843 12th Street
Paso Robles, CA 93446Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.artisanpasorobles.com/
- Phone: 8052378084x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm; Sunday Brunch: 10:00am - 2:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Chris Kobayashi
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Contact: Shandi Kobayashi 8052378084x
A word from Artisan
From its inviting corner location at 12th and Pine streets in charming downtown Paso Robles, Artisan captures the essence of the Paso Robles wine country on every plate. Showcasing locally grown produce and handcrafted foods, Executive Chef Chris Kobayashi finds much of the inspiration for his dishes through regular trips to the farmer’s market; he combines regional American flavors in new and innovative ways. Artisan’s menu features local and organic produce, and proteins that are wild caught or sustainably farmed with no growth hormones or antibiotics. Chef Kobayashi’s insistence on freshness and quality complements his style which allows each ingredient to shine, but not overwhelm. Designed to complement its contemporary American cuisine, Artisan’s wine list offers a balanced selection of varietals that includes many wines from California regions in small or limited distribution. The staff of Artisan kindly look forward to serving you in the near future.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Artisan - Best Restaurants in Paso Robles ›
Artisan reviews from OpenTable diners
139 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (104)notable wine list (64)special occasion (58)neighborhood gem (49)romantic (30)hot spot (29)good for groups (21)great for lunch (20)great for brunch (18)great for outdoor dining (18)vibrant bar scene (16)late-night find (5)kid-friendly (5)scenic view (2)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/25/2014VERY GOOD AND FRESH FOOD - it was so good you need to follow up till dessertSpecial Features:
- Enjoyed the ExperiencebirchbearsDined on 8/25/2014Artisans is a great place for foodies or if you are bored with the usual fare and are looking for delicious and unusual dinner. The chef creates wonderful combinations to delight the the palate. Nice small plate menu and entrees both. Everything very fresh, locally grown and/or organic. We love the experience of trying new things... even better in a nicely appointed comfortable casual setting with top notch service.Special Features:
- Worth a detourAliceVIPDined on 8/23/2014Artisan is my husband and my favorite restaurant. We stumbled across it via Yelp, spent our honeymoon in Paso Robles so we could eat at Artisan for three nights in a row, and now schedule meals there when we go anywhere south (we live near San Francisco) or west (we arranged our recent drive home from Santa Fe to include lunch at Artisan). I love their food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Popular Paso Robles restaurantJanniePDined on 8/19/2014Vibrant and popular, Artisan is definitely the place to be in Paso Robles. Whilst the large plates didn't tempt us they are quite happy for people to order a number of small plates to share, which most people seemed to be doing. Interesting combinations, though some descriptions needed explanations, e.g. Pigs wings, were actually ribs. Interesting flavours and salads particularly good. Service was friendly and efficient. Lunch time menu looked interesting and a slightly less expensive than dinner options. Offered interesting wine flights as well as a good selection if wines and craft beers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic RestaurantSageOne63Dined on 8/18/2014We especially loved having so many wonderfully creative appetizers and small plates from which to choose. Our server Kelda was incredibly helpful and personable in making our choices in food and wine. Would love to return sometime!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing!!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/18/2014We have visiting the Artisan for dinner during our past three visits to the Paso area. The ambiance was great and the food was wonderful..consistently so. This time the location changed (we didn't like as well) and the menu didn't have anything close to what we had seen and liked before. The food preparation of the previous Artisan was beyond reproach; this time not so great. It seems that the restaurant has been purchased by a new owner who has taken it to an entirely different direction. In the past, we have told friends that the Artisan was one of the best restaurants where we have dined. Now we wouldn't recommend it to anyone and we will not go back
- Food that tastes like food!orangic4meDined on 8/16/2014Dining at Artisan was a sublime experience. For the first time, I can say I ate food which tasted like food. The organic vegetables were so fresh and delicious. Each bite was a joy that I wish would last forever. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- Imaginative and Fresh MenuAdamDined on 8/12/2014Interesting menu list and all food was well executed. Showcasing locally sourced fresh produce. Great experience all round.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Highly recommendOpenSesameDined on 8/10/2014My husband and I were visiting Paso Robles from SoCal, and heard about Artisan from one of the knowledgable employees at Justin Winery. So glad we took her advice! The relaxed, casual atmosphere, together with delicious food plates, and sophisticated wines made for a memorable evening. Service was tops, and happy to give out recipes, too. Love the philosophy of eating fresh seasonal and local, and they do it so well here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not that impressed...savagejimVIPDined on 8/7/2014For all the hype around this place, I would have expected a lot more. Service was really slow, waiters consistently brought food to the wrong tables. Wine list was pretentious and snobby. Food was pretty good, I had the Boar Tenderloin, which was served medium rare. When I asked the server whether it is OK to eat pork not fully cooked (it is if from reputable source) she gave me the deer in the headlights look. Over priced and snobby in my humble opinion...
- Highlight in Paso RoblesPotentialDined on 8/7/2014This appears to be the top restaurant in a town that is trying to become the Napa of Central California, but isn't much succeeding. Stores shut at 5; lots of empty storefronts, etc. But Artisan was lively and clearly attempting to be innovative and au courant. A solid meal. Recommended.Special Features:
- Consistently greatlilanaVIPDined on 8/2/2014This was our third visit to Artisan….this time we brought friends. Service was outstanding and so was the food. Our San Francisco friends were very impressed at finding this gem in Paso Robles……I think they have a new-found respect for Paso Robles and Artisan can take some of the responsibility for that. We've also recommended Artisan to many other of our other friends who have also loved it. Thanks, Artisan!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A little gemChristiKayDined on 8/2/2014A friend recommended Artisan and we were so glad we went. There's a separate room for the bar, which was very inviting, and the dining room was very chic with a high ceiling and really cool decor. There's a wall separating the tables from the kitchen and the wall is covered with random windows, sort of shabby chic, which was a nice touch. The ambiance was not stuffy and our server was perfect. The food was delicious, fresh, and beautifully presented. Three of us shared the stuffed peppers, beet salad, cauliflower dish, and the cheese fondue, which was to die for. Paired with a nice wine, great service, and reasonable prices, this evening was a total winner for us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 5 Stars for "Artisan"WaltonOrlandocambriaDined on 8/2/2014A stellar dining experience in downtown Paso Robles' wine country. A "must do" in dining destinations. A busy Saturday evening and no disappointments a feast for the senses!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- philawedVIPDined on 7/31/2014We stuck with small plates. They actually were not small at all and we were stuffed with five between us. Each was excellent in its own way, featuring interesting combinations of flavors, imaginative presentations, and simply great taste. We asked about several dishes and ingredients and received gracious and full answers direct from the kitchen, maitre d and wait staff. It was our second visit. At our first we had full dinners and the chef even sent us the recipe for his spectacular rabbit ragout (which we made). We recommend Artisan without reservation.Special Features:
- Wood-fired pizza was great!tq525VIPDined on 7/31/2014Very nice restaurant for lunch on the way to Southern CA. The wood-fired pizza was very delicious and one of the best we tasted recently. All ingredients are fresh and local. Service is great, too!Special Features:
- Amazing DinnerPhanson610Dined on 7/30/2014Probably the best meal I've had in years. Fantastic on all levels... Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, but that's itGergoeDined on 7/29/2014Good food and nice looking restaurant. The waiters where not very professional and sometimes even akward. The quality of the food compensated the bad service, however it was a overpriced.Special Features:
- Worth a special trip!ScottDined on 7/28/2014Excellent food with dazzling, delicious preparation. The boar (which I'd never tasted before) was great, as was the cauliflower.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PuddinPuddinDined on 7/28/2014Everyone we asked said that Artisan was the place to eat in Paso Robles....a lot of hype and not very good food.
- Best food in the regionPickyeaterDined on 7/27/2014Nobody cares as much as this chef. Superb service. Wish there were more like it in PR.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GaryGDined on 7/27/2014Food is consistently very good. The wine list is outstanding. We buy wine buy the glass and always find them fresh and outstanding. The menu is always interesting and changes every time we have been there. This is one of our favorites when visiting Paso Robles. We would recommend this restaurant to our friends who might be traveling to Paso Robles.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We loved it! Thank you!LoveToWineAndDineVIPDined on 7/25/2014Artisan was the first restaurant for us on our first trip to Paso Robles! We had a wonderful time! Thank you!Special Features:
- One of the Best Restaurants EverdinnerdinerDined on 7/24/2014Artisan was a spectacular find and experience for my friends and I. I rate Chris Kobayashi as one of the best chefs in California. The entire experience, from custom cocktails to the extensive wine list, small dishes, entrees, ambience, service, and the subtle, tasteful interior of the restaiant was nothing short of spectacular! Who would have guessed that a gin and tonic with mulled arugula would open up an entire world of new ideas for a standard cocktail? Fantastic! Every dish surprised, amazed, and was excellent, creative, different; never at the cost of being novel for novelties sake. The butterscotch pudding under a salty caramel crust ended a night of dining that my guests and I will never forget. I can't wait to get back to Artisan!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed.Foodie17Dined on 7/19/2014I've been before at the old location and loved everything. Brought some friends to the new location and...it was ok but not great. After my last experience, I was disappointed.Special Features:
- Food was excellent.JohnGaultDined on 7/12/2014If you have a choice and Nicole is the bartender, sit at the bar and have dinner. She provides excellent service and makes a great drink.Special Features:
- Paso No GoBulldogDined on 7/11/2014Wine selection was poor and wait service was not interested in out party after we declined to select a wine from the poor list. Food was good but a limited variety of healthy choices. Won't be going back which is a shame. Nice location and decor. Needs better management of selection and service.
- Food was fantastic....as usual!MaggieDined on 7/11/2014Had not dined at Artisan in a year and was a bit worried when I saw the new location. The decor was totally different from the original location. But, the menu was amazing and all the dishes we sampled were fantastic. Chef has not lost his touch even though he went with a new design. Adored the brioche mushroom appetizer - decadent! The by-the-glass wine list was a bit smaller than I recalled it being in the past. But, found a good glass of wine to have with dinner. Every time I am in Paso Robles I visit Artisan and am looking forward to going back next year.Special Features:
- Small town gemfr88Dined on 7/10/2014Artisan is one of a number of culinary treats to be found in the Paso Robles food scene. Our recent lunch there was exceptional and makes us want to return for dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Average mealOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/6/2014Artisan was highly recommended to us by several friends. We had a good meal there. The food was tasty and well-prepared. But unfortunately it just did not live up to the hype. We were satisfied with our meal, but not blown away. So while we would recommend the food, we would also caution visitors not to have unrealistically high expectations. We did have one complaint--- the meal felt rushed. We barely finished one course and another was on the table. We had flights of wine that were served before the previous flight was finished.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/5/2014We decided to celebrate our anniversary at the restaurant, Artisan. Artisan is located right in downtown, scenic Paso Robles in a prime location and very easy to get to. When we arrived, we were seated at exactly our reservation time. The ambience is very romantic- a very cozy setting with just the right amount of energy. Our server was very nice and attentive. Since they use food from local farms, everything tasted fresh. The poutine with beef cheek,was full of flavor, as well as the quail- a must for appetizers! The boar tenderloin entree was incredible, and I also recommend the sea bass for lighter fare. The wine selection is top notch though I also recommend the French Linen cocktail! Artisan is a MUST if you're in Paso Robles!Special Features:
- its a winnersdp90404VIPDined on 7/2/2014We rreally enjoyed our first time at artisan. We were seated in a comfy booth. The mushroom toast o brioche was rich and yummy. Seabass was also a winner. Wine list is extensive but not overwhelming and reasonable. There are a good number of wines by the glass available as well.Special Features:
- DelightfulLucasDined on 6/29/2014Friendly, professional, and satisfying. Everything was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Creative menu, great locationNancyTXDined on 6/26/2014Artisan is on the corner of Pine & 12th, right on the city square. The small patio out front on the sidewalk has only enough room for about 5 tables of 2, but if you can snag one, it's a great place for dinner. Inside was also packed with a very lively crowd. The dishes were creative and tasty, although the sea bass was overshadowed by large chunks of Andouille sausage. The flatiron with mushrooms was very yummy. Wines by the glass were mainly local and reasonably priced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/22/2014Wine prices are reasonable (had 2 reds). We had 4 small plates: 1) pickled beets with chevre 2) Bar-B-Q pig wings 3) abalone/corn/avocado gazpacho 4) charred eggplant with burrata and 1 entree, a special: beef cheeks on polenta. We finished with blueberry crisp!Special Features:
- Small Plates RuleDeenamargDined on 6/21/2014Artisan was the perfect cap to day of wine tasting. We ordered all small plates. The pizza was wonderful- crust was soft and crispy at the same time. Beet salad was refreshing. The space is airy and the service was outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Enjoyable!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/21/2014Artisan is a wonderful addition to Paso Robles. The Cedar Plank Shrimp and Grits was YUMMY! Our server was delightful!!Special Features:
- Upscale, friendlyFoodeatsDined on 6/20/2014Elegant environment. We enjoyed the Friday evening Summer concert in the park while enjoying a delicious meal! Our waitress was very accommodating as our party number increased and they made special seating for us. The waitress gauged out party and let us take time for several servings of cocktails, appetizers and then allowed us to order dinner when ready. She also made sure to accommodate the vegetarian in the group with special suggestions from the chef. Very nice experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LisaDined on 6/19/2014We were celebrating two 60-year old birthdays over a three-day trip to Paso Robles, followed by a stop in Los Olivos and then to Santa Barbara. Our meal at Artisan was wonderful. The Salmon was perfectly cooked in a miraculous green tea and Trumpet mushroom type of au jus. It was absolutely fabulous. The service (Laruen) was spot on and our walk to and from our hotel, Hotel Cheval, was extremely pleasant. A perfect evening with a perfect meal.Special Features:
- A great dining room in Paso RoblesJimKDined on 6/19/2014I have been a customer for a few years and I enjoy dinner at Artisan every time. The chef is creative, the dinners are wonderful and the staff are great. If you're in Paso, don't miss it.Special Features: