843 12th Street
Paso Robles, CA 93446Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.artisanpasorobles.com/
- Phone: 8052378084x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm; Sunday Brunch: 10:00am - 2:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Chris Kobayashi
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Contact: Shandi Kobayashi 8052378084x
A word from Artisan
From its inviting corner location at 12th and Pine streets in charming downtown Paso Robles, Artisan captures the essence of the Paso Robles wine country on every plate. Showcasing locally grown produce and handcrafted foods, Executive Chef Chris Kobayashi finds much of the inspiration for his dishes through regular trips to the farmer’s market; he combines regional American flavors in new and innovative ways. Artisan’s menu features local and organic produce, and proteins that are wild caught or sustainably farmed with no growth hormones or antibiotics. Chef Kobayashi’s insistence on freshness and quality complements his style which allows each ingredient to shine, but not overwhelm. Designed to complement its contemporary American cuisine, Artisan’s wine list offers a balanced selection of varietals that includes many wines from California regions in small or limited distribution. The staff of Artisan kindly look forward to serving you in the near future.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Artisan - Best Restaurants in Paso Robles ›
Artisan reviews from OpenTable diners
137 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (107)notable wine list (56)special occasion (53)neighborhood gem (51)hot spot (29)good for groups (24)romantic (23)great for outdoor dining (21)great for lunch (17)great for brunch (17)vibrant bar scene (14)kid-friendly (4)late-night find (4)scenic view (3)Show More
- Food was Outstanding.beardinerDined on 9/26/2014Excellent meal. I asked for and received a quieter table for my wife's birthday. Service was very good with good recommendations from the menu.Special Features:
- Anniversary ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/24/2014Tables too close together. Very noisy. Slow service. Expected reasonably quiet dining for the cost.Special Features:
- Patio DinnerOliveOilDined on 9/22/2014We had a great dinner on the patio across from the park. Our dinner was tasty and good service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, especially dessert!eatswellDined on 9/20/2014The food was delicious, though you must be a carnivore to really appreciate it. Not a single vegetarian entree/large plate anywhere on the menu. Pizza and salads were unique. Each dish had a little something special about it. Tasty, interesting combinations that weren't too weird. Desserts were out of this world!Special Features:
- Don't try to change menu choices.localandfussyDined on 9/20/2014Food good but server unable to alter menu choices to accommodate allergies & choices. Service good but a bit on the slow side. Would like more local wine choice by the glass. I'd like to see all of our upper end restaurants allow free corkage on one bottle from a local winery.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the Best Restaurants in PasoJoAnnDined on 9/17/2014Artisan was a wonderful experience starting with our server Kelda who was fantastic. Professional, friendly and very wine savvy. We had the steak and twice baked potatoes. Meat was done to perfection and the potatoes, to die for. If I could get the recipe, I would be one happy lady. I would highly recommend this restaurant to anyone who enjoys find food and wine.Special Features:
- A Paso Robles Must DonydinerVIPDined on 9/17/2014Before our trip to Paso Robles, we'd asked some friends about restaurants, this one was on all of their lists and they were right. The service was perfect, always there to help and offer assistance without being intrusive. The food is amazing. You can be experimental (sliced boar) but even if you go with a familiar dish it's just different enough that the chef's has added his own style but not so off wall as to disappoint. For example, the scallops came in a broth with mussels, clams, shrimp and a light noodle but didn't take away from the perfection of the scallops. Go, go, go!Special Features:
- LOVE THIS PLACE!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/16/2014We loved the food. We were a party of 6 and had gone to Artisan for my husbands 50th birthday. The food was delicious, waitress knowledgeable and attentive. We also changed times and # in our party twice with no problems. Highly recommend!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingelaineVIPDined on 9/14/2014We traveled up to Paso Robles to attend a concert with some friends and had been told about Artisan, so we tried it. OMG! It was FABULOUS! We ordered several dishes and shared them, kind of like tapas. Everything was extremely well prepared and flavored. What a find.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Between lunch and dinner?wsantDined on 9/14/2014We love this restaurant! We have had many meals at lunch and dinner before. This weekend we were out wine tasting and missed lunch. We tried to find a restaurant who was serving food at around 3:30. No other restaurant was serving food at time :(. Artisan was the only one who was serving food that time. Granted it was a limited menu but we were able to find something for an early dinner. I would suggest Artisan for any meal (lunch and lunch). If you are between lunch and dinner and need a meal remember Artisan!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/13/2014A "go to" restaurant in Paso Robles. Imaginative cooking and fine service. Exudes a festive spirit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FABULOUS!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/13/2014FABULOUS!! We were a party of 4 and everything was beyond great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingklgjwgDined on 9/13/2014Had to send 2 dinners back and came back essentially the same as first. Both fish and beef were under done and cold.
- Great Food, drinks and serviceStoweskiDined on 9/9/2014This is a great restaurant on the square in Paso Robles. We had a variety of 5 small plates that we shared and all were terrific. We also had a couple unique cocktails which were dangerous, because they are so good you could drink a few too many before you knew it. The service is pleasant and quick, we were there on a Tuesday evening so it was quiet and relaxing. We sat in the bar where we suspect it could be hopping on a weekend night. Love the place, you will tooSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable DinnerSarah5Dined on 9/6/2014This was my second time dining, the first was in their previous location. Overall our dinner was very enjoyable. I had a delicious tequila cocktail. Good wine list and decent beer selection. The food was either great or ok depending on the items. Best was the special seafood soup which was outstanding. The salmon tartar was a bit lacking in flavor and nothing exciting. Our beet salad was fresh with a nice mix of components. The mushroom pizza was good but not outstanding. Dessert was the churros which were light as air and can't be missed. Our server (can't remember her name) was lovely - friendly, knowledgeable and checked in with us regularly without being pushy. She even brought me a taste of their port with dessert!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PAnne28Dined on 9/6/2014Very creative menu with wonderful fresh ingredients. Would definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OkayGlobetrotterVIPDined on 9/5/2014Wouldn't return...It was okay.. Went because of all the good reviews. The four if us felt it was just okay.. Service was great.Special Features:
- MusicMomDined on 9/5/2014Refreshing, very Artsy environment, Great Food and Service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not so special anymoreOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/4/2014The food was pretty good, but at the old location it was better, as well as the service was better. The old location seemed more special and upscale; a place to go for a very nice dining experience. The new location is very casual (shorts and T-shirts) and has somewhat of a cafeteria feel.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/25/2014VERY GOOD AND FRESH FOOD - it was so good you need to follow up till dessertSpecial Features:
- Enjoyed the ExperiencebirchbearsDined on 8/25/2014Artisans is a great place for foodies or if you are bored with the usual fare and are looking for delicious and unusual dinner. The chef creates wonderful combinations to delight the the palate. Nice small plate menu and entrees both. Everything very fresh, locally grown and/or organic. We love the experience of trying new things... even better in a nicely appointed comfortable casual setting with top notch service.Special Features:
- Great for sharingadubDined on 8/23/2014My wife and I went with a friend while doing some wine tasting in the area. The food was delicious! They had many small plate options and were happy to let us share. The waitress even worked out our order so that it would come in three courses, soup, then small plates, then cheese fondue, allowing us to enjoy each course. We were able to linger and enjoy. Wonderful experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth a detourAliceVIPDined on 8/23/2014Artisan is my husband and my favorite restaurant. We stumbled across it via Yelp, spent our honeymoon in Paso Robles so we could eat at Artisan for three nights in a row, and now schedule meals there when we go anywhere south (we live near San Francisco) or west (we arranged our recent drive home from Santa Fe to include lunch at Artisan). I love their food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Popular Paso Robles restaurantJanniePDined on 8/19/2014Vibrant and popular, Artisan is definitely the place to be in Paso Robles. Whilst the large plates didn't tempt us they are quite happy for people to order a number of small plates to share, which most people seemed to be doing. Interesting combinations, though some descriptions needed explanations, e.g. Pigs wings, were actually ribs. Interesting flavours and salads particularly good. Service was friendly and efficient. Lunch time menu looked interesting and a slightly less expensive than dinner options. Offered interesting wine flights as well as a good selection if wines and craft beers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic RestaurantSageOne63Dined on 8/18/2014We especially loved having so many wonderfully creative appetizers and small plates from which to choose. Our server Kelda was incredibly helpful and personable in making our choices in food and wine. Would love to return sometime!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing!!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/18/2014We have visiting the Artisan for dinner during our past three visits to the Paso area. The ambiance was great and the food was wonderful..consistently so. This time the location changed (we didn't like as well) and the menu didn't have anything close to what we had seen and liked before. The food preparation of the previous Artisan was beyond reproach; this time not so great. It seems that the restaurant has been purchased by a new owner who has taken it to an entirely different direction. In the past, we have told friends that the Artisan was one of the best restaurants where we have dined. Now we wouldn't recommend it to anyone and we will not go back
- Food that tastes like food!orangic4meDined on 8/16/2014Dining at Artisan was a sublime experience. For the first time, I can say I ate food which tasted like food. The organic vegetables were so fresh and delicious. Each bite was a joy that I wish would last forever. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- Imaginative and Fresh MenuAdamDined on 8/12/2014Interesting menu list and all food was well executed. Showcasing locally sourced fresh produce. Great experience all round.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Highly recommendOpenSesameDined on 8/10/2014My husband and I were visiting Paso Robles from SoCal, and heard about Artisan from one of the knowledgable employees at Justin Winery. So glad we took her advice! The relaxed, casual atmosphere, together with delicious food plates, and sophisticated wines made for a memorable evening. Service was tops, and happy to give out recipes, too. Love the philosophy of eating fresh seasonal and local, and they do it so well here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not that impressed...savagejimVIPDined on 8/7/2014For all the hype around this place, I would have expected a lot more. Service was really slow, waiters consistently brought food to the wrong tables. Wine list was pretentious and snobby. Food was pretty good, I had the Boar Tenderloin, which was served medium rare. When I asked the server whether it is OK to eat pork not fully cooked (it is if from reputable source) she gave me the deer in the headlights look. Over priced and snobby in my humble opinion...
- Highlight in Paso RoblesPotentialDined on 8/7/2014This appears to be the top restaurant in a town that is trying to become the Napa of Central California, but isn't much succeeding. Stores shut at 5; lots of empty storefronts, etc. But Artisan was lively and clearly attempting to be innovative and au courant. A solid meal. Recommended.Special Features:
- Consistently greatlilanaVIPDined on 8/2/2014This was our third visit to Artisan….this time we brought friends. Service was outstanding and so was the food. Our San Francisco friends were very impressed at finding this gem in Paso Robles……I think they have a new-found respect for Paso Robles and Artisan can take some of the responsibility for that. We've also recommended Artisan to many other of our other friends who have also loved it. Thanks, Artisan!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A little gemChristiKayDined on 8/2/2014A friend recommended Artisan and we were so glad we went. There's a separate room for the bar, which was very inviting, and the dining room was very chic with a high ceiling and really cool decor. There's a wall separating the tables from the kitchen and the wall is covered with random windows, sort of shabby chic, which was a nice touch. The ambiance was not stuffy and our server was perfect. The food was delicious, fresh, and beautifully presented. Three of us shared the stuffed peppers, beet salad, cauliflower dish, and the cheese fondue, which was to die for. Paired with a nice wine, great service, and reasonable prices, this evening was a total winner for us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 5 Stars for "Artisan"WaltonOrlandocambriaDined on 8/2/2014A stellar dining experience in downtown Paso Robles' wine country. A "must do" in dining destinations. A busy Saturday evening and no disappointments a feast for the senses!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- philawedVIPDined on 7/31/2014We stuck with small plates. They actually were not small at all and we were stuffed with five between us. Each was excellent in its own way, featuring interesting combinations of flavors, imaginative presentations, and simply great taste. We asked about several dishes and ingredients and received gracious and full answers direct from the kitchen, maitre d and wait staff. It was our second visit. At our first we had full dinners and the chef even sent us the recipe for his spectacular rabbit ragout (which we made). We recommend Artisan without reservation.Special Features:
- Wood-fired pizza was great!tq525VIPDined on 7/31/2014Very nice restaurant for lunch on the way to Southern CA. The wood-fired pizza was very delicious and one of the best we tasted recently. All ingredients are fresh and local. Service is great, too!Special Features:
- Amazing DinnerPhanson610Dined on 7/30/2014Probably the best meal I've had in years. Fantastic on all levels... Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, but that's itGergoeDined on 7/29/2014Good food and nice looking restaurant. The waiters where not very professional and sometimes even akward. The quality of the food compensated the bad service, however it was a overpriced.Special Features:
- Worth a special trip!ScottDined on 7/28/2014Excellent food with dazzling, delicious preparation. The boar (which I'd never tasted before) was great, as was the cauliflower.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PuddinPuddinDined on 7/28/2014Everyone we asked said that Artisan was the place to eat in Paso Robles....a lot of hype and not very good food.