1200 Dobbins Rd
Banner Elk, NC 28604Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.artisanalnc.com/
- Phone: 8288985395
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Sunday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Bill Greene
- Dress Code: Jacket Preferred
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Our private dining room is located adjacent to the wine cellar. The capacity is 32 guests. We do welcome parties on the terrace for up to 40 guests and can accommodate more for an event in the main dining room. We do not charge booking fees but do have minimums.
- Private Party Contact: Anita Greene 8288985395
- Entertainment: Entertainment may be available on occasions
A word from Artisanal Restaurant
Contemporary American Fine Dining in a rustic yet elegant environment. Innovative and progressive thinking in a farm to table approach, only working with the highest quality ingredients. This warm environment offers the best food and wine with excellent service. Wine Spectator Award of Excellence. Private dining room adjacent to the wine cellar available for events. Artisanal Restaurant is closed seasonally from November - April.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Artisanal Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Banner Elk ›
Artisanal Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
135 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.9Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (114)romantic (103)notable wine list (93)fit for foodies (91)great for outdoor dining (82)scenic view (69)neighborhood gem (23)good for groups (19)hot spot (9)late-night find (2)great for brunch (1)kid-friendly (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/16/2014One of the finest restaurant is in Banner Elk, N.C. We found the restaurant to be quite impressive. It has been made to look like a barn both outside and inside. The wooden beams and plank walls were wonderfully relaxing and inviting. We were warmly greeted by the manager and owner Anita Greene. Our server, Taylor was delightful. She was attentive and helpful. The food was amazing. The Main Lobster Fritters were fantastic. We also ordered the Cast Iron Cornbread served with Maple Butter. My wife had the Butter Steak, it was so tender no knife was needed. I ordered the Maine Scallops, they were outstanding. Taylor then suggested the donuts in lemon sauce. Next time we are in the area we will make it a point to eat at Artisanal.Special Features:
- Very goodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014Three of us had a 5:30 p.m. reservation. Service was good and the Maine Fritters we had as an appetizer were very good. Yeast rolls, good. Two of us had an 8 oz. filet and one had the scallops. The filet was wonderful, but we were a bit surprised that there were only 3 scallops served for the other entree. Three. Hmmmm........ seems a bit sparse for the price of the meal. They were very good, but we would not order them again. The cocktails were artfully prepared and very good.I would recommend this to a friend.
- A hidden food gemBeachcomber1959Dined on 9/11/2014Nestled in the hillside of the Banner Elk community is a hidden gem showcasing local food and an extensive wine offering. Restaurant decor, food presentation and taste, and personal attention from the staff creates a lasting positive memorable experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experienceGennyDined on 9/11/2014The large barn is welcoming and elegant--we sat on the porch and listened to the rain falling as we ate. Highlights were roasted corn salad, scallops, duck breast, and deconstructed s'mores for dessert. It's unusual to find a setting this unusual and inviting matched with food that was as well executed as it was conceived. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First class diningJayBirdDined on 9/11/2014Beautiful restaurant, super service, great food, extensive wine list in a beautiful setting. In my opinion it is the best restaurant in the Banner Elk, Boone and Blowing Rock.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Artisinol is Worth the Experiencejager22Dined on 9/11/2014A stunning restaurant in the middle of a beautiful pasture location. The atmosphere is serene and calming especially the patio location. The food was outstanding and the service the best. Definitely a place to go for a special occasion.Special Features:
- ExtraordinaryOldfisherman67Dined on 9/4/2014Artisanal is simply extraordinary. Truly, it it has to be....considering its location is not any place one "happens by" and that it is high-end price wise, it must provide a unique experience and that it does. Ambiance is rustic elegance, wine list extensive, service top-notch and, let's just say Chef Bill Green knows what he's doing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 1verygoodcookDined on 9/2/2014My husband and I and 4 friends went for a belated celebration of my birthday. The food was wonderful and perfectly seasoned; not oversalted as it was last year. The salad viniagrette was way too sharp and we told the waitress. She took it back to the kitchen and the chef agreed and took if off the check. The reason I did not give 5 stars is because of the wine list. There is only one bottle of New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc by the bottle and one by the glass and neither one was very good. If you are not familiar with unknown wines you will have a difficult time choosing a wine, unless you want to spend around $85.00 on a bottle. We finally chose a French Sancerre and it was pretty good. We will definitely go back again this fall.Special Features:
- Banner Elk GemVixtrsViewDined on 8/29/2014The Artisanal staff really understand service and the whole dining experience. The ambiance is that of an upscale farmhouse with soaring ceilings, a large carved horse in the center, and rich wood flooring. Dining inside is ery nice in club booths, but dining on the patio is a real treat along side the babbling brook. The fare marries local vegetables with finely prepared main dishes of duck, beef, pork and fish. The wine list is extensive as is thier amazing wine cellar - in the cellar! Please save room for the salted carmel torte. Oh....My....Goodness! That, with your cappuccino is a fine finish to a wonderful evening. Unless you are able to get a seat at the fire pit to enjoy that last cordial of the evening..... Perfection!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special occasion, not to be missedNC123VIPDined on 8/29/2014We read the reviews on Trip Advisor and were looking for a nice restaurant for a birthday celebration and it did not disappoint. Parking is available at a lower lot, walk up a sidewalk to restaurant or by valet. The architecture is similar to a horse stable but, the ambiance is high class and dress code more formal than most vacation/casual restaurants. The wine list is extensive, needed more salad and dessert options. The staff are attentive, helpful, knowledgeable and our food was fantastic in taste, portion, presentation. We chose to sit out doors on the covered deck with a beautiful view of a stream. The price reflects the overall setting and quality, probably a special occasion restaurant for most travelers but, worth the drive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/29/2014The Aug 29 date was my wife's 80th birthday and I so advised Artisanal when I made the reservation by way of the Internet. On their own, much to my surprise, they gave us a round table in the corner of the building with view of the creek and barn. This special service was much appreciated. Five of our six ordered fish and the other ordered the pork chop. The food presentation was excellent and food taste was superb. The service provided by our waitress along with others who assisted her was excellent. Much to my surprise the tab was less than I anticipated which made the evening even more enjoyablelSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SquirrelDined on 8/27/2014Dinner presentation was lovely. Appropriate serving size. Scallops were divine. Red snapper was over- cooked. Bread so good. Welcoming noise level. Waiter was very good, and helpful with our wine choice. Wines are pricey. Dinners, reasonable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional in All AspectsBillinVADined on 8/26/2014Very near the perfect dining experience. By every rating criteria, a 5 star experience. Staff training was evident. Exceptional wine list, unique ambiance, delicious meal. Overall, a very top tier dining experience. Worth a trip to experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Artisanal in transitionDavidDined on 8/23/2014The experience is worth the money and the drive. We drove over from Valle Crucis, and were very pleased. We were seated on time, the pace was excellent, the wine list was extensive and the food was beautifully prepared and served elegantly. Wines were a tad pricey. We had been warned that pending new ownership had reduced portion sizes, but we had perfectly sized portions. Our entrees ran the gamut from fish to beef. All arrived together and prepared perfectly. The corn chowder was a delightful surprise in terms of presentation, texture and flavors. We might return once we hear more aboutvthe new chef.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a gemKristineVIPDined on 8/21/2014This is our date night restaurant where we "dress up" and have a romantic fabulous meal. The service is always outstanding and the food is incredibly prepared and delicious. The wine list is extensive and now it's all on an iPad which makes selection so much fun! We celebrate my husband's birthday there each year (just had our 4th one) and, ironically, we've been seated in the same booth each time which is wonderful.Special Features:
- New Most Favorite RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/17/2014If I didn't have to drive 500 miles from Maryland, I would enjoy this gem every week. Beautiful mountain meadow entrance, rocky brook setting from the rear covered deck (with radiant heaters for cool evenings), excellent menu, and very attentive wait staff. Don't miss out on the desserts!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- like2eetOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/16/2014The entire experience at Artisanal was exactly as I hoped it would be. It was a special occasion and the food, service, and ambiance were perfect.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/13/2014What a wonderful restaurant. They maintain a balance between fine dining and not being stuffy. Best restaurant in the NC High Country.Special Features:
- We love Artisanal!txag94Dined on 8/12/2014One of our absolute favorite restaurants. Every time we are in the area (usually about once a year), we make a reservation to eat at Artisanal. We love it and have never been disappointed. The atmosphere, architecture and decor are great; the service is fantastic; and the food is amazing. We over ordered and had a bit of brocolini left that the server offered to wrap up for us to take. Of course we forgot all about it while eating dessert, but it was waiting for us on the front seat when the valet brought our car. It's the attention to little details like that which pushes this restaurant above the rest!Special Features:
- Good but not GreatDanthemanDined on 8/12/2014Service and ambiance great. Food was OK. We originally ordered the butter steak and after our first course the waiter came back and said the chef didn't like the amount of fat on the steak and was redoing it. He offered us a pasta dish to eat while we waited for our new steak to arrive. By this time we had gone thru a $100.00 bottle of Cab. The new steak arrived and was cut into three pieces. We both ordered medium rare. On each plate one piece of steak was medium rare, the other two, medium to well. I wanted to send them both back but the spouse said don't make a fuss! For the amount of the meal a fuss was justified but I gave in and ate the steak. If you go there have a cocktail on the patio before dinner. Very delightful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the Best EverOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/7/2014Artisanal is a diner's paradise. The food and service is the best we have ever had, consistently. We make it to the restaurant once a year. It never disappoints.Special Features:
- WonderfulkcmcDined on 8/6/2014Artisinal was a wonderful experience. Everything was exceptional!Special Features:
- ARTISANAL MISSES THE MARKFoodforThoughtDined on 8/3/2014Artisanal could be world class, but it misses the mark. 3 elements go into making an unforgettable dining experience: the food, the space, and the dining room management. While the food and the space deserve 5 stars, the restaurant has policies that lack graciousness and border on rudeness. The restaurant’s draconian cancelation policy sets a negative tone from the outset. Seating requests are ignored. Our waitress offered a “half” glass of wine to replace one that she spilled and demanded our valet tickets at the end of the meal, effectively booting us out of our seats. A great dining experience should delight and excite. The food and space do just that, but the experience is soured by policies that say you are not welcome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing experienceBusymom789Dined on 8/2/2014Possibly the best dining experience we have ever had. Certainly one of the best dining memories!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KayGained10poundsDined on 8/2/2014I brought my husband here for his 60th birthday. We had an excellent experience. The food, service, ambiance was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing restaurant!!VetDocDined on 8/1/2014Artisanal is a jewel in the High Country of North Carolina. Superb ambiance, delectable food and 5 star service made this truly a dining paradise. Hats off to the chefs and the owners, for they have set the standard for fine dining in this area. Well done and keep up the great work - can't wait to return and sample more of your fantastic food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/31/2014The food, service and atmosphere were fantastic. The only thing was there was a dress code when you made the reservation requesting jackets for men etc and we saw a lot of people that did not follow the dress code. That makes the outing a little less special when some people follow the rules and others don't and not informed. But would come back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentTealgirlDined on 7/30/2014My husband and I discussed this was the best restaurant we have been to in North Carolina. It's definitely in our top 10 all around. Will recommend Artisanal to everyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Food & Ambience!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/26/2014Never a disappointment!! Whether you eat inside or outside, it is amazing!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Five Star Dining!CiciDined on 7/26/2014We had another outstanding experience at Artisanal. From the atmosphere, service, and every course, another Five Star evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ImpeccablemcpILMDined on 7/26/2014Quite possibly the best meal and dining experience we have ever had -- and who would have expected that in tiny Banner Elk! The architecture is stunning, the wines are superb, the food was worthy of a Michelin star and the service was phenomenal. Well, well done, Artisanal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb foodluvfoodVIPDined on 7/25/2014We have been to this restaurant several times,but this time the food was exceptionally good. The gnochi and veal was out of this world. Fois gras torchin and oysters were wonderful. This restaurant keeps getting better. My husband had pork belly tacos and that was superb as well. Butter steak is consistently his favorite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great mountain experience.gammyVIPDined on 7/19/2014There are many very good resturants in high country but none compare to Artisanal. This resturant features fine food, great service, and an exceptional wine list with-in a truly unique and comfortable setting. The food selections are creative, organic, and varied so every visit is different. Request outdoor dining for a truly special evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FabulousOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/18/2014this was a dining experience. We had 6 in our party and none had been before. We thoroughly enjoyed it! The entire experience was great. Hope to go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special OccasionNYreviewDined on 7/18/2014The service was excellent. They were friendly, polite and knowledgeable. They made you feel real important. I was with my wife, sister, and brother-in-law celebrating birthdays and an anniversary. My wife and sister had the duck and they really like it. My brother-in-law had the scallops and they were great. However, I thought the salad and fish dish I had was only fair. I guess I just choice the wrong dish that night. Over all it was very pleasant evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top 100TnPeachDined on 7/18/2014We made the 1 hour trip to celebrate the 39th anniversary of our friends. The restaurant was not ostentatious or stilted. It offered inventive dishes without too much flair but the taste of each vegetable was like you were experiencing all of its best qualities. The entrees (fish & steak) were also quite good. Our appetizer of crab beignets was a favorite. Did I mention the rolls? They by themselves were worth a return trip. Desserts were ok.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentjfkbikeVIPDined on 7/17/2014This is a very good restaurant. A true Chef who tries to do things that are original and interesting. Cool Barn like building to. Just go.Special Features:
- Outstanding in every WayOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/17/2014My wife and I regard Artisanal s the best restaurant in the High Country. The food is excellent as is the service from valet parking to the wait staff at the table. We are both sensitive to salt and the chef has been very accommodating in preparing meals without adding salt where possible. Cannot say enough good things about the restaurant. It is not cheap, but worth the extra cost for a really good dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!RickeeDined on 7/15/2014We were told by a friend to be sure to eat here.... They were correct! It is fabulous in all respects. Our waitress was fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Arguably The Best Restaurant in NCPenwineVIPDined on 7/13/2014Bill and Anita Greene never fail to deliver a wonderful dining experience. Whether it is the valet greeting you and escorting you to the open door, the gracious welcome by the host/hostess, the wonderfully lit and attractively set tables, the attentive servers or the food (OH, YES, THE FOOD), we have never been disappointed. With just the two of us or a group of 10, we always leave with smiling faces from the excellent evening. The wine list is extensive & fairly priced. The food is full of creative, delicious tastes and always presented in an inventive manner. Our evenings have always been paced perfectly. The only disappointment is that too many people love the restaurant as do we, making advance reservations of as much as a month a must.Special Features: