a sidewalk to restaurant or by valet. The architecture is similar to a horse stable but, the ambiance is high class and dress code more formal than most vacation/casual restaurants. The wine list is extensive, needed more salad and dessert options. The staff are attentive, helpful, knowledgeable and our food was fantastic in taste, portion, presentation. We chose to sit out doors on the covered deck with a beautiful view of a stream. The price reflects the overall setting and quality, probably a special occasion restaurant for most travelers but, worth the drive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/29/2014The Aug 29 date was my wife's 80th birthday and I so advised Artisanal when I made the reservation by way of the Internet. On their own, much to my surprise, they gave us a round table in the corner of the building with view of the creek and barn. This special service was much appreciated. Five of our six ordered fish and the other ordered the pork chop. The food presentation was excellent and food taste was superb. The service provided by our waitress along with others who assisted her was excellent. Much to my surprise the tab was less than I anticipated which made the evening even more enjoyablelSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SquirrelDined on 8/27/2014Dinner presentation was lovely. Appropriate serving size. Scallops were divine. Red snapper was over- cooked. Bread so good. Welcoming noise level. Waiter was very good, and helpful with our wine choice. Wines are pricey. Dinners, reasonable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional in All AspectsBillinVADined on 8/26/2014Very near the perfect dining experience. By every rating criteria, a 5 star experience. Staff training was evident. Exceptional wine list, unique ambiance, delicious meal. Overall, a very top tier dining experience. Worth a trip to experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Artisanal in transitionDavidDined on 8/23/2014The experience is worth the money and the drive. We drove over from Valle Crucis, and were very pleased. We were seated on time, the pace was excellent, the wine list was extensive and the food was beautifully prepared and served elegantly. Wines were a tad pricey. We had been warned that pending new ownership had reduced portion sizes, but we had perfectly sized portions. Our entrees ran the gamut from fish to beef. All arrived together and prepared perfectly. The corn chowder was a delightful surprise in terms of presentation, texture and flavors. We might return once we hear more aboutvthe new chef.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a gemKristineVIPDined on 8/21/2014This is our date night restaurant where we "dress up" and have a romantic fabulous meal. The service is always outstanding and the food is incredibly prepared and delicious. The wine list is extensive and now it's all on an iPad which makes selection so much fun! We celebrate my husband's birthday there each year (just had our 4th one) and, ironically, we've been seated in the same booth each time which is wonderful.Special Features:
- New Most Favorite RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/17/2014If I didn't have to drive 500 miles from Maryland, I would enjoy this gem every week. Beautiful mountain meadow entrance, rocky brook setting from the rear covered deck (with radiant heaters for cool evenings), excellent menu, and very attentive wait staff. Don't miss out on the desserts!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- like2eetOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/16/2014The entire experience at Artisanal was exactly as I hoped it would be. It was a special occasion and the food, service, and ambiance were perfect.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/13/2014What a wonderful restaurant. They maintain a balance between fine dining and not being stuffy. Best restaurant in the NC High Country.Special Features:
- We love Artisanal!txag94Dined on 8/12/2014One of our absolute favorite restaurants. Every time we are in the area (usually about once a year), we make a reservation to eat at Artisanal. We love it and have never been disappointed. The atmosphere, architecture and decor are great; the service is fantastic; and the food is amazing. We over ordered and had a bit of brocolini left that the server offered to wrap up for us to take. Of course we forgot all about it while eating dessert, but it was waiting for us on the front seat when the valet brought our car. It's the attention to little details like that which pushes this restaurant above the rest!Special Features:
- Good but not GreatDanthemanDined on 8/12/2014Service and ambiance great. Food was OK. We originally ordered the butter steak and after our first course the waiter came back and said the chef didn't like the amount of fat on the steak and was redoing it. He offered us a pasta dish to eat while we waited for our new steak to arrive. By this time we had gone thru a $100.00 bottle of Cab. The new steak arrived and was cut into three pieces. We both ordered medium rare. On each plate one piece of steak was medium rare, the other two, medium to well. I wanted to send them both back but the spouse said don't make a fuss! For the amount of the meal a fuss was justified but I gave in and ate the steak. If you go there have a cocktail on the patio before dinner. Very delightful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the Best EverOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/7/2014Artisanal is a diner's paradise. The food and service is the best we have ever had, consistently. We make it to the restaurant once a year. It never disappoints.Special Features:
- WonderfulkcmcDined on 8/6/2014Artisinal was a wonderful experience. Everything was exceptional!Special Features: