Artisanal Fromagerie Bistro & Wine Bar
2 Park Avenue
New York, NY 10016Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
Artisanal Fromagerie Bistro & Wine Bar
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.artisanalbistro.com/
- Phone: (212) 725-8585
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday
Dining Room: 11:00 am - 4:45 pm
BRUNCH: Sunday, 10:30am - 4:45 pm
BRUNCH: Saturday 11:00am - 4:45 pm
Sunday - Wednesday, 5pm -11 pm
Thursday - Saturday, 5pm - midnight
Sunday - Wednesday, till 1am
Thursday - Saturday, till 2am
Monday - Friday, 11:00 am - 11:00pm
Saturday, 11:00 am - 11:00pm
Sunday, 10:30am - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Pay with OpenTable,Visa
- Cuisine: Fondue, French
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, High Tea, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: With Artisanal’s Event Planning, Consultation and Catering Services you'll surprise your guests with an Artisanal experience at home, the office or in our very own dining room; food and beverage consultants will help you with menu planning, cheese and pairing selections; catering and staffing. Please call (212)725-8585 or email our Event Planner at email@example.com for more information.
- Special Events:
Surprise your guests with an Artisanal experience at home, the office or here on premise; food and beverage consultants will help you with menu planning, cheese and pairing selections; catering & staffing(212)725-8585 Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Cross Street: 32nd Street between Park and Madison
- Public Transit: 6 train to 33rd Street and Park Avenue
N, Q, W, R Trains to 34th Street and Broadway
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Street parking is possible after 6pm -ALSO- indoor parking is available at Icon Parking 475 Park Avenue South ( 32nd btwn. Park and Lexington Avenues) Tel (212)684-8352
A word from Artisanal Fromagerie Bistro & Wine Bar
Artisanal Fromagerie, Bistro and Wine Bar showcases the formidable creativity and passion of Chef-Proprietor Terrance Brennan who adds playful twists to classic French bistro dishes. Selecting only premium ingredients, Brennan’s commitment to the use of artisanal, sustainable and organic products is evident in the quality of each dish. Recalling a bustling Parisian bistro, Artisanal’s handsome Art Deco interior offers the sophisticated French specialties one might expect in Paris. As the name implies, Artisanal features a scrumptious selection of 250 hand-crafted cheeses from around the world. In the back of the dining room is the cheese cave, a temperature and humidity controlled room, where a number of the world’s finest artisanally-made cheeses are aged to optimum ripeness and peak flavor. Adjacent to the dining room is the wine bar, which boosts 75 wines by the glass.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Artisanal Fromagerie Bistro & Wine Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
280 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (144)special occasion (85)neighborhood gem (76)notable wine list (74)good for groups (73)great for lunch (71)romantic (60)great for brunch (59)hot spot (39)late-night find (26)vibrant bar scene (25)kid-friendly (17)great for outdoor dining (8)scenic view (2)Show More
- white truffles - hard to findOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/25/2014This is the first time I have ever submitted a complaint about a restaurant. I have been to Artisanal many times. I was very disappointed in the truffle risotto for $150. The waiter could not shave the truffle on the risotto, so I received 3 dots of white truffle. Another waiter tried to help him by holding a small dish in the air and had the waiter try to shave the truffle onto it. After the failed attempt, the waiter placed the 2 bits of truffle on the table and left. I was shocked and very disappointed as this was a very special birthday celebration. There was quite a bit of truffle oil as you could tell by the strong truffle taste. There were also large oyster mushrooms (in size)that over-powered the dish (they are a mild tasting mushroom). It was never mentioned that other mushrooms were incorporated in the dish. I have had white truffles several times this season and I all not go back to Artisanal, especially for a special dish.
- Pure PerfectionOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/22/2014We went to Artisanal for a friends birthday. We were blown away by the quality of the food. We had the grand Fondue. We wished we ordered 3!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hot, hot, hot!Marina17Dined on 11/21/2014The food was tasty. However since we were seated over the heating grate it was difficult to enjoy. Yes, it was a chilly evening but it was very uncomfortable. The server was nice, but service itself was slow. On the way out I asked if others complain about these seats and the host said yes! Considering how pricey...the whole guest experience should be considered.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- If you want to pay for abuse.OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 11/21/2014We ordered the Fondue. This was brought and then removed from the table, What??. Then it took 30 minutes by the clock for them to bring a cocktail, What?????? We were a party of four. They brought just three of our dishes, and said the fourth item was given to another table. Another twenty minute wait. Of course our food became cold. What????????. Completely tortured. Oh, they had "inadvertently" turned the air conditioning off over our table. This just improved the sensation of unpleasantness.
- Huge disappointmenthudsonwolfVIPDined on 11/21/2014We have been coming here for over 7 years, at least 2-3 per year. There have been drastic changes since our last visit: a) The prices for food have significantly increased b) The half glass of wine (4oz) has is no longer available. Now they serve you 5oz for a full glass and the prices went up by 30% on top! My wife ordered a "special" which ended up being 5 gnocchi's and some sauce for $32! I had the steak tartare which used to be very good. Not anymore and $32 as well. Including a couple glasses of wine we walked out with $300+ tab and promised never to come back. I felt sorry for the wait staff but I could not hold back to tell them. They disclosed that the new ownership wants to go a different road... Well that road is wrong!
- entre took over an hour to arriveOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/19/2014I love the place because it reminds me of LaCupole in Paris. It is pricey but the ambience is pure French bistro and the steak frite was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noice level WAY too highSchulmanDined on 11/18/2014The food and service are excellent. However, the music is played way too loudly. Hence, it is virtually impossible to converse comfortably during dinner and even the wait staff can't hear the customers.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Brunch SpotdebbDined on 11/16/2014When I visit NY, I often go to Artisanal for brunch. The food is always delicious and just a cut above the typical brunch food. The atmosphere is lively and very much like a french bistro. It is pricey, but worth the splurge!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EatingismythingEatingismythingVIPDined on 11/15/2014Food is always good but service usually isn't. Today was as usual Cheesecake is outstanding as is the selection of cheeseSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- the tail wagging the dogruthblueDined on 11/15/2014I took family from out of town and for the first hour we had a fabulous time. Then at 8.30 the music level shot up and we had to literally about to one another to make conversation, Several talks with management did nothing to mitigate the problem--at one point the manager blamed it on the iPod player--and one of the men was combative and surly. That was unfortunate. Most of the clientele were in their 40s, 50s, and 60s, and the group at the table next to ours were also reduced to shouting. Don't you think it's important to keep in focus who matters: the manager or the customers? After all, we're not only the ones paying the bill but the ones who have the option to come back for another meal. Or not.I would recommend this to a friend.
- BobMDined on 11/15/2014Loved it. Our favorite French Restaurant. Fromage excellent. Could offer some less expensive wine selections.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun, Very Good Food, Expensive Wine ListNoMooForMeDined on 11/15/2014The title above says it all. Nice room, great energy, very good food, terrific service, high-end bistro ambiance. But, does the wine list REALLY have to be so expensive. It's out of whack.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent options, but very pricey wineBodhimitDined on 11/15/2014My wife and I celebrated her birthday, and heard wonderful things about Artisanal. The reviews were spot on, but left out how expensive the wines were. The food was very fairly priced and delicious. However, they were selling wines by the glass that were more expensive than the entire bottle. The bottles were selling for 3-4x what you could find them for (I thought restaurants typically keep it to 2-3x). And, tea was $5-6...for a tea bag and hot water. I think what we missed were the happy hour specials where drinks were half price at the bar. That would have been perfect. We also aren't cheap, and love splurging on evenings out. We just couldn't handle the price spectrum between food and wine. The food and cheese, however, were delightful. We both had a wine and cheese flight which were excellent. My wife had the hangar steak which was great...but a little boring. I had the lobster risotto which was incredible. It was half a lobster over a delicious mushroom risotto...for $32! Incredible. The service was acceptable. The sommalier was a little snooty and pushy, but knew his stuff. Our waiter took a while to warm up to us (he didn't introduce the wine and cheese pairings, and was a little tough to find in the beginning of the meal, but he turned out to be nice). It was a pleasant experience, but I'm not sure I'd go back.Special Features:
- Good but overpricedruddkaDined on 11/15/2014Good food, but overpriced for what you get. $9.50 for a side of pomme frites? Ridiculous. Also they are not your traditional pomme frites, they're more like an order of Burger King french fries. If you're going for brunch, definitely get the prix-fixe as its the only thing worth the bang for the buck. Croque Madame was so-so, definitely had better. Like i mentioned before, the pomme frites were a joke and the $14 mimosa was ok.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- If only the service matched the food!MixedBagAtArtisanalDined on 11/14/2014My husband and I were recently at Artisanal for dinner and had a disappointing experience in terms of service, but a great one with respect to the food. After being seated at our table, the waitress came by to ask if we wanted water and handed us a drinks menu (but no food menus), and we asked for ice water. 15 minutes went by, and no sign of our waitress despite a restaurant full of waitstaff and "service captains" who walk the floor managing the service. After another 5+ minutes trying to get someone's attention, I finally caught the eye of one of the service captains and he came over. I told him we'd been seated for over 20 minutes without water or menus. He apologized, and five minutes later our waitress came by and asked again what kind of water we wanted, then came back a few minutes later with water and menus. Despite the rocky start, every single thing we ordered was delicious. We ordered the gougeres to start, and skipped appetizers because we were so ready for dinner by then! I had the sea bass and my husband had the mussels. The sea bass was cooked perfectly, and one of the highlights was the tomato vinaigrette that lined the plate. My husband's mussels were some of the best we've ever had. We ordered a cheese course to follow, which was mind-blowing! The selection was incredible, and the cheese portions are very generous.Special Features:
- We had a wonderful meal with excellent service.SimsburyCTmoDined on 11/14/2014The fondue was excellent, the wine selection vast and tr French fries perfect. We had a wonderful experience all around.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overpriced wines in an extremely loud restaurant.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/12/2014Not fit for any kind of conversation. On top of a very loud dining room, because its decoration does not absorb the conversations of the other diners, the restaurant plays background music at a very high volume. The food was very good but the service, poor. The wine list is ample and interesting, but the prices of the wine are ridiculous. Normally a wine sells at a New York restaurant at two to three times its retail price, but here they charge four to five times retail.
- less enjoyable than previous visitsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/12/2014food services was very slow, orders were prepared incorrectly and service generally was inattentive
- Great but too expensive !CowboyVIPDined on 11/11/2014World class food but too expensive for after tax dollars - ok if the corporation is paying the billSpecial Features:
- Weekend Brunch SpecialWillDined on 11/9/2014Booked a table for weekend brunch special with cocktails (advertised as 11-4) at 11am. Arrived to be told they couldn't serve alcohol until 12. Food was good but enjoyed Balthazar a lot more.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noisy and poor foodTito0970Dined on 11/8/2014We had a reservation and we waited for 30 mnts even though there were plenty empty table. Seems that maitre D and floor manager had some communications issues. Music (in brasserie?) was crazy loud! We sat, order to start cheese fondue and foie gras to share; cheese was poor (ham in it was not mentioned) and the foie gras was one of the worst I have ever tested. Served warm and you could see it was cut in advance and put in fridge and was not even cover up. As an entree ladies had daurade which were ok, another had lamb chop (rack) ok and I had lobster risotto and was over cooked. We stop the adventure before desert and no need to mention that it was over price.$100+ p/p Will not recommended and willnot go back.
- StableRedGinjiDined on 11/7/2014They still do a great job! Food and wine were really good. The sommelier helped us select a good wine. Wine prices are high. A few less expensive options would be welcome.Special Features:
- Can do it betterGeorgeDined on 11/6/2014The cheese selection is fresh and good, but by the price they can do much better in the bread!! Please review what is doing the chef. Service was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Grossly OverpricedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/6/2014The steak was $45, but tasted more like $15. The mushroom soup du jour was $15, but the mushroom soup at Au Bon Pain for $5 is way better. Even the Pomme Frites were soggy. Nice decor, good service, but at the price we paid I expect much much better food. If you're looking for a good meal, this is not the place to go.
- Best cheese selection in AmericaMichaelcheeseloverDined on 11/6/2014Artisanal is an absolute must if you love cheese. They have over 100 cheeses on any night, each aged to perfection. Go discuss what you should choose with the cheese monger in the back of the restaurant. The steak tartar is also fabulous.Special Features:
- smokeyDined on 11/6/2014Always GREAT, but they did NOT have my reservation from open table. Thank goodness I was early..they filled up quickly!Special Features:
- Good food but noisyRhodany2Dined on 11/5/2014Don't go here if you want to talk to your dinner companions. Food is great. Noise level is super high.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply Excellent!!!luckylavanderDined on 11/4/2014We dined on Tuesday night and our waiter was the best!!! I did not catch his name but he explained to us and made excellent recommendations on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Deceptive Service - Caveat EmptorCrystalVIPDined on 11/4/2014Just had an interesting dinner here. Food was very good however we were severely misled by our server. He mentioned specials including a whole Dover sole. I asked if it was for one or for two - the server responded that is fine for one person so I ordered it. When the bill came I was charged $97 for a plate of fish. I could have for asked the price however I trusted the guidance of the server. It was clearly a dish to be shared. They did not adjust the price and I was very disappointed in our visit. The food was very good. Poor service. Caveat emptor
- Great fondueHGWTVIPDined on 11/3/2014We always get the fondue with the chicken and beef tips and we are never disappointed. The service is friendly and very professional. My octopus was smoky and tender with tasty, crispy lardons. A very nice meal. I highly recommend Artisanal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/3/2014Excellent for cheese lovers,fondues,etc....it is very reasonable in prices,great service,friendly ,very good food and wines.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OK place for an OK mealDisappointedVIPDined on 11/2/2014With a little effort at improvement in service, it would be a place for a nice meal and a nice timeI would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 11/2/2014Artisinal is definitely my favorite brunch place in the city. They have an excellent selection of cheeses. The French onion soup is delicious. The croque monsieur is delightful. The service is prompt and courteous.Special Features:
- Good but overpriced.MagicDined on 11/1/2014The place and food were good, service excellent , but overpriced. The wine costs were obscenely expensive.
- A unique establishmentEJakeVIPDined on 11/1/2014There are not many cities in this country where you can choose from a list of over 100 cheese and a respectful selection of various wines and pairing both enjoy great service. Artisanal is a neighborhood gem--the establishment has been around for over 16 years and recently changed owners for the better. The new owners have improved the cheese selections, wine list, brunch availability. The place is quite popular and gets packed during peak hours.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Halloween noisehoustonfoodieVIPDined on 10/31/2014Was there a long time before acknowledged, food is pricey but pretty good
- Cheeses and cheesespmarraVIPDined on 10/26/2014We truly enjoy going to Artisanal. We have experienced taking away picnic, fondue, gougeres and fantastic wines!Special Features:
- muito bomalicepenteadoDined on 10/25/2014incrivel carta de queijos, atendimento impecavel e a comida....para deixar saudades!!Special Features:
- Not worth it by a mileEpicureanDined on 10/23/2014Three cocktail sized lamb chops for $40 isn't just bad value-it's robbery. So are $15 heirloom tomatoes of bad supermarket quality. Everything but the cheeses and the fries is just ordinary, and surely they could find some wine for less than $70 a bottle to put on their list.
- Pricey but excellentChantboyVIPDined on 10/18/2014Outstanding food and service and I love the bistro ambience. I just wish it was little less expensive.Special Features: