Artisanal Fromagerie Bistro & Wine Bar
2 Park Avenue
New York, NY 10016Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
Artisanal Fromagerie Bistro & Wine Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.artisanalbistro.com/
- Phone: 2127258585x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday
Dining Room: 11:45 am - 2:45 pm
Wine Bar: 11:45 am - 5:00
BRUNCH: Sunday, 10:30am - 3:45pm
BRUNCH: Saturday 11:00am - 3:45pm
Monday - Wednesday, 5pm - 9:45pm
Thursday - Saturday, 5pm - 10:45 pm
Sunday, 5pm - 8:45 pm
Monday - Wednesday, till 11:00pm
Thursday - Saturday, till midnight
Sunday, till 10:00pm
Monday - Friday, 11:45 am - 11:00pm
Saturday, 11:00 am - 11:00pm
Sunday, 10:30am - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fondue, French
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: With Artisanal’s Event Planning, Consultation and Catering Services you'll surprise your guests with an Artisanal experience at home, the office or in our very own dining room; food and beverage consultants will help you with menu planning, cheese and pairing selections; catering and staffing. Please call (212)725-8585 or email our Event Planner at email@example.com for more information.
- Special Events:
Surprise your guests with an Artisanal experience at home, the office or here on premise; food and beverage consultants will help you with menu planning, cheese and pairing selections; catering & staffing(212)725-8585 Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Cross Street: 32nd Street between Park and Madison
- Public Transit: 6, N, Q, W, R Trains to 34th Street
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Street parking is possible after 6pm -ALSO- indoor parking is available at Icon Parking 475 Park Avenue South ( 32nd btwn. Park and Lexington Avenues) Tel (212)684-8352
A word from Artisanal Fromagerie Bistro & Wine Bar
Artisanal Fromagerie, Bistro and Wine Bar showcases the formidable creativity and passion of Chef-Proprietor Terrance Brennan who adds playful twists to classic French bistro dishes. Selecting only premium ingredients, Brennan’s commitment to the use of artisanal, sustainable and organic products is evident in the quality of each dish. Recalling a bustling Parisian bistro, Artisanal’s handsome Art Deco interior offers the sophisticated French specialties one might expect in Paris. As the name implies, Artisanal features a scrumptious selection of 250 hand-crafted cheeses from around the world. In the back of the dining room is the cheese cave, a temperature and humidity controlled room, where a number of the world’s finest artisanally-made cheeses are aged to optimum ripeness and peak flavor. Adjacent to the dining room is the wine bar, which boosts 75 wines by the glass.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Artisanal Fromagerie Bistro & Wine Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
302 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (140)great for lunch (97)special occasion (89)neighborhood gem (85)great for brunch (77)notable wine list (75)good for groups (61)romantic (51)kid-friendly (19)hot spot (16)late-night find (13)vibrant bar scene (13)great for outdoor dining (5)scenic view (3)Show More
- We shared a lovely mealOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/26/2014The star of the show here is the cheese. The wine choices are quite good as well. We shared a delicious fondue as our first course. Two entrees to follow seemed like too much, so we shared one Poulet de Sel. Our waiter was completely amenable and un-condescending about this, and even plated it beautifully into two servings. It was superb.Special Features:
- What happened to Artisanal?FrednycVIPDined on 8/23/2014I've gone to Artisanal for years and it always was reasonably priced good French bistro fare similar to Les Halles. Not anymore. Apparently there is a new owner who increased prices by 25% or more. For example, oysters @ $5 each or 1/2 dozen for $27.50, $22 martinis (without service in an individual shaker), $15 Bibb salad and for the most ridiculous - $51 for osso buco. I admit the chicken under a brick was good even at $34 and our waiter was attentive although the wait for drinks could not be explained. The only thing reminiscent of the old Artisanal is the funky cheese smell. It's now a tourist venue for those who don't know better and are looking for dinner in the hip Flatiron North area. Too bad.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/23/2014The onion soup was hearty and delicious, and the caprese sandwich was surprisingly good since I was expecting a cold sandwich, not, hot. Tarte Tatin was excellent.Special Features:
- Outstanding Again!!SJA5VIPDined on 8/20/2014Clients loved the NYC dining experience that was something other than a traditional steak house. The Sinful Experience and Feisty Redheads wine and cheese pairings blew them away. Heading back next week for brunch with my daughter.Special Features:
- Trusted neighborhood lunch spotOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/20/2014WHen Artisanal was new on the scene it was a special date night place for us. Now my office is in the area and it's become a trusted spot for business or celebratory lunches. The high standards are always consistent. Never had a bad meal or bad experience there. Sometimes when it's super busy it is too noisy - but most of the time they spread people out enough to keep it mostly pleasant.Special Features:
- great food with a viewJellybeanVIPDined on 8/19/2014Delightful, no rush, friendly, great food The best cheese selection to end a great mealSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Way too pricey for what you getOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/18/2014We had loved this restaruant before we left the city. Now we find the prices really out of line, the menu confusing and the service, the night we revisited, amatuerish. Too bad. the food and cheese are still very good.
- Cheese please!MichaelBVIPDined on 8/17/2014truly a great find in NYC if you are a cheese lover. Our group could have just had cheese plates and been happy, but the entrees were delicious as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always greatBlackhawkDined on 8/16/2014My third visit over several years, and it continues to be a "must visit" restaurant when I am in NY. The steak frites are always a great choice, but the daily specials should not be missed. One of our party had the lamb shank and raved about it. And the service was perfect, always close by and responsive, without hovering. And don't miss the cheese.Special Features:
- YumDgizleDined on 8/15/2014Great fondue here. We come specifically for it. Also the bernaise sauce with the steak is uhhh-mazeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overpriced, but tastybujoldDined on 8/15/2014Glad to have gone there once to see what it was like, but wouldn't need to go again. Would shop for cheese there, though! Kind & knowledgeable cheesemongers.Special Features:
- Wonderful food!SteelyKateDined on 8/14/2014We had a great time trying Artisanal's Restaurant Week menu. Each course was absolutely lovely. And the vegetarian options were among the best on the menu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NEVER disappointed!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/13/2014Everything was delicious and the service was great, as usual. These waiters don't rush you out the door. Wonderful time!Special Features:
- Problematic serviceCooksavantDined on 8/13/2014I have been going here regularly for some time. I ate there twice this week. Service both times was painfully slow. What's going on?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/12/2014The service was good, the ambiance is very nice and the food was great, but it was a summer day and it was a bit uncomfortable. No air conditioning, so it was quite warm in the restaurant and VERY hot in the restrooms. My guest indicated that the men's room was like a sauna. Although the doors were open and there were a number of overhead ceiling fans, it would have been better if there were also some air conditioning running.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Inconsistent ServiceinfdazeDined on 8/11/2014There was 1 waiter (+0 runners assisting) serving the entire restaurant, and while knowledgeable + very professional, he (admittedly!) couldn't provide good service. It took 15+ minutes for wine orders, we sat w/ empty glasses for much of the time, water + bread wasn't refilled fast, dishes were waiting at the cheese/charcuterie station 10+ mins before pickup, finally bill took long time to come, and came to $180 for an average cheese & charcuterie plate, the 2nd cheapest bottle of champagne on the menu, sorbet, and miniscule watermelon salad. I would have rather eaten at home. I guess I made the same mistake twice because a few years ago I came here and my food literally never arrived after the kitchen had already ran out of 2 items.Special Features:
- Great PlaceMisterDeeDined on 8/10/2014Artisanal is a great place to eat any time of the day. My wife and I usually go to Artisanal on Sunday's because there is more parking available. Our favorite is their french onion soup, which is made the way is should be made, with authentic cheeses. Everything we have tried there is great and the service is great as well. My wife and will be eating at Artisanal until the end of time.Special Features:
- go for the cheesegetwhatyoupayforDined on 8/7/2014Cheese selection is great, remainder of food was inconsistent. Wine list was out of date; food came to the table prepared incorrectly. Expensive and unsatisfying.
- Unexpected pleasureMinisterOfCultureVIPDined on 8/7/2014My partner and I visited Artisanal Fromagerie as we found their Restaurant Week menu intriguing, and discovered that the food lived up to the menu descriptions and more. We have friends who are particularly enamored of cheeses - we will have to go back for fondue and cheese and charcuterie plates there.Special Features:
- Cheeeeese :-)PepsDined on 8/6/2014We had an all- wine and cheese dinner. Fantastic cheese selection, superb quality and great recommendation for choosing. Highly recommended if you are a cheese lover.Special Features:
- Good for fondueOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 8/6/2014were a little bit disappointed by the Artisanal. food generally good, but very small portions which for the amount of food you get certainly are overprized.Special Features:
- Poor experiencePatienceDined on 8/5/2014The food was good, but was not up to it's price point. The service from beginning to end was just awful. Servers were frantic, did not listen, took forever to return with a request. The restaurant did not appear to be understaffed, but rather not trained. Not something a customer should have to put up with when being charged these prices. Won't recommend it and won't be back.
- Artisinal -- a hard place to lovetd252Dined on 8/5/2014I eat here once a year or so and I and my guests have always liked the "bounce" and feel of the place. Earlier this week I took three out-of-towners to a somewhat disappointing experience. If you decide to go, make a reservation in person and ask specifically if the air conditioner is working -- unpleasant, too-warm climate (which has already been noted in recent reviews - I ignored them figuring it takes, what, a day, for a place like that to get the A/C fixed). Food took waaay too long to arrive -- nearly an hour for the salads. The polite waiter said something like "when the head chef's not there, it gets slow." Overall the evening wasn't worth the $90 per person (trout almondine for me, nice wine) we paid.
- mogjohnstonDined on 8/5/2014Always a great meal - lunch, brunch, dinner all terrific. Book early for special occasions - always fun!Special Features:
- SAY 'CHEESE' AND FROWNWolfgangDined on 8/5/2014Although Cheese was a dessert option on their Restaurant Week Menu, it was not advertised as a $7 supplement. You only found out the bad news when you said "Cheese," to the waitress. I didn't like the taste of the Skate and the Chicken entree had the consistency of cardboard. The room was very noisy, and because the A/C was poor I had to change tables three times to find one that was tolerable. Not a good experience.
- howieDined on 8/4/2014reasonable prices for gourmet food and pleasant charming atmosphere. it's not romantic per se, rather it is convival and nicely straddles the line between casual and chicSpecial Features:
- Service at a place like this?FoodfanaticDined on 8/4/2014Took half an hour before we were waited on after being seated. No apology, just threw 4 pieces of marble sized cheese bread at us for waiting so long. Soup du jour was a chilled vegetable soup, the best thing that was served that night. Chicken was dry and one piece was still a bit raw in the middle. The waiter was disinterested and dismissive. Granted we were a bit younger than the other diners(21-22 and dressed appropriately for the restaurant's setting); the service was wildly subpar. Brings to mind some flawed logic: younger people will tip less so lets give them bad service so they tip even less. It was demeaning and insulting. It doesnt take much to keep customers from feeling neglected-this low standard was not even met.Special Features:
- Always reliableShozgirlVIPDined on 8/4/2014Always reliable, wide selection and excellent service. However beware Restaurant Week 2014, there is a cheese dessert option for which no surcharge on website nor printed menu. Yet in person we were advised it additional $7.00. For the small amount we received this was truly an overstep or at least be upfront and say so before the fact.Special Features:
- Horrific ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/3/2014I have eaten at this restaurant on a number of occasions and was surprised to learn that my parents who went for restaurant week lunch on Sunday had such a terrible experience. The waitress was clueless. First, she said there was only brunch available. Then she conceded there was a lunch menu and then realized that yes, there is a restaurant week menu. Then when she delivered the bill it was for $98. After she was reminded that the bill was supposed to reflect restaurant week prices she prepared the correct bill. Unbelieveable.
- Yum good and friendly waiters!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/3/2014The Gougeres are so good! Would like to have tons if possible lol. The main dishes are pretty nice too. Just wish I could have deserts (was too full). Would like to try onion soup and fondue next time!Special Features:
- Great Experience!maria558Dined on 8/2/2014It was delicious! And the staff was very friendly and helpful! Would go there again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedNativeNewYorketVIPDined on 8/2/2014Returned to Artisinal after receiving a gift certificate. The gift certificate was given because my husband and I loved it the first time we ate there and highly recommended it. This second time was a huge disappointment. Service was good but the food was awful. Our entrees came out so quickly after we ordered. My fish was barely lukewarm and dry. My husband ordered a rare steak that was served medium. I've heard Saturday nights should be avoided for dinner as restaurants believe they are catering to out of towners. It may explain why Artisinal was so awful this past Saturday. I guess we should have let the chef know we live a few blocks away. I won't be recommending it again and, in fact, will warn people to stay away.
- What happened???Nyfoodies4lifeDined on 8/2/2014Been here many times, but will not return for quite some time...if at all. First they could not find my reservation, which was confirmed by opentable.. They said they would seat us anyway. Gee thanks! Our group were guinea pigs for some new staff being trained by a waiter who was not very professional himself, as he lost his cool several times with the staff in close earshot of our group. The seafood was not very fresh, and the mussels were obviously previously frozen because they were not yet fully thawed. Several items were also missing from the menu.I am not one who enjoys writing negatively about anyone's business, but Artisanal needs to get with the program. Very disappointed.
- MaryDined on 8/2/2014I suggested more several salads, with fruits, seeds and vegetables.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service not up to usual standardPJSBDADined on 8/2/2014We've eaten at Artisanal many times, when visiting NYC. This visit was not the best. The gougères were not stale, but were not fresh from the oven either! My wife's main course arrived first while I had to wait a few miniutes for my cheese flight. The waiter commented that the accompying wines were "being poured", but they did not arrive untill several minutes later, by which time I had finished the first cheese. He made no effort to indicate which wines matched which cheese. We'll try Artininal on our next visit, as we won't let one bad waiter spoil our impression of an otherwise good venue. We did visit the cheese counter to stock up on cheeses to take home. The two staff at the counter were extremey helpful and very knowlegeable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PriceyChristineVIPDined on 8/1/2014I know wine and cheese can be pricey, but it was surprisingly more expensive than we expected.Special Features:
- Excellente!!!candyvirgoDined on 8/1/2014Many restuarants skimp on the choices and portions during restuarant week. But not your establishment. The dinner prix fixe menu was an excellent representative sample of your full menu with perfect portions. Out of my party of four, 2 of us ordered the prix fixe menu; the other 2 ordered from your full menu. We were all extremely happy with the taste of our food and the service of your staff. Thank you for a great dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful as alwaysCie123Dined on 8/1/2014The onion soup was wonderful, and the croque monsieur and salad hit the spot. It remains one of my favorite restaurants.Special Features:
- Amazing service and fine cuisineFoodie45Dined on 8/1/2014We ate here for lunch during resteraunt week. It was simply spectacular. Although we had to ask for the prefix, the server brought it promptly without hesitation. The food was absolutely amazing! Penne and Creme brûlée with berries and Cinnamon are so great! My server was wonderfully pleasant and attentive. I would definitely return. Their regular menu prices are high but that it what you pay for good service and food in New York. We loved this place it was a perfect choice!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant Week LunchMrsPoirotDined on 7/31/2014The food was not exceptional but it was good, especially the salmon and skate. However, for a restaurant that prides itself on artisan cheeses, the cheese plate (served with a supplementary $7 over the lunch prix fixe) was meager, of mediocre quality and had no comfit or any other garnish which traditionally would accompany cheese plates. The service was outstanding--friendly, attentive and not obtrusive.Special Features: