275 Old Post Road
Southport, CT 06890Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.artisansouthport.com/
- Phone: (203) 307-4222
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 12:00am; Breakfast: Daily: 7:00am - 10:00am; Brunch: Sunday: 11:30am - 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Frederic Kieffer
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Artisan has two areas of its restaurant, one of which is the Main Dining Room and the other being the Tavern, complete with a wood burning stove and lounge. Artisan also has a private dining room called the Garden Room. This space can accommodate up to 10 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Ashley D. Douglass, Sales Mana 2033074220
- Cross Street: Rennell Drive
- Public Transit: Located within walking distance from the Southport Metro-North train station, right off of Route #1 (Boston Post Road.
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Artisan offers Valet parking for all dining guests. There is an above ground parking lot beside the restaurant patio and there is a large underground parking lot off of Rennell drive in Southport. Guests may also choose to park on the sides of Rennel Drive or walk in from the center of Southport village.
A word from Artisan
Artisan serves New England inspired farm to table cuisine. Located adjacent to the new Delamar Southport hotel, Artisan sets itself apart by offering a menu and an environment that is both refined and relaxed.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Artisan reviews from OpenTable diners
71 reviews since August 1, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (48)special occasion (40)great for outdoor dining (40)romantic (35)neighborhood gem (21)great for lunch (20)good for groups (18)notable wine list (16)great for brunch (15)hot spot (12)vibrant bar scene (10)late-night find (2)scenic view (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Excellent Meal Made for a Special EveningChambewDined on 11/18/2014The cozy booth table was perfect for three of us. Our dinner was creative, interesting and delicious...it was hard to choose from the wonderful options. Our server Olivier was thorough, caring and attentive...it was as if we were having dinner with friends who were happy to see us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this restaurantMichelleVIPDined on 11/2/2014Delicious food, fresh ingredients, creative menu items.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely dining experience at ArtisanOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/1/2014Artisan was a delightful experience. Even though they had 100 reservations, the place was calm, noise level was average and the food and service were both wonderful. Our friends had never been and were duly impressed. It is such a romantic experience. Perfect for a group and for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SuperbMargeeDined on 11/1/2014We have had the pleasure of dining at Artisan twice. Both dinners have been superb. The food is delicious, creative and seasonal. The service is excellent. The ambiance is relaxed and still elegant. I recommend this restaurant to anyone.Special Features:
- it is going down hillCapeMauiVIPDined on 10/26/2014use to love going to Artisan for Sunday brunch and the last 3 times have been huge disappointments. The food is just so so and the service has gone from good to fair to worse! Hope they get their acts together but we won't be back for a while.
- perfectOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/25/2014this was a great restaurant in all respects. food was especially delicious. we would go back here anytime.just perfectSpecial Features:
- All Sizzle, No SteakCTFoodiesDined on 10/24/2014Artisan is a very beautiful restaurant, but the food and the service were disappointing. We entered through a gorgeous patio and entered into the elegant bar area. We were seated in the well-appointed dining room and with all this ambiance we expected a fine dining experience. Unfortunately it never materialized. The first disappointment came when we were informed that the wine we requested was not available. We were a party of four and we ordered appetizers, entrees and desserts. The salads we ordered were bland and tasteless. The hanger steak that one of us ordered was returned because it was tough. The desserts were very good and could have rescued the meal, but the service was poor. Dinner took us over 3 hours.Special Features:
- Gerb007Dined on 10/22/2014Took my girlfriend here for her 30th Birthday, looking for something intimate and romantic. This restaurant fit the bill beautifully! The staff was both knowledgeable and attentive, the food was wonderfully prepared, and I've been exposed to fantastic food the world over. Would definitely suggest to friends and family.Special Features:
- Lackluster FoodAHAADined on 10/17/2014Tried it during restaurant week. Two items we ordered were being sold out and no substitutes were offered, which was disappointing. The food we did get was just okay. Leek soup was very bland and the escargot accompaniments overpowered the snails. The short ribs were more like thinly sliced steak and were tough to cut. The desserts and wine were the highlights of the meal. The only thing that saved the night was our waiter. He was phenomenal! Great attitude and ended up comping us a glass of wine as we waited for more than 30 minutes in between courses for our food. We were perfectly fine paying for it, but it was a nice gesture and appreciated especially as we never complained to him. Would hire him in a second but will not be returning.Special Features:
- A little didappointingFoodiegirlDined on 10/13/2014Second year we went for lunch for restaurant week. Last year was wonderful. This year, not so much. Main dish, in particular (chicken paprikash) bland,Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, average serviceSpillD3P2Dined on 10/12/2014After our first visit to this restaurant, we found that although the ambiance is nice, the food and service are not commensurate with the price of the dishes. We decided to give it another try for Restaurant Week since the meals would be more reasonably priced, and the service was subpar at best - cold and unfriendly. The food was delicious, but again not worth the prices they normally charge.Special Features:
- Great during restaurant weekConnecticutfoodieDined on 10/11/2014We always love Artisan for special occasions, but when we went Saturday it was during Restaurant Week, so not only was it delicious, but a great deal. $30pp for a choice of 4 delicious apps, 4 entrees, and 4 desserts. Everything we had was excellent. I'm not crazy about the cocktail list this season, but otherwise it's one of our favorite restaurants in the area.Special Features:
- ArtisanLornaVIPDined on 9/26/2014My husband i and I always enjoy artisan. We had dinner outside on their lovely patio garden this week ....Very nice outside bar as well . When weather not good we eat in the grill ...the bar is great people watching. They also have a large formal dining room. The grill room is quite attractive.. Very pretty rooms and more elegant than most in this southport area. Servers always warm and helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Third time...Roby22VIPDined on 9/22/2014...was just as good as the first two. Excellent food and service, all the more notable as we have always been there on the late side. But no sense of being rushed and each dish clearly carefully prepared. All complemented by a nice selection of wines by the glass. We're looking for a spot on the calendar for visit number four.Special Features:
- lovely lunch spotvactionmauiDined on 9/19/2014interesting and diverse menu. everything was very fresh and delicious. friendly service and nice casual atmosphereSpecial Features:
- Not a great experienceExperiencedFoodie7VIPDined on 9/4/2014This is the second time we have dined at Artisan. First time was better. This last time the service was poor and they delivered us two nearly raw steaks. We sent them back but it was too late.Special Features:
- funfoodieOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/2/2014I found the food good but overpriced and overall I thought the restaurant was pretentious.Special Features:
- Lovely Sunday BrunchMothermagDined on 8/31/2014What a lovely way to spend Sunday Brunch....we were indoors due to extremely hot/humid weather conditions which was absolutely lovely, quiet, sophisticated.....loved the attentive, not invasive, service. Next time we will try to sit outside which also looked very comfortable and civilized.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as good as beforeCapeMauiVIPDined on 8/31/2014We have always loved Artisan for Sunday brunch but this time it was just off. Food was subpar and service was just ok instead of what we have come to expect from experience. Will be taking a break for a while.
- ExcellentSoCalTrojanDined on 8/27/2014Great outdoor atmosphere and excellent food. Never disappoints!Special Features:
- Great dining ExperiencejackDined on 8/23/2014There were four of us and we all enjoyed the ambiance, good and the service was fantastic. A very coll place to go for dinner. We ate on the outside patio and the atmosphere was great.Special Features:
- Slip sliding awayNYRanger1324Dined on 8/17/2014Sorry to say, but it's just not there anymore. When it opened, a reservation to Artisan was gold. Whether outside, in the the pub, or in the white table cloth dinning room, it was a great pick. The food was differentiated. A few years later, it's become average at best. The menu has not changed and after all is said and done... it's pretty much just meat and fish. Our server, who has been there since day one, is sweet, informative, but forgetful to a fault. Really forgetful. The meal, altogether, was a C. I tested my views on other local diners. Without expressing my views. The consensus was unanimous. Too much $$$ for an average meal. The cocktail scene outside remains vibrant and fun. But it's only available in the warm months.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very very goodMTCTDined on 8/15/2014Overall, great food, very nice and comfortable outdoor seating, never felt rushed, nice service for our table. Some of the waiters standing around the bar could have been friendlier if just to make a good impression.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First trip to ArtisanOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/9/2014We had dinner reservations for 4. We were going to be a bit late and the restaurant was very flxible with us. We were seated right away and the wait staff was fantastic. Our drinks were creative and tasty. My only concern was that, for the price, the dinner menu is very limited and not very creative. Choices were very standard (meat, fish, chicken, pasta) and presentation was boring. Everything served on white plates and nothing unique about the presentation or taste of the food. The dessert menu was also limited but the items we ordered were tasty (cheesecake and bag of donuts). We've also eaten at L'Escale in Greenwich and found that to be a bit different. I would be willing to have brunch/lunch.Special Features:
- The following 243 reviews are from the Artisan reviews archive.
- Mixed FeelingsjustalocalVIPDined on 7/31/2014We dine at Artisan frequently.Recently, the pricing on their "new" menu and wine list definitely caught our attention. If you know wines, and have dined multiple times at a restaurant, the not so subtle adjustments in pricing are notable, especially with a bit of a decline in the presentation and quality of a few dishes.Artisan has grown in popularity, is attached to a hotel, and attracts an affluent crowd.It can command a premium and has since its' opening.Fortunately, for those of us who know the area and dine out frequently, we have many good options. Maybe naive, but even with an affluent crowd, price vs value should count for something. Location and ambience will probably sustain Artisan.We will return, but not so frequently.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very pleasantly surprised!WaltVIPDined on 7/23/2014Lived in Fairfield Co for 12 years, moved out 6 years ago and taking a biz trip to the area found the restaurant of open table, made the reservation, and 1st impression getting there was "how come I never came here before" and then I found out it opened 5 years ago. Great food, spot, ambience, services...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Art You Can EnjoyOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/22/2014Great outdoor bar/lounge area if the weather is nice. Food is inventive and quite tasty, with emphasis on locally sourced/inspired. And some of the better people watching around with plenty of aged but well-heeled lock-jawed locals in the dining room.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Weather permittingdeedleDined on 7/13/2014Our return to artisian on Sunday evening worked out beautifully. The night was clear, our outdoor table secure and menus from the dining room and tavern choices available. Prior visits to the more formal dining room proved tasty but deadly and not worth it. This particular evening had it all and something for everyone (Grammy, teens and us/middle agents). Fried pickles and shrimp cocktail a must! Dorado fish special great. Sophicated but not pretentious. Will revisit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beware of poor serviceLmurphVIPDined on 7/12/2014My husband and I have been coming to this restaurant since it opened a few years ago, and have had many wonderful experiences here. The atmosphere outside cannot be beat. Last night's meal was marred with poor service. It looks like they have turned over their staff. There was huge misunderstanding in the kitchen and with the servers and our came very late. We asked to see the manager after our server waited 45 minutes to explain the issue to us. Manager came over and it was clear he is a TOTAL arrogant jerk. Chuckling as he leaned over our table as we were explaining the issues and said basically "what do you want from me? Your food tastes good right?" Never apologized and never treated us like customers that matter.
- Artistic Food for the PaletteElisasfDined on 7/10/2014I have been to Artisan four times. It does not disappoint. It's five stats all the way. The restaurant is beautiful with a great outdoor space, great bar area, and elegant dining room, the food is delicious, beautifully presented and plentiful. The service is impeccable. The atmosphere is great for friends casually meeting for lunch, business clients, romantic dinners, and celebrations of all kinds.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely SettingLenoxVIPDined on 7/1/2014We were there on a weekday nght. had a lovely table outside with an excelelnt server. the food was prettily presented but not as good as it could be. Star was the tuna crudo appetizer; the shrimp cocktail was disappointing. Just great setting and a way to eat outside without facing a busy street.Special Features:
- Great Food & Wine but Very LoudOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 6/28/2014We enjoyed a very special celebratory dinner on a warm summer, Saturday evening. We requested and sat at an outdoor table on the patio. The noise of the crowd and pick-up scene at the bar on the patio was somewhat disruptive and overshadowed the intimacy of the evening. However, the food (appetizers of Carpaccio and cheese plate as well as dinner entrees of Faroe Island salmon and Amish chicken breast) and wine (from the Old and New World wine list) were wonderful.Special Features:
- MurdevDined on 6/23/2014This restaurant is such a gem for the Fairfield area. The atmosphere, food and service were well above average. The outdoor seating and bar area are a great offering in warmer seasons. This restaurant is a must when dining or traveling through the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Doesn't DisappointSteveTDined on 6/15/20144th time we've been to the Artisan. The food has always been excellent. Service has been somewhat uneven, running the gamat from fair to excellent. If you are interested in giving your culinary taste buds a treat, the Artisan doesn't disappoint.Special Features:
- DisappointedDined on 6/4/2014The food was uneven. Some dishes were excellent, others not so good. ( I did not finish my entree and nobody asked or seemed to care.that I sent back an almost full plate.) Servers were knowledgeable and friendly. Over all, a disappointment.Special Features:
- Always a treatPickyeaterDined on 6/4/2014This was my fourth visit to Artisan and the menu has been creative, healthy and delicious each time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/25/2014we went there for our anniversary , and the food was terrific, the only thing that made this not amazing was the server was not educated on the food. nor accommodating, i needed to fill my wine glass myself from the cold bucket three times, i would go back again , and great food !! regards richardSpecial Features:
- Absolutely loved this place,OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/16/2014Fantastic restaurant in a beautiful setting, valet parking, service quiet ad quick, above average food quality and preparation. Menu has variety to suit all tastes, but not children, we had an 8:45 pm reservation though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Rude management staffEatoutalotDined on 5/11/2014We went for brunch after having made reservations more than a month earlier. At reservation time I was told I could not request outside seating. When we arrived and asked to sit outside, we were rudely told all outside seating was already reserved! When I asked how that was possible I basically got a shrug of the shoulders . I asked to speak with the manager who was equally as dismissive and rude as the teenage hostess. When I again expressed my confusion and disappointment they could not have cared less and didn't even offer a drink or any other consolation ... Basically, one gets the impression eating there that we are just privileged to step through their doors. And the food is waaaaay overpriced! Save your money and go somewhere else !Special Features:
- Beautiful, attentive and deliciousbirthdaydinersDined on 5/7/2014My friend and I celebrated her birthday at Artisan, and it was the perfect place to relax and enjoy excellent cuisine from a creative and varied menu. Artisan is elegant in an unimposing way, light and airy, with very attentive and friendly servers. In all the experience in the main dining room was first rate.Special Features: