1200 Dobbins Rd
Banner Elk, NC 28604Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.artisanalnc.com/
- Phone: 8288985395
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Sunday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Bill Greene
- Dress Code: Jacket Preferred
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Our private dining room is located adjacent to the wine cellar. The capacity is 32 guests. We do welcome parties on the terrace for up to 40 guests and can accommodate more for an event in the main dining room. We do not charge booking fees but do have minimums.
- Private Party Contact: Anita Greene 8288985395
- Entertainment: Entertainment may be available on occasions
A word from Artisanal Restaurant
Contemporary American Fine Dining in a rustic yet elegant environment. Innovative and progressive thinking in a farm to table approach, only working with the highest quality ingredients. This warm environment offers the best food and wine with excellent service. Wine Spectator Award of Excellence. Private dining room adjacent to the wine cellar available for events. Artisanal Restaurant is closed seasonally from November - April.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Artisanal Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Banner Elk ›
Artisanal Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
139 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.9Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (117)romantic (104)notable wine list (95)fit for foodies (90)great for outdoor dining (84)scenic view (74)neighborhood gem (25)good for groups (16)hot spot (8)great for brunch (2)kid-friendly (2)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Banner Elk GemOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/29/2014The Artisanal staff really understand service and the whole dining experience. The ambiance is that of an upscale farmhouse with soaring ceilings, a large carved horse in the center, and rich wood flooring. Dining inside is ery nice in club booths, but dining on the patio is a real treat along side the babbling brook. The fare marries local vegetables with finely prepared main dishes of duck, beef, pork and fish. The wine list is extensive as is thier amazing wine cellar - in the cellar! Please save room for the salted carmel torte. Oh....My....Goodness! That, with your cappuccino is a fine finish to a wonderful evening. Unless you are able to get a seat at the fire pit to enjoy that last cordial of the evening..... Perfection!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special occasion, not to be missedNC123VIPDined on 8/29/2014We read the reviews on Trip Advisor and were looking for a nice restaurant for a birthday celebration and it did not disappoint. Parking is available at a lower lot, walk up a sidewalk to restaurant or by valet. The architecture is similar to a horse stable but, the ambiance is high class and dress code more formal than most vacation/casual restaurants. The wine list is extensive, needed more salad and dessert options. The staff are attentive, helpful, knowledgeable and our food was fantastic in taste, portion, presentation. We chose to sit out doors on the covered deck with a beautiful view of a stream. The price reflects the overall setting and quality, probably a special occasion restaurant for most travelers but, worth the drive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/29/2014The Aug 29 date was my wife's 80th birthday and I so advised Artisanal when I made the reservation by way of the Internet. On their own, much to my surprise, they gave us a round table in the corner of the building with view of the creek and barn. This special service was much appreciated. Five of our six ordered fish and the other ordered the pork chop. The food presentation was excellent and food taste was superb. The service provided by our waitress along with others who assisted her was excellent. Much to my surprise the tab was less than I anticipated which made the evening even more enjoyablelSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SquirrelDined on 8/27/2014Dinner presentation was lovely. Appropriate serving size. Scallops were divine. Red snapper was over- cooked. Bread so good. Welcoming noise level. Waiter was very good, and helpful with our wine choice. Wines are pricey. Dinners, reasonable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional in All AspectsBillinVADined on 8/26/2014Very near the perfect dining experience. By every rating criteria, a 5 star experience. Staff training was evident. Exceptional wine list, unique ambiance, delicious meal. Overall, a very top tier dining experience. Worth a trip to experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Artisanal in transitionDavidDined on 8/23/2014The experience is worth the money and the drive. We drove over from Valle Crucis, and were very pleased. We were seated on time, the pace was excellent, the wine list was extensive and the food was beautifully prepared and served elegantly. Wines were a tad pricey. We had been warned that pending new ownership had reduced portion sizes, but we had perfectly sized portions. Our entrees ran the gamut from fish to beef. All arrived together and prepared perfectly. The corn chowder was a delightful surprise in terms of presentation, texture and flavors. We might return once we hear more aboutvthe new chef.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a gemKristineVIPDined on 8/21/2014This is our date night restaurant where we "dress up" and have a romantic fabulous meal. The service is always outstanding and the food is incredibly prepared and delicious. The wine list is extensive and now it's all on an iPad which makes selection so much fun! We celebrate my husband's birthday there each year (just had our 4th one) and, ironically, we've been seated in the same booth each time which is wonderful.Special Features:
- New Most Favorite RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/17/2014If I didn't have to drive 500 miles from Maryland, I would enjoy this gem every week. Beautiful mountain meadow entrance, rocky brook setting from the rear covered deck (with radiant heaters for cool evenings), excellent menu, and very attentive wait staff. Don't miss out on the desserts!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- like2eetOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/16/2014The entire experience at Artisanal was exactly as I hoped it would be. It was a special occasion and the food, service, and ambiance were perfect.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/13/2014What a wonderful restaurant. They maintain a balance between fine dining and not being stuffy. Best restaurant in the NC High Country.Special Features:
- We love Artisanal!txag94Dined on 8/12/2014One of our absolute favorite restaurants. Every time we are in the area (usually about once a year), we make a reservation to eat at Artisanal. We love it and have never been disappointed. The atmosphere, architecture and decor are great; the service is fantastic; and the food is amazing. We over ordered and had a bit of brocolini left that the server offered to wrap up for us to take. Of course we forgot all about it while eating dessert, but it was waiting for us on the front seat when the valet brought our car. It's the attention to little details like that which pushes this restaurant above the rest!Special Features:
- Good but not GreatDanthemanDined on 8/12/2014Service and ambiance great. Food was OK. We originally ordered the butter steak and after our first course the waiter came back and said the chef didn't like the amount of fat on the steak and was redoing it. He offered us a pasta dish to eat while we waited for our new steak to arrive. By this time we had gone thru a $100.00 bottle of Cab. The new steak arrived and was cut into three pieces. We both ordered medium rare. On each plate one piece of steak was medium rare, the other two, medium to well. I wanted to send them both back but the spouse said don't make a fuss! For the amount of the meal a fuss was justified but I gave in and ate the steak. If you go there have a cocktail on the patio before dinner. Very delightful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the Best EverOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/7/2014Artisanal is a diner's paradise. The food and service is the best we have ever had, consistently. We make it to the restaurant once a year. It never disappoints.Special Features:
- WonderfulkcmcDined on 8/6/2014Artisinal was a wonderful experience. Everything was exceptional!Special Features:
- ARTISANAL MISSES THE MARKFoodforThoughtDined on 8/3/2014Artisanal could be world class, but it misses the mark. 3 elements go into making an unforgettable dining experience: the food, the space, and the dining room management. While the food and the space deserve 5 stars, the restaurant has policies that lack graciousness and border on rudeness. The restaurant’s draconian cancelation policy sets a negative tone from the outset. Seating requests are ignored. Our waitress offered a “half” glass of wine to replace one that she spilled and demanded our valet tickets at the end of the meal, effectively booting us out of our seats. A great dining experience should delight and excite. The food and space do just that, but the experience is soured by policies that say you are not welcome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing experienceBusymom789Dined on 8/2/2014Possibly the best dining experience we have ever had. Certainly one of the best dining memories!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KayGained10poundsDined on 8/2/2014I brought my husband here for his 60th birthday. We had an excellent experience. The food, service, ambiance was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing restaurant!!VetDocDined on 8/1/2014Artisanal is a jewel in the High Country of North Carolina. Superb ambiance, delectable food and 5 star service made this truly a dining paradise. Hats off to the chefs and the owners, for they have set the standard for fine dining in this area. Well done and keep up the great work - can't wait to return and sample more of your fantastic food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/31/2014The food, service and atmosphere were fantastic. The only thing was there was a dress code when you made the reservation requesting jackets for men etc and we saw a lot of people that did not follow the dress code. That makes the outing a little less special when some people follow the rules and others don't and not informed. But would come back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentTealgirlDined on 7/30/2014My husband and I discussed this was the best restaurant we have been to in North Carolina. It's definitely in our top 10 all around. Will recommend Artisanal to everyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Food & Ambience!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/26/2014Never a disappointment!! Whether you eat inside or outside, it is amazing!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Five Star Dining!CiciDined on 7/26/2014We had another outstanding experience at Artisanal. From the atmosphere, service, and every course, another Five Star evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ImpeccablemcpILMDined on 7/26/2014Quite possibly the best meal and dining experience we have ever had -- and who would have expected that in tiny Banner Elk! The architecture is stunning, the wines are superb, the food was worthy of a Michelin star and the service was phenomenal. Well, well done, Artisanal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb foodluvfoodVIPDined on 7/25/2014We have been to this restaurant several times,but this time the food was exceptionally good. The gnochi and veal was out of this world. Fois gras torchin and oysters were wonderful. This restaurant keeps getting better. My husband had pork belly tacos and that was superb as well. Butter steak is consistently his favorite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great mountain experience.gammyVIPDined on 7/19/2014There are many very good resturants in high country but none compare to Artisanal. This resturant features fine food, great service, and an exceptional wine list with-in a truly unique and comfortable setting. The food selections are creative, organic, and varied so every visit is different. Request outdoor dining for a truly special evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FabulousOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/18/2014this was a dining experience. We had 6 in our party and none had been before. We thoroughly enjoyed it! The entire experience was great. Hope to go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special OccasionNYreviewDined on 7/18/2014The service was excellent. They were friendly, polite and knowledgeable. They made you feel real important. I was with my wife, sister, and brother-in-law celebrating birthdays and an anniversary. My wife and sister had the duck and they really like it. My brother-in-law had the scallops and they were great. However, I thought the salad and fish dish I had was only fair. I guess I just choice the wrong dish that night. Over all it was very pleasant evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top 100TnPeachDined on 7/18/2014We made the 1 hour trip to celebrate the 39th anniversary of our friends. The restaurant was not ostentatious or stilted. It offered inventive dishes without too much flair but the taste of each vegetable was like you were experiencing all of its best qualities. The entrees (fish & steak) were also quite good. Our appetizer of crab beignets was a favorite. Did I mention the rolls? They by themselves were worth a return trip. Desserts were ok.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentjfkbikeVIPDined on 7/17/2014This is a very good restaurant. A true Chef who tries to do things that are original and interesting. Cool Barn like building to. Just go.Special Features:
- Outstanding in every WayOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/17/2014My wife and I regard Artisanal s the best restaurant in the High Country. The food is excellent as is the service from valet parking to the wait staff at the table. We are both sensitive to salt and the chef has been very accommodating in preparing meals without adding salt where possible. Cannot say enough good things about the restaurant. It is not cheap, but worth the extra cost for a really good dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!RickeeDined on 7/15/2014We were told by a friend to be sure to eat here.... They were correct! It is fabulous in all respects. Our waitress was fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Arguably The Best Restaurant in NCPenwineVIPDined on 7/13/2014Bill and Anita Greene never fail to deliver a wonderful dining experience. Whether it is the valet greeting you and escorting you to the open door, the gracious welcome by the host/hostess, the wonderfully lit and attractively set tables, the attentive servers or the food (OH, YES, THE FOOD), we have never been disappointed. With just the two of us or a group of 10, we always leave with smiling faces from the excellent evening. The wine list is extensive & fairly priced. The food is full of creative, delicious tastes and always presented in an inventive manner. Our evenings have always been paced perfectly. The only disappointment is that too many people love the restaurant as do we, making advance reservations of as much as a month a must.Special Features:
- Superb restaurant.LuvthefoodDined on 7/11/2014We had a great time. The food was outstanding and the atmosphere very unusual and amazing. Definitely a 5 star restaurant. The drive to the restaurant is beautiful also.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a find!CharzanDined on 7/10/2014Artisanal has it all-- exquisite food, setting, service! The wait staff was attentive and professional. Get a pear mojito to start your magical evening! The equestrian theme is carried out in the building and art work down to the tiniest detail. We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Impeccable Dining in the mountainsLaverneVIPDined on 7/8/2014In the middle of nowhere sits Artisanal. The restaurant is associated with the Diamond Creek golf club. Beautiful setting inside and out. Servers were knowledgeable and friendly. Food was amazing. We sat outside and it got quite dark (candle wouldn't stay lit and was not enough light). Valet was a nice touch but hardly needed. Overall truly great find. Fries in duck fat? Oh yes. Will certainly be back.Special Features:
- Great timekoeg44Dined on 7/8/2014Excellent in every respect. Went for my wife's birthday and had a wonderful time.Special Features:
- jaybird4Dined on 7/8/2014This is THE restaurant in the High Country for foodies. Their menu has always been excellent and expensive, but worth it. This week we went and they have added some pasta dishes that are fabulous and very reasonable to the point that we will consider them more often. In the past this was a 2 times a year only on special occasion place. It is still very special, but the new menu will make us look here more often instead of Zuzdas, Sorentos and Jackalopes. Those other places are excellent, but Artisinal is SPECIAL....Special Features:
- Best EverMrTeeDined on 7/8/2014Our business took us to Europe on numerous occasions. My wife and I , and companions have purposely sought out the top dining spots on ever occasion. After many visits to Artisanal, both with friends and family, we must without doubt report the Artisanal is our choice of all time. We find it miraculous that such a venue is within miles of our mountain home at Grandfather Golf and Country Club.Special Features:
- Artisanal: Diamond in the MountainsStormioDined on 7/8/2014We are never disappointed with Bill and Anita Green's talents. An amazing evening, we introduced some dear friends to our favorite high country restaurant and the evening was superb. We have to leave in a week, but will make a point of at least one more dinner to cap off our vacation to our mountain home.Special Features:
- Artisinal July 3Happy1Dined on 7/3/2014Perfect night for dining outside on the terrace, cool but comfortable. Both enjoyed gimlet cocktails followed by great salads and NZ Sauvignon Blanc. Dinner for us was lamb loin possibly as good as I have ever enjoyed. Beautiful presentation and enough for a hearty appetite. Finished up with well thought out cheese and remainder of Talley Pinot Noir. We love the food and the atmosphere but for the first time ever our server was very indifferent. Still the best restaurant in the NC mountains !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.