843 12th Street
Paso Robles, CA 93446Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.artisanpasorobles.com/
- Phone: (805) 237-8084
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm; Sunday Brunch: 10:00am - 2:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Chris Kobayashi
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Contact: Shandi Kobayashi 8052378084x
A word from Artisan
From its inviting corner location at 12th and Pine streets in charming downtown Paso Robles, Artisan captures the essence of the Paso Robles wine country on every plate. Showcasing locally grown produce and handcrafted foods, Executive Chef Chris Kobayashi finds much of the inspiration for his dishes through regular trips to the farmer’s market; he combines regional American flavors in new and innovative ways. Artisan’s menu features local and organic produce, and proteins that are wild caught or sustainably farmed with no growth hormones or antibiotics. Chef Kobayashi’s insistence on freshness and quality complements his style which allows each ingredient to shine, but not overwhelm. Designed to complement its contemporary American cuisine, Artisan’s wine list offers a balanced selection of varietals that includes many wines from California regions in small or limited distribution. The staff of Artisan kindly look forward to serving you in the near future.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
Artisan - Best Restaurants in Paso Robles ›
Artisan reviews from OpenTable diners
145 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (117)neighborhood gem (59)notable wine list (58)special occasion (51)good for groups (31)hot spot (31)romantic (22)great for lunch (22)vibrant bar scene (21)great for outdoor dining (21)great for brunch (14)late-night find (5)scenic view (3)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- its a winnersdp90404VIPDined on 7/2/2014We rreally enjoyed our first time at artisan. We were seated in a comfy booth. The mushroom toast o brioche was rich and yummy. Seabass was also a winner. Wine list is extensive but not overwhelming and reasonable. There are a good number of wines by the glass available as well.Special Features:
- DelightfulLucasDined on 6/29/2014Friendly, professional, and satisfying. Everything was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Creative menu, great locationNancyTXDined on 6/26/2014Artisan is on the corner of Pine & 12th, right on the city square. The small patio out front on the sidewalk has only enough room for about 5 tables of 2, but if you can snag one, it's a great place for dinner. Inside was also packed with a very lively crowd. The dishes were creative and tasty, although the sea bass was overshadowed by large chunks of Andouille sausage. The flatiron with mushrooms was very yummy. Wines by the glass were mainly local and reasonably priced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/22/2014Wine prices are reasonable (had 2 reds). We had 4 small plates: 1) pickled beets with chevre 2) Bar-B-Q pig wings 3) abalone/corn/avocado gazpacho 4) charred eggplant with burrata and 1 entree, a special: beef cheeks on polenta. We finished with blueberry crisp!Special Features:
- Small Plates RuleDeenamargDined on 6/21/2014Artisan was the perfect cap to day of wine tasting. We ordered all small plates. The pizza was wonderful- crust was soft and crispy at the same time. Beet salad was refreshing. The space is airy and the service was outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Enjoyable!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/21/2014Artisan is a wonderful addition to Paso Robles. The Cedar Plank Shrimp and Grits was YUMMY! Our server was delightful!!Special Features:
- Upscale, friendlyFoodeatsDined on 6/20/2014Elegant environment. We enjoyed the Friday evening Summer concert in the park while enjoying a delicious meal! Our waitress was very accommodating as our party number increased and they made special seating for us. The waitress gauged out party and let us take time for several servings of cocktails, appetizers and then allowed us to order dinner when ready. She also made sure to accommodate the vegetarian in the group with special suggestions from the chef. Very nice experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LisaDined on 6/19/2014We were celebrating two 60-year old birthdays over a three-day trip to Paso Robles, followed by a stop in Los Olivos and then to Santa Barbara. Our meal at Artisan was wonderful. The Salmon was perfectly cooked in a miraculous green tea and Trumpet mushroom type of au jus. It was absolutely fabulous. The service (Laruen) was spot on and our walk to and from our hotel, Hotel Cheval, was extremely pleasant. A perfect evening with a perfect meal.Special Features:
- A great dining room in Paso RoblesJimKDined on 6/19/2014I have been a customer for a few years and I enjoy dinner at Artisan every time. The chef is creative, the dinners are wonderful and the staff are great. If you're in Paso, don't miss it.Special Features:
- Terrific MealLPfavoritesDined on 6/15/2014I've had two wonderful meals at this restaurant. Also love the interior design with blends modern elemtnat with natural materials.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Father's Day BrunchJackieBDined on 6/15/2014Had a leisurely brunch for 4 on Father's Day. Ordered mostly small plates, goat cheese & ale fondue, golden pacific oysters, breakfast breads (Including housemade beignets and a delicious concoction version of monkey bread), bacon tater tots, pate plate and others. All excellent, especially the pate de compagne. Chef Ben also sent over a little specialty, a poutine made with popcorn gravy, fresh white corn kernels, dotted with Rinconada Dairy fresh goat cheese and garnished with corn sprouts (that was a new one, and very interesting). Dessert was housemade sorbets and ice cream. The strawberry and nectarine sorbets were spectacular. And service, too, was attentive but not intrusive. Terrific meal. We just love this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ArtisanMcgeaghVIPDined on 6/9/2014Inventive, diverse new American food. Fun cocktails, mushroom brioche toast was the standout course.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 6/8/2014I've eaten there several times in the last several months and have found that how they view their customers is substandard depending on your status, looks, ethnicity, etc. very disappointing because I have previously recommended Artisan to others but will likely not do so moving forward.Special Features:
- Who knew cauliflower was so good?!AuvevyDined on 6/7/2014Excellent dinner! I was in a party of 4 and we decided to order several dishes and split them. The abalone and cauliflower dishes were the best! The mushroom toast can't be missed. The wild boar was excellent. The asparagus were good, but I would get two orders of cauliflower instead. No matter how full you are you need to end with the strawberry shortcake and basil ice cream, so simple yet so good!! My husband got the blueberry crisp that is good, not great. It did stain his teeth a crazy deep blue so if you are on a date I would skip it :)Special Features:
- my faulttowiDined on 6/7/2014I've loved Artisan in the past. This was my first visit to their new location and I had high hopes - BUT I showed up early (5pm) and had the lunch menu. So, the changes I saw (low energy, few people, quiet... etc, etc) are my fault. BUT - I don't think the new space can live up to their old one. It is a very large space, divided up, way too much gray gray gray and the energy will be divided by 2 in the "L" shape. And that very large, windowless dining room? More gray again?! Add in the long trek through drab institutional hallways to the drab institutional lavatory... well, I'm just sorry to see it. I wish these guys well, but I think they forgot to pack the charm, excitement and energy of the old place. still...mmmm... the food!Special Features:
- WoW!OpinionatedVIPDined on 6/6/2014Artisan never fails to live up to an excellent dining experience.Special Features:
- Winner of the weekendgardenpeopleVIPDined on 6/5/2014Four or us enjoyed a terrific weekend of wine adventure in Paso Robles- and Artisan provided the dining highlight. Interesting dishes with generous entree portions. We are still talking about the basil ice cream with the strawberry shortcake!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great dinnercayucosdinerDined on 6/2/2014Another great dinner at Artisan - they do an excellent job. I had scallops with potato risotto, peas and fiddlenecks with oysters to start and strawberry rhubarb shortcake for dessert - everything was delicious. Artisan is one of my favorites in the SLO area, worth the drive.Special Features:
- Great PlaceOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 6/1/2014Had the Anchovies appetizer very good. Did not care for the Salmon tartare it had too much lemon I could not even taste the salmon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful findsassyreinVIPDined on 6/1/2014Food was clever and well done. Service was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pet-friendly!TheHorizontalPoetDined on 5/31/2014Besides having terrific food and great service, the staff let us eat on the patio with our little dog. They were very attentive to us and to him, bringing him water to drink. We look forward to the next time we can visist.Special Features:
- Delicious!!FKPWDined on 5/29/2014Artisan is fabulous! The food is outstanding - the best Oysters Rockefeller ever! Everything was simply wonderful, the scallops, salmon, boar, the desserts - exquisite! The service was excellent - very knowledgeable and personable. Highly recommend!Special Features:
- Dog Friendly outside patioOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/29/2014Loved that the dog could sit with us on the outdoor patio. Scallops were amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth a special tripOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/26/2014This was our second trip to Artisan. The first was about a year ago and we stopped in for brunch after reading a rave review. When we decided to head north to Paso for a weekend of wine tasting to celebrate our anniversary, we knew exactly where we wanted to have dinner. The new location on the square is wonderful and the actual space is very tasteful. We had a dinner of small plates and great wine. Definately one of our favorite spots!Special Features:
- Great local restaurantlightningrobDined on 5/24/2014Artisan is a terrific restaurant in downtown Paso Robles. My wife and I came here for our anniversary dinner based on all the great reviews, and were not disappointed. We both loved our dishes. I had the lamb paella special which was tender and succulent. My wife had the mushroom pizza. Our server was very attentive and recommended a good local Pinot to accompany our dishes. If we had one complaint, it was a bit louder than we expected for a place labeled "romaintic" by other reviewers. But we would absolutely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best in Paso, great anywhere.nodoubtDined on 5/24/2014It was our anniversary, so my wife and I wanted to celebrate by going to the best restaurant in San Luis Obispo County, The Artisan. We were there only a few weeks ago, so normally we might have tried one of the other really good restaurants in the area, but the Artisan is so great, we had to do it. My wife didn't want to order something as mundane as chicken, but she did because she loved what it was served with, and that's really what's so wonderful, is the flavors that the main item is served with. I had the boar, and it wasn't just that the boar was so wonderful, it was how fantastic everything was that came with it. One flavor doesn't end and another begin, they work together. We had an incredible dinner, and a great evening.Special Features:
- Seriously GoodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/24/2014Party of four. seated on time by very nice Paso team. Excellent service. Knowledgable, attentive staff. We loved the fondue, charcuterie and cheese plats. My strip stack was perfectly prepared as was the roast boar with carrot risotto. Highly recommended, best food in Paso.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CostDisappointedDined on 5/23/2014This was my first visit to the new location. Eleven dollars for half a beer isn't within my budget. The small pizza wasn't anything special at the price. The dessert menu was limited. We ended up at McPhee's for dessert and Molly Pitcher for beer. I won't be back.Special Features:
- Great Food in Heart of Paso RoblesKlrduksDined on 5/23/2014Had a great lunch here with family. They specialize in local organic food with a great wine list and full bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatMickDined on 5/19/2014Best food in the area by far..The soup I had was the best ever.My main was the boar.Even my wife who avoids red meats was impressed.Our server was very helpful.Food came out at just the right time.I would rate the food as inventive but not so abstract as to frighten the timid.I went for the Rhone style flight which was best with the boar for me.The wines are fairly priced and most are local. I find their selections helpful in finding new wineries to visit.We come through Paso very often and always eat here.It is very advisable to make reservations as far in advance as it can be filled.Any day will be crowded as the locals are often the largest group .In short I admire the food service and presentation.Special Features:
- Brother's bartenderLuv2dineDined on 5/19/2014Went to check out the place. It was great! service was prompt, recommendations were appreciated, and food delicious. Next time we'll go and dine at the bar when bro Tom is working.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for brunch, lunch or dinnerMadMaddyVIPDined on 5/18/2014Chilaquiles are outstanding, their toast with mushrooms, to die for. Everything is mouth watering. I keep going back all the time.Special Features:
- Great food and dining experienceHarlessDined on 5/16/2014Wife and I truly enjoyed our first date night out in years while Grandma watched the kid. I wanted it to be special and I was not disappointed in the staff, food or overall experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Imaginative locavore diningOaklandJimDined on 5/15/2014My wife, a Paso Robles native, brought me here on May 15 for a memorable experience. She had 6 oysters locally sourced and very fresh. We both raved about the abalone/avocado gazpacho and would make a special trip back for that dish alone. Main entree was a lamb over pasta, again from a small local farm and totally delicious! The dessert, enough for sharing, was a strawberry shortcake with a dollop of basic ice cream. Best strawberries I've had this year. Only the coffee was disappointing. The excellent server said the restaurant had just changed brands, but it seems like another change is in order. We had eaten the night before at Il Cortile, and this was just as good.Special Features:
- FrancetteDined on 5/15/2014We are never disappointed in the dining experience at Artisan. It is our go-to spot when driving South.Special Features:
- Artisan is the best hands downFoodieFreakDined on 5/13/2014The only reason to try anything else in downtown Paso is if Artisan is booked full for the night. The menu changes frequently to keep up with food and season changes, always surprising me. I would sell my first born for a lifetime of Artisan meals.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentKCFoodiesVIPDined on 5/12/2014We had an enjoyable experience at Artisan. We chose this restaurant based on reviews and posted menus. The food was excellent and the service was outstanding by Allison who was very knowledgeable and pleasant. After dinner we decided to go into the bar for an after dinner drink and the drinks were pleased by the service and attentiveness in the bar also.Special Features:
- DisappointingMitchDined on 5/11/2014Given the prices of the meals I was expecting great things but overall had a very mediocre experience. Certainly not worth the price and not sure that I would return even if the prices were more reasonable. Our server seemed awkward and the food was unimpressive.
- Good but not greatRedAppleDined on 5/11/2014Arrive for Mother's Day Brunch and was promptly seated. Moderately busy. Timing of drink order, food order, drink arrival, food arrival was off and did not synch. We ordered 2 Bloody Mary's, one spicy, one not. When they arrived, they did not know which was which and had to take them back to the bar to check. 2 of the three entrees arrived and waited another 3-5 minutes for the 3rd entree. Dessert wait time was longer than necessary. Overall, food was great, service was slow. Restaurant seemed under staffed. The previous location had something about it that is lacking in the new location. The new location seems stark and not as warm and welcoming.Special Features:
- Great SpotArtisanPasoVIPDined on 5/10/2014Everything was spot-on! Seated on time, very diverse menu options, very good service throughout the meal. Most people had mentioned this as a great spot in Paso - was not disappointed in any way! Will come again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.